Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Looking into a 15" MBP with the 1680 Screen (Haven't decided whether to get glossy or anti-glare), 750GB HD, and the 6750.

Would you suggest just getting the default 4GB and upgrade to 8GB through Newegg (+180 on Apple's Site)? My biggest concern is, of course, AppleCare. How would that be handled?

Also (COMPLETELY out in left field), is there anyone that has a slot-load BluRay drive? Fastmac seems to only support the original MBP 17" Non-Unibody, but that's 600 bucks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

You should also consider upgrading the hard drive with an SSD. It only adds 5 minutes of work while you're adding the RAM. If you have an extra $220 or so you can get a 128gig SSD and you'll never look back at hard drives again. Put the 750gig onto an external case.

The problem I have with that, is not being able to take my Music Library with me. My MBP would become my Primary machine with the desktop being the spare, so I would need at least enough space for Lion, Windows, and my Library.

Although, I suppose I could look at getting an OptiBay?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

How much music is it? You can get a 32GB SD card for $39.99 on sale.

~80 Gigs. I dunno, I would just feel claustrophobic only 80 or 120GB with an SSD. :(

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

jfreder posted:

You might discover that you dont need 80GB of music on you at all times.

I guess I need to re-think my position on having my iTunes Library on my at all times then. I mainly wanted it because of visiting friends and (heaven forbid) something dumb happened with my iPhone, I wouldn't be 3 hours away with no GPS / Music on the way home.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

pipebomb posted:

I bought a used 160gb iPod and keep it in my bag...just for giggles and paranoid moments.

That might not be a bad idea either. :)

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

movax posted:

I'm currently waiting on a new HDD to come in for my Optibay, so I'm using the MBP solely with a SSD now, and it isn't claustrophobic at all. Still 40GB free, and that's with my complete iTunes library for my 8GB iPod as well.

I'd get the Optibay and use that if you absolutely must have music with you. With the partitions unmounted and the drive in standby, it should draw very little power.

Regarding free-fall sensors in drives, those operate at the drive level and require no OS interaction, right?

I thought it was dependent on the drive location.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

movax posted:

It'll be rough having Windows bootcamp'd on the SSD, I'm moving mine to the HDD in the Optibay. You can still boot off that partition even if its in a drive in the Optibay. More cost effective than buying a 240GB drive.

How will SATA3 speeds be affected if I put an SSD in the OptiBay and leave the HD in the HD Bay to use the sudden motion sensor? (On a new 15" of course.)

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

From everything I've read, you'll have a lot of trouble waking it from sleep to the OS if it's in the OptiBay.

Well, drat it. Does anyone know if the SMS works in the Optibay?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

pipebomb posted:

FFS. I can't catch a break lately. Everything new is loving with me.

I'm willing to bet it's because you don't have the (mostly) useless System Reserved / EFI partition on the new SSD?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
Okay, guys. It's time for me to get a MacBook Pro! I'm getting the higher end 15, but I have a few questions.

Is the 2.3 i7 worth the extra money over the 2.2? Also, would you recommend the Anti-Glare or Glossy for the high-res screen?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

Okay guys, so I took my MBP into the Fruit Stand for this and a yellowing screen issue. Apart from them accidentally putting the standard resolution screen in as a replacement for my slightly yellowing high resolution one, they replaced the wifi card in the machine. The MAC address has changed so I'm sure they did actually do this.

I'm using it now with the standard resolution screen in whilst they wait for a replacement high res one to get in stock, and whilst everything being huge is relatively easy to adjust to, the wifi problem I had before returning again is not.

It's exactly the same behaviour as before. In the store they booted the Genius USB drive install and it seemed to be working there when it wasn't on my Lion install, and the hardware diagnostics passed fine, so they suggested it might be a software issue. I thought at the time it was nice of them to replace the wifi card anyway, just in case.

Since then I reinstalled Lion to no improvement, and thought I might as well try my luck and satisfy curiosity and give the Mountain Lion DP a go. Still no dice - it still randomly decides it's not an official Airport card, and turns itself off whilst refusing to turn back on, leaving the icon on the menubar looking like it's connected with no problems:

The problem is intermittent at best and appears to only show up with use of the connection, so it's pretty tricky for them to pin down by just leaving it on the store's wifi idling, which doesn't bode well for getting results.

I've already done the SMC/PRAM etc etc resets over and over too. I really have no idea what the hell could be causing this, and the guys in the store seemed to have never seen this behaviour either. I'm gonna be taking it back in this week for the screen to be upgraded anyway, but if they've already replaced the whole wifi assembly what else can they reasonably do?

Only thing I can think they would do at this point would be a Logic Board replacement. Barring that, I can't say I've seen that before, either.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
One thing I just thought of....Did you re-import your old data after the reinstall? (Meaning did you use the migration wizard?)

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
Hey all, I've been debating on selling my base retina as I have a number of bills that I would like to pay off. I got this as a replacement for my Early 2011 15", and I moved the remaining Applecare over to it (~2 years left).

Does asking for $1800 USD sound unreasonable for the machine?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
I'm selling my 15" MBP Retina in SA-Mart. Still has 18 months of AppleCare. Stupid life changes.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

bows1 posted:

After 2 years of dealing with a terrible issue with my NVidia card in my 2010 Mid-Year 15" MBP, and Apple refusing to say there was an issue, they finally put out a statement that everyone can get a repair.

Getting a new MLB! Woohoo

Do you have the specific article or KB number handy for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
Has anyone run into issues with the internal display when unplugging from a Thunderbolt dock? Whenever I unplug my M3 Pro MBP, my internal display's resolution scaling stops working, and when I go into Displays to fix it, the resolution scaling slider is just gone. This is on Sonoma 14.4 and 14.4.1 with my CalDigit TS3Plus and two monitors.