Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am ridiculously excited for Lion. My first OSX upgrade experience.

I think I am going to copy my home directory an external USB drive and re-install Snow Leopard from scratch, just so I can experience things the way Steve intended me to.

It's like Christmas everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well Lion is about 75% downloaded and I just realized I'm on a corporate Snow Leopard machine at work. I wonder what it's going to be like going back and forth between scrolling models everyday.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did dragging change in Lion? What I am trying to do is double-tap an icon, but except for releasing on the second tap, dragging instead. That's how I dragged things in Snow Leopard, but it doesn't seem to work now. I found "three fingers to drag" in System Preferences, but, what? Is that the new way of doing things?

I feel like I'm learning to walk again. :(

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

chimz posted:

Drag lock (which you had enabled) doesn't seem to be available in the new Trackpad preferences. It wasn't enabled by default in Snow Leopard. If you enable three-finger-drag, it changes the swipe between spaces gesture to four fingers, so watch out.

theperminator posted:

If you go to System Preferences > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad options you should have the option to enable dragging with or without drag lock, I'm using this at the moment and it allows me to double-tap to drag just like Snow Leopard did.

Thanks. For people who did not do this, how do you drag? Do you really click and hold the trackpad down?!

Also is swiping to go back broken in Finder now?

(This is why I am glad I re-installed from scratch. I don't mind re-learning how to do things in one fell swoop. I would suffer a huge loss of productivity now and be future compatible then to have a number of little annoyances in the future as some esoteric option I discovered disappears.)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lion is starting to grow on me. I used to have two spaces: One for activity, and another for monitoring (email, calendar, IM, iTunes). What I'm finding now is that I like to run Mail and iCal in fullscreen mode and treat them as their own spaces. I also reverted Dashboard to an overlay instead of its own space.

Question about software: Any recommendations for money management and accounting? I used to use MS Money; now I use Gnucash. But being a Gnu application, it is dreadful on OSX. I also use Mint.com and an Excel spreadsheet for forecasting. Gnucash is my actual transaction register of record, though.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

chimz posted:

Click and hold with my thumb and drag with my finger. If you have your thumb in the bottom portion of the trackpad it doesn't count as a finger for right clicking. You have to physically click the trackpad, tapping doesn't work for this.

Thanks. I think I can get used to this pretty easily.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heh, I just tried to click the menubar to return to the top of this thread. The scrollbars and menubar are having a subconscious effect on me. Steve's wizardry strikes again!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This isn't a Lion problem per se, but my iTunes library seems to be partially messed up. I have a few albums that are munged and show as different albums. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Selecting "Get Info" doesn't seem to help. I guess I am wondering if there is a way to force iTunes to re-analyze a few tracks, but without removing them from the database and starting over.

E: Sorry about the image size.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 24, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainCaveman posted:

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Trackpad Options... has the options for Drag Lock now.

Yeah this is the one thing I just can't get used to. Dragging without drag lock seems hopelessly impossible for me. I could get used to three finger drag, but that interferes with "normal" gestures. I can't get any kind of accuracy out of the "click with one finger and drag with another" approach.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Either Lion or the latest iTunes update really improved AirPlay.

Before, AirPlay would really choke with my setup. I keep my music on a wireless network drive, so my computer was, I think, pulling the music down from my network drive just to bounce it back over wireless to my Apple TV. What would often happen was that songs would stutter, the first few seconds of tracks wouldn't come through, and there was a noticeable delay while everything buffered. Now though, it works flawlessly. Nicely done, Apple.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xandu posted:

Assuming the songs came from different sources, there's probably something in the Info tab that differs between them.

Space Racist posted:

What usually works for me is just to highlight all of an album's tracks, select 'get info', then manually re-type all the ID3 info. After saving it'll usually force iTunes to regroup them. Not very efficient if it's a widespread problem, but if it's just Adele you're regrouping then it's not so bad. :shobon:

amf5 posted:

This happened to me too, turns out iTunes retardedly groups poo poo based on the non-visible "album artist" tag.

