Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hotsauce posted:

Is this worth the asking price at this point in Early 2024? It's brand new, so that's nice. Sees to be a super good deal for someone like me, who isn't transcoding Hollywood films on his computer. I just want a solid Mac/solid deal to last me the next 6-7 yrs or so.

This it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386872420875?epid=3057321076&itmmeta=01HTTPZEQDAZ3KW69DR8C194JR&hash=item5a1364aa0b:g:SG4AAOSw3Udl-xJk

Holy poo poo. Yeah that’s a good deal. But it up before it’s gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I dunno model years and when certain things change so I don’t know if it’s exclusive to this model but the M3 MBP keyboard is probably the best laptop keyboard I’ve ever used. It’s just really satisfying, something I didn’t think I’d ever say about a laptop keyboard.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Holy poo poo. Yeah that’s a good deal. But it up before it’s gone.
Done. Pretty excited about it, really. Can't wait to have a cookie sheet size trackpad :newlol:

Edit: it arrived a few days ago. It is amazing! Looks to be a corporate leftover (was brand new, sealed). The warranty is an Apple Care Enterprise and is valid thru June 17, 2025...so 14 months of warranty. Anyone know if I am safe leaning on this warranty or should I call Apple and have them reset it to the normal 1-year warranty? The seller sold like 180 of them, so I imagine I wouldn't be the only one with this question. I just want to make sure I'm not screwed if something goes wrong and Apple is all "uh, so yeah, you aren't supposed to have this so it's not covered." I don't really care about Apple Care + since I don't break my poo poo, but I do want at least a warranty in case it shits the bed or something. Also, is this enterprise coverage..accidental damage? That would be a welcome surprise if so.

Thoughts?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 14, 2024

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I doubt Apple would remove an AppleCare coverage that was already bought and paid for.

However I think they'd be willing, if you discuss it at the store with them, to extend the coverage for normal retail price.

AppleCare does tend to give you a built in break on repairs past the warranty, ie result in Apple charging flat fees rather than individual parts being piled high into a list.

It's good to hear that Apple is moving on to the M4, but I worry that they may stop giving a poo poo about GPU upgrades and decide to start devoting more die space to the AI cores for no good reason.

I've heard the M2/M3 and up will support nested virtualization much better than original M1/Pro so that's a plus for emulation but I don't really hear about anything taking advantage of this feature.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 15, 2024

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

AppleCare for Enterprise is tied to the company, not the machine. It’s not transferable to a third party. Depending on when that machine was originally bought it might be out of the warranty period. They might sell you AppleCare+ but not sure on how that works with resells.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Hmm, two different answers. Guess I'll reach out to Apple and see what they say.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tell them we said hello.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
tell them the pig balls website sends its regards

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Finally got the spare thunderbolt display sitting at work shipped to me, it's definitely dimmer than my LG Ultrafine 4K and the display is so glossy in comparison but it's nice having two screens again. I just wonder if my 2018 Mini is struggling to drive a 4k and 1440p screen at the same time on top of my regular workload. I wish apple would hurry up and refresh the studio so I can buy one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Buying an M1 MacBook Pro from a friend who got it gifted from their former employer. If he does a ‘erase all content and settings’ and it goes through fine that means there’s not secret former employer lock on it right? Not sure how the latest macs (hidden?) corpo security works and how to check for it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Shaocaholica posted:

Buying an M1 MacBook Pro from a friend who got it gifted from their former employer. If he does a ‘erase all content and settings’ and it goes through fine that means there’s not secret former employer lock on it right? Not sure how the latest macs (hidden?) corpo security works and how to check for it.

After wiping it, it’ll download the MDM (if there is one) as soon as it connects to the internet.

However, it’s pretty trivial to bypass an MDM certificate if there is no lock on recovery mode.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait you can bypass iCloud lock just by erasing the Mac in recovery mode? Isn’t the whole point of iCloud lock to prevent this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhj2zMFNshw

Edit: oh this only works if ‘find my’ isn’t enabled right?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 19, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait you can bypass iCloud lock just by erasing the Mac in recovery mode? Isn’t the whole point of iCloud lock to prevent this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhj2zMFNshw

mdm provisioning (enterprise management), not icloud lock. you can’t really get past the latter without a password or showing apple a receipt

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do you check if a Mac has mdm enabled?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

How do you check if a Mac has mdm enabled?

