Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
That's a fair point, but I work on a lot of stuff that uses different apps, and if there's that little dot or whatever under it, I know I didn't save and still need to keep moving :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Interested in any Mac Black Friday app deals? This is a good list.

https://github.com/mRs-/Black-Friday-Deals
Wow, thanks for this. Grabbing at least three from the Productivity category.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Holy cow. Thanks guys. Happy Thanksgiving!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Arivia posted:

Please let us know what actually did pop up from the CMD + Period shortcut, it looks familiar but I can’t quite place it.

He did. :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Well that’s interesting.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

What did that guy just post? :stare:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Am I missing something?
Why does a Safari Private Window remember login credentials?
Is that a bug or a feature, I just noticed it, I guess it's been doing it the whole time, but sort of seems silly :raise:

e: I don't think it does that in Chrome Incognito Window, I'll try later but :effort:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean use credentials that were previously stored, or store new credentials that you entered while in Private Browsing mode? The former is expected, but the latter would be really bad.

Private Browsing basically makes your profile data “read only”: it will still use your history for autocomplete, let you access your bookmarks, and use stored credentials. It’s not anonymous browsing (though Chrome’s naming is really bad here) or a “clean profile”. In Chrome and Firefox you can use profiles or containers for an emptier browser data setup.
Previously stored, but not in Private Mode.
Doesn't that end up defeating the entire purpose, though?

Glimpse posted:

It’s never used stored credentials for me. Like, if I visit somethingawful.com in private browsing mode I will have to log in every time despite having the cookie in regular mode.
That's how I noticed it.

Warbird posted:

Just enable your adblocker and password manager extensions to work in private mode and you're off to the races.
Pi-Hole, which I have lists set to block over 1.3million domains is always active (which sometimes is a pain), and I use 1Password so most of my passwords look like
code:
8KXzKdRMic8GZYN!K8_B@kfaMWBXi7U3WqFtCC!onKhQoQnPuifWQveLjDE7.xDiTnUPQ!4k@jMHyNMCA4sZFdh!yxskX888uuAV

Subjunctive posted:

I meant saved usernames and passwords
Yeah, I went down the rabbit hole. It knows them all in Private Browsing mode.

I don't really care, I just thought it was weird v:shobon:v

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 15, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Do it in Private Mode :v:
And then figure out a way to get to my phone to kill 2FA, I guess? Lol.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

That’s fair, jokes on me then, because I totally figured it could be used that way :v:

I guess I’ll just use it so no one can see how many times I’ve watched 2Girls1Cup or whatever.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 15, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Lol, that's amazing.

I swear though, I didn't think it worked that way.
The only reason I noticed is because I was trying to be slick and login to my test/dev provider as opposed to my production account and noticed it knew.

Back to going back to Chrome (that takes a million years to open for some reason), and just flushing everything out before holding Command+Q for 4 seconds, for reasons I'll never understand.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

People still use Opera? :stare:
Didn’t it change to a pay model like 20 years ago?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

It keeps rearranging my monitor configuration each restart

I'd have to revert back over this one :argh:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Same.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

what is the adblock environment like in the Mac ecosystem? I like having Ublock on my desktop's browser, the Fennec browser on my phone which has the mobile version of Ublock, and I watch youtube via NewPipe. Are there equivalents to these?

I’m throwing my vote in for Pi-Hole, and just use it on a device by device basis, not globally.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Arivia posted:

Nonsense. Sometimes with computers it’s not what you know, it’s just trying poo poo until it works even if you don’t know why. Goes back decades, even predating the home computer: http://catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

This is awesome.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Oddly enough, I just spun up a new Linux VM in an unRAID setup today. May not suit your needs but it most certainly works for what the client wanted.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Wait, what? :stare:
There's no way they let you add your own emojis on an non-jailbroken iPhone or MacBook, is there? :ohdear:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, but in iMessage or in the SA App or whatever?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

This is not an iPhone emoji.
I'm confused.
Teach me your Jedi tricks.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Oh.Also, yes, I know.
Somehow I thought you were inserting new emojis into iMessage.
Yeah, I've long been aware of the "this is what I want to type, do not autocorrect" thing, I just thought you found something cool :v:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I noticed this too, but I thought it was just me :stare:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

:nexus:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

prom candy posted:

The Magic Mouse is loving awful, I don't understand how people use it.

I’ll co-sign this.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

iMouse or whatever sucks.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, I don't understand all the hate for open tabs.

I always have at least 10, 5 for work stuff and 5 for personal stuff.

Why you guys only keep 1 tab open is more weird to me than having 100 tabs open. YMMV v:shobon:v

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

smr posted:

Yes, I definitely want to keep opening and closing the 5-20 work tabs I’m in and out of all day. That would be very efficient.
This was my point.

If you don’t have that many tabs open for work, you’re slacking, or not trying hard enough to earn your salary.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

If you're not your own boss, owning your own Company you missed a step along the way, but as long as it works :)

e: my avatar

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

How many YouTube videos can you watch at once?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

buglord posted:

I have a coworker using a 2017 MacBook (personal device) with the following specs:

MacBook Pro 13 2017
2.3Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB LP DDR3 2133Mhz
An intel iGPU of some sort
128GB SSD

He’s still running macOS High Sierra. Security isn’t a concern for him, but he’s worried that if he updates for sake of security and features (like running modern versions of Chrome/FF) he’ll be bogged down by new OS bloat and the computer will be noticeably more sluggish after an upgrade. He’d prefer not to lose any performance or have his already meager SSD space hugely impacted (I think the current OS install size is 22GB)

I have my own opinions on upgrading but I told him I’d still ask around to see if he should upgrade. Also if he really hates the slowdown of a modern OS, can he revert back (even if that reversion requires a nuke & pave?)

I have a 2017 MacBook Air (which is now 100% capped at Monterey and I still love it, if that helps at all.

edit: and my laptop is 1.8ghz and also 8GB RAM and 128 GB storage.
He/she will be fine.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 29, 2024

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

You had the gumption to recommend that, that was my first thought too, but I kept my mouth shut.

I think it all depends on what you’re trying to create. Pages totally works for so many things, and he said he wanted simple so InDesign is out.

But yeah, Word for Mac, or try to get acclimated to Pages.

Or if you just want something super simple, just use Notes?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

"BobHoward posted:

the Airs are less powerful, and that's only because they lack a cooling fan.

Please tell that to my 2017 Air, because that thing has a fan that might match a leaf blower.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Fair enough :cheers:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

SaintFu posted:

Cmd-Opt-Shift-V also works.

That’s a lot buttons to be pressing at once when there’s a million ways to do it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Warbird posted:

DBeaver looks pretty good
code:
INSERT INTO Beaver
VALUES (D)
:wink: