Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I have a very silly situation.

I have a, I believe, late-2012 macbook pro. It happens to have an Icelandic keyboard, that's not relevant but it's fun to type on.

It had been running windows 10, and I remembered having to go to some effort to get it on there, but not all the details. The HDD, of course, died. I replaced it with an SSD.

My first attempt was to do a recovery install of Lion, this is no longer possible. I burned Lion to a DVD. I installed Lion. I installed Bootcamp. I installed Windows 7 after burning a windows 7 DVD. I installed the bootcamp addons. At this point I did a clean install of windows 10 (all of this in UEFI mode) and promptly lost the ability to use the soundcard. I did some reading, some things about UEFI, some complicated fixes I didn't want to gently caress with.

I went back to a new Lion install, new bootcamp install, windows 7 install. Windows 10 upgrade install. No I don't know where any of my windows 10 keys are, I buy one from a site that looks slightly reputable.

At this point windows 10 installs and sound works, in fact everything works except for the touchpad which is seen as two touchpad devices, neither of which can start because of missing or corrupt registry information.

I mostly want to use this on the go with audio apps, so the sound is much more important than the touchpad, but I also feel like there must be a way to make this work, since the touchpad worked fine on a fresh windows install (but no sound).

I could get a computer that does what this does and isn't 10 years old for $300 or something I am sure, but, this computer is 10 years old and still feels bulletproof and does what I want generally so I am not looking to dumpster it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU