Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

My 2010 15" MBP boots in about 15 seconds after I upgraded with an OWC SSD. But that doesn't really matter since there's no real reason to shut it off in the first place like you guys said. As long as I see Chrome or iTunes turn on in one bounce I'm happy.

My 13" boots in about the same amount of time. More than half of it is spent at the stupid grey Mac screen.

Video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

So my own 13" MBP arrived, but I haven't opened it yet because I'm deciding whether it'd be worth it to return it for a 13" upgraded to the i7. I haven't seen a lot of reviews comparing the two and what I could find was limited. is the i7 worth it in the 13" MBP?

For $300 (25% of a $1199 laptop!) I wouldn't bother. Unless you're going to use it to run Cinebench and Photoshop all day. Buy $300 worth of Apple stock and then just buy a new one in 3 years.

ndrake posted:

Is anyone using this fancy hybrid HD/SSD, the seagate momentus XT? It sounds nice, but I'm not sure how much I trust it to "learn" my commonly used files. Does this work in real life? If you dual boot with windows does it just confuse the hell out of the drive? And can you (or do you need to) use the trim enabler with lion for the SSD partition? Similarly, does the phantom lion recovery partition work well with this drive (i.e. it won't accidentally partition off part of the SSD that would be used for speeding up the computer, right?). I'm going to pick up either this or the WD scorpio black to upgrade my 09 MBP.

Don't.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

I need a Windows VM for office for my work email because we're in the process of migrating to Google Apps and their OSX support is complete trash. I have never been so appalled at how awful someone supports OSX as Google after my experience with our companies "enterprise" support.

We use Google apps here and half our staff is on Macs :confused:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The i5's are really fast. Plus they turbo boost so 1.6GHz isn't as slow as you'd think.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I just grabbed a original 11" Air in SA-Mart. If the screen is too small or the 64GB/2GB is too limiting, I figure I can always just re-sell it for what I paid for it. I already have a 13" MBP so I'm not sure how smart of an idea that was.

I don't plan on putting Lion on it and I'll pretty much use it for posturing wherever there is public wifi. :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm having some serious first world problems here. For whatever reason, I'm thinking of taking back this new iMac and going back to my gaming PC I built and getting a 13" Air. If I did that I would have pc upgrade money, and I could sell my iPad since the Air would cover everything I need in it. Has anyone else done the "windows box / air" combo and enjoyed it? I can't help but think jumping back and forth from OSs will be jarring and i'll miss the iMac.

I don't game, but after I got my MBP I basically never ever used my Windows or Linux desktops so I just sold them (and kept my big monitor)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why are you guys not making your employer pay for your computers/software that you use for work?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Just wondering will this ram work in a 2011 13" mbp?

This is the ram from the deal Bob Morales posted last week. Either way I'm purchasing new ram today just need to know which to get.

Mine was just delivered so I will let you know if it works tonight, I plan on installing it in the same machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

It's actually not the same ram. So does anyone know if that matters?
Same poo poo, just different number.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doc Faustus posted:

So, on the Apple site, the Hi-Res screen is described as "useful when you’re working with HD content in pro applications, like Final Cut Studio". I don't intend to do any of those things. Is the upgrade still worth it for general usage/occasional movie playback, or will most people be perfectly happy with the standard screen?

I would get it, 1440x900 or whatever isn't very good for a 15" screen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:q:

In the morning I'll stick the 2x2GB chips in my iMac at work. They are Samsung 10600's, I replaced them with G.Skill 10666's

The free USB drive is a white Kingston Data Traveler. Kind of a stupid shape. Oh well.

Also UPS dropped off my 11" Air even though I was supposed to pick it up at the depot. Oh well, saves me 10 minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dissss posted:

I think its the lower end where Apple is less competitive - thats one of the reasons why they dropped the plastic Macbook.

I think the problem is that Apple doesn't lower prices over time. It's always the same price, from when it comes out, until the day the new model is release. Dell's machines get cheaper. You could buy the same model 8 months later, and you'll get more RAM, HD, and a faster CPU while the computer itself is cheaper. A $999 Macbook is always going to be $999.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Seems about right, I got my 500mhz Pismo in 2000 so that was probably the predecessor...I think they kept the high end at $3,499 too.

