Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

blah_blah posted:

It's a shame that there are no reasonably priced 3TB FW800 externals; I'd like the WD 3TB studio drive but it's literally twice the price of the WD 3TB USB 2.0 drive. I don't care a ton about the difference in transfer speed but I can't really afford to sacrifice the extra USB port on my MBP.

Huh? Where is there a WD 3TB FW800 drive for $400? Because their USB 2.0 model is $199.99. Disregard, I guess, if you're suffering from some weirdo exchange rate. In the US, at least, their 3TB FW800 drive is $249.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why are the odds slim? Portal isn't exactly the most hardware demanding game, and the engine has been optimized for OSX.

Exactly. It'll easily be playable. I played L4D/L4D2 on mine just fine; I think I mentioned framerates in my review (somewhere on notebookreview.com).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Apple completely replaced my semi-liquid damaged (out of warranty) MBP for the $280 flat rate, complete with the installation of the previously undamaged hard drive. What the gently caress?

They recently waived $800 of parts and labor on a damaged 2010 11-inch Air that didn't have accidental damage or anything (it wasn't my fault, but that's beside the point).

blah_blah posted:

(Canada) The 3TB elements (USB 2.0) drive usually retails for $130 and I've seen it for $110 on sale, I think. The FW800 drive is retailing for $230, Newegg has it for $200 right now + $11 shipping.

You are so far mistaken it's unreal. I'm not trying to be a dick, but naked 3TB drives still cost more than that. You might have seen a really good sale, but they absolutely do not retail for $130. I don't think they even put those drives in the Elements line.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 21, 2011

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Does anyone know if Apple still charges a restocking fee for opened laptops, specifically in Canada? I know they did in the past, but I keep reading they ditched it in January whenever I try to find anything about it, mostly because all the search results that come up are blog posts from early January talking about it. I've trawled through a bunch of forum posts, and most replies are written by people either remembering the blog posts they read in January, or the long history of restocking fees.

All language about restocking fees has been removed from their Canadian Returns & Refunds and Sales and Refund Policy pages, but a general Apple Store Purchase Policies page in their legal documents I was only able to find with Google still has the cryptic "10% restocking fee will apply to any non-defective item that requires Apple to perform rework prior to resale".

I ask because I am thinking of getting an MBA to qualify for that $100 app store card in the next hour, and I am dumb and didn't call their customer service before they closed at 8. I'm not 100% sure whether I can live with a 13" laptop for all my use, so it would be good to know I can return it without paying out the rear end.

I vote get it regardless. The MBA is so good that using regular laptops just feels like a burden after that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

blah_blah posted:

Yeah, I just posted that one because it was clearly the non-sale price. Not sure why he's getting all upset over it. In other words, in practice they end up being half the price of the Studio LX drives, just like I said.

I'm not getting upset at all, just pointing out the ridiculousness of the pricing. That is a really abnormal price that not even Amazon matches (Newegg does now, though) - just a few weeks ago I certainly couldn't get that storage for that price. It's just weird considering how much their internal drives cost. I honestly do not understand why they're so cheap. Amazon hast a list price of $190, while Newegg has a list price of $170; I wonder if they updated the Elements line then are just selling off some of the stock at lower prices - but maybe not, Hitachi matches that price, but the other storage people don't seem to. It's honestly just weird. W/e, clearly I got this one wrong, I guess, but I still don't understand it.

japtor posted:

The only real caveat with the Air for your use would be the 4GB RAM but for "small amounts" of Lightroom and "a little bit" of Illustrator it should handle it no problem (barring Adobe possibly sucking things up).

Yeah, I have a 2GB Air and run into problems in Photoshop, occasionally, but I think a 4GB would be a lot better.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 21, 2011

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jolan posted:

My new iMac just arrived minutes ago, and while I was being all giddy and clearing space on my desk, I knocked over my drink onto my old MacBook. I shut it down immediately and at first glance it seems it only got lightly splashed, so I guess it'll be fine. But just to be sure: what's the best way to make sure there's no residual fluid left anywhere?

I hope it'll be allright. I was hoping it'd make its fifth anniversary next year. :ohdear:

Can you remove the battery? Also, if you have the right screws, pop off the back cover.

Open it and flip it upside down onto some absorbent surface. Let it sit for a day, blow a fan on it. If it was still working when you powered it off, you will be fine. Just make sure it's dry before you turn it back on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Auriak posted:

Okay, thanks a lot for the quick response! I figured worst case scenarion, RAM is pretty cheap these days so if it doesn't work then no worries.