IUG posted:

I'm a bit late on this, but when this happens you select the whole album and get info. Make sure the Artist and Album field are showing the name. If they are, then they're the same. But sometimes you have to add a space after either one of those to in order to fix it. "Muse" to "Muse ", etc. And then back again. It's fixed it every time for me.

Also, click on Album, then again, then one more time to sort by Artist by year of album release.

Thanks all, that's a pretty straightforward fix. I did not know you could edit multiple files simultaneously.

A few related questions -- and tell me if I should take it to the iTunes thread -- I have been using MusicBrainz Picard to tag my music (most of which is legit from Amazon these days; never thought I would say that). Is there a more Mac-like tagger?

Second, using an external tagger, I notice that iTunes doesn't seem to update the metadata for changed tracks. In particular, I am thinking of the genre tag. I always strip that out after I listen to the album and re-tag it. Now that I know I can mass-edit files in iTunes it shouldn't be too hard to clean up, but if there was a way to have iTunes do it automatically that would save me literally minutes every month!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

amf5 posted:

By default iTunes copies every single file in your library to its own folder system in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. If you're manually tagging a bunch of poo poo, the most likely explanation for your changes not propagating back into iTunes is that you're probably editing the wrong file.

Oh I know enough to turn that off. Just to be sure though, I double-checked, and there is nothing there. I'll take it to the iTunes thread though. I don't want to derail this one any further.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

CDOR Gemini posted:

The best solution might just be to install TextWrangler: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

TextWrangler is also free on the App Store.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chrome (13.0.asdf.323.a9sdflk.4r45345) is much, much less stable for me on Lion than it was on Snow Leopard. I tend to keep a few windows open with dozens of tabs saved for later. With earlier versions of Chrome on Snow Leopard, this was no problem. Now though, Chrome crashes almost daily. I see the "Aww Snap" tab crash screen constantly. Chrome used to be rock solid for me, but not anymore.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anal Volcano posted:

You know, this has been the case for me too. I've been chalking it up to the cocktail of extensions I have running, but I'm sad to hear it's happening to other people too :( Hopefully they'll get that poo poo fixed up.

The only extension I have installed is Facebook Disconnect. :(

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my zeal to try out iCloud, I either ticked the "Bookmarks" box on my Mac, or it was checked by default. In any case, it now added two useless folders that I cannot remove from my iPhone: "Bookmarks Bar" and "Bookmarks Menu." I have tried all manners of syncing, re-syncing, and .plist editing, but at this point I concede defeat. I can either backup my Mobile Safari bookmarks to my iCloud account and live with two extra folders on my phone, or I can disable bookmarks backup and get those two rows back. I am irrationally frustrated by this.

ETA: The problem is that there does not seem to be a way to "reset" bookmarks stored in iCloud. I can only "merge" from my iPhone, and I can't find a combination of .plist edits on my Mac that removes the bookmarks in a way that iCloud respects. Le sigh.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 17, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Useless? Why? If you want bookmark syncing then why are they useless?

For reference, this is what it's syncing from your Mac.

You're right. The problem is, I don't want to sync my bookmarks with my Mac. I simply want to back up my phone's bookmarks to iCloud. Unfortunately, I accidentally checked the box to backup my Mac's bookmarks to iCloud too, and now I'm stuck with those folders on my phone. Mobile Safari won't let me delete those folders, and I can't use my Mac to trick iCloud into forgetting about them either. My mistake, I guess, but it's still annoying.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Ahh, didn't get what you were saying.

Why don't you want to sync your Mac bookmarks with your iPhone? That's kind of the purpose of iCloud. It's not so much as "backing up" as it is keeping things synced across multiple Apple devices.