I remember my friend buying his. Couldn't believe he spent that much money on it (or had that much in the first place). So much cooler than my Dell Inspiron.

Installed the RAM from my MBP into my work iMac this morning, loaded my usual stuff and I'm THIS close to using 4GB. Will be nice to have that extra breathing room.

2GB/64GB Air Notes

A fresh boot with Firefox open takes about 700MB of RAM. A fresh install of OS X is about 8GB, monolingual takes it down another 1 GB. Installing the developer tools takes another 10 GB (yes, ten) if you install the iOS stuff. Oh well, I've got 37GB free.

The screen doesn't really feel any different than 1280x800. Just smaller pixels. Bumping the scaling down in the browser one notch and taking the fonts down in finder 1 size (and icons and spacing) really helps. It's weird how large the 13" MBP feels after you've used the Air for a while. The drawback to the small size is that it gets bumped around much easier and the screen/hinge feel flimsy, even if they really aren't.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Is there a "best" SSD to get for a 2011 13" mbp? I think I want to do that upgrade next after I get the RAM. 8gigs ram and an SSD sounds way too sexy. Also are there any foreseeable problems with sleep and what not running an SSD?

I've always stuck with Intel and had no issues.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Do you mind telling me which one of these I should pick up? And also do you have a link to an install guide?

X-25 if you can still find one, or the 320. The 510 isn't a bad choice, it's a 6.0GB/s device but it won't be noticeably faster.

Installation Guide:

Flip over Macbook Pro (on to something soft like a shirt so you don't scratch it)
Loosen all the screws on the bottom (don't take them out)
Lift bottom panel
Remove factory HD
Remove the little studs in the side (and put them on your new drive)
Put SSD back into that spot
Put bottom panel back on
Tighten screws
Re-install OS X

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I wouldn't want to take a 15" or 17" on a plane.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Recommendation for 11" Air sleeves?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did Steve ever explain why Apple still sells keyboards with white keys?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Can someone tell me where to get low profile USB keys relatively cheap? Looking for something that will mesh with my unibody MBP.

Try one of the places that make custom ones, they have some really cool designs but you have to have a minimum order.

http://www.expressusbdrives.com/

Maybe get some SA ones made up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Does anyone know if the 4 gigs OEM ram that came in my 2011 13" mbp would work in a c2d 13" from mid 2009? I just got my 8gigs today and have nothing to do with the old ram besides give it to a friend.

Might, might not. Most people report the 10600/10666 doesn't work in the C2D's but in some cases it works. Only takes a few minutes to try. Sell it to someone with a newer iMac, they have 4 slots.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's an iPhone thread in IYG.

I suppose it's worth a shot, but you could also just snag a used phone off of SA-Mart and avoid the trouble.

pee phone

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

All cheap Macbooks on CL are scams.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Best Buy is selling their C2D 11" Airs for $832

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Vivix posted:

Any suggestions for a sub-$50 13" Macbook Air sleeve? Preferably available on Best Buy, since I have some gift cards to waste.

I bought the nylon Incase

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Incase+...cbook&cp=1&lp=6

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

On Unicornback posted:

Welp, egg on my face. I just assumed they could handle 4x3.5" discs. Nullifies that answer.

They don't have the drive bays like the Intel Mac Pros do. But there are after market solutions like this:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/g5_jive.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

The 320 has a potential nasty bug where improper power off (power loss, hard shutdown, maybe hard restart) can leave it showing as 8MB. I'd wait until that's patched. They're not so hot without TRIM support but that's more of a long term thing that may not matter for you.

That issue is so overblown. As is the lack of TRIM support.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I've never been able to figure out what those are in the dead center of the picture. They look like Xserve fronts but there's nothing behind them. Then there's a couple CD-ROM drives at the top. Are they power strips or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nice deal but I'd rather grab a refurb/open-box in a month and have instant gratification.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evensevenone posted:

Can you use DVI instead of VGA?

