Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Got my 13" Air i5 256gb today from Best Buy. They are already on sale...

My model is $1,599 everywhere, BB had it for $1,499. I tossed in a few gift cards and left under $1,300.

Of course I've obsessed on the components. There is a lot of chatter about the panels and SSDs Apple is using.

There are two panels: LG/Phillips and Samsung. Consensus = Samsung is the superior panel.

There are two SSD's: Toshiba and Samsung. Consensus = Samsung is much faster.

Of course my new MBA has the LG panel and Toshiba SSD.

gently caress it, I say. It's awesome anyway. I've replaced my 17" MBP and 12" HP EliteBook tablet. I got 256gigs so I can put Windows 7 on a bootcamp partition.

Thank god I ebayed my 2010 13" MBA base model for $999 last week. Unloaded that bitch just in time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kenshirou posted:

Welp, I finally ordered my Mac Mini Server and Magic Trackpad with Saturday delivery from MacMall.

Looking forward to have a Mac for a desktop, as the last one I had was a G5 back in the mid-2000s. This is the first one since then that really had a decent set of hardware for the price, and to be honest I can't wait to have the ability to move it around or take it to work. My MBA 11in has been a great main personal and work computer, though, and I will probably never buy a non-Air laptop ever again after loving this form factor.

(I'm just asking)

Does the "netbook like" feel and tiny screen / resolution (768, really?) bug you about the 11" air?

I like the 13" form factor, but keep eyeballing the 11" in the store. Don't know what it would be like for a 2-3 year usage machine, however. I'd be afraid I'd grow tired of the tiny size.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

movax posted:

..glossy coming from matte will suck, but there's no other choice, really.

The Air's screen isn't matte, but it does have some sort of anti-glare coating that actually works well.

Think of it as in-between matte and glossy.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SmirkingJack posted:

So let me get this straight. If I walk into Best Buy tomorrow and purchase a Kindle With Special Offers for $115 I then get a coupon that day for 20% off of a laptop, such as the 13" MBP and which would save me $227, and I have to use that coupon before September 8th?

Just keep the Kindle. I have the SO 3g version and have more than paid for it over and over from the SO deals Amazon dishes out.

I gave my 20% coupon to a member here in exchange for a Platinum upgrade...I already have a 13" 256gig i5 Air so didn't need another computer. Not to go off topic too much, but SO Kindle is a friggin gateway drug to savings if you use Amazon a lot (or am Prime like most). It's amazing.

Oh, and I read books and stuff on it daily too...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So I got an early 2011 MBP (17", matte) locally today. It had a 750gig 5400 drive in it. Want to replace that ASAP. I have a Samsung 470 128gb SSD lying around and just installed everything on it.

Clearly, I'm going to need more space. Would it be best to re-purpose the 750 gig drive in one of the OWC caddies (or the $14 knockoff) vs. just getting a Seagate 750 hybrid?

Basically I get annoyed with having two drives...always having to separate apps on the SSD and photos/music on the platter. Is there a way to make the 750 join my 128 SSD seamlessly? Or am I going to just have to deal with two separate storage locations?

Ninja edit: I want to install Win7 under BootCamp as well if that makes a difference.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I put a Segate Momentus XT 750gb Hybrid in my Early 2011 17" MBP and it's not sleeping. I cannot get it to spin down at all.

Shame because I like the drive. If I can't figure this out, I'm going to have to return it. Saw something about downgrading the EFI to 1.6 and playing with the sleep settings. Does this work?

Also, forcing sleep from the menu doesn't work. Damnit.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
It's nice that they will give the iPad SIRI (looking forward to it) but has it been confirmed that iOS6 will include SIRI on the iPhone 4? I'd bet people who were going to upgrade to the 4S for SIRI has plateaued, so it would stand to reason they would just integrate SIRI across all Apple mobile devices at this point, no?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I ordered the 15" i7/2.7/16/512 rMBP from Amazon earlier this week. Checked the screen and thank god it's a Samsung (LSN after the terminal command is entered).

This thing cost an arm and a leg, but it's ridiculously awesome. With everything (Parallels, Win8, Office 2013, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc, etc) installed I still have like 460gigs left.

I'll have it for a long time.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 22, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

I would guess she is just seeing websites and apps that have not been properly optimized for the retina display.

Yeah, most apps are pixelated junk on the retina display. I run 1920x1200 full time and it's pretty amazing. Early 2013 15" 512gig version w/16 gigs of RAM.

I like the sharpness of the "best for retina" option, but the text is comically large. And it still doesn't help non-optimized retina apps. Just put it on 1920 x 1200 and enjoy. Quickres is neat, but the full resolution is laughably small.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

KillerMojo posted:

You're adding a layer that insulates the aluminium body that is designed to conduct heat. Your Macbook will get hotter.

What's the consensus on "Invisible Shleid" material + heating? I've always used it to protect the aluminum and make the Macbook less slippery (full body and palm rest - no trackpad application). Use it on my wife's 15" and my 15" retina. Don't notice much difference but always wonder if the rubberized sticker is hampering the heat distribution....

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Edit...my post was silly.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 5, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have a 2013 rMBP (15") loaded to the teeth (the $2,799 version).

Anyone care to enlighten me as to why it takes a full 30 seconds to shut down? It just sits there with a grey screen while it does something. My work Lenovo X230t with a spinning platter beats it by at least 15 seconds.

Not a huge deal, but what in the world? It's blazing fast otherwise...just shutdown/rebooting is slow as hell and I don't understand why that is.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This broke in Mountain Lion.

Thanks. Will just slam the lid closed from now on!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Gnomedolf posted:

I just bought a refurb 15" retina. I went this route because I can get higher specs for less money. Got the one with 16gb ram and 512 ssd for under $2200. Ain't no way I'm getting a new one for close to that.

You will love it. I got mine from Amazon a few months back for $2699. No tax, so that helped (you probably are in with yours for $2350 or so).

As for portability - it's perfect. Hell, I carry it AND my work X230t in my bag daily. No issues at all. Don't even lift. It's really light for what it is, but of course not a feather Air, but I have zero issues lugging both through airports every week.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any weird problems booting windows on a retina MBP?

Like games rendering in weird resolutions or something.

I have Windows 7 on a Bootcamp Partition (15" rMBP) and it's unusable. Windows 7 doesn't scale worth a drat and I have to jack up every individual application to like 175% and it's still janky. Microscopic 2880 resolution. Forcing it to any other resolution is a blurry mess.

I just installed Win 8 via Parallels 9 and it works better, but then again it's virtualized which can be a pain. Works better in that the scaling feature of Parallels works reasonably well ("best for retina" actually does something).

Basically, Windows is pretty terrible on the rMBP because it sucks at scaling properly. At least via Bootcamp.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I'm probably missing something here, but why wouldn't you just set the screen resolution to 1440x900 in Windows?

Because it's a non-native resolution and is blurry as hell.

Yes, it's divisible by 2 (2880x1800) but it is just terrible to look at and not clear at all.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Looking to get my elderly parents a low priced iMac in the $400-$500 range which seems very doable in looking at eBay. Is there a general consensus on reliability for the 2007 - 2010 models? Any particular year better than others or is newer always better?

They need something pretty basic and reliable.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have the newest version of the Time Capsule (2TB version). I get this error every few days on three Macs in my home.

What the hell is going on? Why is it forgetting the backup disk so often (and at all)? I have to manually go in, remove the backup volume, then turn Time Machine back on, then it performs a full, fresh backup. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Is a visit to the Apple Store in my future?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 20, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

If the rMBP is announced this week and has a twelve hour battery, I am buying and will be saying goodbye to my 2012 MBA.

12 hrs? Sitting idle with the screen brightness one notch from off. Running nothing.

I love the OMG 12 HR ratings from computer manufacturers. I know, they merely serve as an indicator as to real-world usage (chop it down ~40% if you are actually using your computer) but the numbers they put out there are pretty funny.

My new Haswell 11 MBA says 9 hrs. I was using it to browse the web at ~70% brightness last night and it was flat after 4 hours.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Was using some flash. Was also the first charge cycle on a new machine. Sorry everyone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cross-posting between both threads, but god drat Mavericks :monocle:

It's really great to see improvements even on ancient hardware. Source.

Do these overall savings require using Safari? Or will using Chrome realize similar energy savings?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Read the OP, didn't see anything wrong with this....so, here it is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772072

Maxed out current gen rMBP (15") up for sale. This Dell XPS I replaced it with better not poo poo the bed.

Buy it, goon.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have a 27" late 2015 iMac w/2tb fusion drive. Went to install bootcamp on it earlier and created a 500gig partition. Rebooted, went to install Windows on the 500gb bootcamp partition and it seemed to break everything. As usual, I formatted the 500gig partition and went to install Windows, and it said "We couldn't create a new parition or locate an existing one." Ok, that's new. I rebooted, went to remove bootcamp and it won't let me. Said something about can't find the partition.

I found some terminal commands via google, tried them in recovery or whatever, nothing worked. I had two separate partitions, including the isolated bootcamp one that I couldn't do anything with.

Ended up finally deleting all partitions, nuking everything and re-installed El Capitan to the 128gig SSD portion of the fusion drive. Now I'm re-installing everything from a time machine backup.

Um, does bootcamp/Windows not work on the fusion drive? Apple's FAQ just says it works fine, but I disagree.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201456

I'm guessing it's because of some issues with the hybrid setup? I'd like to just install bootcamp on a separate 500gig partition, but can't get it to install. Unsure why. Any ideas?

