Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

lolling @ this

Rumors are fun. Looks like most of the stuff will be held off for the upcoming Fall iPad event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Sometimes I don't want my phone to unlock until I ask it to, not any time I look at it.

Just don't swipe up?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been running Catalina since beta 1 and pretty much every 32-bit app that's still being actively developed was updated a couple months ago.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I use a 2017 mbp 13" as my daily driver and I had to use a Dell 5530 to do some testing last week and omg the keys feel so so good. Stupid butterfly keys.

I type must faster on newer keyboards with less travel. I used an old MacBook Air last week and it felt mushy and slow.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I found a cool Github project that takes any Chromecast/UPNP devices and makes them compatible with AirPlay. It has to be running on a computer at all times on your network, though:

https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

Docker version: https://github.com/1activegeek/docker-airconnect

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

qutius posted:

This sounds pretty handy. Have you tried it out yet?

Yep! I have a server running Unraid, so I have the docker running so I can Airplay to my Vizio Chromecast soundbar and Roku streaming stick in the bedroom. It looks like Sonos speakers work great as well, but mine already have Airplay 2 functionality.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use Spark but they're probably reading my e-mails or harvesting my data or some poo poo. It's pretty nice.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Some routers have an option for a back-up DNS, so I usually have a Pi Hole docker with Google as my back-up DNS. Always VPN into my home network when I'm on public wifi. I really need to setup a Hackintosh docker so I can finally try out Xcode server continuous integration.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

~Coxy posted:

If Diablo 4 really doesn't come out on Mac then I think I may be done. :woz:

They'd be stupid not to release it on Switch/Mac.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There's nothing stopping anybody from loading up Windows with Bootcamp or Parallels.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

An annoying amount of printer and scanner drivers, Microsoft Office 2008/2011, Acclivity AccountEdge (fairly popular Mac accounting software, the vendor actually states in giant letters that it will never be upgraded to 64 bit so your options are never upgrade past Mojave, run it in a VM, run a web version or run the Windows version which will continue to be upgraded and supported.)

I couldn't imagine supporting an enterprise/b2b software solution that won't ever be upgraded to 64-bit. CPAs are the worst people to develop software for - if they had things their way, they'd still be doing accounting in DOS.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 28, 2020

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use Keychain in addition to 1Password, but I don't know how anybody can manage all their passwords just with Keychain - I can't tell you how many times it's added multiple different usernames/passwords to the same websites. The interface is horrible unfriendly if you actually want to organize and view your passwords from all of your devices, too. The other thing I love most about 1Password is its ability to be used as a 2fa app with automatic copying of codes into my browser/phone.

I think 1Password will do well in the enterprise space, but it does seem inevitable for Apple to release a much more feature-rich password management app that will likely cut into 1Password's consumer business.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Eero even rolled out an update to support HomeKit, which lets you easily limit the internet connectivity of IoT/Smart connected devices in your home. I wish Unifi's Ubiquiti line played better with HomeKit stuff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

housefullofgarbage posted:

Is anybody on this forum on the Panic Nova beta? I use VS Code but I want a native app and this one is looking quite nice.

I’m typically a VS code user and I’ve been using Nova for a few months now - publishing updates to my website and the live preview are both really great. Admittedly, I’m not too particular about third party extensions, but I haven’t found anything that Nova can’t do compared to VS Code.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

That's what I installed- through home-brew but it should be the latest version - and it still came up with a warning message.

And as I'm here does anyone have a good solution for taking a solution for taking a screenshot and auto uploading to imgur and putting the url in clipboard? It would be great if it's something I can put in the Touch Bar to make that thing slightly useful. There are a lot of options but most seem unmaintained or for older versions of macOS

It sucks that they went subscription model, but Dropzone 3/4 has an extension that lets you drag an image to it and automatically upload and copy the URL to your clipboard for you.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 9, 2020

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

Has anyone here installed the developer beta yet?

I have, and it already feels more snappy than pretty much every other build of Catalina I've used. Some third party apps I use are broken (Bartender 3, Karabiner), but overall it seems fine. There isn't anything I can see that is really worth updating for, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Roadie posted:

Dozer works fine for me, for an alternative.

Edit: Also, Control Center is a definite step forward for UI minimalists, and will be more so if they add the remaining stuff from iOS to it, like Home controls.

That's kinda how I feel about the iOS beta as well - sure, the new features are fun to play with, but you're really just waiting until developers start releasing their own customized widgets. I'm really excited to see what third party developers do with widgets for smart controlled devices.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Taima posted:

So is that Big Sur beta stable enough to throw on my poo poo or what?

It’s not really worth it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kgibson posted:

Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for annotating/adding text to pdfs? I find Preview so clunky and frustrating for doing so but I am also not super interested in paying for Acrobat if I don't have to.

