Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
For any of you who use Chronosync for backups, they released 4.2.2 tonight with "Lion compatibility" Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

Browsing the web with Chrome and listening to songs in iTunes consumes 20% more memory on average in Lion than in Snow Leopard. Any ideas why? This phenomenon doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm on a 2.8 GHz C2D iMac with 4 GB of RAM for some context.

64-bit iTunes? Just a guess.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Isn't that only in iTunes 10.5 betas?

I guess so, I said it was just a guess :)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Since we can now talk about Lion, I'll list out my favorite things about it, and stuff I don't like about it.

Favorite things:
* Resuming of apps. This is killer. Especially when you restart your mac. It logs in so fast and resumes all those silly menubar applications you have running in the background :)
* Launchpad. I know some won't like it, but I've been using my Applications Folder in the dock since forever so this is a welcome improvement on that idea. Also, I love that you put them into iOS style folders and it's not represented by folders on the disk (because sometimes moving apps into real folders on the disk makes upgrades or other things not work quite right).
* Mission Control. I use Expose and spaces constantly, and often I use one and then the other. Now this is one butan for both.

Things I don't like
* The Lozenge button is gone! :( I used this constantly to unmount windows created by mounting a DMG. I would click the lozenge, and then click eject in the sidebar, unmounting the DMG and closing the window in the process. Now I have to open a regular finder window, eject the DMG, then close that finder window.. It's just more steps that it used to be...
* I can't believe reverse scrolling is the default. Glad you can switch it, but until you get it switched, man I'm confused for a bit. Especially since I have a mouse with an actual scroll wheel.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Right-click the "background" of the window and there will be an eject option.

my god, thank you for this.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
As soon as someone gets this installed, I'd love for you to go to About This Mac and let us know the build number.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Cripple Fight posted:

This?

Cool, This conflicts with what people were saying on twitter. This is the same build number as the GM I already downloaded.

Did you take this screenshot from the Mac App Store downloaded version of Lion?

echobucket fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 20, 2011

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

ferretsrule posted:

I've got the same number from the App Store.

I wonder where people are getting this 11A494 from then.. Crazy.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Monkeyseesaw posted:

There's usually an iTunes Helper process running in the background. Maybe try killing that?

It's iTunes Helper. This happened to me too, and killing iTunes Helper fixed it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Here's a fun thing I just found.. hover over a link in iChat and see the little arrow? now click it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
If you were previously used to Spaces and the ability to assign apps to certain spaces, you can do it, but it's not in settings anymore (that I can see anyway)

Right click on an icon in the dock and go to Options and you'll see "Assign To".

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I didn't see it in the OP. What's the preferred app for removing duplicates in iTunes? I'm currently using Pollux for all of my identification / album art but need to prune my library.

I think there's a built in menu option to "Show Duplicates" Have you tried that yet?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

On a slightly related note, I decided to try Lion on an old first gen blanco C2D iMac again..

Still sucks, I get graphics breakups just moving windows around, Launchpad and Mission control are retarded, I think it's the X1600 drivers fault since rebooting back to Snow Leopard runs just fine.. maybe it'll get fixed in 10.7.1 but I doubt it.

Anyone else using it on a 2007 machine or older?

My parent have a white 24" core 2 duo 2.16Ghz machine, but it has the Nvidia 7300GT video card in it. I guess I"m going to upgrade them, but your post is making me leery.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Well, I hit my first big software incompatibility with Lion. Office Communicator 2011 crashes when you try to send an IM. :(

Are there any alternative communicator clients for the Mac?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I notice his trackpad panel has old pre-lion checkboxes... Weird.

Oh, never mind, that's what the look like.. I was looking at the other screenshot and assumed checkboxes were grey now.. but they are still blue.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

qutius posted:

Downgrading to build 13.0 will fix this for now - builds 13.1 and 13.1.1 will both crash when sending or receiving an IM.

Where can you get 13.0 to downgrade from?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So if you want apps that don't support Lion full screen yet to work with Lion, chpwn has come up with a hack.

http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

I tried it, it works with some of my Cocoa apps, but not all of them behave correctly.

