Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

KidDynamite posted:

SO would the new base 13" air be able to handle xcode? Cause gently caress if I don't want to return my 13" MBP
I've been doing iOS development on a mid 2009 MacBook Pro (4 GB RAM/Core 2 Duo), and just ordered the 13" Air as an upgrade (hooray tax deduction!).

Considering the 13" Air has the same amount of RAM, a much faster CPU, and a SSD, I think it will do just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Are there any takeaparts out there of the new base model Mini? I'm curious whether it has the necessary bits for adding the second hard drive after the fact, or if it needs an additional sled or something.

I think my plan would be to get the base 500gb one, add a 100gb-ish SSD now, then eventually bump the 500gb drive up to a 1TB drive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

beefnoodle posted:

Holy crap Apple likes making people happy. I just exchanged my 3-week-old 13" Air (4GB/256GB/C2D) for the new one (4GB/256GB/i7) and got the $100 price difference back!

Faster processor? Thunderbolt? Backlit keyboard? Let us pay you for those. The only downside was a minor drop in graphics.

Glad that the "2 weeks" window was a little flexible.

Welp, it's only ancedotal evidence, but this should be remembered the next time there's a 'Apple gee-nee-yus told me i had to pay 500 bucks to replace the return key and they said i was a stupid head too' report..

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Has anyone ever used macconnection.com and know how reputable they are? They're selling the new Airs for $50 off, charge no tax in California, and offer free shipping.

It seems like the best deal around at the moment, but I've never shopped there before.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

qbert posted:

Has anyone ever used macconnection.com and know how reputable they are? They're selling the new Airs for $50 off, charge no tax in California, and offer free shipping.

It seems like the best deal around at the moment, but I've never shopped there before.

They're a division of PC Connection. They seem legit, but they only have a 3.5/10 review on reseller ratings

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/PC_Connection

EDIT: Google Product Search gives them 4.6/5 though
http://www.google.com/products/seller?zmi=pcconnection.com&sa=X&ei=RYUoTqLCGYT0tgPt9uyBCQ&ved=0CAUQwQY

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

qbert posted:

They've been around forever. They used to offer an inkjet printer, RAM upgrade, Connectix Ram Doubler, and other crap for the same price as Apple retail*

*all free after rebate.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Are there any takeaparts out there of the new base model Mini? I'm curious whether it has the necessary bits for adding the second hard drive after the fact, or if it needs an additional sled or something.

I don't even think the official tech docs for the new Minis/Airs are out yet.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Space Racist posted:

Wonder if this is tied into that 'any new Mini or Air purchased can restore Lion over the internet' feature.

I know it's not exactly the same thing as it's not built into the firmware, but if you boot into the recovery partition and tell it to do a clean install of Lion it'll ask you for your Apple ID and download a disk image. So, it's probably just drivers, since the functionality to restore over the internet exists in the GM build and there'd really be no reason to bump the OS build number for firmware functionality.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Anyone know any good external portable hard drives that can be used cross platform (PC and Mac)? I want to store Movies and the bulk of my Music on it for my Macbook Air. 500GB would be enough, portability is a must.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

Anyone know any good external portable hard drives that can be used cross platform (PC and Mac)? I want to store Movies and the bulk of my Music on it for my Macbook Air. 500GB would be enough, portability is a must.
All portable hard drives are cross platform. Compatibility just depends on how you format them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rabid Snake posted:

Look for USB drives that are powered off the cable. Very small, no need for a power brick.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dissss posted:

I thought you could use the Display port on iMacs as an input? Or is that not compatible with Thunderbolt?
(I think this was to a guy with an older iMac)
Yeah it should work since the new computer will just output a DP signal when hooked up to a DP display. You need TB if you're connecting to a TB iMac/display since those can't take DP as input apparently.

flyboi posted:

I'm contemplating selling the 27" iMac and my 2 24" LED LCDs and getting 2 cinematic displays for the mbp what the gently caress is wrong with me :psypop:
You have too much money and are sick of syncing things between the MBP and iMac? Is your MBP faster than the iMac at least?

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Now that I have an iPad, I want to replace my 15" MacBook Pro with one of those shiny new Minis and a big screen.

What's the going rate for:

15" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz (Mid 2009)
6GB Memory
GeForce 9400M (no GT)
320gb 7200rpm HDD
AppleCare until sometime next year
New style (right angle) power adaptor

Mac2Sell says $890, but that doesn't factor the AppleCare or the faster HDD.
I remember people saying they've gotten better prices than Mac2Sell...so I say shoot for the moon! I guess try $1000 and deal down from there. Or just check Craigslist to see what other ones are going for.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think my plan would be to get the base 500gb one, add a 100gb-ish SSD now, then eventually bump the 500gb drive up to a 1TB drive.
Some guy over on the MacRumors forum swapped his drive...doesn't sound good :(. He said it looked like you'd need some bracket for the other drive and a cable of some sort. I assume the pieces will pop up on the various repair sites, but still it'll be more than just taking it apart and popping the drive in.

