Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

ndrake posted:

I'm a physician and it would be weird to bring a personal computer into exam rooms during clinic... And agreed that doesn't look ideal.

You carry around a clipboard or papers anyway, right? Why not get something similar to this here? I personally wouldn't find it weird for a doc to carry around a laptop, and even if you do, you could easily hide it that way. Google "storage clipboard" and you'll find more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm contemplating selling the 27" iMac and my 2 24" LED LCDs and getting 2 cinematic displays for the mbp what the gently caress is wrong with me :psypop:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SO would the new base 13" air be able to handle xcode? Cause gently caress if I don't want to return my 13" MBP

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Zwille posted:

You carry around a clipboard or papers anyway, right? Why not get something similar to this here? I personally wouldn't find it weird for a doc to carry around a laptop, and even if you do, you could easily hide it that way. Google "storage clipboard" and you'll find more options.

Thanks, not a bad idea. It's more that from a patient privacy perspective (HIPAA in the US), the hospital would worry I'm entering private patient information on my personal unsecured computer. The macbook is for research, and just needs to be safe for a few hours while I see patients (I've had cell phones stolen from work rooms before). I like the clipboard idea...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

SO would the new base 13" air be able to handle xcode? Cause gently caress if I don't want to return my 13" MBP

Easily, just don't be surprised if OSX starts swapping. 1440x900 is probably the lowest resolution I'd ever use XCode at.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What do you mean by "swapping"?

edit: also I plug the mbp into a monitor when I code. you're def right about the res being small.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 21, 2011

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

movax posted:

Easily, just don't be surprised if OSX starts swapping. 1440x900 is probably the lowest resolution I'd ever use XCode at.

But swapping on a SSD? Who gives a poop. That means something on a Scorpio Black maybe but in terms of a performance hit on a SSD it really doesn't matter.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

What do you mean by "swapping"?

Once you run out of physical RAM, the OS will start hitting the swapfile which is stored on your HDD/SSD. Less of an issue (hopefully) with a SSD versus a physical HDD.

You can open up Activity Monitor and look at the 'Page Out' statistic near the bottom. That number never goes above 0 for me unless I have a ton of apps running + VMWare (8GB RAM).

e: ^ yeah, I don't know how much swapping will matter on a SSD. Still slower than RAM, but hopefully not grossly so. I'll wait for a trip report from someone who buys one and kicks up a Win7 VM w/ 2GB + a "standard" workload of like Safari, Skim, maybe Word.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

You can open up Activity Monitor and look at the 'Page Out' statistic near the bottom. That number never goes above 0 for me unless I have a ton of apps running + VMWare (8GB RAM).

Really? I have 1.12gb swap stat right now and all I've been doing is browsing the internet (3 safari windows 13~ tabs 1 a khan academy flash video, which is probably the thing kicking crazy ram usage) I wish the MBA supported 8 gb of ram :(, I'm not even doing any hard work right now.

e: vv I have 4 gb, I couldn't deal with 2 and really think that purchasing the 11 with 2gb this year would be a mistake for most people.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 21, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Upping your Air to 4 gb is just something you should do. You can't upgrade it later unless you're really skilled with soldering and desoldering and don't mind a completely ruined warranty, and it does help, especially if you plan to keep it for a few years.

I'm not sure but doesn't the graphics used for the new airs also use some system ram for graphics? That's something to consider if you're thinking of getting your air with 2gb of ram.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KidDynamite posted:

We have developers on the 2010 13" Air that use Xcode as well as Ruby on Rails.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

fishmech posted:

I'm not sure but doesn't the graphics used for the new airs also use some system ram for graphics? That's something to consider if you're thinking of getting your air with 2gb of ram.

Since some unknown crippling condition prevents you from visiting the specs page, it's 256-384 MB on the low end model MBA and 384 MB shared memory on the high-end.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Binary Badger posted:

Since some unknown crippling condition prevents you from visiting the specs page, it's 256-384 MB on the low end model MBA and 384 MB shared memory on the high-end.