Twitter is hilarious in full screen.

The Finder just goes nuts in full screen.

On a bonus, Firefox, TextMate and Transmit all worked fine.

As well as Adobe Lightroom as long as I put it in a window before I launch it and don't use Lightroom's built in full screen mode.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Krakkles posted:

So I couldn't create the Lion disc because my system removed the installer after it installed. I put in my SL DVD and held down C, got to the bootup, ran disk utility, and erased/reformatted my drive.

Now I'm getting this, and I have no idea what to do:

[timg]attachment.php?postid=393819967[/timg]

Is it possible it's not formatted with GUID partition table?

Edit: Also if you are wanting to reinstall SL , you might have to go into disk utility and remove Lion's recovery partition. Or if you want to install Lion fresh, just boot from the recovery partition and do an install.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

The new automator can make little pop up websites.

I currently use Fluid to put the mobile versions of google calendar and google tasks in my menubar. This looks like it might be even nicer, and a little snappier too. Very cool.

I used this to make a service for Safari called "Open Page in iPhone Popup"
It's quite nifty.

On an unrelated note, since Lion, I've pulled my Magic Mouse out of the drawer it was in to play with the gestures, and I've decided I mostly like them. However, the one thing I miss is, I used to be able to click the scroll wheel on my old mouse to open links in a new tab.. Now I have to right click and choose it from the menu. Is there any cool shortcut to opening links in a new tab with a Magic Mouse?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Blah... just found two big Application which don't work for me for screen sharing. Both the Chax pluging for iChat to auto accept screen sharing, and LogMeIn shows a black screen when logging in with the iPhone/iPad app for the web client thing.

Oh well, I'm sure both of them will be updated in time, but I'm surprised everything else I own has worked so far.

Logmein has been updated, launch it and manually run the updater.

As for chax, the author posted a note on his site that he's working on the plugin for Lion.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Didn't see this answered, but you can do View -> Exit Full Screen or Shift + Command + F

Yes, but the real problem is, Chrome added the Lion style full screen button, but then didn't use the Lion APIs for fullscreen. So it doesn't go on it's own space, it actually takes up your regular desktop.

I just wish they haven't done the button at all.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

duck monster posted:

Why on earth would they do this? :confused:

I love lion, but theres some god drat mystifying defaults in this thing.

I wonder if theres something under the hood to disable this godawful thing altogether. There really are not any situations i can think of where you'd need to hard boot and want to resume all 900+ adhd opened programs.

Especially so when a huge of the people out there wont have little blue dots under their programs to even tell them they are opened. Some folks are just going to have their computers slowing the gently caress down for no obvious reason, reboot to reclaim the machine and then it just slows down.

It honestly feels like some bits of lion are there because iOS , not because its a good idea.

Lion will automatically suspend and resume programs in the background in order to free up resources.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Corbet posted:

I don't see iCloud being a viable use for my music needs considering I can't stream from a web interface or even an installed copy of iTunes on a work computer, for example.

To be fair, none of the details of the "iTunes Match" Service have been released so we don't know how this will work at all.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

unruly posted:

Yeah, I dunno how it happened, but that happened to me not too long ago. I wasn't entering anything special. Hmmm. It doesn't seem to be triggered by the iOS-esque key-hold for more options, either...

Check here:

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Export is Save As...

Actually isn't "Duplicate" what you want?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Well that's retarded. Why would they make it different in in different programs? So much for Apple standardization.

(In my defense, Export works as a Save As in Preview just dandy - I assumed it would work the same across other programs)

It is different if the program supports autosave and versioning. Older programs don't support it and thus don't have those menus.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

amf5 posted:

Since there's a ton of people still bitching about Preview and TextEdit's "Export" bullshit, I threw together a script that'll replace Lion's lame as hell versions of Preview and TextEdit with Snow Leopard's, and backup Lion's copies if for some reason you decide you want to punish yourself and go back to using those.

