Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Martytoof posted:

I'm just curious whether anyone with an ATI card running 10.7.1 is noticing Youtube Flash playing extremely choppy HD video when in fullscreen mode?

Specifically if you right click and select Video Info, I'm curious whether you see a lot of dropped frames.

Running an old HD2600 in an iMac and in fullscreen HD flash (I believe bbc desktop iplayer is flash at least) I get several bouts of slowdown or complete video freeze every hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for checking, I just wanted to eliminate some stock Apple configs to make sure that it wasn't a known issue with Flash and Lion or something before I went to troubleshoot my custom setup.

I think it's a known issue

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/07/21/adobe-explains-why-flash-runs-so-poorly-on-os-x-lion/

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
(Launchpad) Or you could stick all the apps you don't want to see in the last screen, in folders if needed, and never see them

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Time Machine Question folks. I just bought a new 2TB drive, and GUID partitioned it into two HFS Journaled 1TB partitions. I want one partition to be the backup of the computer it is connected to - easy enough. The other partition is to be the backup of my girlfriends laptop, done wirelessly (I know this is possible without problems).

What I want to know is, can I plug the disk directly into her computer, have it do it's first backup over USB, and then plug it back into my main computer and have it continue doing the rest over wifi or will it think it is a differnt backup?

(Funny story, when your original backup disk is not big enough and you keep adding things to the exclusion list to get it to fit, in the end you have some system files backed up and a false sense of security)

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Thanks. Will Time Machine be smart enough to know that computer A has backups for one month but computer B only gets backed up weekly and when it comes to deleting backups it should delete the oldest of the two, not the oldest of computer B when computer B needs the space?

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Sab669 posted:

What would be the easiest way to put IE on a Mac, for an IT bitch who knows nothing about Macs? A webapp we use only works in IE and an employee is working from home today with his Mac and can't do anything.

Parallels or VMware fusion with a windows virtual machine. But you'll need a license for the virtual machine. And it's not something he can really do - more something you'd have to do for future dates.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I use Logmein for my parents computers at home (I'm in Canada, they're in the UK) and it is fine and plenty speedy IF you turn it into low detail greyscale mode. Let's you do what you want without crawling to show you their background in full colour glory. And it's free

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Manky posted:

Handbrake works, but the developers are, by all accounts, massive tools. Permute was really the first good tool to come along. I still miss VisualHub, but a little less with every Permute update.

Just curious as to what they did to be defined as massive tools

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I have an extra hard drive on my 2011 MBP rather than the optical disk (using an optibay) and when I tried to install windows 7 from USB, using all the tools around (like reFit etc) I came to the conclusion that apple intentionally disables the ability to do this. I spent maybe 3 days trying to do this, before giving in, reinstalling my SuperDrive, installing and then after swapping the optibay back in.

Time spent trying the USB method = 3 days
Time spent swapping hardware around and installing via DVD = 90 minutes

All I can suggest is that if you are still covered by AppleCare go get a new SuperDrive from them

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I've now got ML runnning on 3 computers and I have a couple of questions.

Is there really no way to get Notes syncing with my iphone without using a @me.com icloud address? Everything else syncs fine but not notes.

Messages for iOS - apart from changing my iphone's caller ID to be my email address (which causes problems when someone is in an area where they can only get 2g signal and can't get the imessages) is there now way to get messages on my iPhone to sync? Basically, I want to set my caller ID on my computer to my phone number.

RSS support is gone from Safari - what good (preferably App Store) RSS readers support Authenticated RSS (ie I need to log into a website first)

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nope. Just take the free email address to enable syncing and never check it. It's completely transparent at that point. What's the big deal?

Well, as I understand it I can only have one iCloud account active on my iPhone, so if I have iCloud set to @gmail.com , and then I add an @me.com just for Notes, am I going to have to switch everything to @me.com?

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

mistermojo posted:

Wait, did they change this when they made the Notes app standalone? I can sync Notes from iPhone to Mail.app using gmail, can I no longer do that?

Nevermind, I've now got Notes syncing with my phone through Gmail. I was just hoping it was giong to work seemlessly with iCloud. I have gmail on my phone through exchange, not IMAP, so I had to add an IMAP gmail account on my phone, disable mail (so I don't get everything twice), enable notes. It's not instant syncing like on iCloud, but it works within about 5 minutes.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Ziploc posted:

Aw. The display icon in the menu bar doesn't let me quickly choose resolutions anymore. Instead is just a shortcut to the preference pane.

