Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

edit: Also, asking around, it sounds like I'm actually CPU and not hard drive limited anyways.

You're probably hard drive limited as well, they've been bottlenecks forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

How durable is the MBA compared to the MBP?

Can I drop the MBA and throw it around literally every day commuting/travelling? Will the Pro handle slightly more abuse? I am afraid of springing for an MBA as a replacement for the personal cheapo Lenovo I occasionally carry around and then crushing the thing or snapping it in half within a week.

I also have a gutless work issued HP Elitebook 6930p laptop that I have literally beaten the crap out of and now features a shitload of dings and other various gauges on it and - although it is mediocre and slow - still never fails to boot up.

The air can probably handle being banged around more due to like no moving parts in it, other than fans. It's pretty loving durable, but aluminum will dent if you smack it against something.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I wish they'd use the SSD sticks from the Air in their entire lineup of Macs and have no idea why they haven't yet.

It makes so much sense to have the Macbooks Pro with both a platter drive and an Air stick, same for the iMac and Mini...

They're still very expensive, but I would like to see it happen in that potential new macbook pro air mashup.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

pyrotek posted:

I got a used, like-new Macbook Air from Amazon Warehouse Deals a couple weeks ago because it ended up being about $90 cheaper than the Apple Store after taxes, etc. It ended up having a sticker on the computer itself saying it was a refurb, which I'm guessing means it wasn't refurbed by Apple. On top of that, there are only six months left on the warranty when I plug the serial number into the link in the OP, so I guess that is another sign it wasn't refurbed by Apple.

I love it so far, but I'm concerned because the battery capacity is already down to 93% after just 24 cycles (it had 7 on it when I got it.) Isn't it supposed to last 1000 cycles before it gets down to 80%? Should I return it and just go ahead and pay the extra $90 to get a refurb from Apple?

I'm at 99% after 57 cycles on my 2011 MBA-- If it was an apple refurb it would have a new battery in it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

gce posted:

Any reason to not pull the trigger on a 13" refurb MBA right now? From what I've heard, MBAs are getting refreshed until at least mid-summer and refurbs will take at least another month after that.

I think refurbs usually take near 60-90 days to show up in the refurb store- so you're looking at potentially April-June for them to come out, and then potentially September to purchase a refurb.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It probably wouldn't have any problems being backwards compatible, and it would raise the ability to use external graphics + other devices with no drawbacks. Sounds like a good improvement.

They really need to release some external graphics card adapters more quickly...

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Butt posted:

The iMac will not get a retina-class display any time soon. Its counterpart Thunderbolt display is too new, and hi dpi panels of that size would be prohibitively expensive.

Agreed, but the laptops might get hidpi screens. I can't wait to see what the new class of batteries and screens will do to the line. Just hoping its this year and not next.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Not sure about that - the hi-res laptop screens (1440x900 @ 13", 1680x1050 @ 15", and 1920x1080 @ 17") are already 130dpi-ish. The desktop displays would be the ones in line for an upgrade.
Maybe, but 1440p displays are already ahead of everything other than specialized medical monitors. At least hidpi would help to fight off the hundreds of ultra books coming out.

quote:

Although IMO the hi-res screens should be the default resolutions. 1280x800 @ 13"? Get the gently caress out.

Absolutely agree, they should definitely not keep such low res displays on any of their computers.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ppp posted:

1440p isn't 1440x900. Also sony sells a 13" 1080p laptop.

I meant the 27 inch display when he said the desktops would be upgraded before the mobile line.

I know sony has a 1080p 13 inch, and that would be ideal for the new air (for me). I'd like to see 1080p or better across the entire line of laptops.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Gonna shoot someone if I see that $400 Apple RAM thing on Reddit or Facebook again today.

Every other PC maker does the same loving thing.

You don't need to tell us, and the people who are the type to point out those sorts of things don't care. They will conveniently ignore/downvote it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Fat Whale posted:

What mouse do you guys use on your desktop Mac?

Trackpad for browsing
Razer Naga for gaming
Wacom Tablet for photo editing

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

His math is wonky. Look at an iPhone 4/4S and then look at your Mac's display and tell me the Mac isn't pixely as gently caress.

It's times like this that I'm fairly happy that I have lovely vision, even while corrected. I can't see pixels on my 23 inch 1080p monitor until I'm like 7 inches away. Large televisions piss me off, I can see those fairly well.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I ran into an interesting little problem and my usual (windows) diagnosis hasn't gotten me a solution.

I just got a 2560x1440 monitor and displayport --> dual link dvi adapter (monoprice, requires USB for power). When I plug in the adapter, my wifi doesn't work any more. It still says I'm connected to the network, but there is no longer an internet connection. As soon as I unplug the USB, the internet starts to work again.

I've got a 2011 Macbook air and it happens in both of the USB ports.

e: Problem solved: Changed channels my router was broadcasting on. Guess the displayport adapter was putting out too much interference or something.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 14, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Rumors are claiming that production on slimmer 13 and 15 inch MBPs has begun and they'll be out soonish?