Download here: http://db.tt/sh2dZ4g

I tested this on two different Macs running Lion and tried to prevent you from doing anything really stupid (like running on 10.6), but keep in mind this might not work for you, could make you sterile or might blow up your house or something. To use it, just double-click the install script; to remove it and go back to the way things were, double-click the uninstall script.

e: I should probably note here that you'll very likely have to run this again after upgrading to 10.7.x

This isn't a long term solution, as these are new APIs in Lion, and unless you never plan on upgrading any of your apps, you can't get away with this forever.

I figure within a year most apps will start using autosave and versions.

I guess what I'm saying is, you should get used to the new way of doing things. It really will be better in the long run.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

As nice as some additions Lion brought are, I'm having some pretty serious issues. Most notably not being able to turn the display off on my MBP. It was possible in SL by jumping through a couple of hoops (but listed as a 'feature' on Apple's site) but not in Lion. Having both my MBP's monitor and my external Cinema HD on, especially when doing something graphics intensive like playing a game, is causing some heat issues and graphical corruption I never saw in SL.

Also Mail 5 is asking for my Gmail account password on a daily basis even though I've saved it in the keychain. What the poo poo is that?

Is there any speculation yet as to when 10.7.1 is supposed to hit? 10.6.1 came pretty quickly after SL was released, right? I'm really hoping for some fixes. :(

Close the lid and wake up the macbook pro with the mouse?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

This was the exact method I used with SL to make it happen, but with Lion it works up until I reopen the lid, the MBP monitor wakes up instantly.

I just found a thread about it on Apple's forums, seems like I'm not the only one having problems with this. So I guess I can just file a complaint/bug report/whatever and hope they do something. v:saddowns:v

Um, maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just leave the lid closed?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

amf5 posted:

I don't like it, it doesn't add any appreciable new functionality, and it's implemented terribly. It's only "the new way of doing things" for two applications. The "feature" is the one who sucks, why should I change the way I've been doing things for like 20 years?

It does add new functionality. It provides autosaving of files and the ability to roll back to any previous version of your file. Just because you don't appreciate it doesn't mean tons of other people won't love it.

If you did want to keep the keyboard shortcut for Save As.. mapped to Duplicate you can do this in the Keyboard Shortcuts prefpane.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 3, 2011

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Because sometimes you just want to save a copy of a file for later editing without worrying about digging through a revision tree.

There's no digging through a revision tree, you hit "Duplicate" and then save the file with a new name.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

SmirkingJack posted:

To satisfy my curiosity, how does it interfere with your natural usage process?

See, he evolved to use a computer in a certain way, and Lion interferes with this.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
The only truly cross platform password management solution I've found is lastpass.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Does anyone know of any software that will capture the screen of your mac and airplay the screen to an Apple TV? Basically like the Airplay mirroring for iPad 2, but from a mac.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Here's a fun easter egg. Go into Mission Control or Launchpad and Press "Command-M". This turns on Motion Blur animations. Try swiping left and right. Whoosh!

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110818093802173

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

japtor posted:

Wasn't Lion supposed to have a notifications system built in?

It does, but it's limited to putting badges on app icons in the dock and launchpad.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
You can now rearrange desktops by dragging them around in 10.7.2 :dance:

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
While we are posting links, does anyone have a link directly to the iPhoto 9.2 update? I need to install over iPhoto 9.2 beta 3 because auto update isn't working.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

duck monster posted:

Its not really an option. iCloud doesn't have the features I need so I'll be passing up on it until they add them. At least delaying the inevitable means the inevitable has been delayed.

I've heard of people using Dropbox to accomplish a lot of what the old Mobile Me Sync system used to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

CaptainCaveman posted:

:ughh:

The really sad thing is I bet there will be a lot of people who read your post and are shocked and surprised. A feature designed as "'Your photos are instantly pushed to all your devices' instantly pushes my photos to all my devices! Oh my!"

(I'm not really face palming at you specifically so much as this is something that seems to keep cropping up around the web.)

My mom's reaction was the same I've heard from many, They like the idea of photostream but are confused when they can't delete things from it. I bet an update to either iCloud.com or iOS is coming to fix this.