Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Huh, I installed Lion to an external drive for testing, and it clobbered a bunch of stuff on my Snow Leopard install (e.g. nuked my keychain & backups, changed my account picture to the one I set in Lion). Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

japtor posted:

Did you boot from the InstallESD or did you use the Lion installer? Was there any system on the external drive?
I tried booting from a DVD, but Disk Utility kept hanging when I launched it to format the drive, so I booted back into SL, mounted the .dmg directly, and installed to the external from there. There was no prior OS install on the drive.

My iDisk-based backups are hosed, but I haven't gotten around to trying Time Machine. The files appear to still exist, but attempts to restore through Backup results in an empty folder, and mounting the .dmgs and copying the files directly shows the file copy dialog, but the files never actually show up in the destination folder. There was some relevant Console spam, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

ndrake posted:

That's my fallback plan, but as I understand it, it just streams to other devices on the network. Maybe I don't really need a full itunes library on the go.
No, it syncs your library between up to five machines (each needs to be logged into the same iTunes account).

e: Apparently only iTunes Store music automatically syncs, but you can still drag-and-drop other stuff.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

So, I went and upgraded my primary drive to Lion. Unfortunately, I've lost my account picture. I had previously used the Tiger-era generic account image (silhouette on blue/white background), but as mentioned earlier, installing Lion on my external clobbered the setting on my Snow Leopard install, and now I can't find the image again. Does anyone know where it's located (it's not in /Library/User Pictures/, IIRC I originally had to dig it up from some system folder)?

e:

1st AD posted:

I have a weird Spotlight issue - I have a SSD serving as my primary production OS, and another 1tb hard drive where I install new programs and plugins without worrying about breaking my main production system. Lion is installed on both. Spotlight wants to index everything, so of course I just set privacy to that secondary drive.

But when I boot into the other OS, the settings persist and now I can't run spotlight on this drive/partition. Is there a way to make Spotlight settings stick for only specific accounts or installations?

I don't think so, AFAIK Spotlight settings are saved in a hidden file in each folder.

vlack posted:

Sometimes Safari is downloading PDFs, and sometimes it's opening them with the built-in PDF reader. I don't have Acrobat Reader installed and I can't tell what's causing it to do one vs the other. The only differentiating factor I've noticed is when I'm browsing to a PDF file in normal browsing (i.e. when I most want it to display in the browser) it will download it, and when I'm googling for "filetype:pdf" to test the behavior (i.e. when I'm trying to reproduce the problem) it displays it in the browser just fine.

Has anyone else had trouble with Safari and PDFs in Lion?

Might be a server-side / HTML thing, I know there's some way to force a click on a file to download it rather than open in place.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 26, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm seeing VMWare SVGA 3D under display adapters. Does this mean its running in discrete mode?
VMWare emulates a display device for client OSes. Presumably, VMWare itself uses whatever graphics card is active at the moment.

e: Also, any good Front Row replacements? My Apple Remote is kind of useless at the moment. I tried XBMC, don't really care for it.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 27, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

And I thought my Lion experience was awkward: Man charged 122 times for Lion upgrade.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 27, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

lord funk posted:

Ugghghhh. I have a feeling I'm going to hate resuming apps.
There's a checkbox to turn it off.

Personally, I like fullscreen apps a lot more than I expected to, I just need to figure out how to map ^+↑/ ^+↓to Mission Control.

Disappearing scrollbars are dumb, though. They're a sensible compromise on a tiny screen, but you lose useful information with them.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I've had coreservicesd, Finder, Dock, and systemUIServer.agent all segfault since I installed, some repeatedly..
On an unrelated note, they updated the kernel panic screen. :suicide:

The traffic light thing doesn't really bother me, that's what keyboard shortcuts are for.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

Can't find a segfault.

Both times it's happened have been with flash, but with something else going on in the background. This time I was updating two apps from the app store. I'll try to isolate it better next time.
Try disabling Flash hardware acceleration, maybe? Alternately, switch to the 10.4 beta.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

What's the consensus pick on virtualization these days? VMWare or Parallels?

Primary use is going to be Windows games that aren't terribly graphics intensive, and the occasional simple Windows app I'm too lazy to reboot for.

Both are able to just run an existing Boot Camp partition these days, right?

I think the consensus is Parallels for speed, VMware for reliability. Both will run a Boot Camp partition, though disk access is slower than a regular VM.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Sharrow posted:

Can Fusion suspend a Boot Camp partition yet?