ask, or wait for it to show up and look

i mean there’s a more than good chance it’s fine since it was from a former employer and presumably works ok

it’s a friend right? this should be easy to handle in either outcome

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Long distance trusted goon. I’d rather they take care of it before sending to me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Long distance trusted goon. I’d rather they take care of it before sending to me

either way i’d expect it to be obvious

just have them reinstall the os or whatever if you want to be super sure. there are some steps you can take to check but that one seems the most complete

anyway here’s a good reddit post about it

https://old.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/10v8btl/how_to_know_if_your_mac_has_mdm_profile_installed/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mediaphage posted:

either way i’d expect it to be obvious

just have them reinstall the os or whatever if you want to be super sure. there are some steps you can take to check but that one seems the most complete

anyway here’s a good reddit post about it

https://old.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/10v8btl/how_to_know_if_your_mac_has_mdm_profile_installed/

Thanks for this. So by my count there are these 3 ‘locks’:

1)iCloud ‘find my’ enabled lock. Not sure exactly what all this prevents you from doing.
2)EFI password. Restricts changing the boot drive from the current one such as reinstalling macOS from usb or entering recovery mode
3)MDM (mobile device management) - restrictions vary

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks for this. So by my count there are these 3 ‘locks’:

1)iCloud ‘find my’ enabled lock. Not sure exactly what all this prevents you from doing.
2)EFI password. Restricts changing the boot drive from the current one such as reinstalling macOS from usb or entering recovery mode
3)MDM (mobile device management) - restrictions vary

There's no such thing as EFI (and therefore, no EFI password) on Apple Silicon Macs.

iCloud "Find My" activation lock requires authentication with iCloud account credentials before anyone can turn Find My off for that device, erase it, or reactivate it. "Find My" also enables you to remote wipe the device even if you don't know where it is.

Apple publishes a big PDF with more information than you probably require on all this, the Apple Platform Security Guide.

https://help.apple.com/pdf/security/en_US/apple-platform-security-guide.pdf

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BobHoward posted:

There's no such thing as EFI (and therefore, no EFI password) on Apple Silicon Macs.

Hmm Apple docs say for Apple silicon Macs the equivalent protection is FileVault.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of FileVault, does anyone here not have it enabled on their desktop machine? I have it running, but it’s a serious pain in the rear end as my machine is mostly run headless and nothing on the network can connect to it until it’s logged in which, yes makes sense for the security but can be a real headache when poo poo reboots.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
So a Macbook (13" Pro M1) that only charges when shut down and has sticky keys means it has had some sort of spill damage in the past is just useless brick and should be recycled, right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

uh it sounds like it mostly works so i’d say no.

if you aren’t comfortable taking it apart and cleaning it, take it to a repair shop to do it or give it to someone willing to put in the work

it sounds like recycling it would be a waste

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I’d just put it on eBay with full disclosure of the issues :shrug:. At minimum I’ll bet a repair shop could get some parts from it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

or send it to me, ill gladly pay shipping lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
give it to mediaphage

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Bought my first Apple silicon Mac. I kinda needed a 16in MBP just for the screen. Trying to limp it until m4/m5 to get a better spec machine.

Not sure if this was truly worth it but money went to a goon so there’s that.

$1100
M1 Pro
16in
16gb
1Tb

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s a good deal. It’s a good machine

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Bought my first Apple silicon Mac. I kinda needed a 16in MBP just for the screen. Trying to limp it until m4/m5 to get a better spec machine.

Not sure if this was truly worth it but money went to a goon so there’s that.

$1100
M1 Pro
16in
16gb
1Tb

that’s the same machine i have. it’s still rock solid for anything i throw at it, i think you’ll be happy with it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The M1 is a soldier of a generation. I have a M1P 14book and I've yet to see it sweat.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wouldn’t be surprised if the average M1 MacBook had a lifespan of 10 years for most users. They’re great machines.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So looking back on Intel Macs, Apple dropped macOS support due to 3rd party cpu/gpu changes. So does now that almost everything is in house now does that mean macOS support for Apple Silicon Macs is going to be way longer than Intel Macs? Or will it be more like iPhone iOS longevity?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

E: misread the post nvm

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shaocaholica posted:

So looking back on Intel Macs, Apple dropped macOS support due to 3rd party cpu/gpu changes. So does now that almost everything is in house now does that mean macOS support for Apple Silicon Macs is going to be way longer than Intel Macs? Or will it be more like iPhone iOS longevity?

there's literally no way to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Fedule posted:

The M1 is a soldier of a generation. I have a M1P 14book and I've yet to see it sweat.

This is also where I'm at in a way. I don't know anyone who is genuinely feeling.. the limits of the M-series chips. It's insane