Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

teagone posted:

Appreciate the deep dive on resolution scaling! I was kind of aware of how it worked, and figured the M1 Ultra in the Mac Studio I've been given won't have any performance issues in other applications (namely Premiere/After Effects) when upscaling/downscaling the display resolution ouput. I also read that apparently macOS changed how its font rendering works in recent version changes, so QHD resolution doesn't look nearly as good anymore (though I'm guessing everything I've read on that matter is purely subjective). But yeah, in addition to creative work, I'll be doing a bit of administrative stuff working in Excel and doing a fair bit of copywriting/copyediting, so text looking sharp and crisp would be nice.

That LG looks like a good candidate yeah. Not a fan of gamer-y stand, but the office does have a few VESA desk clamps I can use.

If it helps, I do a lot of Excel work and report writing on mine and it hasn’t bothered me.

And yeah, the LG stands being gamer-isk isn’t great, but once you’ve had it awhile it doesn’t even register as really a gamer-oriented stand in my opinion, at least not the two legs that stick out. Just peel off the gsync sticker!

smr posted:

I had a Studio Display before I got this G3223Q and yeah I can tell the diff in “crispness” or whatnot in the display rendering but honestly for my eyesight 4k res on the 4k monitor with 144hz is a much more pleasant experience than 5K 60hz was.

Yeah, I think if someone goes from an actual Apple Retina display to a 4K monitor, it’s noticeable. I’m not sure how much of that thought is also Apple’s extensive use of glossy panels by default though.

And since macOS supports AdaptiveSync, 100% agree - it’s really hard to beat high refresh 4K, scaled or not, in macOS when using an Apple desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
After 16 years of using a Macbook Air/Pro for work, the Wal Mart $699 deal finally convinced me to buy a Mac for myself... Guess I just couldn't bear to spend over $1k on a laptop.

I love the gold color and the performance on this thing :). And now I don't have to worry about the corporate content filters, firewall, or getting fired for doing personal stuff on this thing. Feels good man.

I will say Apple continues to be poo poo at cloud stuff. My Apple ID from iPhone/iPad past got memory holed and is completely unable to be revived.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 19, 2024

drwiii
Aug 23, 2005

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.
I'll stay with the 2009 Macbook pro that broke the company. Linux is doing way better than what the corporate slaves have tried to do to the MacOS and Windows to get people to buy more worth points.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

smr posted:

I’d be happy to check, but if you could tell me how I check for this, I’d be obliged. Doesn’t seem to be something under the default display options.

I don't think you can check in the OS itself. For Dell panels, I believe you can see if it's operating in RGB or YCbCr in the monitor's OSD under "color" or "color settings" and it'll be listed under color input format.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

drwiii posted:

I'll stay with the 2009 Macbook pro that broke the company. Linux is doing way better than what the corporate slaves have tried to do to the MacOS and Windows to get people to buy more worth points.

ok

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Does Linux have working sleep yet?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

drwiii posted:

:thumbsup:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I would like to know what company got broken by the 2009 MBP, and how

Actually, probably I wouldn't

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
M3 macbook air came in. Twice as nice and smooth as silk

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BobHoward posted:

I would like to know what company got broken by the 2009 MBP, and how

Actually, probably I wouldn't

I think it was the 2008 and 2010 models that had the failing graphics cards, but I'm not aware of any major issues with the 2009 units. Neither of the models with gpu problems "broke the company" though if that's referring to Apple.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

teagone posted:

I don't think you can check in the OS itself. For Dell panels, I believe you can see if it's operating in RGB or YCbCr in the monitor's OSD under "color" or "color settings" and it'll be listed under color input format.

A-ha. Mine says “Input Color Format = RGB” at the moment. I’ve never faffed about with it, thought the colors looked dead on on first power up and have just left the defaults alone other than boosting brightness (I get a lot of sun in the home office here).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

smr posted:

A-ha. Mine says “Input Color Format = RGB” at the moment. I’ve never faffed about with it, thought the colors looked dead on on first power up and have just left the defaults alone other than boosting brightness (I get a lot of sun in the home office here).

Huh, interesting.

Canned Sunshine posted:

For some reason I thought that using a reliable brand USB-C to DisplayPort cable alleviated that issue under Sonoma (and possibly Ventura before it).

Maybe this is the case?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Branch Nvidian posted:

Anticipating the deluge of low-subscriber youtube tech channels uploading "I BOUGHT A MACBOOK.... FOR GAMING?!?!?!!?!?!" videos featuring these units, only to result in the usual "it didn't go as planned!" conclusions.

I’m assuming this channel already exists but it would be a pretty good gimmick and would probably get tons of views. Just buy every cheap laptop in existence and say how much it sucks for gaming

frogbs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 19, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
the new macbook pros are literally the best macbooks yet made, and i owned the previous pinnacle, the early 2015 models

god. apple ftw

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Radia posted:

the new macbook pros are literally the best macbooks yet made, and i owned the previous pinnacle, the early 2015 models

god. apple ftw

Honestly kind of thinking about buying a late-2007 2.2GHz MacBook in black polycarbonate so I can have another version of my first Mac again. idk where it ranks on the tier list of best macbooks, but I loved the one I had.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i miss the 12" macbooks - a contemporary version with apple silicon would be great

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shrike82 posted:

i miss the 12" macbooks - a contemporary version with apple silicon would be great

honestly surprised they didn’t but maybe they don’t think it’s worth the likely minimal sales

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Honestly kind of thinking about buying a late-2007 2.2GHz MacBook in black polycarbonate so I can have another version of my first Mac again. idk where it ranks on the tier list of best macbooks, but I loved the one I had.

