Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I was on the fence about full screen apps but terminal in full screen on a 13" Macbook Pro owns so hard. Slide over to that huge terminal with a three finger and then switch between the tabs with the two finger. Get some things going and slide back over to my IDE to write some code. Slide over again to look at Mail.app and back again. Lion is the poo poo for laptops with small screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I can't seem to get messages to work properly and I think its something fundamentally wrong with imessage but i'm not sure what.

My wife and I can use iMessage on our iPhones just fine. Problem is that we both have each others names twice in the messages list and messages seem to randomly come from one contact or the other. In my case, one contact is from my email and the other my phone number. Our phones seem to just randomly switch which one they're sending with.

I've installed the messages beta here and the problem above is making things lovely. If she sends me a message my Mac will never get it. If I send her a message from the messages app and she replies to that then the mac will get the entire conversation.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

whaam posted:

Has anyone using Filevault2 on an i5/i7 noticed any OS slow-downs at all? Not talking pure I/O like copying files but just using the OS, surfing the web, switching screens?

We're using Filevault2 across about 7 macbook pros and airs right now and i've never had a complaint. The airs and SSD equipped MBPs in particular are so goddamn fast that its hard to notice any difference at all.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Decius posted:

Though at least you could set XP to classic mode in its boring-but-easy-on-the-eyes grey and blue scheme. And there were some relatively nice skins available (Watercolor XP which looks a lot like the inspiration for MS' Metro UI Desktop scheme)

Watercolour was based on the "whistler" theme which was the theme in betas of Windows XP and almost the shipping XP theme. At the last second Microsoft realized they might have a clean tasteful design on their hands and took a poo poo on the whole operating system with Luna.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

i really appreciate that the dropbox menubar icon has a black and white option

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Developers on 10.8.2 and iOS 6: is Messages more consistent between devices now?

everything seems to be working great now here

ios6 made the biggest difference with no more multiple contacts in my messages list from email vs phone number messages

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo, how long has Mail.app had data detectors for UPS tracking codes? :stare:

I thought the people i was buying things from were linking the tracking number but i just looked back and in most cases it was apple wow

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

my favourite terrible oracle software was report builder because it combined the frustration of using a broken quark express clone with the frustration of writing pl/sql

also it was so terrible that it would actively gently caress other programs running at the time

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

I hate the goddamned pile of colorful blocks. With a loving passion. I had a friend who was enamored with GP for the longest time until I finally forced him to take a look at the more traditional tree-view style apps like OmniDiskSweeper or WhatSize (awesome but not free) and it hit him how much simpler, faster, and straightforward they were.

That said, DiskInventoryX does it both ways so you can see which floats your boat (though for this purpose I'd prefer a browser view to DiskInventoryX's outline view for drilling down the tree so it wouldn't be my first choice).

DaisyDisk
http://www.daisydiskapp.com

This one is the best I've found for balance. An easy to read graph and then a list view on the right. Works awesome and I love it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

I'm going for a 240 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD combo with an optibay in my 2010 MacBook running 10.6.8. Is moving the home folder as detailed here the best solution for keeping applications and system files on the SSD and documents and media on the HDD?

Edit: does anyone know if you can put the home folder on an exfat volume with an MBR partition table? I want to use the HDD as a storage disk for both Mac OS and windows 7 so I think I will need to get macdrive or something if I can't do that.

Edit again: maybe symbolic links would be better and I think it would keep time machine from being hosed up possibly. http://mattgeri.com/blog/2012/01/symbolic-links-on-a-mac-os-x/

Edit again again: so I guess I would move the home folder to an external then put a symlink to the home folder where it originally was, and time machine will back it all up, and I will be okay? We will see.

I just did the home folder relocation on my desktop tonight with a 128gb SSD. Time Machine so far is reporting the same backup size but i suspect i'd have to restore to a big HDD first and then split it up again.

Speeds are great but i'm starting to think about all the files in ~/Library and wondering if I should symlink them back onto the SSD

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

echobucket posted:

This sounds like such a pain in the rear end compared to a fusion drive setup. What's keeping you on 10.6.8?

I'm on Mountain Lion but I'm sort of partial to this way for now because I get to choose what is getting full SSD speed and what isn't. I'm also sort of holding out on the Fusion drive idea for a while until its been around for a while.