Intel already got Apple the new ivy bridge things for production.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 16, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That's what they're most likely doing:

11, 13, 15, 17 inch Macbooks

something like dual core on the 11/13, dual/quad 13/15/17, discrete graphics 15/17

Maybe spinning + SSD on (hopefully 13)/15/17

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Purely anecdotal, but that exact adapter worked fine with my 2011 Air.

No problems with that cable on my 2011 air either

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

Radeon 6650M.

Would feel kinda lame to get a comp thrice as expensive with worse performance. But I miss mac since when I had a mac mini back in the day.

I don't know how to check FPS in Diablo 3, but it's not super smooth. I have the eye candy way down and I say probably 30-40 FPS-- okay enough to play, but with action on the screen there is a little slowdown. In world of warcraft, it'd run at an almost constant 60 FPS though, so it's possible/likely that it's just not super optimized because it's a beta.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

That's a MBP right? Guess I'll hope for a nice refresh soon. Shouldn't apple be losing sales if they don't even try to make their laptops gaming compitable?

I wonder if something like an external GFX carn through that new fancy high speed port would be possible. That could be an awesome compromise on an air.

13 inch i5 4gb 2011 macbook air. I'm just hoping that thunderbolt graphics adapters come out soonish because my air doesn't like gaming at 2560x1440 even with all the eye candy turned down.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

May I ask where you heard this? Everything I've seen looks like July-ish.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/16/slimmer-13-inch-and-15-inch-macbook-pros-reportedly-in-production/

All the usual rumor sites picked it up. Apple got early dibs on the sandy bridge laptop boards last year as well (they have a pretty decent business relationship especially as Apple is helping to push Thunderbolt). It could happen as early as April.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Unless it's the only thing you can afford, I'd say hold out for a 2010 model. That 2008 model only has one USB port and one terribly nonstandard monitor port and uses a PATA SSD, which today is only made by a handful of off-brand manufacturers.

They also have heat problems, the pata SSD is way slower than the SATA ssds in newer models, and they throttle the actual speed of the processor pretty heavily because of the heat.

I would almost rather get a netbook than one.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Sell on eBay, buy on refurb store.

Be careful about selling on eBay-- after ebay + paypal fees + shipping + insurance you're looking at something like 13-15% of the price going away- unless you're a power seller and have lower eBay fees. Always try selling on forums/craigslist first unless you're scared of being ripped off (which still happens on eBay).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whaam posted:

Getting a mac to replace an HP envy 14 as my primary work computer. I travel a fair bit would the current Airs be an acceptable purchase to hook up to my 28" monitor or should I get the macbook pro instead? Work use entails a lot of SSH, web browsers, remote desktop, occasional light photoshop. Also my monitor is HDMI, no DVI.

My 2011 13 air can power a 27 inch 2560x1440 with no problems (I had to pay $60 for an active converter minidp-> dual link dvi though). It can also run the screen on the laptop at the same time. The MBP can do 2 displays out though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mercurius posted:

I've also seen rumours of a 2880x1800 screen bandied about but I'd probably say that's wishful thinking at this point. The HiDPI stuff still hasn't been completely finalised in Lion and Mountain Lion won't be out for a few more months yet so if they are going to try putting a retina screen into the MBP's, I'd expect them to hold off releasing then until ML is out.

I don't know if I see this happening -- we have rumors that production has started and yet nothing regarding a leak on the screens. If there is some crazy display on them, I'd expect the rumors to start flying very soon.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

You need the dual-link DVI adapter ($99) AFAIK

I use the one from Monoprice, $60 and it works well. Occasionally have to unplug/replug after everything is off/asleep.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

I just don't know what they can do, though. The most affordable "high-resolution" for consumers/prosumers is 2560x1600 @ 30" or so (U3011, HP ZR30W, etc), followed by the 27" class and 2560x1440. I feel like information would have leaked very quickly if a panel manufacturer somewhere was spinning up higher-resolution panels for mass-production (via academic professors/grad student network, industry network, etc, someone would have heard something).

It would be awesome if there was a secret high-resolution panel in the works, but it would be incredibly expensive for the GPU hardware to power gaming at those resolutions. The GTX 680/Radeon 7990 are needed to push the latest games at >1080p resolution with eye-candy on.

Moving to 2.5" drives/making thinner makes sense though I suppose, thinner is always sexy.

It's not likely but I think that Sharp and Foxconn just made some big deal, maybe they're going to do something cool.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

New version coming out this month probably, most likely Ivy Bridge, and no, the SSD is attached to the motherboard.

