Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My MBP's doing a weird thing: sometimes (but not always) when I open it, with a far form empty battery, it'll do the dead-battery waking from sleep thing (with the slow progress bar), instead of just waking up normally. Anyone know why it would do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I'm trying to download and install Catalina on my Mojave Macbook Pro, but every link from a helpful "here's the appstore link" article I follow gives me a "cannot connect to app store" error. The rest of the app store is working fine.

Should this work, or is it impossible?

E: Never mind, worked when I clicked the link from Safari instead of FF

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 16, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

It will work within your network without a Internet connection. Obviously it is physically impossible for you to communicate from outside your lan into your lan hwithout an Internet connection.

All HomeKit certified devices connect to the hub via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and must be able to work without access to the internet. And in fact, barring a attempt to change your smart devices from outside of your home from your phone or another Apple device, all communication is done locally.

Now, of course if you set something up with homebridge that isn’t certified to work with HomeKit then the homebridge itself will communicate directly with your hub without needing to be able to access the Internet but whatever devices are connecting to the homebridge may need access to the Internet because they are not designed to work with HomeKit directly.

This is interesting to me, because I'm trying and failing to find a smart thermostat (in the EU) which I can control from my iPhone, but which doesn't see the internet - I eventually want to create a separate VLAN for my IoT devices and keep them walled off from the outside world. So HomeKit certified ones should allow this?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Correct. The ecobee thermostat should be homekit certified.

You can also get a homekit compatible router like the Eero which, when you set it up in homekit, will put firewalls around any homekit devices on your network to prevent them from communicating with the internet at large, forcing them to go through the homekit hub.

This could be useful if you have homekit devices which support multiple home automation services and you don't trust them to not be taking to the internet.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036319531-How-to-use-HomeKit-with-your-eero-Network

There's a home automation thread on SA that may have more informed people as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Thanks. Annoyingly, Ecobee seems to be the one major manufacturer that's North America only. Same chat in the home automation thread. I'll keep up the search.

---

For actual Mac software chat, I've just upgraded to Catalina (I was hanging on for a vital app to go 64). In iTunes I liked to be in "songs" view, and then when you search, it narrows the songs list to matching songs. Now in the Music app, it jumps you to a graphical results page, which I don't like. Any way to go back to the old way?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I did a few seconds of searching and maybe this would work? When I stayed in Germany for a month a couple of years ago I had a setup that this likely would have worked for.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/02/netatmo-smart-thermostat-smart-radiator-valves-homekit-europe/

Ah, I had discounted them because they don't support OpenTherm, but it looks like they have a secret, more expensive option that does. Thanks!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Zenostein posted:

For Music, you want to be using the filter field. Apparently, I didn't need to set the regular search shortcut to something else, but if it behaves strangely then maybe change that, too. At the very least, you'll need both the show and hide options, otherwise pressing cmd-f will only open, not hide the little search filter pane. Also, remember that for changing shortcut keys like this, you need to type the menu item's name exactly, so if you're not using english, you'll need to sort out what the appropriate menu item is.

f.e: Wow, there's a ton of wasted space in that screenshot.

That's the badger. Thanks :)

SlowBloke posted:

The valves/thermostat have no object/programming permanence, every status change comes from the internet so if internet goes down, HomeKit might not be able to fire up automation. I’ll test it tomorrow as RN the boiler is shut down.

Much appreciated. All I want to do is set a target temperature from my phone, and maybe schedule a daily shutoff at 2300 in case we forget, without having my thermostat on the internet with another proprietary cloud account. Seems like it should be that hard, but that's IoT/capitalism...

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 27, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Tado is HomeKit certified as well. Hive is poo poo, do not buy it.

I saw them and discounted it because

"No Internet connection just means that controlling your heating or air conditioning remotely via the mobile or web app is not possible during this time."

And also because lots of people were moaning about a monthly fee to use the app, but again, if basic temperature setting via HomeKit is possible on LAN only, that would be fine (and cheaper than the Netatmo mentioned above).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

If its homekit certified it should work through the internet as well, as long as both the homekit hub and the iphone/ipad/mac that you're trying to change the temp through are online.

Reading through this review it looks like the only thing you'd need to pay for if you wanted it is their automated temp controls that turn up/down the temp depending on your presence in the home. You can do that with a few automations in homekit so I don't really see the value in that unless you REALLY value saving a half hour of your time in setting that up initially.

https://homekitnews.com/2019/09/30/tado-smart-ac-control-v3-review/

Cool. I have just seen in their compatibility guide that it's suitable for my brand of heating system, except when the existing thermostat controls the fan - which mine does. So I think my heating system may be too obscure for an easy smart retrofit. Might contact the installers for advice.