Also with Carbon Copy I was able to set this up in about 30 minutes. I left my home folder and OS on the SSD and symlinked back to the HDD for Downloads, Documents, Music and Pictures. Works great.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

IUG posted:

So the only two options for Time Machine backup over network is Time Capsule or OS X server on the network, right? I have a Seagate (:argh:) external USB drive that has just unmounted itself twice on me in the last hour, and I don't think that ever bodes well.

No there are plenty of NAS devices that support time machine. I have everything in my house backing up to a nice FreeNAS server I built. Works great.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

wheez the roux posted:

I still get totally bugged out input fields in Safari, weird glitches when waking from sleep where the screen won't refresh except wherever you've moused over (hard to describe, I'll get a video if I can), a problem where if you have more than one window open for an app but one of them is full screened the rest disappear after waking from sleep, and all kinds of annoying minor bugs. There's still plenty to be fixed.

The display drivers are still pretty bad. It looks like nVidia is working directly with them now on the drivers and its been a bit of a rocky transition. However good news is that ML has added support for a shitload of ATI and nVidia chipsets and performance in 10.8.3 is greatly improved.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I think its the video drivers. The nVidia drivers had all sorts of issues with 10.8.2 and its been a while to sort it all out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

nVidia seems to be more directly involved with the drivers now too. They released their own set of drivers for 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 that were slightly ahead in version than the point release drivers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

I have an issue with the calendar on my phone and on my computer, so I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but hopefully this can be fixed here.

I've got Snow Leopard and I use iCal, and I use Calendar on my phone, but I use Google Calendar to sync between iCal and the iPhone. The phone is set to sync over-the-air, and iCal is pointed at my Google Calendar account. However, the problem is that I have two of every event in iCal, and on top of that, it ALWAYS sets alarms for everything, even though I keep setting it to not do so. Is there a way to fix this? I looked into the phone's sync options and I don't see anything for turning this off, but I'm not sure *why* it's creating two of every event, or how to stop it.

I think the alarms always thing is actually a Google Calendar defaults thing. You can change it within Google Calendar but I forget exactly where the setting is.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

TealShark posted:

Another developer release of 10.8.3 (12D76) has been released today with no listed changes. I'm starting to think this may be an Apple make-work program for interns.

I think they're holding it back for the release of some new hardware. What that is I have no idea but its not unlike Apple at all to have the 10.8.3 seeds we see and some parallel version that supports a new thing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Textual is nice and if you compile it yourself instead of buying the App Store version, free.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

~Coxy posted:

10.8.4 has updated NVidia drivers, heh.

They should really just start distributing them on their own like they do for the CUDA drivers, and that brief period where they had custom drivers with GTX580 support.

They did for 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 but haven't yet for the latest. It seems like nVidia is a lot more involved in the drivers since Mountain Lion.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Hope they update and fix some kinks in OpenGL support; it's only the loving backbone of the entire graphics rendering system in OS X.

Its gotten way better each point release for Mountain Lion. I expect that to continue.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The mouse speed is awesome, but now none of the side buttons on my mouse work. Can't I get the best of both worlds? :(

It can work alongside a few different mouse utilities. So far I've tried ControllerMate and Logitech Control Centre successfully.

Between the cursor speed from Smoothmouse and the scroll wheel smoothness Logitech Control Centre brings mousing suddenly owns so much on my desktop

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Just want to add that I've got three macs backing up to a FreeNAS server now with time machine and its absolutely flawless. If you're interested in time machine network backups FreeNAS is a great choice.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

I just backup to a network connected MacMini external drive with Time Machine. I haven't had any issues but is there some benefit to me going to FreeNAS route?

There are a lot but the biggest is expandability. A FreeNAS server can be anything you want it to be. With ZFS as the filesystem you can just shovel drives into it and purpose them as Time Machine backup shares, storage, etc and have some sweet redundancy with RAIDZ. Its also fast as hell over Gigabit ethernet or 802.11n.

