Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Being as light as it is, why would you leave it around?

There was a way to lock the curved Air but it involved sticking metal between the hinges so if you (or anyone else) closed the lid accidentally, you'd probably gently caress up your screen and/or the bezel in the process, not to mention the hinge. Here's a link and don't tell me it doesn't look retardedly risky. http://www.macgirl.net/reviews/Reviews/macbookairlockbracket.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

ndrake posted:

I'm a physician and it would be weird to bring a personal computer into exam rooms during clinic... And agreed that doesn't look ideal.

You carry around a clipboard or papers anyway, right? Why not get something similar to this here? I personally wouldn't find it weird for a doc to carry around a laptop, and even if you do, you could easily hide it that way. Google "storage clipboard" and you'll find more options.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Hiyoshi posted:

What's so different between the 2008 iMacs and the early 2009 iMacs that would make AirDrop support difficult?

Yeah, even 2010 Airs can't do it. What the hell. Guess I'll have to do it the old way with logging in on the other computer over the air and all that jazz.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I got a 2003 17" iMac G4 off a friend of a friend who lives across the country. She said it turned on fine when she tried it prior to shipping but when it got here, it wouldn't turn on. I tried a SMC reset (unplug everything, hold power button for 10-20 seconds) and a PRAM reset (apple-alt-p-r and power on) but nope, nothing will turn it on.

Anything else I can try? I already tried different outlets, but it's no good.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

Are there any known issues with HDMI in the mid-2014 MacBook Pro? I've got the retina 13", and some times when I plug an external monitor in it'll get all static-y and not work, or on occasion even kernel panic and restart. I don't know if it's an issue with the laptop, display, or the software, and a cursory Google search isn't helping much.

I think I had that several times with varying monitors/TVs. Projectors weren't affected. Retina 13", the first generation I think, so 2013-2014. It works often enough that I haven't bothered going to the fruit stand yet.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The OLED thing sounds weird but intriguing. I hope they at least announce something in June so I can decide if I'll wait or buy the rMB.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

Hm, I was afraid of that. The 15" rMBPs are just sooo ridiculously expensive here in Germany. :negative: 2200€ for a laptop is a pretty serious commitment.

If it's practical for you, you could buy it in Switzerland, the entry level 15" is CHF 2149 there, which comes to about € 1979. Apple takes € 2249 for the same model in Germany. Buy Swiss refurb and you'd make even more of a bargain I guess. I haven't tried it so I don't know if there's a catch. Warranty is global anyway and you can pick whatever keyboard you want.

Edit: The Swiss refurb store doesn't have any Macs at all right now.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 19, 2016

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

If I were worried about someone being able to access my computer, webcam and microphone would be the least of my worries. What about keyboard/mouse input, and God forbid, the actual files on the computer? It seems like such a half-assed attempt at securing your privacy or projecting an image of someone who's serious about privacy.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Weedle posted:

If you orient it so the Lightning port is at the top, the screen will rotate to be right-side up.

What? I don't understand any of this. How does the headphone jack affect the stand? Or is this a joke?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I Am Crake posted:

The headphone jack is on top so removing it would mean that if the iPad is on a stand, the bottom-facing lightning port can't be used to plug in headphones.

Ah, gotcha, thanks.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

In an attempt to change the topic: is there anything cool you can do with one or the sunflower 15" (I think) iMacs? The one with the neat swiveling mechanic and the CPU etc. in the base. I have one of those sitting in a closet. The DVD drive is broken but wifi/Bluetooth works.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Sunflower iMac chat:

~Coxy posted:

Mac OS 9 classic games machine.
Not much else, really.

That might actually be something. I have a friend whose husband has some OS 9 game he loves. Heroes of Might & Magic 5 or something, I think. I'm gonna ask him if he wants it (if he can be arsed to install it without a working DVD drive, haha).

Krispy Kareem posted:

They are neat though. I wish Apple hadn't abandoned the articulating arm so quickly.

Yeah, it'd be a fun desk toy if it wasn't so big. The arm moves so smoothly. I even used it to carry it around before I learned from this thread that that's just its intended purpose, too!

I had this dumb idea from way before the iPad became a thing, where I'd stick an old iMac in a corner to look up things on the fly. Now we all just carry iPads and that made that idea obsolete. Not that I'm complaining, it's just kinda surreal how technology changes.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I had that occasionally before Sierra too, didn't think much of it even though I didn't really understood why that happened, either. Happened maybe 2 or 3 times since I got the capsule, 3 years ago.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I got Duet Display for my iPad/MacBook yesterday and it'll show the TouchBar on the iPad even if you don't have a TouchBar MacBook. Pretty cool if you wanna test drive that stuff. The app is 10 bucks though.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

GutBomb posted:

What country are you coming from? Isn't keyboard layout going to be an issue if you're buying an American laptop?

You can specify that, too, unless something has changed.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple are the masters of upselling

Edit- and also what I’m saying is why have a portable 4-core laptop when you can have a less portable 6 or 8-core laptop and an iPad Pro? Bing bong so simple

:chaostrump:

Ugh, I'm in the exact situation. New job is paying €1,500 towards a new laptop so I just have to pay the difference which makes the 16 extremely compelling but a tricked out 4-port 13 (32 GB, 1 TB) sounds good too. I currently get by on 256 GB so I'm curious if I'll even need the 1 TB. It's €2,560 for the 32 GB/512 GB version, and €2,800 for the 32 GB/1 TB.

The 16 with 32GB/512GB is €3,120 but has a 9th gen processor at 6 cores, while the new 13 has the 10th gen but only 4 cores.

Would any of this even matter? I might maybe take up Final Cut Pro because I wanna learn it so I'm wondering if I might get by on a 16 GB machine or if I should future proof it with 32 GB.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I‘ll probably just go gently caress it and go for 32GB/1TB because my old-rear end 2013 MBP with 8GB and 256 GB was a middle of the field machine back then and it held up great, probably because I went for more than I thought I‘d need.

It‘s good I don‘t have time to fret/think about the ARM computers coming :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

loving with Sony by putting one of their flagship developer’s game chock full of Apple merchandise sounds like an extremely Jobs thing.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Lmao what the hell? I expected them to go one more thing and then they did and it was a dumb joke, this rules

Steve must be spinning in his grave from laughter

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

those events are prerecorded these days, that doesn't make sense like at all

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Do you mean official or knockoffs? For the latter I had good luck with whatever looked good on Amazon. Quality is worse but still serviceable especially as they only cost like 10% for a 3-pack if you’re lucky. I had some that were almost 1:1 the Apple bands but disappeared from Amazon later lol

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I fell for when they announced MS office working good on iPads a couple years back and it’s just a complete shitshow and I hate it and I would recommend sticking with an actual computer. Maybe I’m too stupid to understand how sharing and annotations/tracking changes works on iOS/iPadOS Office but I have never gotten it to work in a way that was compatible with collaborative work. Stopped installing it on new computers and Pages works so much better even with people using windows on the other end it’s ridiculous, probably should delete the MS office apps off my iOS devices too.

Or maybe I just haven’t grasped it yet how to use it properly. I certainly wouldn’t rely on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I’m not 100% sure I’m parsing this right so grain of salt: I remember having an issue when I plugged more than one hubs/dongles after each other and some Apple or other tech support person said that thats one USBC thing that specifically won’t work well for ~reasons~. So it’s one dongle/hub max.