I'm on my phone and Apple's site was loading extremely slow. That's more RAM than I expected it to use though, so sticking with 2 gb looks like an even worse idea.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

I'm on my phone and Apple's site was loading extremely slow. That's more RAM than I expected it to use though, so sticking with 2 gb looks like an even worse idea.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the last thread, getting a new MBA with Lion and 2GB of RAM and immediately dropping to 1.7GB usable is the height of madness. I don't think Apple should have even offered a 2GB option knowing drat well that user experience will suck.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It think it exists just so people get pushed into buying the next model up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

2GB is fine, there are millions of C2D Macbooks out there. Are you programming or running VM's or other stuff that needs 4GB? If so, you probably didn't buy an 11" Air.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

movax posted:

Yeah, I mentioned that in the last thread, getting a new MBA with Lion and 2GB of RAM and immediately dropping to 1.7GB usable is the height of madness. I don't think Apple should have even offered a 2GB option knowing drat well that user experience will suck.

If all you need is a little portable machine to check email / surf / do simple office apps, it should be perfectly usable. I'd much rather write on something like that than an iPad.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

2GB is fine, there are millions of C2D Macbooks out there. Are you programming or running VM's or other stuff that needs 4GB? If so, you probably didn't buy an 11" Air.

I'm not sure if it's webkit 2 or a memory leak but Safari itself takes up 500-1gb if you've got some tabs up easily. Add in lots of people who don't use click-to-flash and I'm sure it can balloon up to 1.5gb super easily if you're on facebook/youtube/whatever else is popular.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bob Morales posted:

There are millions of those out there but would you buy one now? Not to mention that with a regular Macbook or Macbook Pro, if low ram becomes a problem you just put more in. It's nearly impossible to upgrade the RAM in an Air.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For someone who gets a new Air or Mini: what's the build number of Lion? Just curious if it's the GM or already a specialized build.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For someone who gets a new Air or Mini: what's the build number of Lion? Just curious if it's the GM or already a specialized build.

I have the new 11" MBA and my build number seems to be different than others.

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A2063)

I also received the Samsung SSD, but it appears that some people have gotten the toshiba SSD in there new MBAs.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

I have the new 11" MBA and my build number seems to be different than others.

I also received the Samsung SSD, but it appears that some people have gotten the toshiba SSD in there new MBAs.

I think the faster toshiba SSDs are only in the 13 inch ones, at least thats what the benchmarks made it look like.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Re: Locking MacBooks to tables because your hospital employs thieves:

Similar to that thing that goes through the hinge posted eariler, Griffin is selling this: http://store.griffintechnology.com/techsafe-cable-lock-system

I feel like kind of a shill even posting it, because I just got a press release about it, but it could be of interest. I'm pretty sure most of their stuff is crap, but hey.

edit: they say you can safely close the lid while it's in there, so that's good.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 21, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Drum combo locks like that are the easiest thing in the world to pick. I used to be able to do one in about 30 seconds.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Would the low end mini serve fine as an HTPC as long as I upgrade the RAM? I'm not interested in gaming so I don't know if I want to spend the extra money on a graphics card unless it would help play high def content via XBMC any better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Jackalope posted:

Would the low end mini serve fine as an HTPC as long as I upgrade the RAM? I'm not interested in gaming so I don't know if I want to spend the extra money on a graphics card unless it would help play high def content via XBMC any better.

Atom systems with Nividia ION gpus that don't perform better than what's in the new Mini handle almost all HTPC tasks just fine, the Mini should fly for HTPC tasks as long as you have enough RAM in.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fishmech posted:

Atom systems with Nividia ION gpus that don't perform better than what's in the new Mini handle almost all HTPC tasks just fine, the Mini should fly for HTPC tasks as long as you have enough RAM in.
Thanks. I'm at the apple store waiting to buy my new Air and since the company is buying it for me, I might as well pick up a mini since I have the money as well.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Rabid Snake posted:

Wonder if this is tied into that 'any new Mini or Air purchased can restore Lion over the internet' feature.

