Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lion is out.

EDIT: :argh: At least I had an App Store link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh, in case you missed the press release while you were in a mad rush to download Lion, there will be a physical release - a $69 USB thumbstick version coming "later this month".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm going to be getting the new Macbook Air (my first Mac!) on the weekend, and I'm wondering if there's anything I really should get at the same time. What sort of apps would you guys consider must-have for an OSX newcomer?

Also, from what I understand, iWork doesn't come with new Macs like iLife does, and I'll be typing lots of lecture notes that I'd like to be able to read in Word 2007 on PC. What should I choose to get, iWork or Office 2011?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Depends heavily on what you want with it / where you're coming from. If you are a Windows user, TotalFinder rocks your world.

As far as iWork, yes, it's a separate package. It reads Office docs just fine, but it won't save them if I remember correctly.

Personally, I like them just fine for casual use, but if you're going to be doing heavy spreadsheet stuff, or having to do a lot of file exchanging with office apps, it's probably best to just get Office.
Thanks. The extent of my office-ry will mostly be writing and the occasional presentation slideshow. I'll get the one that's cheaper, then (might be able to get Office 2011 cheaper via the It's Not Cheating promo).

As for what I want to do with it, well, I'm coming from a slow clunky piece-of-poo poo Acer laptop and a pretty powerful Windows PC, and I'm mostly looking for some web design, some light gaming (I doubt the Air will run the lion's share of my Steam library), that sort of thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've been using Adium for IM, but it seems to be a little buggy - the URL button doesn't seem to actually do anything, for one.

Is there anything better for using MSN and AIM in one client?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Does anybody else with one of the new Airs get a few seconds of beachballing when loading pages of the App Store? It feels far less responsive than the iTunes Store does.

Also, is there a way to make the App Store remember my password like iTunes can? Having to re-enter my password every time I want to download an update is kind of annoying.