And I assume it'll be a pain in the rear end like the 2010s too.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Sure enough...

quote:

I have just taken apart 2.5 Core i5 Mac mini, and it has a second custom SATA port (with the small zif connector) but no supplied cable/adaptor. The second hard drive stacks underneath the first and will require screws/cage to slot in.

There is no temperature sensor/connector with the base 500GB HD, but there is an empty zif socket underneath the fan, which I suspect may be for temp sensors on the server model.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rabid Snake posted:

I use a Western Digital "My Passport" external drive between my computers. It just uses a USB cable and takes power from the computers. I've been using a 320gig one for several years as well as a 500 gig one last year and both work fine.

Format the drive to FAT32 and you'll be able to read/write on both OSX and Windows. You won't be able to transfer single files over 4gigs though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I use a Western Digital "My Passport" external drive between my computers. It just uses a USB cable and takes power from the computers. I've been using a 320gig one for several years as well as a 500 gig one last year and both work fine.

Format the drive to FAT32 and you'll be able to read/write on both OSX and Windows. You won't be able to transfer single files over 4gigs though.
Use ExFAT instead unless you need to connect to something that doesn't support it. MS has drivers available for it all the way back to XP, and OS X has had support since one of the 10.6 updates.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mu Zeta posted:

On this point: I currently use a Seagate 1TB External HD. I wanted it to be compatible between my PC and my PS3 (and eventually my Mac) at full capacity so I formatted in FAT32. Little known fact is, you can format in FAT32 as one giant partition instead of x times 32GB. Here's how to do it on a PC but I don't know how easy it is to do on a Mac; should be possible though.

This may be an obvious tip to others here but I was intrigued when I learned it after running up against an uncooperative OS and pricey apps claiming to be the only way to do it. They warn it may result in slower performance but at least for streaming videos and music I've never had a noticeable lag so far at 66% capacity. From what I can tell the file size limit of 4GB still has no workaround though.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Re: Locking MacBooks to tables because your hospital employs thieves:

Similar to that thing that goes through the hinge posted eariler, Griffin is selling this: http://store.griffintechnology.com/techsafe-cable-lock-system

I feel like kind of a shill even posting it, because I just got a press release about it, but it could be of interest. I'm pretty sure most of their stuff is crap, but hey.

edit: they say you can safely close the lid while it's in there, so that's good.

Thanks, that actually looks like a nice solution. As to the easiness of picking - I just need a visual deterrent. The same people who would steal my cell phone and then sign me up for spanish hip hop ringtone subscription (which never failed to entertain when they were delivered a month later on my new phone) are not going to take the time to figure out how to pick that lock on a computer in a work room.

Also, for those interested in buying from someone that's not apple: I spoke with someone at Amazon who told me they are not expecting stock of the 13" 256 gb until 9/2. Yes, you can preorder an item that is available at the apple store now for delivery in 6 weeks from amazon. The triple points on my amazon card is not worth the wait.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Apple has the previous model refurb 11" for $749

They also have the 2010 13" for $999

Sucks for anyone trying to sell theirs, makes it only worth about 899.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Dilemma

I have an iPad 2 but want a new air. I can't really justify having both. Ive thought about selling my iPad but ive spent a bit on apps. Are you able to use apps in osx lion?

I just really don't see myself using an air and an iPad, though I don't have a personal computer of my own. I think the air would just replace everything the iPad does.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 22, 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Are you able to use apps in osx lion?
Not iOS apps; Mac OS X has it own (totally separate) App Store.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Will the Thunderbolt Display work with Mini DP? I have an early 2010 MBP and I'm overdue for a new monitor, but the Apple site says you need a Thunderbolt-enabled Mac.

Is that just for the chaining functions, or has my wallet dodged a gigantic bullet (at least until the next MBP refresh, at which point I am going to be so goddamn broke)?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

bloodysabbath posted:

Will the Thunderbolt Display work with Mini DP? I have an early 2010 MBP and I'm overdue for a new monitor, but the Apple site says you need a Thunderbolt-enabled Mac.

Is that just for the chaining functions, or has my wallet dodged a gigantic bullet (at least until the next MBP refresh, at which point I am going to be so goddamn broke)?

You could always just get the previous model, it's not like the existence of the newer one automatically turns the panel into a horrible jelly or something.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Not really a hardware question but since I'm using it to buy apple hardware, how is their financing? I'm thinking about using that to buy the new air since I don't want to put it on my credit card but would like to hear from others before I commit.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iFixit has their Mac mini teardown (2.3ghz model) done:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac-Mini-Mid-2011-Teardown/6131/1

Looks like the HDs in the dual models are probably just stacked in the same spot so it should be easy to get to now, rather than having to take the whole thing apart to get to the optical drive area like before. Definitely need a connector as the guy before said, but looking at the part for the included drive I'm guessing it won't be too expensive of a part. Otherwise it looks like you'll need some bracket piece to hold the drive in place.