Edit: further reading now suggests my 2tb fusion drive should show as one logical drive...this makes me nervous I broke something. I have two drives, one 128ssd and one 2tb platter. poo poo.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-windows-10-boot-camp-experience-late-2015-imac-5k-fusion-debnam

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 21, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well it looks like OS X isn't capable of repairing a fusion drive setup (to show as one logical partition). I have the joy of trudging through these terminal commands, wish me luck.

(I'm aware this issue quickly turned into haus of tech support, forgive me, I'm done posting here)

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/168723/i-think-i-messed-up-the-fusion-drive-on-my-1tb-imac-with-bootcamp

Edit: Apple stand fixed it right up in 45 minutes. Whew.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 22, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
double post

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Needs to be more flush...traveling with that thing jettisoned out of the machine is asking for it to break. Reminds me of people who keep mouse dongles permanently plugged in to their laptop.

But yeah, its a solution looking for a problem. Just don't string the cable across the room for people to trip on it? IDK, seems logical.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Has the quoted "1,000 cycles" ever been actually achieved in the real world? I always seem to hear issues popping up around half that and batteries totally dying around 500 cycles.

Marketing 101, eh?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have the 2016 gen 1 redesign MBP (15", maxed out).

There is this strange "popping" noise as the computer heats up...internet tells me it's the back lower portion of the display housing expanding and "popping." Sure enough, if I pressed on the back lower portion, it would "pop" indicating frame flex?

Went to DA FRUIT STAND to see what they said. The super smart young man, AKA ~genius~ said he's never heard of this and thought it was really strange...then instantly said "we can replace your entire display under warranty!"

Seemed like a pretty fast offer to do an $800 repair for free for a strange and random issue they have never heard of. I took him up on it and they replaced the whole display, lid, housing, bottom. Basically all aluminum things and the display are now brand new.

Silent recall?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

How is having an issue fixed somehow indicative of a silent recall? if you've got an issue with your laptop and it's under warranty, they're gonna fix it. This isn't unusual for Apple and their eagerness to resolve your issue sounds pretty standard based on my experiences with their customer service. They replaced my late-2013 rMBP with a BTO late-2016 tbMBP and I'm not speculating about some sort of silent recall on my late-2013.

That's why I ended with a "?"

I was asking, but thank you for the schooling. I'm aware Apple bends over backwards, having owned their stuff for like 20 years.

It seems to be a pretty widespread thing with the 2016 MBP (15" at least) so I guess it's a goon PSA to visit Apple before the warranty expires.

Carry on.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
OneDrive sync, just idling, is using like 700mb on my M1 (Air, entry level).

Uses 65mb on wife's 2019 13" Pro.

I understand it's not a native M1 app yet (Office beta is though) but that's kind of...excessive, no?

This machine is ridiculous, though. $899 for the future, today? Yes please.

vv edit: RAM

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 23, 2020

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is this worth the asking price at this point in Early 2024? It's brand new, so that's nice. Sees to be a super good deal for someone like me, who isn't transcoding Hollywood films on his computer. I just want a solid Mac/solid deal to last me the next 6-7 yrs or so.

This it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386872420875?epid=3057321076&itmmeta=01HTTPZEQDAZ3KW69DR8C194JR&hash=item5a1364aa0b:g:SG4AAOSw3Udl-xJk

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mediaphage posted:

looks like a steal to me tbh. if the ram weren’t so high i’d say just buy a new m3 air but you can’t get 32gb and if you could it’d be like 600 bucks lol

Cool, thanks. I HAVE to have those speakers in the 16", as silly as that may sound. They are so, so good. The extra screen space is also essentially required since I multi-task like a crack head.

Probably going to bite before they are gone. I can't seem to find a hole in this theory and with 60-day returns, I might as well.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Holy poo poo. Yeah that’s a good deal. But it up before it’s gone.
Done. Pretty excited about it, really. Can't wait to have a cookie sheet size trackpad :newlol:

Edit: it arrived a few days ago. It is amazing! Looks to be a corporate leftover (was brand new, sealed). The warranty is an Apple Care Enterprise and is valid thru June 17, 2025...so 14 months of warranty. Anyone know if I am safe leaning on this warranty or should I call Apple and have them reset it to the normal 1-year warranty? The seller sold like 180 of them, so I imagine I wouldn't be the only one with this question. I just want to make sure I'm not screwed if something goes wrong and Apple is all "uh, so yeah, you aren't supposed to have this so it's not covered." I don't really care about Apple Care + since I don't break my poo poo, but I do want at least a warranty in case it shits the bed or something. Also, is this enterprise coverage..accidental damage? That would be a welcome surprise if so.

Thoughts?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Hmm, two different answers. Guess I'll reach out to Apple and see what they say.