I assume it should have no problem running Lion? (especially if I upgrade the RAM to 4GB or 8GB)

Granted, I don't use a ton of Apple hardware, but I'd be surprised if the RAM doesn't work -- most times it downclocks just fine. Let's go 0 for 2, haha.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

blah_blah posted:

Most indications seem to be that it doesn't; I have 4GB of PC3-10600 from my MBP to sell, and most of the links that I've googled indicate that it's very hit or miss and refuses to downclock (probably because Macs don't have a proper BIOS).

In any event, 4GB of PC3-8500 is under $30 these days.

That is super dumb.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

brc64 posted:

At home, the Air is my primary. It sits next to my recliner and is up and running in a matter of seconds. And with my recent discovery of OnLive, could end up also becoming my "PC gaming" machine as well. I still keep my Windows 7 desktop around, and it's useful for when I need more viewing space, such as working on my online classes, but for the most part, everything I do is on my Air.

Work is a completely different story.

It's not good enough for OnLive because it doesn't have a hard wired Ethernet connection - which definitely makes a difference. If someone ever comes out with a Thunderbolt --> Ethernet connector that actually ships, it'll be great.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

brc64 posted:

OnLive bitches about being on wifi, but on my Wirelss N connection it works just fine. I haven't actually purchased anything, but every demo I've played has worked perfectly. But I definitely need to plug in an external mouse, because the trackpad just doesn't cut it for gaming.

Good on you I suppose, though I have noticed some latency issues. Obviously, it doesn't really compare to the lag introduced due to the medium itself. OnLive is pretty outstanding, all told, and I can't wait to see where else they go.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dissss posted:

You really can't go wrong with the IPS Dell models, the only real complaint I've heard is they have TOO MUCH anti-glare coating (which sounds like it won't be an issue here).

HP's new releases should be looked at, too. Reasonable price, billion color reproduction, LED backlighting, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If you do find that the glare is a problem for you, both HP and Dell make 27-inch displays with the same panels, and I believe both are finished with a matte surface.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

They just don't make one with a computer built into it.

Not at the moment, but the question did also suggest the Cinema Display (which is actually now called the Apple Thunderbolt Display).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

They still sell the Cinema Display along with the Thunderbolt Display.

Oh yeah, but i figure it's just a matter of time until they discontinue them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

/derail

This works way too often. A really attractive female friend of mine has the habit of buying running shoes, using them for a couple of months...and then returning them, because they "don't really fit". She always gets her money back. Every single time.

I'm not an attractive dude and Apple waived $800 of repairs to my MacBook Air.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It has an HDMI output and Thunderbolt output, so you can do at least two.

You should theoretically be able to chain two Thunderbolt displays together, too, can't you?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Woop, 500GB Momentus XT hard drive and 4 gigs of ram show up so that I can upgrade my basically free 2008 macbook's 160 gig 5400rpm drive and 2 gigs of ram, and what do happens?

First, the screw holding the hard drive in snaps my (admittedly cheap) screwdriver, so I move to the next size up I have.

Which stripped the screw almost instantly. I really have poo poo luck replacing laptop hard drives (and I need better screwdrivers).

Thankfully the screw was big enough that my extractor was able to pull it out, but I've just got the hard drive taped in there pretty well for now. Anyone know if there's a good way to get a replacement screw, or should I just tough it out until I head to the Chicago area in December and hope I have time to stop by an apple store (Middle of South Dakota here, there isn't a genus bar for a loooong ways).

They aren't magic screws. Just find another one that fits.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ieatsoap6 posted:

Alright, I'm looking at getting a lower-end (i5) MBP in the next few weeks, but I have a couple questions first:

1. I've got an older iMac (iMac 7,1) as my desktop. According to Apple, this won't be supported for AirDrop. If they're on the same network, would I be able to wirelessly transfer files? As I understand it, the thing with AirDrop is that it doesn't require the computers to be hooked up to the same network.

1.a. On that note, is there any way to convince AirDrop to work for my iMac, despite it being older and not officially supported? Obviously I'd have to upgrade to Lion (currently on Snow Leopard), but after that...?

2. I'm mostly planning on using the MBP as a general email/internet/writing papers computer; I don't intend to do any heavy movie editing or anything. At the same time, I may be interested in a bit of gaming (think TF2). Would the i5 model suffice for this? If not, would it be better to shoot for an i7 or upgrade the RAM?

Honestly knowing your intended usage I'd really go after a MacBook Air instead. Faster drive, slower CPU, higher resolution (compared to the 13-inch model) and massively more portable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

What are my options to give my old 2007 2.2Ghz 2GB RAM MacPro some more life? Do they still even make RAM for this model or even a hard drive? I've filled it completely to the brim and that's after moving my music and old files onto a backup drive. I need to keep it going until I find a job that actually pays me enough for some extra change. I'm still pretty happy with it, but the speed is really starting to get to me, especially when working in CS5.

