Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm downloading Lion for my MBP at home right now, but I have 2 machines at work that I would like to upgrade (they are my macs, this isn't a :files: question since we are allowed 5 installs per Lion purchase) but they are connected to lovely, lovely DSL. Trying to download a 3.5 gig file on those crap phonelines would be bullshit, so can I just throw the .dmg file onto a usb stick and upgrade the work macs via that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

You get unlimited installs with lion btw plus 2 vm's per machine.

Yes, you can image the dmg to a usb stick or burn it to a dvd with disc utility.

Thanks dude.

flyboi posted:

Do it before you install Lion on your machine, it will delete the installer after you install it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: is the location for that in the Downloads folder once it's done dling from the App Store?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo Mission Control owns owns owns.

On the other hand, I really can't see using launchpad at all; I've been too used to Quicksilver (and now Alfred) for too many years. Hell, last week I actually opened my App folder for the first time in a few years and noticed there was poo poo in there that I hadn't used since 2007 :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

decypher posted:

Launch Pad is pretty bad rear end when you're balls deep in a full-screen app and want to load another program quickly. Three-finger swipe left or right for the win.

Three-finger swipe does loving own.

Now Chrome just has to update it's gesture control. :mad:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What is "this"?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My co-worker upgraded to Lion the other day, and it froze during the upgrade. When he got it going again, all of his mail was gone. He apparently got in touch with Fruit and they put remote desktop on his late 2010 iMac and helped him recover everything off of his servers, but the past five years of emails is gone. These include important emails from good friends etc.

Luckily he has a time machine backup. My question is: how does he restore the old emails from the Time Machine, and after that, where are they located so he can back them up on a DVD?

he;lp :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

dexter6 posted:

I want to get a website up for my wife's pastry business and was wondering if I had any other WYSIWYG HTML editors options other than iWeb.

Anybody have any recommendations? Free is preferred, but I'm open to anything.

Thanks!

It's not free, but Rapidweaver is a great wysiwyg web design package that allows you to get into the guts of the code if you want to, but don't HAVE to.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

Open up Mail, then run Time Machine. You'll enter the TM interface within Mail so you can pull back those messages.

Now, TM will only show you messages up since the account was created, so if his Mail accounts were RE-created as part of the recovery you'll have to pull back the ~/Library/Mail folder and do some manual recovery, or just overwrite the current folder with the backup.

I'll pass that on to him, hopefully it will work. Thanks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This should really be in the OP. I have no reason to go back to Chrome at this point.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

duck monster posted:

e: Yes internet tells me it is intentional and chflags nohidden ~/Library fixes it. Someone needs to punch whoever at Apple HQ came up with this idea

Oh jesus thanks for putting that up. Another thing that should go into the OP.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

Open up Mail, then run Time Machine. You'll enter the TM interface within Mail so you can pull back those messages.

Now, TM will only show you messages up since the account was created, so if his Mail accounts were RE-created as part of the recovery you'll have to pull back the ~/Library/Mail folder and do some manual recovery, or just overwrite the current folder with the backup.

By the way, my co-worker says THANK YOU for this, it worked like a charm.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there a way to actually type emoji in OS X other than just dragging them from the special characters window into a text field? ❔

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I fuckin' love my new 13" MBA, but to be honest, the type is really loving tiny in Safari, resulting in me having to command-+ every time I open a new page. I've told Safari to bump up the font size in it's preferences, but it doesn't seem to stick. Is there a way to be able to have Safari permanently be able to display at a larger size overall so I don't have to whip out reading glasses all the time?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

Have you tried Prefs->Advanced->Never use font sizes smaller than [_]?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

unruly posted:

http://www.panic.com/~wade/picker/

I've been using this for almost a year now. Much better.

God drat I love Panic.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My co-worker is thinking of going back to Snow Leopard because some of the programs he needs to use are unfortunately older Rosetta based apps which won't run on Lion. I've heard of Lion Server being able to run VMs of 10.7, but I was wondering if it could run 10.6 in a VM environment so he can use older Rosetta apps? If so, how does one go about installing and running a 10.6 VM?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

Buying Snow Leopard Server for $999 :downs: (that's the only 10.6 that's actually licensed to run in a VM...not that it's officially sold from them anymore afaik). People have been doing it with the client version for a while, this is old as hell but it might work. Follow the source link and look in the long comment thread, looks like people have successfully done it with more recent versions but I didn't check for details.

I was wondering about running Lion Server and if it would run a 10.6 VM though...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

That doesn't really change anything cause Lion Server doesn't change anything EULA wise for 10.6 afaik. Lion lets you run two instances of Lion in VMs, 10.6 Server lets you run it in a VM, but the regular 10.6 doesn't (but again that seems easy enough to work around).

