Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Not sure that this has an answer, but Vuze on 10.7 will not transfer any data. It manages to open connections but then "stalls".

I've tried switching to the 32 bit JRE, and installing a Java 7 beta. Any ideas for something else to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Right-click the "background" of the window and there will be an eject option.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MAS rules permit up to five installations per purchase, I believe.
Besides that fact, the Lion install specifically does not have any receipt/account checking and can be installed on any number of machines.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

doomisland posted:

I have a quick question about Lion. I know they removed the current samba program but did they replace it with something else in Lion? The only stuff on Google coming up are rumor sites from when the samba news first broke. Thanks

They replaced it with their own implementation which apparently works with Win7 machines but not much else, including WinXP and random NAS devices/ XBMC/Boxee/etc.

You can install samba3 through MacPorts, and I'm sure someone will package it soonish when it becomes apparent that we're back to the 10.1 days of nothing loving working interoperability-wise.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

Sorry to break up the Lion chat but I wanted to ask if any UK/Euro goon happens to have MacFormat cover discs from the 1997-1999 period.

I know it's a long shot but it doesn't hurt to ask...

What are you after in particular?
I probably don't have the actual CDs around but may yet have some of the contents...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Petey posted:

why no hard drives on the desktop even as an option?

Same as it always was dude.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

McFunkerson posted:

When I open an HTML or XML document in TextEdit (in Lion), make a change, and then save it changes the file extent ion to .txt. Is there a way to stop this from happening because it's bugging the poo poo out of me...

I'm not at my Mac now, but it's in the TextEdit prefs somewhere.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Assuming what wolffenstein said holds true, check to see if 3D Hardware Acceleration is enabled in the VM Settings.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

There's no way to have different scroll settings between mouse and trackpad, although there are separate options in Sys Prefs for them. Hopefully Apple will allow that behaviour in an update.

In the meantime, you can use USB Overdrive to get what you want on a laptop, but not with a Magic Trackpad.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

japtor posted:

Copying through a Windows VM would be faster than FUSE too wouldn't it?

Yep. When I need to copy something fast I boot up the VM, attach the USB drive or whatever to the VM, and then copy the files from a Shared Folder on the Mac side.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Startup Disk in System Preferences.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

unruly posted:

It's normal for most actions to skip, slow down or pause. It's doing a mount of the Time Machine backup device, and if you have a slow disk (or if it's over the network), the filesystem has to wait for it.

iTunes audio has never skipped for me before, even under very heavy CPU and IO load.
Only in 10.7 has this started.

wdarkk posted:

I've had some issues with sound (mostly involving youtube not working with a specific sound output, and a different sound output having a bunch of popping that wasn't there before). I hope there's going to be sound fixes in 10.7.1.

Yeah, there's definitely some bugs related to audio outputs. Symptom is that the app will just stop playing any sound. I see it in WoW, VLC and Mumble... changing the audio output in the application's settings and back again fixes it for me, or just quit and restart the app.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They're quick-and-dirty ports so they most likely don't have native 512x512 icons.

Civ IV is a native port done by Aspyr. That said, it's possible the steam service just doesn't bother with that kind of thing.

You could probably fix the icon by downloading one of the updates and copy/pasting the icon from the installer.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

So far, no Pop, but it's intermittent, so honestly I don't know yet. I'm satisfied with the results so far, except that later in the day I'll go to play an MKV or something on VLC and it'll play fine with no sound, despite my mac still at that moment being capable of making system beeps and other sounds.

Lion bug, I have the same issue. Apps seem to "lose" their sound output device after a while.
To avoid a reboot you can change the sound output inside VLC to something else then back again and it will play audio again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

You mean a bug with Lion when you have AntiPop or just a bug with Lion?

I've had Lion for a few weeks now with no issues, but this issue only reared it's head later in the night that I installed Antipop.

I have deleted Antipop for testing purposes. We'll see...

