Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

duck monster posted:

Hmm. Looks like the RC for VLC 2 has completely broken subtitles on my machine.

Reverting to VLC1 :(

I can't drag a folder into VLC 2 and have it play all the videos inside anymore either. How will I watch Seinfeld on random now? :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So, apparently somehow my Time Machine backups all got corrupt. My computer froze the other day and when I restarted I had the infinite loading icon at the Mac boot screen, so I went into recovery and spent 10 hours restoring from a previous backup. That didn't work, so I tried it again. And again, it didn't work. Repeat about 4 times over the course of a few days. Finally I realized I could boot into my Windows partition just fine and when I checked my external most of the files and folders that are on there are 0kb blank files now. The other files I have saved on there (videos, mostly) are in tact, just everything in the Backups.backupdb folder are like this. Am I totally hosed? Do I just have to reinstall OSX and start fresh? How could something like this have happened?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

chimz posted:

Well, I used to be able to just go into my Time Machine backups from Windows and access files and folders that were in there just fine, but now they all look like this:

I checked all the backups that I had too, and they all seem to be this way. Now, the weird thing is I just checked the contents of my Mac partition from here and it all appears to be in tact, which had to have all been recovered from a backup because I formatted and restored that partition many times. This is the best picture of the debug text I could get. It's linked for hugeness

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

japtor posted:

That said I have no clue on what the problem could be...well your debug shot shows fsck popping up some message about orphaned/unlinked files and directories so I guess something with the drive or FS is messed up, may have been repaired if the latter. Did you check the disks before you tried recovering?

Yeah, I did check the disk every time before formatting/recovering, but it always said there were no issues found. Clearly there is an issue, dammit. :mad:

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just take it into the store to see what they tell me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

chimz posted:

If Shift doesn't get you into safe boot, you'll need to boot into recovery and remove the Little Snitch kext at /System/Library/ Extensions/LittleSnitch.kext

I DO actually have a really old version of Little Snitch installed. I couldn't get into safe boot, and in recovery the terminal only shows the contents of my hard drive as the Library folder and a few folders inside, but back in Windows I can go onto my Mac HD and find that folder. So it's definitely there, I just have no idea how to delete it.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 19, 2012

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Voodoo Cafe posted:

:words:

Thanks for the help, this didn't end up working though. I think it's time to just reformat again and do a fresh install.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the best option for a Twitter client these days? I was using an old version of TweetDeck, apparently, and now it's awful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Twitteriffic looks great, thanks for the suggestions!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I downloaded the older version of Tweetdeck that doesnt suck, it's amazing how much better version 0.38.2 is than 1.3. :sigh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zenostein posted:

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with it?

It now has far fewer features than it did in this past version I'm using, TweetDeck was bought by Twitter and rebuilt the way it is now. It's much simpler in it's current iteration than it used to be, it seems like they streamlined it to make it more Mac/casual user friendly for the App Store release. I also hate change. So there's that.

Edit: I really hate the way Preview does that too. It hasn't gotten me in trouble yet, but I feel like it's possible :ohdear:

Edit 2: That is, if you're talking about how it opens up what you happened to be looking at last time you closed Preview before X-ing out of the window first..

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 26, 2012

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Xithyl posted:

I didn't get a OS disc with it, bought it used. I swear I used an online guide to make a bootable Lion disc, but that was ages ago and I have no idea where it is now.

Under Disk Utility, so pre-booting any partition, it shows Lion and allows me to 'Erase' it. Windows 7, however, gives me an error relating to mounting (I've tried mounting and unmounting) and says it's unable to erase and the data stays on. That's where I'm posting from now.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but this same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I ended up having to make a bootable USB with Lion on it from Disk Utility within the recovery screen and use that to reformat/reinstall. For whatever reason my Time Machine backups didn't help me get past that spinny loading icon. It worked out in the end though because I was long overdue for a reformat anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wait, what is wrong with VLC? It plays everything I need it to, and the new interface is actually kind of nice.