Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I have no idea every key but p repeats when held down. So I think it might be the p key is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I'd really love to be proven wrong, but for all I have been able to find out, these all just work in one direction from Mini-DP out to whatever, i.e. if you have a computer that has Mini-DP output (Mac or some PCs whose graphics card have Mini-DP out), then you can connect those to displays that take VGA/HDMI etc. as input. It doesn't work in the other direction, so you will still not be able to connect your PC with VGA/HDMI output to a Cinema/Thunderbolt display using those cables.

My situation is that I have a late 2009 iMac which is essentially like a Cinema Display with a built-in Mac that can take Mini-DP input. After some research it looks like the only way to connect a PC to it is to get a graphics card with DP or Mini-DP out and carefully check if it supports the 2560x1440 resolution. There are crap cards out there that do have DP but max out at 1600x1200 or somesuch when using it.

There is a somewhat informative little Q&A article on Apple's site here.

Astro7x posted:

So I'm sort of in the same boat... I'm trying to weight the option of getting the Cinema Display now and be able to actually use the USB ports on the back. Or get a Thunderbolt display and future proof myself for when I eventually someday get a computer that supports it.
Without a Thunderbolt capable Mac, that display is going to be nothing but one huge, heavy paperweight. So far, all signs point to it really only working with Thunderbolt Macs.

Astro7x posted:

Edit: So the other day I pointed out that on the Thunderbolt Display page they show the MacPro next to the display in the photos, even though it's impossible to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a current generation MacPro properly since none of them support Thunderbolt with noway to add them. Well... since then they've taken down that image. I guess that clarifies that.
I've ordered the Thunderbolt Display (but as of right now, it's supposed to arrive in mid-September). I'll definitely try to connect my non-Thunderbolt MBP to it for fun, but I'm not expecting to get a picture out of it, only from the MBP with Thunderbolt. If I'll be the first to try it (yeah right), I'll post about it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

flavor posted:

I'd really love to be proven wrong, but for all I have been able to find out, these all just work in one direction from Mini-DP out to whatever, i.e. if you have a computer that has Mini-DP output (Mac or some PCs whose graphics card have Mini-DP out), then you can connect those to displays that take VGA/HDMI etc. as input. It doesn't work in the other direction, so you will still not be able to connect your PC with VGA/HDMI output to a Cinema/Thunderbolt display using those cables.

You are correct, each of the Monoprice adapters has the following sentence

quote:

This device is not Bidirectional. It can only connect a Mini-DisplayPort source to an VGA/DVI/HDMI display. It will not work in reverse.

Kaster Troy
Feb 8, 2010
After updating my Mac Pro to Lion the other day, my fans don't shut off at all in sleep mode. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008
So I found this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388873,00.asp

They benched Crysis on the mid-Mini with the 6630M and got ~48 fps at 1280x720 on medium settings. Seems pretty decent, no? Now could someone just bench Starcraft 2 for me :( I'm getting the Mini mainly for programming and making music but I'd love to be able to play SC2 every now and then.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Foiltha posted:

They benched Crysis on the mid-Mini with the 6630M and got ~48 fps at 1280x720 on medium settings. Seems pretty decent, no? Now could someone just bench Starcraft 2 for me :( I'm getting the Mini mainly for programming and making music but I'd love to be able to play SC2 every now and then.

If it runs Crysis that well, I think one can extrapolate that it will kick the poop out of SC2.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Is there a Starcraft 2 demo? I got the 2.5 i5 Mini last night and can test whatever for people tonight.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does anyone have an entire computing setup of Air + iPad? I'm considering it but it kind of makes me feel like they would overlap too much.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone have an entire computing setup of Air + iPad? I'm considering it but it kind of makes me feel like they would overlap too much.

I have a PC desktop and an Air. I bought an iPad and returned it within a week because I found that I never used it, especially considering I also own an iPhone.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Karsh posted:

I have a PC desktop and an Air. I bought an iPad and returned it within a week because I found that I never used it, especially considering I also own an iPhone.

That's what I'm worrying about, mainly since im getting an iPhone later this year. Air + iPhone + ereader may be the perfect combo.

Has anyone tried WoW on the new Airs?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

After getting my iPad, my MBP didn't leave its spot on my desk once. Replaced it with a new mini, selling the MBP.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

After getting my iPad, my MBP didn't leave its spot on my desk once. Replaced it with a new mini, selling the MBP.
I've actually been considering an iPad + Mini combo, with the Mini doing HTPC duties, light gaming, and whatever the iPad can't do. My only concern is that I do a lot of long-form writing, and I'm a little wary of how that would work out with that setup.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

KidDynamite posted:

I have no idea every key but p repeats when held down. So I think it might be the p key is hosed.