It's mostly because I use the web differently on my Mac and on my phone. I could probably get used to it if those folders weren't at the top of the screen. But as it is now, it's too much clutter: Reading List, History, Bookmarks Menu, Bookmarks Bar, and then what I actually want, my bookmarks. It sounds trivial, but I want those two rows back.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
You learn something new everyday.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

zalmoxes posted:

Does anyone know if there's a version of MusicBrainz Picard that works with Lion? My app crashes at launch all the time.

Works fine for me on Lion. I just retagged my entire library (~80 Gb), over a network share no less. Picard, to its credit, did not crash once in the couple of days it was chugging along.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This might not be the right thread, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I use a password-protected, file-based wiki as a sort of personal journal. Lately, I realized there is quite a bit of material there that I wouldn't want people to see, and the best way to keep it safe is to not put it on the Internet at all. Especially not a shared Dreamhost server.

A few weeks ago, I set up Apache locally and cloned my wiki configuration on my Mac. I moved all my sensitive information off of Dreamhost and onto my local machine. I think I configured Apache to only listen on port 443, and I only opened port 443 on my router. I also set up .htaccess to disallow bots and require a simple password. Finally, I bought a real certificate for my Mac so I get that shiny little lock icon in my browser whenever I try to connect externally.

So now, I no longer have sensitive information out there on a shared server. What is sensitive, is on my local machine. It is (only?) accessible over SSL, after basic Apache authentication and then the wiki authentication. I think that's a an improvement, but if I'm wrong and I missed something, then I potentially made the problem worse by exposing my whole Mac to the Internet.

Given that explanation, does this sound reasonably secure? Am I missing anything?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

anagramarye posted:

If you're still using a file-based wiki, you'll need to set up Apache to disallow direct access to anything but the front-end PHP (or whatever) files.

Also, there's no reason to buy an SSL certificate rather than use a self-signed one if you're literally the only one who will be connecting to it :v:

What can I say, I like seeing that green HTTPS in Chrome, heh.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeroordie posted:

Personally, I'm a huge fan of iA Writer. It just seems so much more elegant than the other options. The other stuff just feel like imitations. It's very well thought out, updates often, and the font it uses is perfect. It's currently 75% cheaper than what I paid for it at $4.99. Even at $20 it's completely worth it though, at least for me.

I used to like OmmWriter, but it pales in comparison to iA Writer.

Whoa, didn't iA Writer used to be $20? That the price has been slashed to $4.99 kind of puts their article on pricing in perspective:

http://www.informationarchitects.jp/en/ia-writer-on-prices-and-features/

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
A random comment: Remember that time Lion reversed the default scrolling direction and some people thought that was a big deal? Good times.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

mdemone posted:

Natural scrolling took me about a week for acclimatization, after that I can't use other people's computers. That's really the only downside, when I try to "drive" the projector's Windows machine for our weekly meeting, I always spend two seconds scrolling madly in the wrong direction.

Lion on a Macbook Air at home. Snow Leopard on an iMac with a Magic Mouse at work. I'm now bi-directional. :c00l:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Spotlight not learn over time? I probably CMD+SPACE for "terminal" every day, but since I installed Office six months ago, the first result is ALWAYS "HyperTerminal Applet." It happens with a tracking spreadsheet I use too. I could have sworn previous Macs learned from my behavior, but that does not seem to be the case with my current Mac. Is this normal?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apologies if this has been asked before, but does Mail constantly gently caress up the iCloud email password for anyone else? I leave Mail running fullscreen, and it seems like without fail it'll get throw up a dialog saying my iCloud password is incorrect. That seems to break Mail completely. All my other accounts stop doing anything until I feed Mail the password again. And since this usually happens while I'm at work, Mail will be several hours behind by the time I can fix it, to the point where it's easier to restart. It's so annoying that I'm considering turning off iCloud mail altogether on my Mac. My other iDevices have no problem... Just curious if anyone else experienced anything like this.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm using Mountain Lion and have been experiencing an annoying issue with the "All My Files" smart search feature within the Finder. Namely, that the list of my recently modified files gets polluted with versions of working Omnigraffle documents. Google has been no help at all. I can't tell if this is an Omnigraffle issue, or something related to Auto Save. In any case, has anyone seen anything like this before? Is there anyway to hide these "ghost" versions of the file?