Overall a bit annoying but better than I had feared.

Scienter posted:

On this point: I currently use a Seagate 1TB External HD. I wanted it to be compatible between my PC and my PS3 (and eventually my Mac) at full capacity so I formatted in FAT32. Little known fact is, you can format in FAT32 as one giant partition instead of x times 32GB. Here's how to do it on a PC but I don't know how easy it is to do on a Mac; should be possible though.

This may be an obvious tip to others here but I was intrigued when I learned it after running up against an uncooperative OS and pricey apps claiming to be the only way to do it. They warn it may result in slower performance but at least for streaming videos and music I've never had a noticeable lag so far at 66% capacity. From what I can tell the file size limit of 4GB still has no workaround though.
I've always heard that's just a Windows thing to discourage using FAT on HDs (not without reason, NTFS is more robust), on the Mac you can format the full capacity with FAT no problem.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

amf5 posted:

You could always just get the previous model, it's not like the existence of the newer one automatically turns the panel into a horrible jelly or something.

Would be open to this, except that I know for a fact I am going to be buying a Thunderbolt MBP sometime in the next 8-12 months (trying to hold out for a refresh, I've found buying a new computer every 2 years or so and selling the old one is the best way for me to rationalize my constant need to upgrade). If I'm going to put down 1k for a screen, I'd like it to be futureproof (as much as it can be, anyway).

quote:

Not really a hardware question but since I'm using it to buy apple hardware, how is their financing? I'm thinking about using that to buy the new air since I don't want to put it on my credit card but would like to hear from others before I commit.

They have 12 months same as cash. If you know you are going to be able to pay it off in 12 months, I see no reason not to go for it. Just NEVER miss a payment or you'll be paying for it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Heh, naturally as SOON as I get done buying one and taking it apart stupid iFixit beats me to posting about it.

But yes, the drives just stack. The first drive is held in with two screws attached to the antenna shield, and two bumpers on the outside. The second one should just get thrown in there on top of the first. I fit a second 2.5" drive in there without issue - just need the right cable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
(edit-re: bloodysabbath) System requirements for it say you need a TB Mac so no, it won't work with your current MBP...at least until someone makes some adapter, but take into account that (if it ever exists) it'll probably cost a bit.

If you want to save a little just wait for refurbs to show up, the ACD is $850 there right now. Or get a 27" iMac for $1269 :v:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

One drive.

Two drives!

Fits!!!

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

bassguitarhero posted:

It's a credit card with deferred interest on a month's worth of Apple Store purchases. Make sure you read the first statement so you understand exactly when everything has to be paid back to avoid paying interest, and it's fine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

One drive.
Your drive's got some bent pins. :(

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just had my first scare with my MBA. For some reason, my left USB port was not working. It did not recognize my iPhone or a USB drive I had. I was almost ready to take it back but I remember people saying to reset the SMC when you have a hard ware problem. I just did and now it works again. I think this is a sign telling me to go buy Apple Care... I'm driving down to get it now with an educational discount.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

I just had my first scare with my MBA. For some reason, my left USB port was not working. It did not recognize my iPhone or a USB drive I had. I was almost ready to take it back but I remember people saying to reset the SMC when you have a hard ware problem. I just did and now it works again. I think this is a sign telling me to go buy Apple Care... I'm driving down to get it now with an educational discount.

How old is your air? Remember as long as the unit is working you can purchase applecare during the entire first year.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

kingfet posted:

How old is your air? Remember as long as the unit is working you can purchase applecare during the entire first year.

I got it yesterday when the refreshes hit.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Your laptops covered its first year, you don't need AppleCare right now - get it before the year is up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm driving down to get it now with an educational discount.
You don't need to drive anywhere to purchase AppleCare, even through education.

Also yeah, you can wait 364 days to purchase it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Your drive's got some bent pins. :(

OH NO

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is it sad that I knew it was a Fujitsu from the PCBA?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You don't need to drive anywhere to purchase AppleCare, even through education.

Also yeah, you can wait 364 days to purchase it.
I did not know that, I thought you had to show some proof through ID or something. I think I might just wait it out than and buy it towards the end depending on how I think my Mac's holding up.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Rabid Snake posted:

I did not know that, I thought you had to show some proof through ID or something. I think I might just wait it out than and buy it towards the end depending on how I think my Mac's holding up.

It's better to wait in case of accidental damage or theft (though I think If you ask really nicely they'll give you a prorated refund for the remainder of your coverage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

OH NO

I saw the bent pin too but then realized it was IDE so all was good.