Thanks all for the HomeKit enlightenment anyway :)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

What was the name of that Photoshop alternative that's good and you only pay once? Might have started with an A?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

That's the one, thanks!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

My wife's loving her M1 Air, but she used to use this software called KnitBird on her old one, which I see is Adobe Air-based. I'm not totally sure what Adobe Air is (even after reading about it), but is she SOL on using this (abandoned) software on her new Mac?

https://knitbird.com/

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Maybe - there's mention of M1 support being worked on at https://airsdk.harman.com/

Try downloading the runtime from that site and see how you get on.

That worked. I swear I ended up on a Harman site before but there wasn't a handy download.

Thants!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I'm finding Music better than iTunes because now the search bar only searches Apple Music, and I can Cmd+F to search my library. Don't know if that was possible before, but it's easier than what I was doing (searching then choosing which thing you wanted to search).

Having to mouse-over the now playing area to see the elapsed and remaining times though - in space that is otherwise blank - is just silly.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

What's the deal with running a Big Sur VM in Big Sur on the M1s? One thing my 2014 MBP struggles with is running an OSX VM smoothly, so I'm wondering how well it works/is possible for when I eventually upgrade.

This is a surprisingly hard thing to Google, because it always assume you mean the host machine.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I think that was the cause of the bizarre phenomenon, many years ago, when my Mac stopped outputting system sounds (like the error ting or email send/receive sounds), but then when I plugged headphones in after a few weeks of not doing so, it would play back all the missing sounds, in order.

Ping
Ping
Woosh
Woosh
Woosh
Ping
Ping
etc...

Very weird!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Is there any limitation on macos versions for screen sharing? I'll be wanting to use a High Sierra machine as client, and a Mini with unknown but probably not older than High Sierra as the host.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

japtor posted:

I feel like it should work, based on using it forever with different versions over the years (along with third party iOS apps). I think the only hiccups I've ever run into (if I'm even remembering right) are when they tweaked/moved the setting for it in the first place.

Yeah that was my thinking too. I was able to test it with my own Catalina MBP as client yesterday (the host Mini is also on Catalina), so we'll see tomorrow whether the High Sierra machine works.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Semi-related to the above, what's the best way to back up the data on two household Macbooks to my Synology NAS? I have Time Machine working but am worried about horror stories... I remember having problems last time I tried, but I can't remember if it was recycle bin related, or the more worrying "whoops, all corrupted! Start again" problem.

I had a quick play with the Synology drive, seemed ok, not the most intuitive to set up. But it's not clear to me how it works when the quota gets full - does it start deleting old versions, like Time Machine? Or does it yell at you and stop backing up until you manually make space?

Is CCC worth a look too?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Cross-posting from the iPad thread:

My Sidecar just broke. M1P MacBook Pro and 12.9" iPad Pro, I've been working on it all day with a wired USB-C connection, came back to my hotel, carried on working, and suddenly the iPad said "will resume when connection is better" or something, and I haven't been able to get it back since.

Googling just gives a bunch of "try it over a wired connection" answers... the only difference is that in the hotel I'm on a VPN (during the day I had no wifi). But it worked for a few hours like that, then suddenly stopped. I've rebooted multiple times and turned off network connections. The MBP sees and trusts the iPad just fine. After the last reboot it's started saying "no network connection, why not try it wired?".

Very annoying, I need two screens to just work! Any ideas?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Newb here, how do I get Transmission to install as an actual application? I did the drag .dmg file to Applications but just seem to have a temporary app installed in a folder. I have a Transmission…drive? on my desktop. It doesn’t actually appear in Applications.

Open the Trasmission "drive" (this is the open .dmg file), drag the Transmission application within into your applications folder. Eject and delete the .dmg file, and launch Transmission from Applications.

This is how (many) Mac apps work. The .dmg is a disk image, think of it like inserting a CD, but then just dragging the .exe onto your computer instead of running an installer.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

A couple years ago I started paying for 1Password (after using it for years when I bought it outright, I begrudgingly switched to the subscription model to get the latest updates), and it's been totally worth it.

Sorry I can't help with your question, but what features do you appreciate in the subscription version? I'm still using the bought-outright one synced over Dropbox as I have been for years. Curious if there are things I'm missing out on.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

My M1P MBP keeps doing this

No idea if I needed to censor that... but it pops up a dozen boxes like this, one after the other, with random hex strings in them. It was happening when I switched user accounts, now it's started happening for no apparent reason. A reboot makes it stop for a week+

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

I just got a new MBP and I remember from my 2008 MBP that I could use a three finger swipe motion up to go to the top of the page in the browser. Is this not possible anymore and if so, is there an app I can download that would provide this functionality?

This should be possible natively (I'm doing it right now), I think I had to turn off 3-finger upswipe being something else in System Settings > Track Pad > More Gestures