Try this, VGA does weird stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

11" Air bag/sleeve search update:

I ordered the STM Jacket extra small last night

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/laptop-bags/jacket-extra-small-laptop-sleeve/

I bought a Targus 12" bag but there's an extra inch of room, made it really awkward to carry.

http://reviews.targus.com/8826/TSS12503US/targus-targus-12-netbook-sleeve-with-accessory-pocket-reviews/reviews.htm

I'll probably end up getting the Booq Viper which I was trying to avoid because it's $55, plus I wanted something I could carry the power adapter in as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Okay, here's a dumb question: what's the difference between 'inactive' memory and 'free' memory? I'm guessing a difference of unallocated memory versus allocated but not currently in use, but just wondering if there's (likely) more to it than that.

e: Now that I think of it, I have no idea what 'wired' means either. :downs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1342

Free memory

This is RAM that's not being used.

Wired memory

Information in this memory can't be moved to the hard disk, so it must stay in RAM. The amount of Wired memory depends on the applications you are using.

Active memory

This information is currently in memory, and has been recently used.

Inactive memory

This information in memory is not actively being used, but was recently used.

For example, if you've been using Mail and then quit it, the RAM that Mail was using is marked as Inactive memory. This Inactive memory is available for use by another application, just like Free memory. However, if you open Mail before its Inactive memory is used by a different application, Mail will open quicker because its Inactive memory is converted to Active memory, instead of loading Mail from the slower hard disk.

Used

This is the total amount of memory used.

VM size

This is the total amount of Virtual Memory for all processes on your Mac.

Page ins / Page outs

This refers to the amount of information moved between RAM and the hard disk. This number is a cumulative amount of data that Mac OS X has moved between RAM and disk space.

Tip: Page outs occur when your Mac has to write information from RAM to the hard drive (because RAM is full). Adding more RAM may reduce page outs.

Swap used

This is the amount of information copied to the swap file on your hard drive.

Even more explaination: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 8, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Have you guys had any problem with OCZ SSD's in OSX? I see some complaints about firmware updating, but it looks like they have a linux boot disk that should take care of that.

Why would you buy an OCZ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Because the 120GB Solid3 is $150? I dunno, I've never looked at SSD's until literally 30 minutes ago.

Read the SSD thread. They all have their ups and downs but don't buy an OCZ.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

You can if you get one of those DualHead2Go things by Matrox but they're pretty lovely.

They "make" your two monitors one huge monitor so maximizing will band across both and if you have a lovely gpu it probably can't drive the resolution anyways.

I have a VGA-dual VGA one for sale if anyone wants it ;)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Are the new Macbook Airs glossy or matte? They almost looked matte to me, compared to how glossy the MBPs I saw were. Maybe it was the lighting, I thought I read they were glossy.

They have a silver bezel which cuts down on the glossiness quite a bit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

How does the intel graphics card on the MBP perform with most modern games?
http://www.techyalert.com/2011/02/25/macbook-pro-2010-vs-macbook-pro-2011/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boris the Blade posted:

I'm looking into cases/sleeves for my incoming 13" MBA. After an hour or so of searching, I've come across this.

The Be-ez LA robe

Anybody have any experience with this sleeve?

Their other products aren't as tight-fitting as most people would like. I can't stand having any wiggle room in my sleeves.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boris the Blade posted:

Any suggestions then?

I have a nylon Incase on my Pro. Not sure if they make one for the air. I find the neoprene ones to attract pet hair and get 'loose' after a while.

Doctor Zero posted:

I am in no way picking on you, but I think we need this in the OP. It gets asked every page.

Only the illiterate or lazy ask that question. I say we put the answer an animated gif at the top of every page of the thread, in glowing letters with spinning Apple logos

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I'm on my iPhone so I can't check 100 pages or whatever, sorry. Does someone mind answering?

Warranty is not voided. It takes about 2 seconds to do, just remove the screws on the bottom and lift the panel up. I would put your SSD in the HD spot and put your HD (for storage of media, etc) in the optibay slot.

You can buy a fancy pants one for $99 or a cheap $10 on eBay, doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Okay I want that.