You could get a big SSD to use as your main boot drive and/or your CS5 scratch drive.

RAM isn't a problem; I wasn't quite sure which system you have, but it should take DDR2, with a max of 4GB per slot, or 32GB total. Since most computers now use DDR3, DDR2 will likely be pricier for you if you really want to keep the upgrades going. If you can find some cheap RAM, though, this and a decent SSD will give you a good bit more life if you're otherwise happy with the current performance levels.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

kuskus posted:

Did you just forecast / justify an "iMac Air" sans HDD/DVD and bottom chin? Basically a "complete" Thunderbolt Display? It makes so much sense that I have a head-smack moment a la hearing that Mountain Lion exists after Lion. I mean it did 3 years ago but now there's little left to the imagination. Except, what– touch swivel and Siri?

It's a logical extension of the line, especially since the Mac Minis no longer have them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

That new HP workstation AIO looks terrible, but they do have a point that in a corporate environment you can't expect to have to send things to Apple for repair all the time...sometimes your field services team will need to have the ability to replace a hard drive.

The Z1 looks great, it's just a bit thick...which is fine, considering out easy it is to open up, rip everything out, and replace it. It's really impressive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

Admittedly I'm relatively new to Apple computers, but the computer scientist in me says that it should be as simple as using the disk utility to format the drive as FAT32 or HFS+.

Ding!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

They have Thunderbolt ports (except for one model), end of story (as far as Apple's concerned)

Apple is still sticking pretty solidly to the "Not Invented Here, Not Installed Here" policy, they've only caved in on USB and SD card slots so far.

Firewire and Thunderbolt are both pretty much Apple's babies. I doubt Apple would ever put in eSATA ports on anything.

I'm not surprised about eSATA since it's a dumb standard. No power? wtf.

What wouldn't surprise me is if they'd taken the eSATAp stuff early on, but I guess they were still pro-FireWire back in the day.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

flyboi posted:

Seriously am I the only one that gets poo poo like this on external displays?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii8RLpFaneU

Happened with my Hackintosh, Mac Pro and now iMac.

I've never had that issue, either, on my MBA, Mac Mini, or the bf's MBA, MB or iMacs.

Also for gently caress's sake, stop taking video like that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Why can't I buy a desktop Mac that has that has similar power to MacBook Pros, but doesn't have the price of a MacBook pro?

Or: why can't I buy an iMac without a monitor attached?

What are you going to do with this hypothetical desktop that the Mac Mini can't do?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Edit photos. Specifically, 25mb raw files (and possibly larger depending on the next Canon 5d file size) in LR and Photoshop.

Isnt that limited to 8 gb of ram? More processing power would be nice, too.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3_1333

Yeah, as said, 16GB. Also, if you spring for the server model, you could get a quad-core CPU - but you'd be limited to integrated graphics instead of discrete.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My 27" iMac is soon to be two generations old after the upcoming refresh, and it still absolutely flies in Aperture and Photoshop CS5. It's only a lowly quad-core i5 750, but I upped it to 8GB of RAM and threw in a 256GB SSD and now I imagine I'll keep it at least another 2 years.

Yeah. If the maxed Mac Mini is still insufficient, that's what the iMac is for.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 29, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

So unless you have a video card with multiple DisplayPorts on it, you're hosed when it comes to using your old Display Port monitors.

Can you explain what you mean here? I'm trying to figure out how this is Apple's/Thunderbolt's fault.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

petewhitley posted:

and it's also the reason something like Hulu isn't a viable alternative

Check out http://www.unblock-us.com.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Give me a 13" Air with a black bezel and call it a Pro and we have a deal, Tim/Jony.

I want a lightweight 15-inch mbp with little to no bezel.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

I really want to buy an iMac within the next month or two, but like most of you, I'm waiting for WWDC. Most of the rumblings I've heard have centered around the MacBook, though. Say there's no new desktop announced, I'll probably still want an iMac over the laptops just because of screen size.

For someone who uses their computer solely for internet browsing, listening to music, and watching TV/movies, is there any real reason to spring for a solid state drive? I know they're faster/safer, but I don't think I'll be doing anything very taxing on the computer, so I'd rather save the money if the difference felt is negligible. Hopefully there is a refresh coming within the month, but who knows if SSD will be standard.
Yes, yes, oh my god, yes. The difference is obscene. SSDs push latency down to an imperceptible level. Things launch no instantaneously. It is my favorite upgrade.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Dell showed their new 27" iMac copy and it looks ok. Ivy bridge, Blu Ray, etc. Hopefully Apple will hurry the gently caress up.

It's really nice; the build quality is superb. Plus, it's the only real competition for the 27-inch iMac since it's actually got the same 1440p LCD...the HP Omni 27 and the planned Lenovo, as well as all e ASUS ones, I believe, stick to 1080p panels to keep costs down.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

You should have gotten an SSD. People talking about how 8GB made their Macbook faster don't know what they're talking about.

