Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there anything built into OSX like the Windows Aero Snap function where I could use command keys to fix a window to the left half, right half, etc. of the screen?

BetterSnapTool is what I use. It's super simple and works very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

What version of Windows 10 is going to work best with Bootcamp Assistant? I just tried to install 1803 and it failed hard; to the point where BCA couldnt even roll back and I had to deal with re-partitioning my disk by hand.

Just want to be sure I teleport far enough back in time to get a successful install and then update.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone run into graphical artifacts specifically only in Chrome on the MBP 16"?

I turned off GPU switching and it seems to have resolved; but my sample size is small and it feels like bandaid.

No issues in Safari.

Wondering if this is software or hardware causing issues here.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Just upgraded to Catalina only to find that ControllerMate is no more. :woz:

Can anyone recommend a software to give Windows mouse curves?

I would seriously pay like $50 to get the curves JUST right

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

I've got a decent-sized external monitor attached to my rMBP and am trying to do some research. I open up 4-6 windows (Safari/Word/PowerPoint mainly) and I'd like a piece of software where I can drag those windows on to a monitor, press a shortcut and it automatically tiles them. Does something like that exist?

BetterSnapTool does this or at least very close

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

What's the status of M1 / WinARM virtualization/emulation? Usable yet?

Thinking about ditching my Windows desktop for a studio as I literally only have one Windows specific application at this point..

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I always get Apple Care on my laptops (because theyre important to me, and I use them professionally - its more about ensuring I'm never down for a significant time more than evaluating the cost benefit) and phone (because obvious reasons).

I generally dont bother with Apple Care on desktops (which I use partially professionally, but primarily personally) and iPad (because frankly I dont really care how long I'm down for).

Basically: in my opinion dont exclusively look at the cost benefit, but also the impact of a device loss-of-use.

Additional data point: chip shortage is pretty real right now and may get increasingly worse over the course of the year; lag time on devices could get worse, and in my experience Apple Care is pretty fast even when retail units arent available for 30+ days.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've been using my iPad + Pencil + Sidecar to do a lot of whiteboarding. The experience is middling to decent.
for whatever reason the connection process resets some of my primary display configurations which is my main annoyance

Is there something better for this purpose if my #1 priority is just zoom whiteboarding 99% of the time?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Camtasia has the best simple editor I’ve used and can do basically everything you want.

I’m an idiot and can make pretty solid edits with it.

Im not 100% about webm support but I’d be shocked if it doesn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm using Sidecar with a 12.9 M1 iPad Pro + Base Studio. The Studio is wired (wifi turned off).

I'm trying to sidecar via usb-c connected to a rear thunderbolt port.

Unfortunately, sidecar gets randomly extremely laggy in this configuration; until I turn on wifi. (and can turn it back off without an issue, my session continues and lag is gone)
Similarly, if I keep wifi on, sometimes it'll be laggy until I restart wifi, turning it off alone does not fix anything.

I have no idea why this would be happening nor what I can do to fix it; all I can think of is a script to manually cycle my wifi adapter every hour or two; but this seems like a real dumb way to solve this. What else can I consider?