Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
there’s literally a post above you wanting that thing. this is a conversation with multiple people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just wish MacOS would get touchscreen support and MBA would ship with touchscreen hardware so that I could get my mom one.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

a lot would, but a lot would also do fine with it. if you’re not an office type, or even if you are but in something like sales or an exec the ipad is about all the computer you need.

like great it’s not the computer for you but that doesn’t mean it’s completely impossible to use

For sure. My dad uses the hell out of his iPad Pro for all kinds of stuff, to the point that he tends to forget that he has a macbook he could be using for stuff. I know part of my frustration is decades of usage patterns designed around a "real" operating system, which is what makes the limitations of the iPad stick out to me so much when I'm just trying to do something that I feel is basic computer usage. I do find it somewhat misleading and/or ingenuous that Apple advertises the iPad as a laptop replacement generally though due to the limitations it has. The addition of the Files app and things like stage manager and having multiple apps on screen at the same time shows that it is getting closer to being a laptop replacement, but it's still not quite there yet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

For sure. My dad uses the hell out of his iPad Pro for all kinds of stuff, to the point that he tends to forget that he has a macbook he could be using for stuff. I know part of my frustration is decades of usage patterns designed around a "real" operating system, which is what makes the limitations of the iPad stick out to me so much when I'm just trying to do something that I feel is basic computer usage. I do find it somewhat misleading and/or ingenuous that Apple advertises the iPad as a laptop replacement generally though due to the limitations it has. The addition of the Files app and things like stage manager and having multiple apps on screen at the same time shows that it is getting closer to being a laptop replacement, but it's still not quite there yet.

sure i super feel you about overcoming decades of usage patterns - i wouldn’t want to go without a more traditional computer at this point in time

but i’m not sure that apples marketing of the ipad is all that deceitful; by your own post it seems like it works fine for your dad lol. i think outside of some specific use cases (like programming (lol at the ipad pro not having xcode); while you can remote in that feels like cheating) the ipad is more than enough computer for probably 90% of people

i bet people raised with ios and ipados (and aren’t pc gamers) couldn’t give a fig

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kibner posted:

I just wish MacOS would get touchscreen support and MBA would ship with touchscreen hardware so that I could get my mom one.

Honestly I go back and forth on this, because on one hand, yeah, it could be really nice, but at the same time, I don't want it to impact macOS in terms of standard or "normal" desktop usage with the keyboard and mouse.

As it is, where they've tried to implement iOS-like usability features into macOS, has generally really sucked (such as the Settings window in Ventura and Sonoma; for fucks sake Apple, it was fine as it was).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Honestly I go back and forth on this, because on one hand, yeah, it could be really nice, but at the same time, I don't want it to impact macOS in terms of standard or "normal" desktop usage with the keyboard and mouse.

As it is, where they've tried to implement iOS-like usability features into macOS, has generally really sucked (such as the Settings window in Ventura and Sonoma; for fucks sake Apple, it was fine as it was).

I really am not a fan of the new settings menu, especially with how some things got shuffled around under new headings. That said, I do like that Apple ID/iCloud account stuff is in a better location. The thing I felt was a somewhat worthless addition to macOS was Launch Pad. I open everything either from hitting cmd+space and using spotlight or through an Applications folder in my dock. I'm assuming Launch Pad is for people coming from iOS/iPadOS devices to give them a familiar paradigm for opening apps, but I really just do not like it and wish iOS/iPadOS's design conventions would stay on iOS/iPadOS unless there is something that they come up with that has no existing analogue on the desktop.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

I really am not a fan of the new settings menu, especially with how some things got shuffled around under new headings. That said, I do like that Apple ID/iCloud account stuff is in a better location. The thing I felt was a somewhat worthless addition to macOS was Launch Pad. I open everything either from hitting cmd+space and using spotlight or through an Applications folder in my dock. I'm assuming Launch Pad is for people coming from iOS/iPadOS devices to give them a familiar paradigm for opening apps, but I really just do not like it and wish iOS/iPadOS's design conventions would stay on iOS/iPadOS unless there is something that they come up with that has no existing analogue on the desktop.