I still have mine from undergrad and it has the cracked palm rests and I had so many opportunities between like 2009 and 2013 to get it fixed, first for free and then for like ~$150 and I never did and I always kinda regretted it

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

mediaphage posted:

honestly surprised they didn’t but maybe they don’t think it’s worth the likely minimal sales

They need to re-release the 12”, and simply add the text ‘MacBook Air’ under the bezel and it’ll sell in record numbers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’d take a macbook mini

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeast posted:

They need to re-release the 12”, and simply add the text ‘MacBook Air’ under the bezel and it’ll sell in record numbers.

Also reengineer the keyboard/chassis completely as well due to the 12” design using the butterfly mechanism

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

i’d take a macbook mini

MacOS iPad pro when, you cowards

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

MacOS iPad pro when, you cowards

never going to happennnnnn

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I used to think I wanted OS X on the iPad, but now I know that I don't even want an iPad, much less a whole-rear end computer operating system on an iPad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i love the ipads tbh but theyre just kinda their own thing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Once apple made the macbooks good again in 2021 I stopped trying to force my ipad into being a laptop replacement. It does well in its niche though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I still want iPadOS to be better tho and I want third party app stores like ten years ago

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

Once apple made the macbooks good again in 2021 I stopped trying to force my ipad into being a laptop replacement. It does well in its niche though

I don't want a laptop replacement, i just want the good version of Safari with a proper file system, and torrent/emulator support, but witha touch interface and only 1lb. in weight.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
it's astonishing how clunky multitasking/windowing remains in iPadOS

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
iPad is just a couch browser/game player/media viewer. And it’s really loving good at that. If you’re trying to use it for something other than that that’s on you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

iPad is just a couch browser/game player/media viewer. And it’s really loving good at that. If you’re trying to use it for something other than that that’s on you.

nah

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What's a computer?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m a computer

Stop all the downloading

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

American McGay posted:

Then maybe Apple should stop marketing it as a laptop replacement. Trying to use an iPad like a laptop is extremely frustrating and I'd rather just use a MacBook instead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

American McGay posted:

Rather than have a multi monitor setup these days I have an ultra wide and an older iPad Pro plugged in underneath it for whatever else I want to mess around with and it rules so much.

It’s like 7 years old and sure while I never do anything pro on it, it sure as hell doesn’t feel like a device that old. Everything I do still runs so smoothly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple had a choice between “enable the iPad to reach its full potential and risk making less money in the short term but possibly more/more stable money in the long term” and “make the iPad hobbled and awkward but shore up short-term platform control and earnings” and they chose the latter, which I don’t entirely blame them for as a business but it sure does suck as an end-user.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Splinter posted:

What's a computer?

Cyberdyne Systems Model-101

It's a :airquote: "Neutral Net" processor; a "Learning Computer".

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

trilobite terror posted:

I’m a computer

Stop all the downloading

help computer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

Apple had a choice between “enable the iPad to reach its full potential and risk making less money in the short term but possibly more/more stable money in the long term” and “make the iPad hobbled and awkward but shore up short-term platform control and earnings” and they chose the latter, which I don’t entirely blame them for as a business but it sure does suck as an end-user.

i think it’s a huge assumption to say that well ipad with macos would sell even better. i think a few loud hardcore users want it and nobody else cares, like with the iphone mini. if you think the ipad is awkward now…i think it would be more awkward actually running macos

anyway i also think it’s telling that this admittedly mac-focused thread is incapable of considering what other people might use a tablet for other than media consumption.

i think the ipads are really good internet-connected media devices, of course. but theyre also great for sketching with the stylus, giving a presentation, doing photo editing, writing, remoting in to check on other stuff, zoom, etc

Branch Nvidian posted:

Then maybe Apple should stop marketing it as a laptop replacement. Trying to use an iPad like a laptop is extremely frustrating and I'd rather just use a MacBook instead.

a lot would, but a lot would also do fine with it. if you’re not an office type, or even if you are but in something like sales or an exec the ipad is about all the computer you need.

like great it’s not the computer for you but that doesn’t mean it’s completely impossible to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i think it’s a huge assumption to say that well ipad with macos would sell even better. i think a few loud hardcore users want it and nobody else cares, like with the iphone mini. if you think the ipad is awkward now…i think it would be more awkward actually running macos

anyway i also think it’s telling that this admittedly mac-focused thread is incapable of considering what other people might use a tablet for other than media consumption.

i think the ipads are really good internet-connected media devices, of course. but theyre also great for sketching with the stylus, giving a presentation, doing photo editing, writing, remoting in to check on other stuff, zoom, etc

a lot would, but a lot would also do fine with it. if you’re not an office type, or even if you are but in something like sales or an exec the ipad is about all the computer you need.

like great it’s not the computer for you but that doesn’t mean it’s completely impossible to use

lol where did I ever say that I wanted the iPad to run MacOS? The one concrete thing I mentioned was third party app distribution, but even then I wouldn’t imagine it happening through a MacOS-like operating system

anyway I also think it’s telling that you assumed that I’m “incapable of considering what other people might use a tablet for other than media consumption” when I literally use my Mac chip-powered iPad “Pro” every day for work and also for hobby purposes, largely for creative tasks. I have spent probably over four hundred dollars on music apps since 2011, I use stuff like Procreate and Photoshop regularly, and I’ve even paid to use Final Cut and Logic on it

It’s much better than it used to be but the underlying experience is still clunky and awkward and limited as hell and it’s 100% because of fundamental business philosophy choices that Apple made and continues to make. If you want to use an iPad as a work tool you are still constantly running into poo poo that forces you to go “oh wait no, this is an iOS device. I have to do it like this instead”