If you're in Lion, they disabled key repeat in some/most apps, it seems

To restore the way it used to work, fire up terminal and type in
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false
then logout/login and it should be back to how you like it.

If you're still on SL, I have no idea, sorry

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've actually been considering an iPad + Mini combo, with the Mini doing HTPC duties, light gaming, and whatever the iPad can't do. My only concern is that I do a lot of long-form writing, and I'm a little wary of how that would work out with that setup.

iPad + iMac/mini is a great solution, pick up a nice iPad case so you can sit it up while you type with a bluetooth keyboard, and you're fine for longer writing sessions. For edits and reviews you'd likely want to do it in a full desktop environment. It's still a lighter combo than almost any laptop, and has a 8-10 hour battery life.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat, after getting an iPad I barely use my 15" mid-2008 MBP anymore. I'm thinking about doing the opposite of what everyone else seems to be doing though and selling the MBP and iPad and getting a maxed out 11" MBA to replace the combo, although I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed with the screen res on the 11". With the 13" similarly maxed out being only $50 more I can't make up my goddamn mind :stare:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

11" Air + Thunderbolt Display :catdrugs:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

amf5 posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat, after getting an iPad I barely use my 15" mid-2008 MBP anymore. I'm thinking about doing the opposite of what everyone else seems to be doing though and selling the MBP and iPad and getting a maxed out 11" MBA to replace the combo, although I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed with the screen res on the 11". With the 13" similarly maxed out being only $50 more I can't make up my goddamn mind :stare:

An 11 inch air takes up less space and weight than an iPad + a keyboard and stand thing. And the 13 inch is barely bigger overall. Just something to consider.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

fishmech posted:

An 11 inch air takes up less space and weight than an iPad + a keyboard and stand thing. And the 13 inch is barely bigger overall. Just something to consider.

Yeah I know, that was my original reasoning behind possibly selling both since a MBA at either size would probably be more capable and have better battery life than both at this point since the iPad has like 65% of the original capacity and at best lasts maybe 6 hours, and the MBP never really got better than 4 hours even though it has a retardedly low cycle count for how old it is. You're not making this any easier fishmech :ughh:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

amf5 posted:

Yeah I know, that was my original reasoning behind possibly selling both since a MBA at either size would probably be more capable and have better battery life than both at this point since the iPad has like 65% of the original capacity and at best lasts maybe 6 hours, and the MBP never really got better than 4 hours even though it has a retardedly low cycle count for how old it is. You're not making this any easier fishmech :ughh:

The Air is AWESOME. The 13 inch Air is like double awesome and barely bigger all around, tho the bigger screen definitely is nice.

The 13 inch Air also lasts like 7 or so hours on battery while the 11 inch does 5 or so.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I ordered an iMac through a friend who works at Apple (for the discount). The iMac is being shipped to my name/address, but the original purchase was done by said friend. I realized late in the process that I had mistakenly ordered the Magic Mouse instead of the Magic Trackpad, so it was too late to switch. Once the order is delivered to my home, is it possible to take the Magic Mouse to an Apple store and exchange it for a Magic Trackpad (I will not open or use it before exchanging), or is this going to be difficult because I was not the person who placed the order?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They won't let you do that even if you're the original purchaser.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Got my 13" Air i5 256gb today from Best Buy. They are already on sale...

My model is $1,599 everywhere, BB had it for $1,499. I tossed in a few gift cards and left under $1,300.

Of course I've obsessed on the components. There is a lot of chatter about the panels and SSDs Apple is using.

There are two panels: LG/Phillips and Samsung. Consensus = Samsung is the superior panel.

There are two SSD's: Toshiba and Samsung. Consensus = Samsung is much faster.

Of course my new MBA has the LG panel and Toshiba SSD.

gently caress it, I say. It's awesome anyway. I've replaced my 17" MBP and 12" HP EliteBook tablet. I got 256gigs so I can put Windows 7 on a bootcamp partition.

Thank god I ebayed my 2010 13" MBA base model for $999 last week. Unloaded that bitch just in time!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jeratain posted:

I ordered an iMac through a friend who works at Apple (for the discount). The iMac is being shipped to my name/address, but the original purchase was done by said friend. I realized late in the process that I had mistakenly ordered the Magic Mouse instead of the Magic Trackpad, so it was too late to switch. Once the order is delivered to my home, is it possible to take the Magic Mouse to an Apple store and exchange it for a Magic Trackpad (I will not open or use it before exchanging), or is this going to be difficult because I was not the person who placed the order?