Just a bug with Lion that Antipop is perhaps exacerbating I guess?
But yeah I have a desktop so I don't use Antipop.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Teh z0rceror posted:

Got a problem. I have a mac pro and I have bootcamp running vista and win 7 on separate drives. Today I decided to remove the vista partition. After I removed vista it will not boot into Windows 7. It seems like the bootcamp partition is gone, or messed up. If I go to start up disk it shows the bootcamp drive but it will not load into that. Windows 7 seems to be there still but I can't seem to tell it that it can boot to it. I can't even open it in VM Fusion. Any ideas?

Pretty sure when you installed Win7 it would boot having chained itself from the Vista bootloader.
I would try booting off the Win7 disk and repairing your windows install. To be safe, I would remove the Mac hard disk first.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

What gives? I thought Lion was supposed to have good SSD support?

This was just a myth perpetuated through repetition when Lion was in beta.
TRIM support was unchanged since 10.6.7 or whatever point release it was added for Apple SSDs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't condone Apple artificially restricting their TRIM support, but it's a one-line PERL script. Not that big a deal.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Unfortunately I'm the one hosting the files. Thanks for the insight though.

Install samba3 from MacPorts... yeah. :negative:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rudix seems like the way to go iff they have the package you want.

http://code.google.com/p/rudix/wiki/Packages

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Parallels does seem to be technically better but I have to say that I much prefer that VMWare does *not* use Lion's full screen mode. Having a full-screen Windows desktop would suck if it took up both my monitors to do it.

As an aside, is it possible to put VMWare into its own space like I could in 10.6?

Also, Parallels can't boot off Win7 on its own disk for some reason. It only supports Boot Camp partitions.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jhunter46 posted:

Dual Booting Lion and Windows 7, what is the best way to write to my NTFS drives from Lion?

Tuxera NTFS has been treating me well lately. Nice and fast with a decent GUI.
My only complain would be I can't get the EFI partition to not mount.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Jolan posted:

I do not want Text Editor to re-open unsaved documents I had open when I quit the application. In SL, I would just hit cmd-Q and discard changes, so that next time I opened the app, I got a blank slate. In Lion, I only have the option of not saving previously saved documents, so all unsaved documents that I had open will have to be manually closed one by one to prevent them from returning upon opening the app again. And this sucks immensely. How can I fix this?

Try out http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110918051930924

quote:

Disable Saved Application States

OS X Lion offers a checkbox to disable saved application states. However, many applications do not seem to care about that checkbox (e.g. Terminal). The easiest way to prevent applications from writing away saved states is exactly that: don't let them write to the saved application states folder.

To do this, first open up Terminal. Issue the following command to remove any saved application states you might have:

rm -r '~/Library/Saved Application State/*'

Now, prevent anything from writing it's state away ever again:

chmod -R a-w '~/Library/Saved Application State'

You may use the chmod command on individual application's folders inside the Saved Application State folder to prevent a single application from writing its state away.

Likewise, to re-enable saving states, use the same command but make the change 'a+w' instead of 'a-w':

chmod -R a+w '~/Library/Saved Application State'

Disable 'Reopen windows when logging back in'

To permanently disable 'Reopen windows when logging back in,' you can use the following command:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow TALLogoutSavesState -bool false

This will effectively disable 'Reopen windows when logging back in,' though the checkbox will still be ticked. However, this switch resets itself every time on reboot. To prevent this from happening, again we remove write permissions on the file containing the option:

chmod a-w ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

This should do it. But there's where OS X gets nasty. When it can't write to this file, it will try to put the write permissions back itself. The solution is to change the owner to root, effectively preventing anyone (but root) from changing permissions on the file:

sudo chown root ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

To reverse this, simply issue the following commands:

sudo chown $USER ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
chmod a+w ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
defaults write com.apple.loginwindow TALLogoutSavesState -bool true

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

JamesOff posted:

I can't see a way to tag the fs itself as no-automount, but it looks like adding the UUID to fstab and giving it the noauto option will do it.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060930150059172 is an old hint although the comments are fresh, and agree with http://www.quora.com/How-can-I-disable-automount-on-a-specific-external-USB-disk-in-Mac-OS-X

I haven't tested it since I don't have my MBP at work today but it looks like it's the Right Thing.

