Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Awwww yisss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What’s the easiest way to download ALL of my photos & videos from the Photos app into a big rear end hard drive? That will be safe from being deleted from iCloud? Just as a backup of the iCloud backup.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm probably going to pick up an M2 air today to replace my aging 2015 MBP and I think I'm going to try and stick to Safari for most of my browsing from now on for the new machine and only using firefox for some odd cases. But one of the things I want to ditch is OnePassword- I'm tired of going back and forth opening it when I need a password for firefox and Safari and Mac OS's keychain works fine across all my other devices. But the one thing I think I'll miss is that 1Pass keeps a lot of my software licenses and membership numbers in a place for easy retrieval and I find that changing information on 1password for credit cards is easier than Keychain frankly. Is there a decent replacement for non-password and login info that would work well?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cold on a Cob posted:

Encrypted note in Notes? That’s my plan if I leave 1p.

Honestly I had no clue that Notes could do that and it's probably the best option for what I'm looking for. :v:

Edit: my primary gripe when using 1Password and Keychain is a lot of times I'll make a new password in Safari for a site then if I go to Firefox and use 1Password and hey ho no password for the site (or if I have to change/update a password and do it through one instead of the other it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to go through and find the password from the other app). I will say 1Password has over Keychain is that it is way easier to find, edit, and delete poo poo.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 12, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Grabbed one, thank you and thanks for the info links- now that I have a machine that it can work on I'll give it a whirl.

edit: jesus christ Boosts turns every webpage into your own myspace lol

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 14, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there a way to change the default search engine in Arc? I've been using duck duck go for so long it's jarring to have google back in my search.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

101 posted:

Settings > General > Search engine?

and if you click 'Search Settings...' in that menu you can get to all the under the hood standard Chromium settings :ssh:

:doh:

Thanks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I recently got an M2 MBA and it's great especially coming from my 2015 MBP, but this is my first usae of Ventura. I'm trying to make the entire system font larger (I'm 57, my eyesight isn't what it used to be) and it seems like they've made everything granular when it comes to enlarging the font (such as the old command + route) but I need to make things such as the menu font larger. I know I can make desktop fonts bigger but it seems like Apple is saying "lower the screen resolution" as the solution. Is there another way that I'm missing?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Eh, some additional control..

You also get to pick default size for hover text and some others..

Yeah Hover Text is way more distracting than anything for me. Ah well.

Also sucks to see apple is sticking with its guns on the incredibly lovely control panel. It makes things harder to find. :/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

~/Tax Documents

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

In the Mail app, when you first start getting mails from a subscription list it offers to unsubscribe for you, but then eventually that option stops showing up. Is there a way to bring that back up via a command or something? I forgot to unsubscribe to something and I cannot find the link so hopefully the OS can do something about that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s just scanning the email for the word “unsubscribe” or something similar and surfacing the link

Ah this is a great idea. Thank you!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

~Coxy posted:

I created a radar for a weird 56K modem bug in like 10.1 and sometime around 10.7 I got an email saying it had been fixed.

By the way happy 20th anniversary of your avatar

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

~Coxy posted:

You remembered :unsmith:

Honestly your avatar was how I found out they removed that sass back then. It was the precursor of getting news from a Tweet.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What's the current recommended copy and paste app? I have a few things that I know I always want to keep in 'storage' to paste onto documents when I use them a few times per month but I don't want to open Notes or TextEdit and go searching for them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

I moved to alfred since built-in snippets don’t support line breaks (at least as of my version of MacOS)

Alfred like the old Sherlock alternative? The search engine thing?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

On my iPhone iOS allows me to make keyboard shortcuts ( such as when you type gently caress it knows I don't mean duck and I can type " l l a p (without spaces) to get the 🖖 emoji.) How do I do this in MacOS so when I type "hmmyes" for the :hmmyes: smilie here?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

settings > keyboard > text replacements

It's been so long since I've done it on the phone that I forgot that part and was searching in accessibility :doh: Thank you!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

Wait, what? :stare:
There's no way they let you add your own emojis on an non-jailbroken iPhone or MacBook, is there? :ohdear:

No- I just have shortcuts I use such as "g o s h" becomes ✨🙀✨

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

This is not an iPhone emoji.
I'm confused.
Teach me your Jedi tricks.

It's an SA emoji - when I type "hmmyes" it becomes "hmm yes" because the mac's system thinks I'm misspelling it and correcting it. Since I use the emoji here a lot I get tired of correcting it all the time, that's all. This only works when I use it here for SA's own emojis when you type the ":" before and after the trigger word from that big list on that page.

edit: the reason I was asking about it in this thread was because I had forgotten how I did it on my phone since it's been so long since I had done it and I was hoping that there was a setting here on the Mac that did the same thing.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 26, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

Oh.Also, yes, I know.
Somehow I thought you were inserting new emojis into iMessage.
Yeah, I've long been aware of the "this is what I want to type, do not autocorrect" thing, I just thought you found something cool :v:

Yeah, sorry I worded it poorly. :shobon:

Hmm "shobon" is another I have to change so it doesn't keep changing that to "shown"

yeah it does work well with Unicode as well ☭

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:chanpop: I didn’t realize that

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hypnophant posted:

we had the hockey puck mouse when I was a kid and i didn't think it was so bad, but i had smaller hands back then. i've only tried the magic mouse in stores and you could not pay me to daily it

Reminder that the forerunner of the iMac hockey puck was the NeXT 2 button ADB mouse lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

I use WordStar 4.0 on a 286.

This is the best option as long as you have one of those tall and narrow full page displays for the ultimate experience

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Imagine using magic mouse

lmao

lol

edit: I remember there being an app that would allow for copy and pasting multiple items and saving them to a clipboard so you could paste saved items whenever needed instead of say opening a text file that you use often and C&P from that. Does anyone know the name of this program? I finally have a use for it but can't remember what it's called.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 20, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks everybody! Maccy looks like it perfectly Suits My Needs™ so I'll get that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Model Camper posted:

There’s a bunch of these. I use an open source one called Maccy. A popular paid option with more festures is Pastebot. Once you work a clipboard manager into your workflow it’s so hard to go back.

Now my one question since I got Maccy: how do I copy and paste and completely delete the formating? A couple of my most used texts for emailing clients I saved on a Stick-ies notes and when I copy them and paste, the text includes a yellow background color. I've gone into Maccy's preferences and toggled on the "Paste without formating" switch on but it doesn't seem to help this problem.