Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I thought safari was dogshit, but it was the new adblockers making it slow

So what’s the best thing to do about ad blocking? I’m currently using ublock because I’m used to using it with chrome/firefox, but it comes with a “this will slow down your browser” warning, though it seems to run fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

i think 'will slow down your web browsing' is a bit of a misnomer, it should really be 'may slow down your web browsing'. like afaik ublock and all the non-content blocker api blockers do the blocking through javascript, which is going to add some CPU and RAM overhead. makes sense why they don't support this on ios. in practice though i'm using a tower mac pro with 6 cores and 16gb RAM; safari's resource usage has never really been a problem and likely isn't a problem until you get into like 12" macbook territory.

the content blocker api blockers are nominally supposed to come with a speed improvement just by virtue of how they do the blocking, but i've never noticed that in practice and the ones i've tried (wipr et al) seem slower than just using ublock origin. i think this is because there's a limit on how much stuff they actually block, whereas ublock will gladly chomp through as many lists as you can throw at it. and being as i have a tower computer connected to the wall my system resources aren't exactly at a premium; my network connection is the limiting factor. so the more crap that's blocked the better, and the faster my browsing. obviously if i enabled every single list i might run into a bottleneck but i don't think i'm at that stage

there's also the privacy implication as ublock can read all the data you send and receive from sites. in practice, ublock is open source and recommended as a basic security measure for political campaign staffers so i'm not super worried

e: anyone with a 2012 mac pro and rx 580 notice a weird regression in sleep behaviour with mojave? like the computer will go to sleep and wake up just fine, but the monitor sometimes won't actually display an image for like 30s to a minute. it'll pretty much always eventually work but it's disconcerting as gently caress

Yeah, I figured the slowdown warning was about Apple deprecating the old plugin API or whatever, not ublock actually being slow. It actually runs pretty fast on a 12" macbook so I'll probably just stay with it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Nah, people won’t be happy unless the app is free and there are free updates forever, and also a weekly blog post with status updates of new features and a timeline for said features with release dates that you will 100% always meet no matter what.

Conversely, software developers won't be happy until you're paying them an ever-increasing monthly fee for updates that come with the frequency and quality of latter ASOIAF novels :capitalism:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Last Chance posted:

html emails and word docs are formatted documents and what you're seeing represents how others without the satan-blessed dark mode will see them

Yup, no amount of dankness will save you from office boomers and their purple papyrus

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

tankadillo posted:

For as much as people are congratulating MS Office for adding some new Mac features, it still doesn't auto-save*, and you have to "Save As" instead of "Duplicate." Also it still uses the freaken' floppy save icon lmao.

Them fixing that would be way better than adding dark mode.

*Except for if you save in a OneDrive folder, for some insane reason.

You could also view this as a tacit admission that OS X is less likely than windows to crash or automatically reboot itself for updates at an inopportune moment :laugh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IUG posted:

Ah, I did a search for uBlock (lot of scammy looking sites got returned by DuckDuckGo), and it pointed me to a Git that hasn't been updated in forever. The App Store version was updated 6 months ago at least. I'll install that one, thanks.

EDIT: Ugh, that version doesn't seem to allow selecting elements to block. This may not work for me.

Give lowtax his five dollars to block forums ads

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, real bummer that Apple is trying to greatly expand their platform and increase the number of apps available to all users. Really gonna miss the days having to buy the same app twice on two platforms. Shame.

Yeah, but lol if you don't think developers will still be able to charge one price for iphones, a higher price for ipads and an even higher price for OS X.

I don't think it's anything to worry about in and of itself but the mac platform is dead to me if they ever eliminate the ability to install apps from outside the store altogether

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Tell me how to make it so when you click a backgrounded window in Windows, it doesn't pass that click through to whatever widget in that application happened to be under your pointer but you couldn't see because it was in the background, and it'll change my life.

I'm forever hunting for a piece of dead real estate to click on to bring a background application forward, and if I miss by one pixel I find I've hit a link or clicked an action button or something that has made that Windows app go off and do all kinds of overenthusiastic stuff that no application should execute if it was clicked on while the app itself was in a background window, because there's no way the user did it on purpose with full knowledge.

And then if that is by some miracle possible, conversely I want to know how to make Windows recognize gestures and navigation inputs on windows that are not necessarily focused, like why the bloody hell can't I two-finger swipe to scroll a file list unless I click in it first? Two-finger swipe scrolling should definitely work even on a background window.

I want to be able to see what's in the background without having to bring that app forward, and I want to be able to bring an app forward without tiptoeing around live-click land mines.

These are behaviors that are default on Mac but seemingly impossible on Windows, and I'm on a locked-down Win7 so if this is fixed in Win10 or something then ignore me, I'm just pointlessly grousing like an OS beardo from the 90s

Use alt+tab, win+tab, click the title bar or the program's icon in the taskbar to switch apps without clicking anything in the app itself

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I found their first paragraph harder than normal to read

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

That hurts to look at.

