Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.
Edit - god drat it wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

Cold Sprunk posted:

Anyone used bootcamp for Windows 7? How do you like it? I may try it on my 2011 Macbook Pro for gaming purposes...

I installed this on my MBP and didn't even boot into it. Opened the partition using Parallels which I found to be loving fantastic. The mouse took a bit of tweaking, but I was playing Counter-strike (just for laughs) with no problems.

I'm new to Mac's and the fact I could do this and flick between different OSX poo poo, like it wasn't even a big deal, was a big deal to me. I seem to recall VMs being terrible a few years ago.

neolithic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 16, 2011

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

x-virge posted:

Yep. You can drag aliases to the Finder toolbar. In NeXTSTEP it was the shelf.

This is great for dealing with Windows file server alias's. Thanks.

Also, I'm still not all that impressed with how OSX handles Windows shares - *clicks on server.... connecting....* etc. The alias in the Finder bar helps, but I kind of wanted a bunch of shares in the Favorites bar to kind of imitate permanently mapped shares I used to have in Windows...

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

japtor posted:

Tried adding them to login items like in the screenshot above? That might help a bit since it'll just mount them all at login rather than whenever you get around to clicking them. Otherwise are you adding the mounted shares themselves or address links? (not sure it it really makes a difference, but maybe it does once it's mounted)

Basically everytime you sleep the Mac they all get dismounted. As far as I've been able to search there is no reliable/easy method to keep permanent Windows share mounts. I just have a bunch of Alias links now which works a bit quicker, I guess.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

This is the best solution provided in this thread.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.
Just for laughs, anyone getting Error 100 should try checking for System Updates. Mine worked straight after I downloaded some seemingly unrelated updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.
So Gestures are breaking on sleep, as well as the Dock at least half the time. I have to force quit Dock in Activity Monitor to get things appearing/disappearing properly. I updated rather than clean installing.

Any fixes out for these yet or do I have to gently caress about clean installing to make it go away?

neolithic fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 6, 2012