As long as it actually works under Lion's VM, that's what matters to me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've set up a new Mini to my plasma tv as an HTPC and all is great but occasionally I will turn off the tv while the mini is still running and later when I come back and turn everything back on, the mouse cursor will disappear. It still functions as I can scroll around with my trackpad and activate links, etc but the pointer itself is invisible. The only thing that seems to cure this is rebooting my mini; turning the trackpad on and off doesn't help.

How can I cure this? Running the latest version of Lion.

he;lp

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been having an intermittent problem with my wireless set up. Once in a while, one of the devices that I connect with will suddenly not be able to find the network (usually it is my MBA or my iPhone, but I've had all my devices run into this at one time or another). I can connect to the network manually, but it will refuse to recognize the Password to connect, insisting that whatever I type in is incorrect.

The AEBS is last year's model with the latest firmware, it connects 2 iMacs (one running snow leopard, one Lion), a MBA, a Mini, a Mac Pro, an Xbox 360, PS3, iPhone and occasionally an iPad and Kindle.

he;lp

Edit: I have a second AEBS running in the house as a bridge, it is also last years model with the latest firmware.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Somehow I've killed the dashboard on my MBA (I think in Mission Control I clicked the X to close it's window) and now I cannot get it back. I can click on the app but it does nothing. There are a few stickies in there that I really would like to get the info off of. How can I relaunch the Dashboard?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Space Racist posted:

Does it persist after rebooting? Or does that erase the info on the stickies?

Anyway, I'd check Keyboard under System Preferences, you can set a manual keyboard shortcut for the dashboard. Alternately, check Mission Control (again under System Preferences), and see if the box for 'make dashboard its own space' is checked.

Persists after reboot, a manual shortcut also doesn't bring up the dashboard, and the mission control dashboard box is checked. I'm really starting to wonder what the gently caress.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

El Jackalope posted:

I've been having an intermittent problem with my wireless set up. Once in a while, one of the devices that I connect with will suddenly not be able to find the network (usually it is my MBA or my iPhone, but I've had all my devices run into this at one time or another). I can connect to the network manually, but it will refuse to recognize the Password to connect, insisting that whatever I type in is incorrect.

The AEBS is last year's model with the latest firmware, it connects 2 iMacs (one running snow leopard, one Lion), a MBA, a Mini, a Mac Pro, an Xbox 360, PS3, iPhone and occasionally an iPad and Kindle.

he;lp

Edit: I have a second AEBS running in the house as a bridge, it is also last years model with the latest firmware.

Still having problems with this until I reboot my AEBS by unplugging it for a while. Anyone?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

blk96gt posted:

Try this in a terminal
code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO
killall Dock

Hey presto! Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My iMac is almost 4 years old and I'm not contemplating instead of getting a new machine, just buying a thunderbolt display and using my new 13" MBA as my main machine. Of course, this would involve putting all my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on an external drive, which isn't too bit of an issue, but I have some questions.

Since I'll be doing this, is there an easy way to merge libraries of both programs? Such as, I have a bunch of photos on my MBA that aren't on my iMac's iPhoto library, and I want to transfer them over easily so they will also be on the large external drive. If I also am on the road and put some pictures or new music on my MBA will I have to do a dance where I am constantly reassigning the music/photo Library whenever I hook up to the external drive?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just learned that iCloud won't be synching my keychain like MobileMe did. Should I just bite the bullet and get 1Password then? This was a feature that I really liked and kind of relied upon.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Can someone link the safari extension that gives you a single url bar that you can use to search like Chrome has? I can't find it for some reason.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

coldplay chiptunes posted:

http://hackemist.com/SafariOmnibar/

Great, thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy OS X thread- I'm helping a friend of mine with her iMac; she's wanting to wipe the drive because she is going to be selling it to a roommate and using her MacBook pro as her primary machine. The problem is that she doesn't have her install DVD anywhere, it went missing some time ago. We do, however, have the Lion installer that she kept when she upgraded. Can we put the iMac into target mode, hook that up to her MBP, then use the MBP's disk utility to wipe the drive and then instal Lion using the installer we downloaded from the App Store? I remember when it came out, Lion was an upgrade app only but wasn't sure if that's changed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thaaaaaank you!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

There's also an official tool now that is even easier than this.
http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433

Even more useful as I left my USB drive at home. She has a new external drive with 2 partitions. Once I use this tool should I be able to erase the partition that the lion recovery deal is on?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy all- I just got my mom a current gen 21" iMac to replace her first gen intel iMac as it was really starting to creak along. I am going to get her Windows 7 as she needs it for a few programs for work. At this point which is the easier virtualization software? She's not going to be doing any gaming or anything on this, so those kinds of stats don't matter at all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm going to ask here instead of IYG.