The mouse will be bundled with your keyboard and disks. The only way to "not open it" is to not unpack your Mac.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone have a new 27 inch iMac? Because I just got this email:

Apple posted:

Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that a very small number of 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail under certain conditions. These systems were sold between May 2011 and July 2011.

Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

Please choose one of the following options to get a replacement hard drive.

Apple Retail Store - Set up an appointment with a Genius.

Apple Authorized Service Provider - Find one here.

Apple Technical Support - Contact us for local service options.
Apple recommends replacing your affected hard drive as soon as possible. Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

Additional Information

You will need to have the original Mac OS installation discs that were shipped with your iMac in order to reinstall your operating system, other applications, and any backed up data after your hard drive is replaced.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.

Apple will replace affected 1TB Seagate hard drives, free of charge, until July 23, 2012. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and provide extensions to this program as needed.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Apple Inc.

Please tell me this is some type of email phishing scam because I'd so not be amused if it wasn't. :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SERIOUS posted:

Anyone have a new 27 inch iMac? Because I just got this email:

Please tell me this is some type of email phishing scam because I'd so not be amused if it wasn't. :(

Yeah, really sucks about you getting a free harddrive.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, really sucks about you getting a free harddrive.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

It's still not amusing to have to actually go through the efforts to get one, considering I need this computer for work quite often, but I appreciate your sarcasm, I guess? :confused:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Mine is using a WD Scorpio Black, so no free replacement here...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SERIOUS posted:

It's still not amusing to have to actually go through the efforts to get one, considering I need this computer for work quite often, but I appreciate your sarcasm, I guess? :confused:

I'd talk to the dudes at the Mac Store and see if they can transfer your data when popping in the new HD. If not, see if you can still get the replacement drive, pick up a USB caddy and then use Carbon Copy Cloner(free!) to do it yourself.

I can't remember if the hard drives are FRU or not but I'm pretty sure there's guides out there that can walk you through it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

SERIOUS posted:

I'm sure it's a hassle, but they'll make it as smooth as possible. Make sure you have a backup and bring it into an Apple store. I'm sure they'll even transfer the data.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Isn't Time Machine enough in this case? Just select the whole drive, let it backup, and then when the new drive is in, you use a bootable OS installer disk to restore from the TM backup to the new harddrive.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm sure it's a hassle, but they'll make it as smooth as possible. Make sure you have a backup and bring it into an Apple store. I'm sure they'll even transfer the data.

Yeah I have a Time Capsule, and about 3 other external drives just in case (I tend to get paranoid about protecting important projects I've worked on...)

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Welp, I finally ordered my Mac Mini Server and Magic Trackpad with Saturday delivery from MacMall.

Looking forward to have a Mac for a desktop, as the last one I had was a G5 back in the mid-2000s. This is the first one since then that really had a decent set of hardware for the price, and to be honest I can't wait to have the ability to move it around or take it to work. My MBA 11in has been a great main personal and work computer, though, and I will probably never buy a non-Air laptop ever again after loving this form factor.

Is the Migration Assistant able to just copy over all my poo poo/settings from my MBA without disrupting anything, or should I just do my folders manually?

Kenshirou fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 23, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kenshirou posted:

Welp, I finally ordered my Mac Mini Server and Magic Trackpad with Saturday delivery from MacMall.

Looking forward to have a Mac for a desktop, as the last one I had was a G5 back in the mid-2000s. This is the first one since then that really had a decent set of hardware for the price, and to be honest I can't wait to have the ability to move it around or take it to work. My MBA 11in has been a great main personal and work computer, though, and I will probably never buy a non-Air laptop ever again after loving this form factor.

(I'm just asking)

Does the "netbook like" feel and tiny screen / resolution (768, really?) bug you about the 11" air?

I like the 13" form factor, but keep eyeballing the 11" in the store. Don't know what it would be like for a 2-3 year usage machine, however. I'd be afraid I'd grow tired of the tiny size.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

hotsauce posted:

(I'm just asking)

Does the "netbook like" feel and tiny screen / resolution (768, really?) bug you about the 11" air?

I like the 13" form factor, but keep eyeballing the 11" in the store. Don't know what it would be like for a 2-3 year usage machine, however. I'd be afraid I'd grow tired of the tiny size.