Has anyone tried Lion on a 2 GB Air yet? I'd highly consider one as it'd be a secondary computer for me, mostly for typing notes and documents on, but if it's a dog even at basic usage that'd be a bummer.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
I have a late 2006 Mac Pro that I'm trying to upgrade to a total of 6GB RAM with new 2x2GB sticks and the original 4x512MB sticks, but it's only seeing 5GB. The upper board has 2x2GB in slots 1&2 and 2x512MB in slots 3&4, and the lower board has 2x512MB in slots 1&2. It's not seeing the 512MB sticks on the lower board at all.

Any ideas?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Racist posted:

Wonder if this is tied into that 'any new Mini or Air purchased can restore Lion over the internet' feature.

Has anyone tried Lion on a 2 GB Air yet? I'd highly consider one as it'd be a secondary computer for me, mostly for typing notes and documents on, but if it's a dog even at basic usage that'd be a bummer.
I'm running Lion on my base 13" Air and it runs just fine. It did stutter a little the first time I used Versions but it hasn't since. The animations are all very, very smooth too.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

El Jackalope posted:

Thanks. I'm at the apple store waiting to buy my new Air and since the company is buying it for me, I might as well pick up a mini since I have the money as well.

New Minis are in store? I'm assuming just the 2.3 and 2.5 i5's, right?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Space Racist posted:

I'm running the base 11" air and lion runs just about as well as it did with snow leopard. I'd spend the extra $100 on the 4gb ram anyway if I was you...you're already plopping down a grand, might as well upgrade while you can.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
Now that I have an iPad, I want to replace my 15" MacBook Pro with one of those shiny new Minis and a big screen.

What's the going rate for:

15" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz (Mid 2009)
6GB Memory
GeForce 9400M (no GT)
320gb 7200rpm HDD
AppleCare until sometime next year
New style (right angle) power adaptor

Mac2Sell says $890, but that doesn't factor the AppleCare or the faster HDD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple has the previous model refurb 11" for $749

MacMall has the closeout 11" $879

http://www.macmall.com/n/Macbook-Air/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.221

Come on MacMall you can do better than that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bob Morales posted:

Apple has the previous model refurb 11" for $749

Hot drat. Hope those are still available come August/September.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They'll get more periodically. They sell refurb computers from 2009

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

New Minis are in store? I'm assuming just the 2.3 and 2.5 i5's, right?

I didn't ask about the i7's, sorry, but the i5s are definitely available.

Edit: I did a CCC update of my MBP's backup and am now using Migration Assistant to transfer much of my info from the backup to my new MBA. I'm happy it's working. :unsmith:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

El Jackalope posted:

According to the benchmarks at Notebookcheck.net, the Intel HD 3000 graphics chip is slower than the nVidia GeForce 320M it replaces from the previous model, but not by much, like 85% of the speed. Associates using the Mini 2010 models as media centers say it's just fine, soooo...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

According to the benchmarks at Notebookcheck.net, the Intel HD 3000 graphics chip is slower than the nVidia GeForce 320M it replaces from the previous model, but not by much, like 85% of the speed. Associates using the Mini 2010 models as media centers say it's just fine, soooo...

Guess I'll find out since I bought the Mini. :v:

Now to order more ram from newegg or someplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Holy crap Apple likes making people happy. I just exchanged my 3-week-old 13" Air (4GB/256GB/C2D) for the new one (4GB/256GB/i7) and got the $100 price difference back!

Faster processor? Thunderbolt? Backlit keyboard? Let us pay you for those. The only downside was a minor drop in graphics.

Glad that the "2 weeks" window was a little flexible.