You know you can just remove launchpad from your dock and then never see/think about it again right

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Which I have done. I just think it was a generally wasted effort bringing it over to macOS in the first place.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
Lot of the younger folk at work seem to use Launchpad, for whatever that's worth.

A number of them also seem to actually like and use stage manager.

Downfall of society, I reckon.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just want LLM’s to run really well on lower end Mac’s so I don’t have to buy a top
Of the line Mac Studio.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
do people here use their ipad with steam link? is it good. i have great internet but my ipad will be on wifi (obviously) so that seems bad?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If the machine running the game is connected to the internet via Ethernet the experience is pretty good. Mileage may vary of course if there’s interference, if the router and/or iPad support wifi 6 etc

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Last Chance posted:

If the machine running the game is connected to the internet via Ethernet the experience is pretty good. Mileage may vary of course if there’s interference, if the router and/or iPad support wifi 6 etc

no clue on my router but yeah my host machine(s) are both on Ethernet so I'll give it a shot. I think I'd just do it for Stardew or w/e (I own it on iOS too but sometimes u gotta do MP)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Radia posted:

do people here use their ipad with steam link? is it good. i have great internet but my ipad will be on wifi (obviously) so that seems bad?

Why would you use Steam Link if you've got a computer for gaming that's running Steam to link to?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gaming on a computer is fail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Why would you use Steam Link if you've got a computer for gaming that's running Steam to link to?

Typically it's because your gaming computer is a desktop and you want to play the game in a location other than where it is. Like, playing in the living room because there's a big screen there or from the back porch because the weather is nice.

You could even use it to play a game from a virtual machine which has a passed-through GPU and no actual monitor attached, though there are a couple extra steps to make that work well.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Typically it's because your gaming computer is a desktop and you want to play the game in a location other than where it is. Like, playing in the living room because there's a big screen there or from the back porch because the weather is nice.

You could even use it to play a game from a virtual machine which has a passed-through GPU and no actual monitor attached, though there are a couple extra steps to make that work well.

Sounds suspect. If the weather is nice I would just enjoy the weather instead of loving around with some lovely video game, OP.

There are probably some birds out there you could watch, maybe some squirrels you could feed. You could ride your bike.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm sorry, are you making some kind of joke here? I thought you were asking an actual question so I gave you some hypotheticals, I'm not the person who has the Steam Link.

I do actually feed the birds and squirrels in my yard, but I'm not really sure the process works like you envision it. There are feeders which you fill up with seeds, and then when you leave the animals come to eat. Watching them eat (through a window, from your desk even) is actually quite compatible with playing video games at the same time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I used Steam Link when I was injured since I couldn’t sit at a computer but could paw at an iPad. Theres a lot of situations it can come in handy

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm sorry, are you making some kind of joke here? I thought you were asking an actual question so I gave you some hypotheticals, I'm not the person who has the Steam Link.

I do actually feed the birds and squirrels in my yard, but I'm not really sure the process works like you envision it. There are feeders which you fill up with seeds, and then when you leave the animals come to eat. Watching them eat (through a window, from your desk even) is actually quite compatible with playing video games at the same time.

Sounds like American birds are just unfriendly. In Australia you can very rapidly make friends with your local birds to the point where they’ll take food from your hand. My dad can go out into the yard, give a little whistle, and have a few fly right over to say hello.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

sometimes i enjoy playing video games while sitting or laying with my wife. hosed up i know

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

Sounds like American birds are just unfriendly. In Australia you can very rapidly make friends with your local birds to the point where they’ll take food from your hand. My dad can go out into the yard, give a little whistle, and have a few fly right over to say hello.

we don’t have magpies and cockatoos everywhere

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

trilobite terror posted:

we don’t have magpies and cockatoos everywhere

Sad.

Kookaburras are also real friendly when you get to know them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I have bald eagles and redtails in my yard so it’s not all bad

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Lot of crows by me and they seem pretty friendly. Very loud though

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Steam link on Apple TV whips for couch gaming

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

so my original thunderbolt 4 connector for my studio display broke (long story), and the random USB C cord I had on hand isn't ..connecting the Macbook to it?
The weird thing is both my phone and ipad connect without any problem, but the MacBook just charges.