I've been using it as my main computer since I got it back in December and to be honest the screen is great IMO. It's incredibly clean for it's size and it doesn't feel too small. With Mission Control it's been even easier to lay out my stuff so that it's less cluttered, but even before it wasn't too bad if you use shortcuts and keep the screen somewhat organized.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I plan to buy a new Mac Mini as it seems to be the perfect HTPC. What would you guys recommend as external storage? USB 2.0 hard drives are portable but slow, and I guess I would benefit from either the Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt interface (is there even such a thing as a Thunderbolt hard drive?) - any particular recommendations?
Would this just be for media storage and playback? If so, USB is more than enough to play media, even a straight BD rip barely touches what USB can do, the speed will mainly come into play when copying files around (and perhaps other file modifications like tagging or decompressing files).

FireWire is better of course, the only question is whether you're willing to pay for the premium. I think a good portable enclosure will run about $50, while I'm not sure about desktop ones these days. Just basically assume a $20-50 premium over USB (even 3.0 + eSATA). The only recommendation I can think of is this Oyen Digital portable one...cause it looks like an old Rosewill I have :shobon:. Pop in whatever 2.5" drive and you should be good to go. It'd probably be cheaper to get an external from one of the big drive companies though for whatever reason.

The only Thunderbolt stuff any time soon will probably be aimed at the pro market with a massive markup. If you want to make a vain attempt at future proofing you could get something with USB 3.0 and/or eSATA, in hopes you'll be able to attach it through Thunderbolt eventually. I'd only suggest it if you were willing to use the drive at USB 2 speeds. On the plus side it'd probably be cheaper than FireWire.

flavor posted:

My situation is that I have a late 2009 iMac which is essentially like a Cinema Display with a built-in Mac that can take Mini-DP input. After some research it looks like the only way to connect a PC to it is to get a graphics card with DP or Mini-DP out and carefully check if it supports the 2560x1440 resolution. There are crap cards out there that do have DP but max out at 1600x1200 or somesuch when using it.
I think there's a dual link DVI to MDP adapter, but it's expensive enough that you might as well pick up a decent video card. I'm kind of surprised that there's any cards that have DP but can't do 2560x1440.

Foiltha posted:

Keep in mind that 720p is pretty low resolution on a computer...but if you're fine with that concession then it sounds decent. At least that'll be my logic for getting one.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It depends on what you need when you write, and simply if you can get used to the soft keyboard. The biggest issue I've run into is just needing another window for reference or something, and that's just not possible on the iPad (barring random apps that do it). If you're just writing entirely from your head without any outside info it's ok, barring the keyboard again.

I'd like to get an Air, but I fear the main thing I'd use it for is as a second screen while using my iPad, and rare times when I need a desktop OS away from home (a Mac mini is my main machine). I use an old netbook for those duties currently, but I've only needed it a few times this year.

SERIOUS posted:

Yeah I have a Time Capsule, and about 3 other external drives just in case (I tend to get paranoid about protecting important projects I've worked on...)
Double check the Time Capsule to make sure all the data is there...there's been some horror stories about it not backing up now and then. If you have a clone on one of those other drives it's less of a concern of course.

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 23, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I don't know how to check FPS in Starcraft II, but running the demo at 1900x1200 it looked great and performed as fast as I'd expect on the 2.5 mini.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
If any of you less-than-perfect credit score people attempted to finance through the Barclays card and were declined, I went ahead and called their recon line and a very friendly gentleman asked me a handful of questions and approved me for the card instantly.

I've been building my credit over the last few years and this is by far my largest credit limit.

866-408-4064

What sucks though, is that you can't go into the store and buy anything until you have the physical card (according to Apple.com live chat). I had to order online. Oh well, new MBA 11" sometime next week!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Anyone tried Left 4 Dead 2 on it on the new Airs yet? If so how playable would you say it is on OSX or Windows?

I do have quite low standards as I currently play on an AMD E-350 with Radeon 6310 at the moment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dissss posted:

Anyone tried Left 4 Dead 2 on it on the new Airs yet? If so how playable would you say it is on OSX or Windows?

I do have quite low standards as I currently play on an AMD E-350 with Radeon 6310 at the moment.

Notebookcheck says the Intel HD3000 can play it at over 60fps in high settings, expect a minor performance hit on OSX.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mu Zeta posted:

Notebookcheck says the Intel HD3000 can play it at over 60fps in high settings, expect a minor performance hit on OSX.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

If I'm reading that correctly those numbers are for a quad core I7 desktop processor (and the faster clocked GPU that goes along with it). I'm wanting to know how much slower it runs on the Air.

Edit: Found a comparo between the old and new MBP, still interested as to how much slower the Air runs
http://www.techyalert.com/2011/02/25/macbook-pro-2010-vs-macbook-pro-2011/

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 23, 2011