E: Image didn't attach.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this. I want to set up L2TP via Server.app, but I am not sure I know what I am doing. Everything I see online is either highly technical, or simply a step-by-step without discussing the implications. Essentially, I want to set up a VPN for use on public hotspots, in airports, etc. I want my MacBook Air/iDevices to send *all* traffic over the VPN so I don't have to worry about tracking/profiling or poo poo like Firesheep. Does the L2TP VPN option let me do that, or I need to set up something more advanced?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Why is using a mouse in OSX such an awful experience? I think it has to do with the mouse acceleration, because I move the mouse slightly and the cursor barely moves, and then I move it a little more and it flies across the screen. I've played with all the settings and it still feels off. I just want it to work like the mouse does in windows :mad:

This kept me off of OSX for years. Back when I was bi-OS, the first thing I would do when sitting down at a Mac was to adjust the movement from the Mouse preferences.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't understand Photostream. I have an iPhone, and I have iPhoto on my Mac. When I take a photo, it goes into my camera roll, Photostream (on my phone and in iPhoto), and apparently, into an auto-generated Photostream event (e.g. Jun 2013 Photostream). The problem is, when I delete a photo from Photostream, it doesn't remove it from either my camera roll (which I have gotten used to) or the auto-generated iPhoto Photostream event. If that's the case, then what is the point? Now, to delete something, I have to delete it from my camera roll, delete it from Photostream, and delete it from the iPhoto event. I can put up with wonkiness on the phone, but having to physically delete photos from multiple devices is a huge pain in the rear end. Am I missing something?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

PRADA SLUT posted:

Photostream is meant to be a way to push pictures between all your devices, not save local copies. It's kind of like a shared backup for all your devices. Your devices still download local copies for themselves.

Thanks, but If it's not meant to save local copies, then it shouldn't... save local copies.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any way to stop all traffic until a VPN connection is established? For example, say I get out my MBP at the airport and connect to the local WiFi. I want to connect to my home VPN before my email client or iCloud connections start syncing data. Is it possible to keep OSX from going hog wild until the VPN connects?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh My Science posted:

That will never happen because the Surface 3 is just around the corner and god forbid they make millions selling on a competing platform.

Aren't the apple office apps free now? Sure, some people may pay the sub for ms office but it's hard to beat free.

Steve Ballmer disagrees with you, not that it matters anymore...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two questions:

1. Did Apple change their accounting so they can justify giving away Mavericks? Or did they just decide it doesn't matter anymore?

2. Is iWork only free for new purchases? I bought Numbers a while ago, but I never got around to Keynote or Pages.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
After upgrading, the bubbles in Messages are different colors. I'm seeing the normal white, green (same as my outgoing messages), blue (but not iMessage), and pink(!). Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Attached is a pixelated screenshot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

wolffenstein posted:

In 10.9, Messages defaults to Automatic for message formatting. Change it in Messages Preferences > Viewing tab.

Thanks. What does that even mean? Is that some holdover from the ICQ days when people could format their outgoing messages?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmm, I just realized you can't paste into the OSX lock screen. I guess this makes sense from a security perspective, but I wanted to use 1Password to generate a long, random password to screen share into my Mac mini. It's always something!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to make my own color palette for apps that use the standard OSX color controls. In Mavericks, it looks like I can only add or remove colors, but I can't figure out how to re-arrange them. Am I missing something? The .clr files are binaries too, so I can't edit manually. I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xabi posted:

I've seen this discussed before but I can't seem to find it.

How do I get Windows-style file sorting, i.e. folders first and then "loose" files? Can't live with this "everything in alphabetical (dis)order" system.

I looked for a way to do this once but never had any luck.