Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

There's customizing to suit your needs, and then there's thinking you know how to manage temperatures in a laptop better than Apple engineers.

The whole thing is a heatsink guys, I'm pretty sure the fans aren't really necessary. Dude probably even gets an extra 5 minutes of battery life without all those garbage fans sucking up energy too. Sarcasm.. just in case it wasn't obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Shin-chan posted:

If that 1/2 lb makes the difference between you lifting your laptop to put it in a travel bag start lifting weights buddy. :cheeky:

Extra 1/2 lb here and there in a messenger bag really can stress your back/shoulder over time.

I don't think the 13 rMBP is really worth it until the next refresh, but I'm also not the target for it- so I prefer an MBA to it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think most businesses/professionals who would use a mac pro would use a hackintosh for their work. They're generally pretty stable, but when every bit of downtime or trouble potentially costs you a lot of money, it's better to pay more and get a secure and stable machine. For the record, I've been exclusively using a hackintosh and it's been extremely stable over the past 6 months - but occasionally my stock trading program will crash, and it never did on my macbook air- but that could be coincidental with newer versions of java causing problems, not necessarily the machine.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

etalian posted:

So looks like the Haswell Retina models got delayed?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/20/next-generation-13-inch-macbook-pro-benchmarked-with-modest-performance-gains/

Looks as if it's going to be a silent refresh? Modest speed upgrade probably mean the same excellent increase in battery life.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

As mentioned a few months back:
Fiber-optic Thunderbolt (20 meters)
Now you just have to get someone in Japan to buy it for you, since they won't ship elsewhere.

Wow wow wee wow- $860~ USD for the 20 meter cable.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Pseudo-God posted:

I'd really love to run two of these. The ultimate desk setup! Too bad I am poor as poo poo.

I do that and it's awesome. Going to get a third within the year, hopefully.

If you do anything that makes the real estate worth spending the money, it's so worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

It's totally an effect of PSU load / transients, I'm just disappointed because I hold Apple to a higher standard of engineering and they messed up something simple. :(

My Lenovos all screech when you load the 5V rail which is also extremely disappointing, but I don't hold them to the same expectations as Apple.

Yeah I looked up the issue and it doesn't look like it was "only" a bad batch of PSUs - lots of people have noted the issue, but it doesn't appear to be something that geniuses acknowledge and replace - from what I saw.