Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
For monitor I use Lenovo P27q at home with 12" Macbook and P24q with Macbook Pro 2016 at work. Both charge the laptop fine, and everything just works and they're not badly priced. Surprisingly good colours too, for a Lenovo product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Is there any way to wipe / copy stuff from broken 12" Macbook? It has broken screen and while replacing the said broken screen the whole connector just crumbled to pieces :sigh: I'll either need to clear it for recycling (if this is impossible, then it won't matter anyway) but I'd like to have copy of the data on it, stuff like SSH keys that are not part of Time machine backup. I tried connecting the main PCB to a USB-C dongle with charging and HDMI but as soon as the OS loads it'll go blank screen.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Re-purposed my old Macbook as a server,

With dongle and holding option while boot I was able to clear the data and install headless Debian. Now I just need to find a dongle that'll do power delivery and Ethernet for cheap, as that is on loan from work.

Any recommendations? :v:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

eames posted:

That's a fun idea, I never thought of headless a diy mac server with a macbook board of some sorts.

Yeah, the display connector crumbled into million pieces while I was trying to repair it (screen was shattered) so it was a total loss as a Mac.

I was searching for a Raspberry Pi replacement as they're slow as hell when you pile on the services, core m7, 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB NVMe SSD beats it quite easily, and it was essentially free, as it was just taking space in the to-be-recycled bin of stuff. Zip-tied Thermalright HR-05 on it, as it run quite warm and thermally throttled.

I might do the Lego thing, but that might require a fan, as on normal configuration the case is used as a giant heat sink for the whole SoC.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
So I bought the worst Macbook (M1 2020 Pro with touchbar) 2nd hand and the backspace key is mushy and soft. Do these have any recalls that I could abuse (I've done it with Intel Pro at work, Apple got me a new top case over the holidays for some keys missing paint and occasional doubling on the A key) or is this something I could fix myself?

I never had any issues with the hated previous gen (2015-2018) keyboards other than the work laptop.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
So a Macbook (13" Pro M1) that only charges when shut down and has sticky keys means it has had some sort of spill damage in the past is just useless brick and should be recycled, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

mediaphage posted:

or send it to me, ill gladly pay shipping lol
I'm in Europe so it'd have funny broken keyboard.

I'll have a repair shop look at it, it's within EU consumer protection, but I'm going to guess the serial has been flagged as scrap/parts as the guy I bought it was shady as hell and didn't disclose the sticky keys and charging issues, he probably had insurance "total" it (which requires authorised repair shop to look at it)

It still seem to work just fine, if it's shut down and not unplugged from charger. Seller didn't include original charger either :v: