Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is there a good guide to permissions and terminal commands for changing them?

I helped a friend swap a near-dead HD from her laptop and found that the "dead" drive would mount when placed in a USB enclosure. I was able to grab all the important files off the drive and tossed them in the shared directory of my storage. (A WD My Book Live)

Now, when I try to copy the files over to a portable drive for her, I get errors that I don't have permissions to copy those files. I've no experience with that weirdness, only ever run into write permissions before. And using the permissions pane of the Get Info window gives the same error.

I've googled around and seen some info, but it's terminal stuff which I know exactly zero about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Bob Morales posted:

Apple has a guide on permissions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963

Thank you.
That wasn't, as it turns out, what the problem was! Hah, but that gave me the right terms to start googling and I found (I think) a solution.

Turns out it was an issue with the My Book Live. Copied the files over logged in as guest, which set the owner as "Nobody". Had to learn how to ssh into the drive and chmod the directory in question. We'll see if it worked, it's doing that whole "preparing to copy files" thing.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

kapalama posted:

I cannot believe this guy does not back up his computer though. WTF? The article is surprisingly well-written for a complete idiot. How the gently caress does someone who does not even consider that hard drives fail all the drat time manage to string sentences together?

This fellow was on Sunday's "The Week in Tech" podcast to tell this story. He said that his desktop was backed up regularly, and it was just the laptop that he'd gotten lazy with. Object lesson, right? Can't afford to get lazy with anything these days. Dude didn't sound pompous on the podcast tho, he just sounded tired.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I finally fired up the new photos app earlier this week and got it provisioned with adequate iCloud storage for my photos.

However it seems to have stalled on the upload. It's been saying 5,764 photos left to upload for about 3 days now.

Anyone else experiencing stalled uploads? Any ideas on a solution?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is your network still showing activity? When I uploaded my library the X photos left was all over the loving place. Took like a whole week for around 10k photos and s few hundred videos.

Nope. It was fully stalled. But! The Genius I spoke to suggested pausing the upload, signing out of iCloud, rebooting, sign back in, unpause.

That did it. Next morning everything was up and showing on all my other devices. Very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Small White Dragon posted:

Any recommendations on good animation software on macOS?

I don't mind paying for software but I hate Adobe's subscriptions.

Blender is free, works well on macOS and will do 3D and 2D animation. Clip Studio Paint has tools for hand drawn animation. OpenToonz is free, but buggy and not compiled for Apple silicon. Krita is free, and I think it will do 2D animation.

Everything else I can think of is subscription based, and expensive.

If you’ve got an iPad, RoughAnimator and Procreate Dreams are both decent.