What's the go-to password manager for Mac?

The built-in iCloud/keychain password management. I also use keepassx for cross-platform compatibility, but it honestly looks stupid on OS X, with a bunch of full screen dialogs and wonky ui stuff going on

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Weedle posted:

I still use uBlock Origin. Seems to work fine.

Yeah, it works for now but they are allegedly going to deprecate it at some point. Did Catalina kill it off?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, I can see the rationale for not wanting to give anything the ability to reach in over the network and alter your keychain without direct user interaction

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

scorched earth would've been not enabling youtube's "pay us money to run audio in the background" scheme on iOS

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Looks like Microsoft killed off cheap copies of Office in their Home Use program, replacing it with a discount on the subscription service. :rolleyes:

There are also cheap keys on eBay, which are apparently legal to resell in the EU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you forgot to cross out sleep tracking :argh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

RIP safari ublock :smith:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just an FYI - clicking the page number dropdown in one of those threads with like 5000 pages freezes safari on my machine. Starting to wish I'd held off on updating it

e: same goes for this thread lol

e2: nah, it's any thread :psyduck:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol would not have if I were smart and didn't just assume my macbook would get sidecar

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you're looking at the mac app store, you'll have to buy the app separately on that platform

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I find catalina (or maybe just safari 13) to be a little slower than mojave but not enough that I've given serious thought to trying to downgrade, and it may all be in my head anyway. I haven't actually encountered any of the myriad bugs everyone else has had (probably because I don't use the mail app).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

240GB is fine. They're still selling (or were a week ago?) systems with a 128GB SSD

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It works for me on Catalina. You do have to go in and gently caress with the security settings and click through several incredibly scary "the dev didn't pay us" warnings

e: I can't vouch for 100% of functionality but it does the "scroll wheel go one way, trackpad go the other way" thing very well and I haven't had to touch it since I installed it and set it up

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 8, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

apples charging cables are usb 2.0 which is a really cheapass move

Yeah, this sucks but it’s something you have to watch out for in general. You’d really expect Apple to be better about it than a random-vowels-and-consonants Chinese vendor on Amazon, though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Make sure you keep your laptop in the menstruation hut for a week so that it can be ritualistically and spiritually purified after you uninstall itunes

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

No, I’m gently mocking you for being afraid to install the vendor’s tool for flashing firmware on the phone. iTunes installs and uninstalls fine

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Ha try servicing one. How do you think that cat hair is going to get out of the chassis?

It needs to be serviceable from the back without removing the display and without any horrible risks to damage components. The most iconic Macs are the ones that are serviceable because they last the longest.

I was briefly considering getting a used or refurb iMac and replacing the slow, terrible 5400rpm drive with a big cheap SSD, then i looked up a video on how to get the hard drive out :stare:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Wifi 6 would be a good point to jump back in because the other vendors currently have very few options and they're all like $300+ each

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A wifi router is nothing more than a ball of terrible software that has transubstantiated into a plastic lump

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

At least they all know why she’s marrying that stupid rear end in a top hat now

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

In iOS you can set up a shortcut to auto-pause when you connect to a particular device. Are they porting shortcuts over to Mac in Big Sur?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm locked in the last version of PDF Expert because last I looked either the entire next version or a feature set I use went subscription based.

LMAO they forgot the entire point of the exercise is to suck less than acrobat reader

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

That definitely sounds like a loose monitor cable inside the laptop. I'm not sure how hard that is to reconnect or replace in a mac. You should probably ask again in the mac hardware thread

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

What the gently caress, why is this?

It looks like they're going to cover more demanding usage cases (multiple displays, more ram, more thunderbolt ports, 10g ethernet, etc.) later on, if ever.

Is anyone going to install big slur on day 1? The public beta I tried a few months ago ran terribly

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It sounds like the dev has to explicitly allow the app to run on mac os, so older games might not get it even if all they'd have to do is go in and check a checkbox in xcode

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

well, I installed big sur (because I am a masochist) and it really doesn't seem any slower than catalina was, and I'm on a 2015 macbook 12, which is probably the wimpiest computer that got the update. No bugs so far.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Apple finally gets around to updating Apple Remote Desktop, but now it requires Big Sur. Yeesh. :eng99:

lol why is this still eighty dollars in tyool 2020?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:same: and even if the dots go away you can use command+tab to find open apps that are windowless

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

If anyone's interested.. an article that tells you how to install homebrew on your ARM Mac..

https://andrewbarber.medium.com/how-to-install-homebrew-on-your-arm-based-mac-3660eb5f0b38

Thanks. I did a migration and the few brew programs I had on the previous laptop (mostly htop and mosh) work fine but when I try to run brew upgrade or install anything it yells at me

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Didja at least install Command Line Tools v.12.2 from the Apple Developer site?

yeah, turns out I just have to prefix the brew upgrade/install commands with "arch -x86_64" to get them to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

are there any good iOS apps I should use on a MacBook Pro now either for fun or use

Overcast if you listen to podcasts