Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha. looks like roaringapps.com is getting hammered.
anyone know if logic is completely cool on Lion?

brap fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah a hidden 20-30 gb partition would be absolutely unacceptable when they are shipping notebooks with 64 gb of storage as their "everyone" model now. Good thing that's not the case. Now I can lust after the new air in peace.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
alternatively you can presumably just pick up one of the flash drives for $69 when they become available.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw the safari 5.1 update on snow leopard claiming a resume feature but it seems nowhere to be found :smith:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pretty sure you'll need to image a flash drive or burn a dvd and clean install for leopard and earlier machines.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it still possible to grab scroll bars if you set them to always appear?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Grabbing scrollbars with the cursor isn't that hard even if they're set to hide automatically. Moving the cursor immediately after scrolling makes the scroll bars persist longer.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't reproduce the problem on other computers in the network I assume?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason that this "Keyboard and Characters viewer" icon would spontaneously appear in my menu bar?

edit: when I unchecked the box to display it, a US flag popped up in its place for language & text preferences. wtf?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To spread application windows in mission control you swipe up with two fingers. Not the most intuitive in my opinion. The new grouping and scaling alone is a huge improvement.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I've had no problems with it on my Air v:shobon:v

I do wish that you could two-finger swipe to go back a page though, instead of using the back arrow.

Yeah, removing going back from a bunch of miscellaneous built-in apps was a bad idea. Maybe they didn't have time to implement the new safari visual effect with the gesture and didn't want something inconsistent. You could two finger swipe to go back or forward on practically anything with back and forward buttons IIRC in Snow Leopard.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they were serious about offering a lion version in a timely manner they would have implemented those features in canary and beta during the lion developer preview.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have to migrate back to Snow Leopard because I need to run Pro Tools and I'm already missing the new stuff-- the improved window grouping in Mission Control, the new Mail.. I hope Digidesign takes less than an entire freakin year to update for Lion compatibility.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mayodreams posted:

If you are on ProTools 9, the latest 9.0.5 update that dropped last week adds Lion compatibility in a 'beta' form. I have done some light testing, but everything seems to work so far. However, if you are using an Mbox, you may want to wait because those drivers are really in beta, and caused GarageBand to fail during launch.

Just noticed that. Maybe I'll get the scratch for a version 9 upgrade and an (ugh) iLok.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
doesn't OS X normally deal with reinstalls on top of existing system partitions by putting everything from the old install by putting everything in /Previous System anyway?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The entire computer market is trending toward Macs.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why wouldn't you put the ssd in the computer you want to put an ssd in, boot from the snow leopard disc, format the ssd and install mac os x?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Venkmanologist posted:

It says it can't install Snow Leopard because the hard drive doesn't already have existing copy of OS X installed. As if it thinks I want to upgrade the OS, but there's nothing to upgrade.

Where'd you get the disc from?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you reboot without automatically restoring windows? Maybe see if there's a way to launch the dashboard application without restoring its windows? Maybe you have to kill something in activity monitor or terminal?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

I brought myself a new macbook the other day (After carefully modifying the previous ones hardware configuration with a cup of coffee :( ) , 2GHz i7 8gig.

There was no install media that came with it. OK now I get for whatever wierd reason apple doesn't do install DVDs anymore.... but I do.

Is there some way to extract a lion install disk, or create some sort of re-install golden disk or whatever in-case i accidently nuke my hard drive (or replace it with a third party SSD) or completely gently caress up the config and want to flatten and re-install, or something?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/
Internet Recovery is built in to 2011 Macbook Pros.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
are they making it so lion full screen doesn't gently caress people with multiple monitors?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
NTFS. And the easiest solution might be to just reformat the external as exFAT.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1password looks like a really good idea, but I don't understand why an app that could be marketed to basically every computer user is that expensive.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

Because it's worth the price?

My point is that apps tend to be priced inversely proportional to their potential userbase. Many of the most profitable apps on the app store have the lowest prices. This isn't about how much you personally are willing to pay-- it's about what price you can set it at to earn the maximum possible profit. The vast majority of people use the same password for pretty much every site, maybe just a dictionary word, maybe with a few numbers or something, but nothing really secure like 1password and 95% of them are going to shrug and lose interest when they see it costs $50.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Would they really have the balls to release something radically different? Last time somebody tried that (Vista) it got destroyed.

People hate change. Just look at the extremely minor changes that Facebook makes.

Vista didn't do badly because it was radically different, as much as it was simply in an immature state for its first few years and important third parties like nVidia dropped the ball severely on compatibility.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if you use your caps lock key regularly, you're probably a grandma writing an email forward anyway, so there you go.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if you're trying to bypass upgrade activation, you don't need to bother installing XP. You can just install Windows 7, don't input a serial, and then reinstall on top of it and input the serial. It's the intended method for, say, if you bought an older version of Windows but the disc is scratched and you just want to get up and running.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's very strange that VLC didn't work, but MPlayerX might.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hasn't Silverlight been EOLed?
Oops. Beaten

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you discount your app by 94% under any circumstances, maybe you're charging too much for it. Just a thought.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah, that's no bueno. I'd right click on the icon in the middle of the window's title bar, click on the containing folder and drag the file to the desktop.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
isn't automatic versioning supposed to make it pretty easy to switch between the original file and the edited one you made, and export whichever one you want to keep separately?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am totally baffled by what could be causing my 2010 MacBook running 10.6.8 to not want to shut down. When I go to reboot, none of the apps close themselves and eventually I'll get a notice saying the shutdown was cancelled because iTunes took too long to quit. If I close everything it'll say system preferences took too long to quit. Googling didn't really enlighten me and I think it has persisted through a clean reinstall too. Ideas?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's true, but it's still dumb to use optical disks for movies these days. Christmas present? I would call them and express disappointment in their build quality.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why would it matter on his 2011 mbp
p.s. the reason it doesnt work is that it's broken. i recommend making an appointment at an apple store.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it needs to not be featured on sale if it doesn't work on the most recent version of OS X. Still, I think that it had a good run, and I don't resent them for not supporting it after all these years, especially with the new Diablo on the way, as long as they make it dead clear about compatibility and aren't putting it on sale front and center. It isn't that hard to run the game in a VM or Boot Camp, though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A little rosetta make your muffin betta and your PPC apps run on Intel processors.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
on iTunes Match: I'd be pretty surprised if it was actually restarting the upload of your collection from scratch. I had to run it a few times, do some weird loving toggling and poo poo to get it to go, but eventually it all went up. Now on my phone, it can be a little sketchy especially depending on the service when I have it stream over 3g. I will sometimes tap one song and have its play screen come up and have a different song actually play back. It will sometimes assign random album art to things. All in all it's pretty disappointing for Apple. It's the first time I've had access to my whole library on my phone like this, so I do like it when it actually works.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
huh? if the drive is formatted right there shouldn't be an issue. If it asks for media and doesn't like the USB drive, just try restarting and booting off of it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xithyl posted:

To those of your running Bootcamp with Windows 7 on your MBP: do you notice the unit seems get noticeably hotter, though not over-the-top hot, when using Windows 7 as oppose to Lion?

This is normal. The power management isn't as smart in Windows. If you have a 15 or 17-inch, the dedicated GPU will be forced on in Windows at all times as well (thanks for that one Apple.)