Nope, not sure if that's doable in a safe way.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 28, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

maduin posted:

iTunes implementation and Photo Stream are the only things I can see this bringing that might pull me away from Google. I really wish I wasn't so heavily invested in my @gmail.com address, because it makes it so tough to try any new service.
Not sure why you're conflicted, just use your Gmail address as your iTunes ID?

e: When I try logging i with my iTunes account, it says Lion isn't detected; my MobileMe credentials work, but I'm still reliant on my iDisk and I don't know how migration will affect that.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 2, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Dr Rotcod posted:

I'm looking for some sort of software that will compare two similar folders with complicated file structures to see what the difference is in the files contained in them.

My situation is that I have a LOT(27 TB) of data on external drives that needs to be compared against the most current project folders on other drives to see if I can delete the data off the external drives. I have so much data that I absolutely must have this process automated else I'll be going through folders for the next year.

I've already tried Chronosync(can't do it) and other duplicate file finding programs but I'm more interested in comparing an entire folder instead of each separate file.

You'll likely need to write a shell script. Can you elaborate on your exact desired workflow?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Uhhh hopefully I'm not asking something profoundly simple, but is there any way to rearrange the order of your fullscreen'd apps? Like I have iTunes and Mail fullscreened, but I use Mail much more often so I'd like that to be the first screen after my Desktop instead of iTunes.

I opened MC and tried to drag the Mail "space" before iTunes but no dice.

e: oh I have to quit Mail and reopen it huh. Lame. They'd better give us a way to specify what goes where at some point :(

There's an option in MC to have them sorted by last usage; try turning it off if it's on to see if that lets you move 'em around.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

How do I change the colour of the birthday calendar in iCal? I'm pretty sure my original colour carried over from Snow Leopard initially, now it's a dull slate grey for some reason.

e: Also, how do I prevent OS X from restoring my windows when rebooting without unchecking a little box every time? I tried removing all read/write/execute permission from ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State to no effect.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 7, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lexicon posted:

What's the goon consensus on the new FileVault? I'd like to have it turned on as I'm one of those people who is overly concerned with security, but I'm not too keen if it's going to get in the way, cause problems, or interfere in any way with Time Machine. Thoughts?

The encryption is totally transparent to Time Machine.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Did anyone upgrade to Lion while also having a boot camped Windows? If I try to hold down the option key while booting up I'll get a kernel panic. Also if I pick Windows 7 from the Startup Disk in Preferences it will hang in the grey screen once in a while. I can successfully boot into Windows sometimes but these freezes and panics are annoying. I'm thinking of wiping everything to do a fresh Lion install and do boot camp partition afterwards again.

I haven't had any issues, but have you tried updating to Boot Camp 4.0?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

bonzaisushi posted:

Any steam users have the hl2_osx app crashing shortly after launch? With my active card set at 9600 it crashes, when its set to the 9400m it launches without problems.

It does for me for L4D2, but not for L4D1 or TF2 (Geforce 320m). Performance doesn't seem to have improved with Lion, either. If anything it's slower, the latter two games were unplayable at my previous settings.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Comrade T-bone posted:

If I'm on 10.6 and use time Machine to backup all my stuff and then put that on a computer with 10.7......that won't be a problem, right?

Nope.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

This is special:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This bug is hilarious.

Fun fact: gbooker is the creepiest sperglord I've ever encountered in the wild.

e: There's an amazing post on Cocoaforge that I can't dig up where he flips out on a user for daring to show that he thinks he knows better than the devs by changing a compiler flag in Xcode.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 12, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Steiler Drep posted:

My MBP screen turns on after about 3 minutes of dimming the screen completely off. No specific behavior nor InsomniaX or anything, it just happens. Any idea? I'm on 10.6.8

Is it set to automatically adjust brightness based on ambient light?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

You Am I posted:

Tried out 10.7.1 - Samba is still broken for me.

Try and connect to Windows shares around my workplace is impossible, even putting in the address like this
code:
smb://username@server
It still tells me I am putting in the wrong username, and doesn't even want to prompt me for a password. And printing to printers shared off Windows Servers/Workstations is still broken, even though 10.5 and 10.6 users can print fine to them.

drat it Apple :mad:

Is your workplace using SMB2? If not, that's a WONTFIX, working as intended.

Has anyone else had an issue with the Lion suddenly failing to register most, but not all, keyboard input? Sometimes my MBP will only respond to the function keys until I log out.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I'm also having iTunes issues, in that any time I try to download a track that I have from another album, it downloads it as the version I already have, then moves the duplicate to the trash. I've already consulted iTunes support, they weren't much help apart from resetting the download for me upon request. I ended up manually editing the metadata and re-importing to fix it.

I am eagerly anticipating the full roll-out of iCloud.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

nerdpony posted:

I just checked another one, and I had it on other apps. Just not the one I wanted to get inside. Weird.
Try Terminal.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Is there a way to disable the page slide animation in Preview? It's worse than e-ink.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

movax posted:

Hello friends, I am trying to do this modification here to bring back my lovely folders before files sorting I had in Snow Leopard. (I upgraded to Lion last night).