For what it's worth I have not been able to use this feature to stop NTFS partitions from mounting in 10.7.

If you do get it working, please post what you did :)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Create a blank rtf file in Text Edit, save it somewhere safe, and modify your AppleScript to copy it to the current directory instead?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Look in your existing script to find out how it knows your current active folder.

Then you want something like:
code:
tell application "Finder"
  copy file "Macintosh HD:Users:user:blank.rtf" to folder XXXXX
end tell

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Martytoof posted:

LittleSnitch just caught this:

I gather ubd is an iCloud service. Any idea why it would be accessing windows.net?

iCloud runs on Azure.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm not sure about that tool to be honest; the one from media fire crashes on launch for me.
I found another on kexts.com which worked, but reported the same (and I think wrong) speed as in About this Mac.

It also reports every chip as LGA775 so there's definitely some info it's not getting form the CPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to use an iPhone as a USB Disk to install Lion on?

http://www.dmytro.me/search/label/usb

Don't know if booting off it would work, but I don't see why not.
It's slow though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I know you said you didn't like commercial products, but Tuxera has been good to me (better than Paragon which I've had problems with.)
It mounts my Windows disk every boot and no problems yet! Plays nice with VMWare etc. as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there any games for OS X that can even benefit from having a high-ish end GPU like a 5870?

All of them. For Mac gaming everything is so unoptimised that you really need as much raw power you can get.
Especially considering the higher than average screen resolutions on most Macs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jackpot posted:

I've got a shitload of photos I need to offload from my laptop (Mac) to my home computer (PC). The PC's got a 1tb USB backup drive attached to it, so...why not? Well, you probably guessed (correctly) that it didn't work. I could see the backup drive on my mac, could copy files from it, but I couldn't write to it.

What's the difference between this drive and any thumb drive I use between my computers? Or the difference between this drive and my phone, whose memory card I can easily access between a Mac and PC, too?

Edit: Back to my original problem: is there an easy way to move around 100gb of photos from a Mac to a PC?

Your hard disk is probably NTFS, which OS X cannot write to out of the box.
Your thumb drive is probably FAT32.

I would suggest reformatting the hard disk to exFAT.
Alternately, if you cannot bear to reformat that disk then try the free trial of Tuxera NTFS which is a third party NTFS driver for OS X.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Just wanted to point out that image retention on LCDs is still a thing, so yes there's definitely a use for screensavers even now. Otherwise you end up with your menubar burned into the top of the screen like me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

For various levels of PITA, Crossover Games ought to work and has a free trial.
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2492;forum=1;msg=90595

Apart from that you'd need a VM running a period OS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

japtor posted:

VMware updated with the usual stuff (performance, fixes, etc), but also this:
http://www.macworld.com/article/163755/2011/11/vmware_fusion_update_lets_users_virtualize_leopard_snow_leopard.html

All very well and good, but when are they going to add hardware acceleration for OS X guests?

As for AirDrop, you can turn it on for all machines on the network with a prefs write that I'm sure someone will post.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

duck monster posted:

Shouldn't lion be able to fairly natively talk Win7?

Yes, but hosed if I've ever got it to work. I end up using SCP.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

Dare I uninstall the Boot Camp Radeon video drivers and get the newest ones from the AMD site?

Will that even work?

Depending on what model of Mac you have you might not be able to install the Catalysts, but there's no harm in trying because you can just reinstall the Apple ones.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Might have to manually update your filter subscriptions also.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

surrender posted:

I'm officially in SSD land. Holy gently caress :aaa:

Are there any optimizations or tweaks that I should know about? It's an Intel 320 drive, and I'm running Lion on an early-2011 MBP.

Partition on 2MB boundaries, and enable TRIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

VMWare Fusion 4.1.0 will run a System 10.6 Client VM. Any earlier/later version won't though (Server only) but I should think it would be easy to find the correct version mirrored to use with your key if you bought it.

Potentially a better option is running the Windows version on Crossover Games.

Either option has a free trial and I'd appreciate hearing how they work if you try it because this question comes up a lot.