You most certainly can replace the ssd in MacBook airs. Not sure but warranty, but a regular ssd won't fit, it's a super tiny kind (check owc)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Edit: Lots more gathered anecdotal evidence: Amazon and NewEgg reviews started out lovely on those 2.5 Momentus XTs but now they're all mostly 4 stars / eggs with hundreds of reviews processed already. Yes, all manufacturers live in a vacuum and never fix or mod their products once they're out the door. The eventual truth is that anyone who follows that shiat usually gets obviated out of existence by those who do.

To be fair, if you rush out a product (especially such a novel concept) and do it poorly- it will have a reputation for being a poor product. By looking at the reviews, it seems that they're pretty great compared to their initial debut though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

Is there any reason to think the 15" MBPs will be out this month and not rolled out in the Summer alongside the 13" laptops that just entered production?

Additionally, the fact that the 15s are starting to get shipping delays/low stock.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/10/reseller-shortages-hint-at-forthcoming-update-for-15-inch-macbook-pro/

e: vvv Maybe not retina displays, but they might make the default resolution higher and make 1080p an option (or 1080p default). If they change the form factor and get rid of other things, they might not have room to put a battery/gpu which could support that resolution + heat.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 10, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Likely the store re-design since it's a new "store down" thing instead of that sticky note.

I hope it's the new MBPs though!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I'm picking up an iMac tomorrow that has had an SSD installed. Instead of removing the hardware temp sensor during installation, the dude is telling me that he uses software to manage that (to keep the fans from blowing nonstop). Should I just live with whatever software he is talking about, or is it not that hard to open it up and remove the sensor myself?

On a side note, I think I'm getting a good deal. $1100 for a 27" i7 (I think 2.8 ghz), 256gb SSD, 8GB RAM, and he's including a 1 TB external HD too. I recently bought an iMac, let my friend buy it from me after owning it for one day because he needed it more than I did, and then instantly felt regret and started looking for another one. I'm happy to find this deal, though I'm still not sure why I want an iMac at all. I hate using a desktop computer and my plan all along has been to just get an Ivy Bridge Air this summer. For the rare times I need a "desktop experience" like maybe Photoshop or something, the option woulda been there to get a Thunderbolt Display. This all got thrown off track since I got an iPad and feel like I no longer need an Air, so instead of getting an Air that never really leaves my desk (plugged into Tbolt display) it seemed like an iMac made more sense. Uh I'm just rambling now...basically I'd like somebody tell me it's ok to buy an iMac for no reason other than I Want One :suicide:

Do what I did and buy an air and a korean 27 inch IPS. They're less than $350 shipped (you need an active display port --> dual link dvi adapter). Best of both worlds.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Link to said Korean IPS 27?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

All the info, including eBay sellers are in that thread.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mattfl posted:

I'm seriously consider doing this. The air doesn't have any problem driving the monitor? I know you need that $100 adapter too.

I bought the mono price one, but it runs it well. Not great for gaming at 1080 or higher, but that shouldn't be surprising.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
For what it's worth, I have a perfect monitor, no dead/stuck pixels, light bleed, or any nasties. The only annoyance of it is that the stand is poo poo-- As I type on my keyboard, the monitor itself would wobble on the default stand.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mayodreams posted:

6) Aperture went from a professionally oriented and priced application ($299 I think) to $80 on the app store with no major updates for a couple of years..

This actually caused Adobe to drop the price of Lightroom to something far more reasonable. I don't think we can judge the intended audience based on price for this one.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

quote:

2)Video card by way of AJA, Black Magic, or RED. The RED Rocket (loving retarded name) requires 8x PCI-E, which is the most available bandwidth on current gen ThunderBolt

I know it's awesome for editing and is super powerful, but that loving name makes me giggle all the time. Why would they name it that...

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Just saw this posted in the monitor thread:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/14/sharp-rolls-out-high-res-igzo-lcds-destined-for-tablets-laptops/

Any chance the new MacBooks would have retina displays, or is this not enough lead time for something like that?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

triplexpac posted:

When you're ordering, there's no way to change the configuration of a refurb iMac from the Apple store, right?

Nope- you've got to wait until one with the specs you want is available.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The problem with the cheapest MBAir is the 2gb of nonupgradeable RAM. The storage issue isn't the worst issue for lots of people, but 2gb is already the lowest I would realistically ever go RAM wise, and you probably wanna keep it for at least a year or two.

That being said, no harm in picking it up and trying it out. If it runs like poo poo for your uses, return and buy the more expensive one.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

If the MBA starts swapping because its out of RAM, at least it'll be swapping to a SSD, not a mechanical drive, FWIW. 8GB MBA would be approaching perfection.

8gb MBA and thunderbolt gpu device coming out would be perfection for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

For most games this should be fine, but don't expect your iMac to run high-end graphics on games released years from now..

For what it's worth, the thunderbolt gpu peripherals should be out within the year, so if you want to keep the same iMac and breathe some life into it in a year or three, $300 or so for the peripheral and a middle class gpu should be good. For that reason, I'd avoid the extra money spent on a 2gb video card.