Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Ziir posted:

Mission Control—I used Expose and Spaces a lot in SL, but I just don't like Mission Control. Worse yet, they've completely neutered Expose. When I try to use Expose now, it only shows me the windows of the currently focused app which is completely stupid. Right now I have Safari open, and two Terminal windows behind it. In SL, I would just Expose, and then click on the Terminal window I want. Now, in Lion, when I use Expose, it only shows me the current Safari window I have that's already taking up most of my screen. Ah, but I can just use Mission Control you say. OK, I bring up MC and I don't see the Terminal window I'm looking for. I know it's there, but where is it? Oh, I minimized it, and MC doesn't show minimized windows.

I just want my old Expose functionality back.

This has been my greatest fear, and I didn't want to find out that it might be true. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

riht posted:

What I loved the most about SL was Expose and Spaces. Dear God, Lion has been a shock in that regard (and not in a good way). There's nothing about Mission Control that I like over the old implementation.

I hope you weren't trying to figure out what was on the window marked with the red arrow. Also, the new 4 finger downward swipe is just absolutely useless to me. I used Spaces so that I could use one dedicated Space for most of each application's windows. When you've got a fair amount of windows open, the auto-grouping with Mission Control stacks some related windows too much, and you can't see what's on the pages that are in the back of the stack. This was also not a problem with the old 4 fingers down.

I thought I was going to hate mission control, but I actually kind of like it. I never used spaces, but all-windows expose was always really, really useful to me. The big thing, though, is that I don't normally have multiple Safari windows open (or if I do have multiple windows open within a program such as ImageJ, I do single-app Expose on it to choose between them). The old way was pretty scalable to lots of windows, the new way isn't, but I find it slightly nicer in its organization.

I spent the better part of the week wondering if I would hate almost every new UI change in Lion, but within 5 minutes I liked most of them. Even reversed scrolling.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Of all the UI elements that have snap-back bouncy scrolling, the iTunes library does not. Weird.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Auriak posted:

Hey guys, guess what! Thanks to text substitution and the new emoji support I now have this. :smug:

The future is now.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

bassguitarhero posted:

I'm starting to get some "You should clean your mac from junk. mackeeperapp.zeobit.com" popups while I'm browsing the forums, is this happening for anyone else? It's definitely in safari, not sure if it's limited to the forums but it is coming up when I load new threads. The window is trying very hard to look like a system window, so it's not like a regular kind of popup.

Yes, I have been getting this today while loading a few threads, and I have no clue where this is coming from. There's no mackeeper files on my system, which according to google is one way to get these popups.

e: Lion Safari
e2: \/\/ Thanks!

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 23, 2011

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Install Lynx, problem solved.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
New iTunes security questions:

Just shut down post-Jobs Apple. Just shut it down.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Yeah, it's not that I'm against security questions in general, but those are some of the worst I have seen. If I answer them truthfully and specifically (beyond, say, 'city name' for places) they become answers I'm not going to reliably reproduce. My bank asks for the last name of my second grade teacher--a decent question as these things go--as it likely has only one format of answer (barring misspellings). I also spent several minutes reflecting on my life while trying to figure out my absolute favorite/least favorite teacher. If I can't come up with a simple answer in-the-moment, how am I going to do so a year from now?

Since I have to keep the results in 1password anyway, I just made up random strings.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

echobucket posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you put these into 1Password? AFAIK it doesn't have automatic support for these.

I just added it to my pile of secure notes. It's not ideal, but it's still easily findable in a pinch.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Speaking of current Keynote, I learned an important lesson today. Even though you might automatically think

self posted:

"Gosh I should really update Keynote '09 so that this horrible bug doesn't keep plaguing me at critical times; there's no way that that '09 could be the current version--to the app store I go. :wtf: why is Keynote '09 opening again after purchase??"

you should never assume. :10bux::10bux: down the drain.

Keynote '09: "The best there will ever be (because we're not loving updating it)"

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I use Sente, mainly because Papers (which I had stuck with since its early alphas) didn't seem to have any active development toward making cloud sync with annotations work correctly. This went on for a couple years. I wanted to read things on my iPad but it looked like it was never going to become a reality.

For my dissertation I'm using a combination of my established Sente libraries and Bibtex, though, because gently caress if I'm writing anything big in Word.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Duckman2008 posted:

Any easy way to export bookmarks from Chrome to Safari?

Chrome: Bookmarks > Bookmark manager > Organize > Export bookmarks to HTML file
Safari: File > Import Bookmarks

Regarding 1password, I'm a big fan of being able to have custom fields so that I can store things like randomly generated strings to answer asinine security questions like "Which is your favorite child?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Shaocaholica posted:

As much as I like keynote this is hilariously stupid:

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/07/invalid-keynote-document-calm-down-and-try-this-fix/

I can't imagine having this happen the day of a presentation.

Dude, post a trigger warning with that.

Last year, Keynote decided to pull this poo poo with me a couple of days before my Ph.D. qualifying exam presentation.