Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I emailed them about shipping a Retina menubar icon a few years ago and they said there was a big revamp coming any day now. Crashplan has saved my rear end more than once, and I've never had a problem with the actual synchronization process (unlike Spideroak), but the UI is a confusing, non-native, convoluted mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

slomomofo posted:

iStat Menus

efb - but yeah it's the poo poo

I love iStat Menus, but I've never been able to make heads or tails of the temperature section. I have never been able to figure out what is normal, and what is excessive.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Installed from the App Store, now seeing a flashing folder on reboot. Fuuuuuck.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that WiFi calling is an option, but the majority of the time I am either in public or want to take an incoming call on my actual phone, or I don't want to take the call at all. I wish the notification had a third "ignore" option, similar to how I can click once on the power button to silence an incoming call.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

actionjackson posted:

I just like to be able to customize how things look as much as possible.

Then pay for Bartender.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the subject of Photos, what's the new workflow replacement for Events? It took me years of on and off curating to import photos dating back to 2001 into iPhoto. I made extensive use of Events, which were properly imported to Photos, because they seemed like the best choice at the time. Lately, Photo Stream would auto-create monthly events. I would then pick off interesting events every couple of weeks. Events don't really seem to exist in Photos.

What's the best way to pull out interesting groups of Photos now? Do I use albums? Should I/can I convert all my legacy events into something new?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

kuskus posted:

My rMBP '13 15" refused to fully boot after the update. Verbose boot told me it was hanging on ManyCam as a video device, then the machine would die. I booted into safe mode holding shift and uninstalled it. All is well. Yikes!

Mine turned out to be OS X forgetting about FileVault. I had to boot to the firmware utility, load up the startup disk thing, and enter my FV recovery key. 1Password totally saved my rear end.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a way to sort albums by date in the new Photos app? I just moved all my events out of the auto-imported "iPhoto Events" album and now they're in now discernible order. I'd really like to sort them reverse-chronologically, since that's 10+ years of events I'd have to go through and fix manually.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just upgraded my Mac Mini to Yosemite 10.10.4. It sits behind my router. I use it and Server.app for DHCP, DNS, VPN, etc. After the upgrade, I find that DNS stops working after I haven't used the network for a while. When I get up in the morning, DNS is dead. When I get home from work, DNS is dead. If I toggle DNS off and then back on, everything works, but that's incredibly annoying. It was working perfectly before the upgrade. Does anyone have any idea why DNS would stop responding like that?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

NeuralSpark posted:

They probably changed the template format for Server.app's zone files, and the update / migrate process broke your configs. Anything in Console from bind?

Nothing from bind. The overall "Access" settings got more complicated, so I partially fixed the issue by letting any client on the network connect to the server. The problem now seems to be that DNS dies sometime overnight. The only potentially relevant bits I see are:

code:
Jul 18 00:30:06 home newsyslog[451]: logfile turned over
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 reloading configuration succeeded
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/AAAA/IN': 192.33.14.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/AAAA/IN': 192.33.14.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/A/IN': 192.33.14.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/A/IN': 192.33.14.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/AAAA/IN': 192.26.92.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/AAAA/IN': 192.26.92.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.774 reloading zones succeeded
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.774 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.net/A/IN': 192.228.79.201#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.774 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.net/AAAA/IN': 193.108.88.128#53
I thought that was potentially interesting because maybe DNS is doing something overnight that screws itself up. It works locally, but not for any connected machines. All I have to do is toggle the DNS switch in Server.app to fix things.

I also search the system log for DNS and all I could find was:

code:
Jul 18 00:34:04 networkname.com configd[56]: network changed: v4(en0-:192.168.1.2) DNS- Proxy- SMB-
Jul 18 00:34:10 networkname.com configd[56]: network changed: v4(en0+:192.168.1.2) DNS+ Proxy+ SMB+
Jul 18 04:34:32 networkname.com mDNSResponder[95]: AwdlD2d AwdlD2dStartBrowsingForKey: 'c6b947efff0e424100000000000008efip6arpa' Browsing service started
Jul 18 04:34:33 networkname.com mDNSResponder[95]: AwdlD2d AwdlD2dStopBrowsingForKey: 'c6b947efff0e424100000000000008efip6arpa' Browsing service stopped
I have no idea if that's relevant or not.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something that's been slowly driving me crazy lately: Autocorrect "loops" in text fields while using Safari on OS X. It happens when I type emails in Gmail, replies on SA, or any other longer-form text entry. I'll type a proper noun that isn't in my dictionary and autocorrect will fix it. I'll cmd+Z to undo, but it will undo the whole word. I type again, autocorrect fires again. Sometimes it's so bad that the little autocorrect menu doesn't show up so there's no way to stop it from autocorrecting. I've only noticed this in Safari. In every other app, autocorrect either pops up its little menu, undo works properly, or it doesn't try to re-correct something after I change it back.

Has anyone else noticed this, and please-o-please, is there a way to fix it?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bill Barber posted:

If you pause your typing after you finish the word (but before you hit space or punctuation) you SHOULD be able to hit ESC to cancel the autocorrect.

Although I do remember something similar to what you're saying when it tries to correct grammar errors halfway through a sentence (like it'll try to change hell to he'll after I've already typed 3 more words).

It's supremely frustrating.

Yeah I'm aware of pausing and waiting but like I said sometimes it gets stuck and doesn't fire (or doesn't fire until a few words later), and basically it's the most infuriating thing.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a way to share my Mac's wifi with my phone, e.g. on an airplane? Some Googling leads me to believe that no, it's not possible to share a single wireless interface like that. But with newer Continuity features I thought I'd ask...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

A simple warning, that an app runs heavily in the BG should prevent people from bitching about battery life.

It absolutely would not. You can't fix hardware and software deficiencies with warning messages.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got sick of ad targeting and installed Ghostery on my Mac. Is 1Blocker the thread recommendation?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Idk how'd you compare something like reading a longform article in safari vs. playing around with Snapchat live filters or playing Candy Crush.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I use Safari as my default browser and like to keep Google contained to Chrome as much as possible. Is there any way to intercept links from Mail, Slack, etc. and ask which browser to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toast Museum posted:

I had the same thought. If it's worth :10bux: to you, there's apparently an app called Choosy that does this.

This is exactly what I was looking for, apparently has a 45 day trial. Works great so far.