A friend of mine just got a new iMac, her first computer in years since she's been broke more or less. The thing is, she has an iPhone 4 running iOS 5, and it's been synched up to her work computer since she's not had a computer for home.

I told her to hold off on synching her iPhone to her new iMac as I am worried that it will wipe out all of her phone's addresses, photos, etc. Is there a way she can backup her iPhone to her work's iMac and then transfer the information to her new home iMac, and if so, how?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wolffenstein posted:

If this isn't possible, then setup iCloud backup on the iPhone and let it do a backup. If anything is lost when syncing with her home iMac, then she can restore from the iCloud backup.

The work iMac isn't running iCloud, and numerous people have had iCloud wipe out their phone's info when they turn it on, so the external drive is the best. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

chimz posted:

I believe you can right click on the phone in the new iMac, select Back Up, then restore the phone and then restore from that backup. From then on the phone will be married to the iMac, but have all the stuff from the backup preserved. I think I've done this before, but no guarantees that it will work for you.

The best option (as others have said) is just to copy over the iTunes library from her work machine, including the "iTunes Library" database file. Make sure to do a consolidate library first so that all your media files are in that folder before copying it over.

Here is a step by step guide (Use the 'external drive' section): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

I'll let her know that as well. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Who's hosed? This guy!

I lost my backup hard drive last week thanks to WD apparently having faulty chips on their caviar green drives. That was poo poo, but I didn't have any critical files lost.

I got an email today notifying me that my server was approaching critical mass, so I opened up my cpanel and noticed that my primary email was taking up a huge amount of the space, so I decided to delete all the old emails on the server. No problem since I had them on multiple machines at home.

This, unexpectedly to me, deleted all the emails on that account on all of my machines at home, even though I had put in mail the behavior "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing (all messages and their attachments)".

Are my emails recoverable at all at this point? Are they erased off of my hard drive suddenly? And how can I prevent this poo poo from happening if I10. need to clean up space on my server again?

Using Lion 10.7.2 and Mail 5.1. The account that was hosed is an IMAP account.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SimpleCoax posted:

Do you use time machine?

That's what was in the aforementioned hard drive that became completely destroyed thanks to WD's faulty chips. :(

wolffenstein posted:

Sorry man, but that setting in Mail means keep a local copy of whatever is on the email server. If it isn't on the email server, then Mail will automatically delete it.

Given your bad luck with local backup drives, I recommend you look into an online backup service such as CrashPlan or Carbonite.

The wording made me think "great, Mail will keep a hard copy on my hard drive and it's all ok!", not how it actually operates. I have no idea why it was thought making it so your emails are completely wiped out on your machine if the server is wiped would be a good idea. :psyduck:

Yeah, I'm going to get a loving carbonate account. I found a backup of emails from 2008-july 2011, so at least there is that, but there was a poo poo-ton of stuff that was basically irreplaceable due to this series of events. gently caress.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 5, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What are these "faulty chips?"

After searching long and far on WD's Caviar Green failures (which apparently are pretty loving common) I came upon a couple of different hard drive recovery service sites that claim that a control chip on the pcb of these hard drive is apparently very susceptible to heat, and will do one of two things: burn out and many times actually have the heads crash, causing catastrophic failure, or actually BURN and potentially cause electrical fires. Many people are having these hard drives suddenly fail and become completely irresponsive to any form of software disk repair. Originally I took the hd out of it's enclosure and tried it in another and nothing will recognize it as a drive at all. At best the drive clicks for a few minutes and that is it.

Lesson: never buy a WD Caviar Green drive.

Edit: the drive failed with no warning whatsoever and was 6 months old. Worked like a charm until suddenly the mac it was attached to told me that I had suddenly disconnected a hard drive improperly.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

To each their own, but I've experienced no issues with my Caviar Green drive. :shrug:

I have another that I use as a media drive that is running fine after over a year. Nonetheless, I'm getting everything off of it now and not expecting it to do anything other than fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Choadmaster posted:

Actually, IMAP is fine for him. He just needs to make a local mail folder/folders ("on my Mac") and move anything he wants gone from the server over to the local folder(s). I do this all the time with my various IMAP accounts. I use them all on various computers/iPhone/webmail so IMAP is necessary, but once messages are old enough (say, a couple years old) I use Mail on my main computer and just drag them from their IMAP folders to my "Archives" folder on my Mac. No need to even explicitly delete them from the server, since moving them from the IMAP folder does that implicitly. Easy as pie.

This helps me more than you know. Thanks much!