I grabbed my work computer and gave that a shot, and it also just charges.
Anyone know better here before I try with a new TB4 connector?

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
The M3 air came in. 16 cores and a terabyte to beat the band. This thing is in beastmode. M1 16 inch pro relegated to desk duty while this little number is on the go

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Radia posted:

so my original thunderbolt 4 connector for my studio display broke (long story), and the random USB C cord I had on hand isn't ..connecting the Macbook to it?
The weird thing is both my phone and ipad connect without any problem, but the MacBook just charges.

I grabbed my work computer and gave that a shot, and it also just charges.
Anyone know better here before I try with a new TB4 connector?

TB4 cables are USB4 cables, but USB4 cables aren't TB4 cables. Also, if it's just a random USB-C cable it might be USB 3-something and not USB4 (yes, the spaces are different).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
hate to say it but you're often best off grabbing a thunderbolt/etc cable from Apple for mission-critical stuff like that if you're not interested in putting in the time and work to find a third party one that works and doesn't cost 'Apple cable' money or more

that's also what I've found with pack-in cables that came with various Dell displays, for example

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 23, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Maudib Arakkis posted:

The M3 air came in. 16 cores and a terabyte to beat the band. This thing is in beastmode. M1 16 inch pro relegated to desk duty while this little number is on the go

I’ve been meaning to ask, what’s the need for 2 laptops? Is one for work and the other for something else?

e: unless this was meant to be a replacement for the M1 and youll have it as backup now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
there's Clean Machine and the Smut Pigpen

gotta keep your grunchy stuff off of the work/family-facing computer

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

buglord posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask, what’s the need for 2 laptops? Is one for work and the other for something else?

e: unless this was meant to be a replacement for the M1 and youll have it as backup now.

I probably should have traded in the M1 tbqh.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Roadie posted:

TB4 cables are USB4 cables, but USB4 cables aren't TB4 cables. Also, if it's just a random USB-C cable it might be USB 3-something and not USB4 (yes, the spaces are different).

In other words...

Connector/port != Protocol/interface

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Using the 13 inch air with the IPad mini as a sidecar. Taking pleasure in small things much? you’re wife says much the same!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

oh sure i mis spoke, i know the USB cable I used was USB3, but I thought TB4 was mostly the same? the weird thing remains that the USB3 cable correctly worked with the studio display and my iphone/ipad

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

NewFatMike posted:

Steam link on Apple TV whips for couch gaming

Aside from my gaming PC being ancient at this point, my experience with Steam Link is pretty disappointing. With everything being wired, I still get stuff like compression artifacts in dark scenes and other, random drops in performance. What I really want is GeForce Now on Apple TV, but I don't see happening any time soon .

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Badly Jester posted:

Aside from my gaming PC being ancient at this point, my experience with Steam Link is pretty disappointing. With everything being wired, I still get stuff like compression artifacts in dark scenes and other, random drops in performance. What I really want is GeForce Now on Apple TV, but I don't see happening any time soon .

Look up Sunshine and Moonlight. It gives better results than Steam Link but does require more effort in setup.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This isn't a Mac thing per se, but I figure someone here might have some insight. I'm visiting some family and they appear to have a cursed wall outlet. The trackpad on my mac is flakey when charging off of it on multiple cords and chargers and my Windows laptop's trackpad straight up stops working. My BiL confirms that he has similar issues on his MBP but had attributed it to age.

So that's fuckey wiring but does anyone suspect as to the nature of the fuckey-ness? Bad grounding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Warbird posted:

This isn't a Mac thing per se, but I figure someone here might have some insight. I'm visiting some family and they appear to have a cursed wall outlet. The trackpad on my mac is flakey when charging off of it on multiple cords and chargers and my Windows laptop's trackpad straight up stops working. My BiL confirms that he has similar issues on his MBP but had attributed it to age.

So that's fuckey wiring but does anyone suspect as to the nature of the fuckey-ness? Bad grounding?

i mean i’d be taking a multimeter to it

when you plug in your mac are you using a two- or three-prong plug? maybe this has changed but in my old condo the difference was very noticeable