We're 'adding' features to the OS (removing options)

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Sent from my iPad posted:

Nope. Welcome to the joy that is Apple web services.

Speaking of, it's kind of incredible to me that anyone would ever entrust Apple's mail or iCloud file services for their business.

I wouldn't. I would always encourage people to use Google's services - my free Gmail has been fine since the day I got it, where as the apple services have gone down several times and transitioned through several iterations, each incompatible with the previous.

One good thing from ML - Skype now no longer require the discreet graphics even when it is not on a call - it now uses integrated and kicks it up to discreet only when in a call. This means one less thing for GFX status to deal with and I no longer need to explain to my friends why their brand new MBP only gets 3 hours battery rather than 7

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Time Machine does what you want it to do, but the opposite. Basically you need to tell it what NOT to back up. As of 10.8 it now also lets you back up to multiple hard drives, which is also what you want. And it only backs up what has changed each time, and keeps a copy of previous versions of a file until it runs out of space

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Dashboard is still useful if you need it. I have family in the UK, in Uruguay, in Taiwan and I'm in Canada. Dashboard lets me have four clocks and four weather widgets so I know when to call etc. I also have an English to Madarin translate widget, currency exchange into 5 different currencies, a British English dictionary (because I refuse to start spelling things the North American way) a Ski Report for the local mountain, iStat and as of five minutes ago the hidden files widget.

However, if you don't have a useful need for it it is pointless. But I guess that's true of anything.

I also have an iphone, but somehow this is more convenient than apps.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Try changing the channel on the router. If it is set to automatic choose an arbitrary manual channel.

My dad's laptop just stopped connecting one day without us doing anything and it turned out the night before the neighbours got a new router and it was interfering with just that one computer

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

bulbous nub posted:

Someone I know called into AppleCare and asked about the DVD version of iWork getting the update. Support told them that it's coming and will be available as a software update through MAS at some point. I'm in your boat and am not holding my breath, but I guess we'll wait and see.

My wife and I both have the DVD version on our Macs. She is being offered an update and I'm not, so maybe it's just not rolled out to everyone yet

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Just installed the new Garageband. I had to manually find it on the App Store and download it. I still have my old gb listed on purchases as Garageband 6.0.5 and it wasn't uninstalled in the process. What's the best way to remove it and not be left with gigs of redundant loops etc, without harming the new Garageband?

Sockser posted:

Aw man I just found out my iMac (mid-2010) doesn't support airplay so I can't use the sweet new AppleTV feature. Dang, man.

Setting up Airparrot now, we'll see how that goes.

e:
Oh cool there's a new About this mac

Both these things are 10.8 not 10.9 features

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

echobucket posted:

So, it looks like we are getting updates to iWork if you have the DVD version installed.. In fact, it looks like it CONVERTs it to the MAS version.

At this point they probably thought 'every new mac gets this for free and it's not worth our time to police the few old copies and make updates specifically for them'

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I had deleted the iWork 09 apps in my haste to move forward, but just restored them from the Time Machine drive.

I had some forms I'd made in Pages for students to fill out...3 copies of the form per page, and it put them all inline rather than one on top of each other and I couldn't fix it. Luckily I had to the documents backed up in Time Machine as well so that I could get them to the pre-opened with Pages 5.0 state.

I also miss the ability to password protect a PDF made in keynote to prevent printing and editing, but not opening, now the only option is a password for opening. I use this to give handouts to my colleagues without having them edit them and claim them as their own teaching materials.

I guess I'll be using the old 09 apps until the new ones catch up - but just like FCPX, I know they will eventually.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I recently changed from Firefox to Safari - lots of pages weren't displaying properly and the Firefox address bar search behaviour change wound me up too much. I've found an alternative for RSS feeds that need authentication (newsbar, but please suggest better alternatives if they exist) but the biggest problem I'm having is having to log in to sites much more frequently. In Firefox I would log in every couple of weeks but safari I'm having to do it daily. Is there a setting I can change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

japtor posted:

Sounds like a bug where it can't write the cookies properly or something. I'd guess try repair permissions, otherwise I just found this possible solution:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23870796#23870796

Thanks, I've tried all these and we'll see if that works. I didn't think about a problem, I had just assumed it was some silly setting.