Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is TM turned on by default on fresh installs of MacOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

nitsuga posted:

I swear I’ve seen it where different subdomains throw it for a loop. So I’d check the domain for both of the different pages of the site. If they’re different, I’d add the login info for the other domain.

I think I get it now. Its just these weird pages that ask for login and password on different pages. The page asking for login also just looks like its asking for an email thats not part of a login. So safari doesn't know to use my stored logins because it doesn't know its part of a login.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can Mac apps self delete? I guess that's not impossible? I had a (not App Store) paid app self delete. The developer has a new fork of it which requires a new paid for key. If you try to put the key for the old version in it politely tells you that you need to buy a new key.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did apple or any other 3rd party developers actually take advantage of Mac pros with dual(or more) GPUs(intel days). I’m assuming multi gpu is dead currently with apple silicon moving forward.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What happens if a new apple silicon Mac has multiple user accounts all signed into iCloud and Find My and needs to be reset? Can any admin account reset the Mac or do all users have to sign out of iCloud/Find My even if they are non admin?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When you reinstalled macOS did you wipe the drive or installed on top of the old install? I honestly have no idea how any of the new security stuff works with the stand alone chips and their secret storage.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What Mac model? What macOS version? I can try a test on this new MBA I got.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did Mac games really tick up since Apple Silicon? When I search for Mac native games I just get Apple Silicon results. No intel. Was Intel Mac gaming so bad you can count the native indie titles on both hands?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm curious to see Death Stranding graphics on Metal3 vs PS5 and how the different Mac GPU configurations scale with performance in a game like that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kibner posted:

The Ultra and Max are two separate GPU slabs of silicon, I believe, so they encounter the SLI issue of how to coordinate them to best draw frames.

Is that how they are exposed in the Metal API? As 2 logical GPUs? That's a bummer but not like anyone is going to be buying an Ultra for gaming but it would be interesting none the less. I guess we're back to the same problem of the 2013 Trashcan Mac Pro with 2 GPUs and no apps that could use them both?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 28, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I haven't liked the landscape photo backgrounds since High Sierra.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I kinda just want to know what the M2 Ultra GPU is equivalent to when fully metal optimized. The data doesn’t really exist yet for that analysis right? Need RE8 and DS to come out for some good data points? But not that it matters realistically since the Ultra chips aren’t targeted towards gamers at all.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wonder if Metal ‘3’ has feature parity with DX12 so there isn’t anything visually it can’t do but a modern PC/console can do for some reason.

Also Apple doesn’t seem to specify which metal version their desktop and mobile GPUs support.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

To those folks who'd be interested, OpenCore Legacy Patcher v.1.0.0 has been released..

OCLP 1.0.0 will allow many older Macs to run with Sonoma 14.0, including many of the just-cut-off 2016 and 2017 Macs.

The only big caveat with OCLP 1.0.0 is that there is no T1 support, which means stuff that needs the cryptographic framework like Touch ID, Apple Pay, and Apple ID login won't work.

Wait didn't Apple Pay work with Macs without a T chip on supported releases of macOS? I know my 2015 iMac does on macOS 12.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Just upgraded a TrashCan from Monterey up to Sonoma, runs great but need to address the desktop, it's all white for some reason.. YouTube previews not showing in Safari..

Ty for your service. I will wait with mine. Did you see my post about trashcan ram? I assume yours is already maxed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are macOS settings stored in the cloud somehow so when I get a new Mac or fresh install the OS I can retrieve all my settings from a previous install?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why not just pull those shows directly into FCP as source material and use only the parts you want.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I went to the Mac App store and saw that Apple Remote Desktop was $79.99. Last time I checked about 2yr ago I thought it was less? Never the less I tried to buy it but it said my mac (2015 MBP) was too old and it required MacOS 13 or later. Am I SOL? Can I still somehow get an older build? Can I maybe buy it on a newer supported Mac and then on the older mac download the last compatible version?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 8, 2024

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't know if Apple changed the mouse accel but I used to feel the difference between mac and win/linux all the time but now I don't feel it. I use linux and windows at work everyday since 2010 and the mouse accel in both windows and linux feels the same. Maybe my brain rewired itself over the last 15yr.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine using magic mouse for 14yr until your brain rewires itself to like it because you didn't know you could use any other mouse or other mice exist.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Model Camper posted:

What are you trying to do? Every Mac has VNC support built-in, no extra software necessary. Type vnc://destination.ip.goes.here into the address bar in Safari.

If you need to remote into Windows machines, Microsoft RDP is free on the App Store (or you can also use VNC for that).

Ah thanks. Got this to work on the local network but couldn't get it to work from my home to my work. Maybe sleep is bad on the remote machine?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Model Camper posted:

Nice! Ah yeah, wake on LAN can still be flaky in TYOOL 2024. I’ve had really good luck using ZeroTier to remote into sleeping machines though, if you’re able to install software on that work machine. I do this to remote into my parents machine for tech support, even when they aren’t home.

Cool I’ll try it out. It’s not a work machine. It’s my personal machine but at work so I can do whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone know how macOS displays apps with respect to color gamut? I’m assuming the default config is reduced/standard gamut and if your app needs to display wide gamut you need to set some specific flags in code? Otherwise displaying rando 3rd party apps in full gamut of modern Mac displays would probably look wrong/bad.

Here’s my situation, I’m using specific HP Remote Desktop app from my local Mac to a work machine. The work machine is setup to display in P3 color but I don’t think there’s a way to manually set my local Remote Desktop app to also display in P3 when it wasn’t coded to do that.