We used to have this weird collection of external drives, desktops with shared drives, etc before. This mess of stuff was to get two laptops plus a Mac Pro backed up as well as to store media. Now its all gone and we just have one little server humming away in a closet with about 4TB of storage shared between backups and media. It just happily does its job all day long and the speed feels like an internal drive.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

They've actually published articles that essentially say 'all right you mooks, we're replacing too many frangible dunsell modules, here is how to properly diagnose / fix the problem without having to order / exchange dunsell modules.'

I had our local Apple reseller say almost the same thing when trying to exchange a magsafe adapter bought outside of a laptop purchase. Apple's system has no idea wtf to do if you buy a new magsafe adapter for a computer out of warranty. It just says NO DONT when they try to exchange anything.

The only thing that saved me was a nice texan man from Apple who agreed that i'd been hard done by and charmed me with his southern accent and then did something that let them give me a new magsafe adapter. Literally the friendliest man on the planet.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

horse mans posted:

This morning, I unlocked my Macbook, spent about 30 seconds on it checking my mail, and the screen went black and it locked itself again. I don't have any hot corners set or anything. What the hell?

Strange question, but is your Macbook on top of another Apple laptop or near any magnets when this happens?

Had this problem with my wife's MBP and it turned out to be because it was sitting on top of her old plastic Macbook and the magnet in the lid was making the MBP think she had closed the laptop.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Curious if anyone has a preference between chrome and safari? For general web use, is either still fine?

They're about the same for most uses yes. I still find Safari to be faster on the whole.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Probably wishful thinking but god I wish some of these new mail apps would work with Exchange.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's probably the biggest new feature that Apple is touting, so yes.

Performance is actually better over 10.8 too.

Mavericks is shaping up to be another 10.6 Snow Leopard and I'm super happy about that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

It works fine, it just does pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish; with it the computer doesn't react to the magnet at all so the displays won't shut off.
I'm aware of this, yeah, but sadly my previous battery died completely shortly before bloating enough to unbalance the computer on my desk. I've only found one place that sells authentic batteries for this MBP and they're around $150. I'm taking this thing in for a (long overdue) service which will be $100 as it is, so I'm not ready to dish out for a new battery just yet.

Which battery model number? BattPitt sells fairly cheap batteries for most of the Macbooks on Amazon.

If its the A1321 then they don't. Thats the one I'm looking for right now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What are the performance hits like on a modern Mac with FileVault 2? I imagine with the PCIe-based SSDs you won't really notice a difference now.

I don't notice a difference at all on a 2012 Macbook Pro

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

wildlele posted:

What are people using to copy a DVD to the Mac HDD, I'm looking for the VIDEO_TS folder. Tried MakeMKV but it just creates a bunch of .mkv files.

I use Handbrake for this and it works great.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Yeah the Retina Macbooks are due for some Intel Haswell chips.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I have the optibay in my 13" MBP with a 1tb Seagate Momentus hybrid drive. I've symlinked a lot of directories from my home folder (Downloads, Pictures, Music, etc) on the SSD to the 1tb drive to make a sort of a fusion drive setup. Its just great and I love it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I tried to use internet recovery on my 2010 MBP after installing a new hard drive and it booted a Mavericks installer that then refused to install. Apple why

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

Remember installing Uno on Leopard (?) just to make the window backgrounds the same grey? At least we don't have to do that anymore.

I loved uno so much during the brushed metal era.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

All our home computers back up to a freenas box using time machine and its pretty seamless. I've reinstalled from time machine twice using the network backups and it owns how easy and complete the restore is. Last time my wifes laptop ate a hard drive it restored everything perfectly to a state one hour before it happened.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Oh My Science posted:

I would like to put a Lightroom catalog on a server at work. All my google searches indicate this isn't possible, anyone get this to work?

Every time I look this one up I expect that Adobe or someone has come up with a reasonable solution, because it seems like something people with shitloads of photos would want to do, but I don't find anything that isn't a lovely hack

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Djimi posted:

Great to hear.

FreeNAS here, which uses Netatalk 2 I believe. We've had three macs backing up over wireless here for over a year without issue. Even restored one and it took forever but worked awesome.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Djimi posted:

What OS? 10.6 ... 10.9? Does it matter?

10.7 up to 10.9 without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I use a retina Macbook with an external attached everyday. Its completely fine except that over time you will begin to hate the external monitor for not being a retina display.