I swear by PDF Expert, the only thing it's missing is OCR (which they're working on). It's a little expensive though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Everybody do yourselves a favor and setup some custom browser gestures in BetterTouchTool:

3 Finger Swipe Up = Open New Tab
3 Finger Swipe Down = Close Current Tab
3 Finger Swipe Left/Right = Move to Left/Right Tab
3 Finger Click = Middle Click/Open Link in New Tab

....I have way too many custom application-specific gestures.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's amazing how much snappier Monterey is on my 2018 MacBook Pro - Big Sur really ran like trash on it for some reason. Anybody else feel the same?

I was heavily considering picking up an M1X MacBook Pro, but I guess I'll wait.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Alfred's clipboard manager is amazing for putting together work documents where I'm copying and pasting a lot of the same content. I don't know how many times I've gone back to reference something I copied hours or even days ago.

I also love being able to kill processes from Alfred, open bookmark URLs, as well as easily search specific websites by typing yt + "search query" for YouTube, go for Google, eB for eBay. I honestly don't know how I work without it.

Edit: You can even launch a Terminal with a command by typing the command after ">" in Alfred. It's amazing how powerful it is.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 10, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Being able to snap windows to the corners is nice (Apple should just "steal" this feature from Windows already and just build it into the OS), but I love being able to use command + arrow keys with BTT to easily move my active window to the top/bottom/left/right area of my screen.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody else experienced the bug in macOS where it asks for notification permission for your apps after every update? It happens on my 13" MacBook Pro all the time and drives me up the wall.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

what is this stupid new thing and how do I kill it

Stacks are dope

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

why would I want to use a phone app on my computer

I have to imagine Overcast on iOS is better than 99% of podcasting apps on MacOS. I'd run that on my MacBook.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know nobody wants to pay for anything, but 1Password is seamless and well worth the annual price. I say that as somebody who works in webdev and needs a password manager extension across every browser and OS. The iOS safari is particularly nice - it replaces the entire keychain functionality with a better user experience overall.

I used to use LastPass, which is/was free or cheap, but the iOS app's integration isn't nearly as good as 1Passwords.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 7, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There are some aspects of iOS/macOS that make you wonder, "Is anybody over at Apple HQ actually using this software?" and Time Machine is definitely one of them. You'd think by now, a few devs or pms would accidentally lose some files in Time Machine, and the problems would easily get fixed.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 10, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Alfred 5 Preview is out, and I went ahead and upgraded to a lifetime upgrade license. Most of the changes are for power users, but it feels noticeably snappier that Alfred 4. I'm eager to see what power users can do with the new workflows, shortcuts support, and inevitable community workflow store.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know this browser might be super-niche, but I've been messing around with Mighty, a Chromium-based "cloud" browser. What's a cloud browser? Basically, you pay $35 a month and get access to a 2 Gbps fiber server with 8 vCPUs and 32GB of RAM. What does this mean, exactly? Well, if you work in app likes Figma, you're probably accustomed to your fans kicking on whenever you open a project. Mighty handles all of that rendering server-side, which means cloud-based collaboration tools are incredibly snappy and you fan won't even kick on. Mighty also has some pretty cool productivity features like integrated Google doc file searching, meeting notifications, and a nifty tab switcher/manager.

I'm not currently in a role professionally where I collaborate in Figma often, but I could totally see the $35 a month being justified if I was messing around in Figma all day - I was amazed at how fluid navigating around artboards was on Mighty compared to Safari/Firefox/Chrome. As we start to see more tools go all-in on browser-based experiences, I could totally see professionals considering Mighty - especially if you have an older laptop that can't handle modern cloud-based tools.

I'll definitely miss using Mighty when my trial is over.

edit: I also discovered an alternative to "Open In" called Choosy, which lets you select which browser you want to open a link with. The great thing about Choosy is it offers extensions on every browser to easily volley a link over to a different browser. Great for QA/webdev work!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 4, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Looks like a collaboration platform for design and marketing stuff: https://www.figma.com

Yep, it's a UI/UX program that has been gaining in popularity due to its flexibility as a collaborative artboard space and mobile-friendliness. You can mock up an interactive prototype in a couple hours with it and have it in clients hands with a simple link. We used it all the time when I went to grad school for UI/UX - I even use it to put together presentations and slide decks. Lots of people use it as a personal kanban, as well.

With apps like Adobe Creative Suite going all-in on cloud-based tools, it will be interesting to see more server-side solutions. I've got a 100 TB Unraid server sitting on my home network - I'd love to be able to load up my own server-assisted browser on an iPad or MacBook Air that takes advantage of that power sitting in my giant tower case at home. I'd heavily consider subscribing to Mighty if it was under $20 a month.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 4, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Still enjoying Firefox after switching away from Chrome a few weeks ago - they provide https always-on through Cloudflare without an extension, and keywords for my bookmarks for work and personal links saves me so much time. It's nice supporting somebody other than Google, as well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Jeherrin posted:

But why are you using Figma in the browser…?

