Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I just moved to the San Francisco Bay area. Yesterday I got Comcast to start internet service in my new place.

My Airport Express, connected to a Motorola modem, did 2 things as I monkied with Airport Utility trying to get it to work:

1. Lit up green, but didn't allow any of my devices online
2. Lit up amber + blinky (meaning an error), but allowed my laptop alone online

Not thinking it would help, I changed it to distribute IP addresses from the 10.0.1.x format to the 192.168.1.x format. Now everything works fine.

Anyone know why it behaved this way? Makes no sense to me.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I need a calendar program (cloud hosted is fine) where I can print a month calendar view that prints with all my calendar's notes. The programs I've tried will print a month just fine, but they don't include each event's notes.

Any suggestions?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Just downloaded an app from the app store in Snow Leopard. App won't run, can't force quit it, can't delete it (Finder says it's in use). Tried rebooting, still "in use".

How can I delete this app?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What happens if I migrate my MobileMe account to iCloud, but my Macbook still runs Snow Leopard? Do a bunch of iCloud services become unusable on my laptop?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I haven't bought Lion because I am afraid it will slow down my machine, like iOS 4 did to my old iPhone 3G.

I am running a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo + 2GB RAM (it's the Unibody Macbook from before they started calling all the unibodies Macbook Pros).

What can I expect from Lion's performance?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Twice I've received a PDF with fill-in-the-blanks, opened it in Preview, filled in the blanks, emailed it, and then was told by the recipient that the PDF was blank. Puzzlingly, when I open the PDF on my computer, the blanks are still filled in.

I'm using Preview. I don't know if the recipients were on OS X or Windows.

How do I fix this?

EDIT: Also, before Lion I liked being able to go into Spaces and then activate Expose, it showed every open window in every open space. I cannot figure out a way to do a similar action in Lion. Can it be done?

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 13, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

wolffenstein posted:

Apps need to specifically support iCloud API calls. Apple never got iDisk working great during .Mac/MobileMe, so they dropped it for iCloud.

To this day I use iDisk all the time and I am actually quite sad to see it go (albeit next summer). In what way was it never working well?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Can you guys recommend me some software to convert PDF -> ePub formats? I've googled, and what I find seems rather shady.

Thanks!

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Is there a non pain in the rear end way to play Planescape: Torment under Lion?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have a Mac here that I need to reset the admin password on. It is a donated machine, so nobody knows the current password. It runs Tiger.

Does Tiger allow you to reset the password without loss of data by using the install disc?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I want to use Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on an early 2010 15'' Macbook Pro. When I run Boot Camp Assistant and tell it to download the necessary software, it tells me the software isn't available. Apparently this has been a known problem for some time.

I do not have access to my OSX disc, and I am not about to buy another for this purpose. I am running Snow Leopard, and do not want to upgrade to Lion right now.

Where can I get the proper drives to install Windows?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I need an app to move my mouse point around the screen, and click on predefined X/Y coordinates. I know Automator can do this, but I've never made an Automator script. Can Automator repeat such an action on a loop, infinitely? Is there a maximum number of repetitions?

Is there a better program you know of for this purpose?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

NESguerilla posted:

As much as that makes sense to me now that you explain it, I still feel like it's something worth letting consumers know. As someone who rarely plays games on PC I wouldn't have known that in a million years and it's issues like that make me not want to touch PC games with a ten foot pole.

It's a bummer cause I really wanted some nostalgic fun but I am sure Kmart will take it back if I whine hard enough.

The shocking thing to me is that K-Mart is still selling boxed copies of Diablo 2!

If you want to dabble in some games on your Mac, it's worth having a Bootcamp partition - even if you're not a terribly serious gamer, the bottom line is that the vast majority of games are Windows only. Heck, I'm writing this post from my gaming Bootcamp partition!

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Pages has a handy button under "Share" labeled "Send Via Mail". This button is supposed to convert the current document to the format of your choice, then plop it in a new email message. Lately, when I click this button, nothing at all happens.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you change your default email client?

Nope, using regular old Mail. It has been broken since I upgraded to Lion, I think.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Fixed the Send Via Mail issue, and the solution was entirely bizarre.

I liked having Pages, Keynote, and Numbers in the Applications folder rather than in Applications\iWork '09. I had trouble getting the programs to update, as well as the Send Via Mail problem, and an Apple Support Community document said that the programs would update properly only if they remained in a properly titled "iWork '09" folder.

I put the apps back in the folder, and now they both update and export as normal. Weird.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I had been happily using MacFUSE + NTFS-3G in Snow Leopard. I now need NTFS read/write support in Lion, and it seems MacFUSE and NTFS-3G don't work.

Can I make them work in Lion? If not, is there an equally good free alternative?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I had a MobileMe account that I just switched to iCloud (I'm a slowpoke, sue me), and I have a few questions -

1. I have two accounts: an account that I use for iTunes purchases and the MobileMe-now-iCloud account for syncing across devices and other goodies. I never use the MobileMe email address. Is there any reason not to ditch the MobileMe account and just use the iTunes purchases account for everything?

2. What happens if I try to back up to iCloud but my backup is >5GB? Does it do a partial backup, or force me to delete stuff before another backup happens?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

I have this same crap in my launch pad. Is it possible to delete them?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Is there a consensus on whether ML improves performance over Lion, especially on older macs? My 2009 aluminum Macbook with 2GB of RAM chugs if I open more than a couple apps in Lion - I only want to move to ML if things get better (or at least stay the same).

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Like so many others, I have two AppleIDs and I'm sick of it. I'm right now trying to consolidate on one AppleID.

To use Notes with iCloud I have to have an @icloud.com email address on the account I am consolidating to. Currently, that account is made on my @gmail.com email. I am happy to add a throwaway email name to this account just so I can use notes. However, I am concerned that adding an @icloud email address to this account will permanently change the account's name to that new @icloud email.

Will iCloud force me to use the @icloud name as my AppleID login if I add the email address, or can I add the address and just ignore it?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have decided to try Divvy for window management.

What are some good shortcuts I can use that aren't already taken by OS X itself? Right now I use Cmd-Shift-D to bring up Divvy, but I know a couple apps already use that combo (it sends an email in Mail, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
At work I use two external monitors along with my 15' MPB. I generally have anywhere from 5-15 windows open across all monitors and spaces. I use Divvy for window management and I am happy with it, but I still have one problem.

I frequently disconnect the two external monitors so I can bring the MBP to meetings, etc. When I do this, all the windows on the externals get dumped onto the laptop's monitor. When I reconnect the externals I have to manually place those windows back where I wanted them.

Is there some utility that will automagically move windows back to their positions on the external monitors when I reconnect the externals?