Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Mex posted:

Opera still is faster, but the difference in speed is much smaller now, and Opera doesn't have the full screen mode (which is awesome on a laptop) and OSX gestures don't work on it, specially the "forward/back" page.

Opera has full screen mode as of Tuesday, and the 3-finger swipe gesture works for back/forward as long as you have it set to 3 fingers (as God intended it) and not 2 fingers (like some dirty heathen) in your System Preferences.

quote:

Opera uses its own gestures system which was great a few years ago on a mouse, but on a touch interface it's useless because you have to right click to activate it : (

They work fine for me. Here's how you do them: put down two fingers, click and hold with your thumb, release one of the fingers, draw the gesture, release the mouse button.

I actually really wish that I could stomach the switch to another browser, but I can't give up my fast-forward or single key shortcuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

brc64 posted:

Is there anything as good as the Windows picture viewer for viewing a bunch of photos in a single folder? Preview sucks because I can't easily change the view settings and it doesn't (that I can tell) let me navigate between photos. I know there's some gallery app thing, but it looks like it wants me to put the photos in a library, and I don't want that, either.

Try Sequential.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

wolffenstein posted:

Have you used any video or audio recording software recently? Soundflower redirects sounds just like Virtual Audio Cable does for Windows.

Splashtop Remote Desktop also installs it for the purpose of redirecting audio to their iPad client.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Martytoof posted:

I was just about to complain that there's no distribution system that hands out precompiled binaries, but that's exactly what fink offers. I might try fink then, I guess.

My experience with fink is that all of their packages are, in grand Debian tradition, way the gently caress out of date. If that doesn't bother you then it's probably the cleanest solution.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

BrokenDynasty posted:

Is Perian working on Lion? My googling came up with several threads about it not working so well. Is there an alternative?

If you just need to play videos, MPlayerX is excellent and available from the App Store for free. If you made use of some of the other implications of Perian being a QuickTime component, then I'm not aware of any alternatives.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

wdarkk posted:

Except scrollbar arrows.

Which is fine, because anyone who clicks scrollbar arrows to scroll is literally subhuman.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
So far the only thing I've noticed about 10.7.2 is that it broke the gently caress out of my mission control gestures, and iCloud broke my AppleID.

Edit: The AppleID is fixed, but boy howdy was that counterintuitive. They wanted to merge my AppleID with my e-mail, but when I tried to do so on my iPad, it said that email was already in use (no poo poo, Sherlock, it's in use by me), and I couldn't log in via either with the iCloud system preferences pane. Had to log in on their website to finally get it fixed.

Edit2: Here's a fun one: If you have 3 finger swipe configured to go back and forward, and use natural scrolling, then mission control swaps desktops in different directions depending if you're using 3 or 4 fingers.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 12, 2011

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Xenomorph posted:

I'm trying to use the Tragic Macpads. My primary concern is that I'll like it so much that I'll want to use it on every computer I touch.

You won't want it on every computer, but you'll never be able to use a PC laptop again.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

It does, however, nag you every so often when you save.

It's also missing some important features like printing, but it definitely has the potential to be a really great text editor.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Martytoof posted:

Essential utilities? I'd say Dropbox, ServeToMe (for streaming video to my iPad), Reeder for RSS reading, LogMeIn for remote accessibility. I'm sure there are more.

Is there anything that makes Reeder worth the $5 over NetNewsWire? Assume for the purpose of this question that NNW's ads don't bother me.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm looking for an app that will make a list of files on a removable disk (or more generally, any folder) and let me browse/search that list after I've removed the disk. I remember such a thing existing in the Classic days (I think it might have been a Symantec product?).

I could just use "ls -r", but I'd prefer something with a GUI.

Edit: Apparently the useful search term is "catalog". Archive looks like it would serve my purposes, but if there's anything cheaper/free that would be better.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 23, 2012

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The free version has no limitations other than the occasional nag. The syntax highlighting does have some bugs though, especially on long files, so that might have been what you noticed.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Ziploc posted:

What does one do if they want smart borders on a Mac?

Like dragging to side to fill 50% of the screen.

In order of increasing price and functionality, BetterTouchTool, BetterSnapTool, and Moom all do what you want.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

chutwig posted:

Homebrew because it's simple and runs without needing escalated privileges.

Seconding homebrew. It's also lighter weight because it attempts to use the built-in system versions of libraries when possible rather than compiling an entire parallel ecosystem.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Seconding/thirding Transmit, Pixelmator, and Reeder. Each one is absolutely fantastic at what it does.

Additionally, Fantastical is a really neat/useful quick way to view/add events to your calendars.

I disagree with Sparrow. I find Mail.app to be more fully featured and generally more pleasing, but YMMV.

You can dual boot OS X and Ubuntu, but Apple doesn't provide Linux drivers, so you're on your own there. Ubuntu supports some models of Mac better than others, so check their wiki first. Depending on how heavy your Linux needs are, you might be better off running Ubuntu in VMWare Fusion/Parallels Desktop/VirtualBox.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Beyond that, I've had Chrome cause a sudden complete shutdown on my Mid-2010 MBP.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
One thing I've noticed is that Apple's VNC, when used on both client and server, is about a bazillion times faster than anything I've used on Windows. It seems to be a lot better about only updating the parts of the screen that changed, and degrades the image quality if bandwidth is lacking. Is there some specific setting or connection type that would allow other clients to behave like that when connecting to a Mac server?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Binary Badger posted:

One of ML's new Mail features is that you can define any arbitrary folder as your Drafts / Sent / Junk / Trash folder.

Lion's Mail does that too.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Doesn't Super Duper also cost money?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just make sure the old MBP is running an OS version that came out after the new one was released, otherwise you might be missing drivers.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Manky posted:

e: Anyway you should use Boot Camp because - I know Parallels does this, I assume VMWare does as well - you can load your Boot Camp install as a Virtual Machine within OS X, giving you the best possible solution to doing whatever the heck you want.

I don't think either Parallels or VMWare supports suspending/resuming a VM backed by BootCamp. That's a pretty big deal.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Oh gently caress, Mountain Lion supports animated gifs in QuickLook natively.

Well, there's my "never ever going back" feature for this release.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm not sure but I think Lion did it too.

I remember there being some pretty big defect in Lion's support, which is why I was using the AnimatedGifQLGen plugin, but I don't remember exactly what it was.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

ConfusedUs posted:

1) The screen changes color as I open and close apps. This is a known problem according to a google search, but none of the fixes stick. I can stop it from shifting for a few days, or even a couple of weeks, but eventually it starts doing it again.

Is opening/closing apps triggering a switch of graphics cards? If so, you can force it to stick with one or the other using gfxCardStatus.

Edit: By "base model" did you mean 13"? Because if so, nevermind.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm getting a new MBP tomorrow, and I want to figure out the best way to run the occasional game/other Windows program on it. Boot Camp has the performance advantage, Parallels has convenience. A Parallels VM backed by a Boot Camp partition seems like it's theoretically the best of both worlds because of the disk space savings, but I remember hearing that there were some issues with APFS and Boot Camp/Parallels.

Have those been resolved? If so, is using one partition for both a reasonable thing to do, or am I going to end up hating myself?

Obviously I'd be giving up snapshots, which I'm fine with. But are there any weird issues caused by Parallels Tools when booted outside a VM? Or Windows licensing/activation issues caused by the VM and real hardware seeming like different machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Last Chance posted:

No snapshots like you said. Parallels Tools stays out of the way when you're fully booted into Windows. You may have some Windows activation woes. My version of Windows 10 runs unlicensed when booted via Parallels in a macOS High Sierra host. It used to be activated, but at some point it considered itself a new machine. When fully booted, Windows 10 stays activated. :shrug:

I set it up and had the same experience as you. Tried the troubleshooting steps on the Parallels site to get both activated, but it didn't work.

Ended up deciding to nuke the partition and just run a regular VM. If I want to play any Windows games that don't run well enough in Parallels or have Mac ports, I still have my desktop PC for that. This way I also don't have to worry about how much disk space to allocate. Parallels will just feed itself in 2GB increments.