It actually runs better on a browser with Mighty than it does natively on my MacBook Pro. It's probably just an Electron-based app with an app shell or something, right?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Violator posted:

Yeah.

I’m still using Sketch because I’m pretty solo, but I’m going to have to start branching into Figma more. Kind of amazes me that losing platform native capabilities and performance are worth it for the benefits of running completely in a browser. I kind of find that an indictment of the development tools I guess.

When I went to grad school in 2018 for UI/UX, it seemed like everybody used different tools - Adobe XD started taking off (Free from Adobe + Halo effect), InVision, Sketch, and Figma. I've dabbled with all of them, and they all function pretty similarly, but it really does look like Figma and browser-based tools are winning out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Violator posted:

IIRC The next version of macOS includes a version of Music.app that has big chunks rewritten in Swift instead of web views. I really hope that improves the app because it's a dumpster fire. Especially coming from a company whose turnaround was on the back of a music player and an entire industry they upended. It's like nobody there actually uses the app.

It's tough being a music fan - I was a Spotify die-hard for over a decade but got sick of their focus on Podcasts and Audiobooks and switched over to Apple Music due to Apple One pricing and free Lossless. Apple Music still has a long ways to go, but I've been furiously submitting feedback requests for every little quirk.

Spotify wouldn't have forced my hand if they'd make a minimal effort updating their app to take advantage of newer iOS APIs, but they'd rather sue Apple instead or whatever.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gros Tarla posted:

Bit out of the loop: is safari usable nowadays?

Any plans to go back to supporting extensions outside of the app store that I have not heard of?

Safari is decent, what extensions are you missing? There's AdGuard for ads, Choosy for opening a link in another browser, Clean Links for removing tracking IDs on URLs, and SponsorBlock for YouTube ads.

Why not try Firefox? It has...
More extensions
Favicons (cmon Safari, let me display them on my bookmarks bar)
Bookmark keywords (can't live without at this point)
Better cookie privacy
Video PiP
Multi-Account Tab Containers - Silo and group specific websites so their cookies and tracking are isolated

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 23, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah, I think BetterTouchTools will probably satisfy most of your needs. I highly depend on that and Alfred (Raycast is also good but feels a little slower)

This “Reimagined Command-Tab” app is pretty cool:

https://lowtechguys.com/rcmd/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

A couple years ago I started paying for 1Password (after using it for years when I bought it outright, I begrudgingly switched to the subscription model to get the latest updates), and it's been totally worth it.

But upon switching browsers, I've noticed that suddenly the "cmd-backslash" shortcut to autofill logins/passwords doesn't work anymore. It just invokes 1Password with a "Install our browser extension!" notice. And even when I install the browser extension, "cmd-backslash" doesn't work. Instead, it wants me to click the little 1Password icon in the toolbar or in the login window, and then type my master password.

This is much MUCH worse than the old method of "hit ctrl-backslash, authenticate with touchID on my macbook" Is there any way to get the old functionality back? I haven't updated to 1Password 8 yet, but I assume it doesn't fix things?

EDIT: I should clarify, the old functionality still works on Safari, but it does not work in Firefox or Opera. They both demand the new browser extension that (apparently?) doesn't support TouchID.

Am I missing something? MacOS-wide, I have my 1Password quick access mapped to Option + Space, which brings this up. It can be changed in the 1Password app > General > Keyboard Shortcuts.

You can also set a unique keyboard shortcut within the Firefox extension by right clicking on the extension's icon and going into the Settings:

Which gives me the following in Firefox:

If I haven't logged in yet and attempt to login with Firefox, I am prompted with my thumb (make sure you turn this on in 1Password app > Security > Touch ID):

You probably just need to comb through both the 1Password app settings and 1Password firefox/opera extension settings and make sure everything is setup right.

Bobstar posted:

Sorry I can't help with your question, but what features do you appreciate in the subscription version? I'm still using the bought-outright one synced over Dropbox as I have been for years. Curious if there are things I'm missing out on.

What version do you have? Here are the change notes for the last few versions:

https://blog.1password.com/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/
https://1password.com/products/

Here's their spiel on why you should subscribe instead of buying licenses:

https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

1Password 8 is electron-based, and they definitely have some bugs to work out, but I do love how customizable they've made the iOS version - I keep all sorts of personal information in my 1Password vault, including SSH keys, software licenses, membership cards, and the way you can easily organize, sort, and filter is really nice.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 10, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

1password is a case study in how a company can FUBAR its own widely beloved app through sheer arrogance and incompetence

I think this is being a bit dramatic. 1Password 8 has it's issues, but I love how customizable the interface is. It's still the best cross-platform password manager app, and I've tried most of the popular ones (BitWarden, KeePass, LastPass). They're also faster than anybody else at adopting new iOS APIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m pretty sure you can minimize multiple app’s windows in the dock instead of within the app’s icon, which will then show it as a preview.

https://www.techjunkie.com/mac-minimize-windows-dock/

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 5, 2022