Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Manky posted:

My main computer is an aging MacBook Pro 4,1 (early '08), 4GB of RAM. Recently I've been running into some problems - whenever I open my Pictures folder, the whole system just chugs almost to a halt. There's an audible harddrive sound, kind of a whining? The folder is only like 18GB.

That sort of extreme chugging is literally exactly what happened when my first gen (core duo) MBP HDD died. I think it happened to me whenever I tried to open CBR files (which are just RARs full of picture files). after a while, doing literally anything was a chore. Then OS X wouldn't boot, and target disc mode worked for about an hour before the disc shat the bed completely and I lost whatever data I couldn't pull off of it. New HDD fixed it completely.

I know you already said you're backing up, just wanted to throw my experience in there. Shame hard drives are so expensive these days. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

If I designate a drive for a Time Machine backup, can I still store files on it? Hypothetical here is backing up my computer to external HDD but keeping my music library on the drive and off the SSD.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

It's been years since I've had a functional Mac, pardon my silly question.

Are anti-virus programs still unnecessary? Judging by the chat in the last page or so of the thread, can I just settle for clicktoplugin?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I have a question about Time Machine/a solicitation for advice on backups.

I have a MBP, and the SSD in here is a little cramped for media. My media drive has enough irreplaceable stuff on it - pictures, movies, etc - that I'd love to be able to keep it all backed up in case of drive failure. If I connect an external to my Airport Extreme as NAS for media, then plug a HDD into my mac via USB, can I set it to also backup the NAS? I know running backups off drives you actually have to remember to plug in defeats some of the convenience of Time Machine, but I'm not sure how else to run this.

In the alternative, can someone suggest a method of handling all this poo poo in a more seamless way?

This doesn't feel like a terribly uncommon situation, surely someone's figured out a decent way to do this.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 21, 2015