My InfoPList seems to be either some weird encoding, or half binary, or something, can't really edit it. Another goon sent me his Lion-original file, and it's the same way. Just not possible on Lion now, or is there something else I can do?

I think .plists actually can be binary. Are you using Property List Editor or some other text editor?

Also, I could've sworn there was a GUI option for sorting folders first in Lion (pros use Miller columns anyway).

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 21, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

vkeios posted:

Its already been fixed. You just got to wait for the next beta or stable release.

Or compile it yourself. I'll throw up a trunk build if no one else does by the time I get home.

e: http://nightly.adium.im/

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 21, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Crush posted:

Not sure if this ventures out more into Windows territory, but since we are talking Boot Camp here…

Is there a way to encrypt the entire Windows partition on a Mac?

BitLocker, PGP, or TrueCrypt, off the top of my head.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

DeepThought posted:

Try "option + up/down"

<clip>
You can use alt/option + up/down or alt/option + left/right to navigate pages without the sliding effect.

Thanks. I figured that one out on my own, but I'd still like a way to disable it completely, as a key combo is more awkward for prolonged reading.

e: I know of Skim, as well, but I find it clunky (worth it for TeX support, though).

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 21, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

bonzaisushi posted:

Anyone know why clicking my finder icon in the dock brings up this lovely version/view of finder?

I want the finder in my dock to launch the finder that looks like this...

I am using total finder, but was not having this issue with it a few days ago.

Go to View Options, there should be an option to set the default view for all windows.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Edit: Nevermind, turns out it was MplayerX making GBS threads itself for a change. Had to kill it in the processes but at least I got an empty trash bin now.

This is a Lion feature. Closing the program no longer necessarily kills the process, because iOS.

Also whoever was complaining about gestures, just use BetterTouchTool.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

code:
MBP-C2D:~ user$ ls -al /Volumes/
total 16
drwxrwxrwt@  7 root    admin       238 27 Aug 01:10 .
drwxr-xr-x@ 41 root    admin      1462 16 Aug 14:02 ..
drwxr-xr-x   1 user    macports  12288 26 Aug 02:12 BOOTCAMP
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root    admin         1 26 Aug 02:56 Macintosh HD -> /
drwxrwxrwx   0 root    wheel         0 27 Aug 10:33 MobileBackups
drwx------  13 user    macports    748 25 Aug 23:22 user
lrwxr-xr-x   1 user    admin        15 26 Aug 23:09 iDisk -> /Volumes/user

quote:

drwxr-xr-x 1 user macports 12288 26 Aug 02:12 BOOTCAMP
drwx------ 13 user macports 748 25 Aug 23:22 user

What the...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Terpfen posted:

There ARE Trojans, which the AV apps in question do nothing against because they scan for Windows viruses;
Actually, ClamAV has definitions for all the Mac trojans; presumably, the commercial products do too.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

tikan posted:

Why Steve :(

It's Tim now. :smith:

e: Also, I logged into iCloud on my phone with my main Apple ID, chose to transfer the synced contacts from my MobileMe account to it, then removed my MobileMe contacts from the phone. Now I can't get my contacts to sync back from either source. Hope it's just server problems, because I'm not going to be anywhere near my notebook anytime soon. :/

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 13, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Alright, here's a question.

I have an AppleID which contains all my App Store / iTunes purchase history as well as my general Apple account information. I've got a MobileMe account which I've had for a couple years and used for syncing/findmy and just migrated to iCloud.

Why are these two separate things? Why can't I combine them or at least associate an existing AppleID with my iCloud account?

I thought the same way, but really, what would be the benefit of associating them? In some cases the separation would be more of a convenience (e.g. a shared iTunes account).

Also, if anyone else is having trouble syncing photos after updating iPhoto through the App Store, trying logging out.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 14, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I just noticed that you can now view diagnostic info in Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage. Neat.

Also, am I missing something with regards to iCloud document syncing? I created a test file in Numbers on my iPhone, then tried looking in the iWork section on iCloud.com, but it only gives me the "get Numbers for iOS!" splash screen.

e: Second time is the charm, apparently. It's working now.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 14, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I love MacRumors forum posters. They have the best overall orthography and grammar of any non-SA forum I've ever visited, yet apparently none of them can actually read. :suicide:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 18, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

rckstar79 posted:

Use https://www.rdio.com instead. (It's better, anyways.)

These assholes make the contents of your account profile indexable by search engines by default. Including your real name, in addition to your screen name. I've never been more pissed off at a company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

rckstar79 posted:

(you don't have to use your real name)

Pretty sure they need it for billing. Also, the principle of the thing.