First step is replacing that dog-slow 320GB 5400rpm drive with an SSD.

Truth. What's more, you don't need a super expensive drive to reap the benefits since even current low end models will offer nigh zero access times in comparison with traditional hard drives.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

penneydude posted:

HP also makes this, which is 2560x1440.

Yes, sorry! I neglected to mention the Z1 since it is really not consumer-focused.

Really awesome, though, just the same; I played with it a while back. It has this awesome gas-piston that keeps the screen raised so that you can work on it - all the internals can be pulled out. Cool, but pricey. The Dell at least is starting at $1399.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I have an old HP laptop with a dying HDD that I use to surf the internet while watching tv. I sometimes take it with me on trips to surf the internet and watch videos that my iPad1 isn't able to play. I want a new retina screen Macbook Pro. Someone tell me this is a bad idea before I spend $2,500 on it.

Just buy an 11-inch Air. It's perfect for this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mikey triumph posted:

About to buy the 2012 Macbook Air 13 base model. Is the upgrade from 4 to 8 gigs worth $100? It seems like it wouldn't be for the things a typical consumer would use the Air for, which I think would be similar to me: Office suite productivity, light photoshopping, watching HD shows/movies on a TV through the display port. The 4 gigs of ram aren't upgradeable later so that is a factor too. What do you think?

A fine purchase, but you're going to get asked - is there a reason you're going with the Pro over the Air? The screen is substantially worse, fyi.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I think he just missed a "not" in there. "Is there a reason you're not going with the Pro over the Air?"

Nope! I'm just tired and stupid, and misread it as MBP instead of MBA. :downs:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I went in and played with the rMBP tonight. Yeah. Pretty great.

I have a feeling that for me, the new display is going to be an experience similar to the one I had with the new iPad - that the screen wasn't OH MY GOD amazing from the get-go; but after using it for a time, regular iPads felt kinda gross.

I'm a little concerned, going from an 11-inch Air up to the 15-inch rMBP, especially after swearing I'd never get another gently caress-all huge laptop. The fact that it weighs well under 5 pounds assuages things a bit, however, and I really do need something more powerful than the Air. I think I'll get used to the added weight since it's the weight, and not the size, that really annoys me about big laptops.

Can't wait until the next shipment arrives! Hopefully tomorrow.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DannoMack posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be ordering from the apple site. Now I get to decid things like air or pro and screen size and memory, which is the fun part. :)

Edit: sorry to be the annoying rear end in a top hat who can't make up his mind without getting input from everyone but these two are about in my price range: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC965LL/A and http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FD313LL/A

One's an air and one's a pro. I was planning on getting an air because I assumed they were more for civilian use, and I could always get an external DVD drive if I needed it. However, with the pro being the same price for what I always assumed was a superior machine, is there any reason I shouldnt just get the pro?

Again sorry for being a dummy, it's just the guys at the apple store are intimidating and you guys aren't.

Get the Air. The Pro isn't going to give you more than a better CPU - not to be completely dismissed, but.

The Air is much lighter, has a much better display (1440x900 vs 1280x800), Thunderbolt (iffy), etc. Plus that 128GB SSD. That alone will make it seem *much* faster than the Pro. I really recommend you get the Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

There's a comparison here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/faceoff-13-macbook-pro-vs-13-macbook-air/

The Pro has a faster base and turbo CPU speeds. But if you're looking for the fastest you can get, you'll have to step up to a 15" and get the quad-core.

You can flat-out store more on a Pro. You can put another hard drive in place of the optical drive, so you could have 2x1TB platter drives or you can even throw a 512GB SSD in there if you want. Another good thing about the Pro is you can add up to 16GB of RAM, and you can install the RAM/SSD later down the road - as they get even cheaper and when you need them.

The Pro also has more ports and the DVD drive, so one of those might make or break the Air for you.

It's worth pointing out that neither of those machines are the ones he's comparing, since he's working with refurb models.

krooj posted:

Must just be me, but when I played with one at the Eaton's Centre yesterday, I came away with the feeling that OS X felt "off" when scaling kicked in. It felt like those retarded factory preloads from PC manufacturers where the font DPI is altered from the norm. When I set the display to it's maximum allowable rez, things were just too small. IMHO, an oddball machine, and I don't get it. Much rather they'd released a "regular" MBP sans optical drive, but with the standard 2.5" SATA form-factorb @7mm and upgradable RAM.

Also, what's up with MagSafe 2? The connector seems to have reverted back to a non-reinforced style that made the original so famously bad.

I didn't really get that feeling at all. I don't think people are generally terribly used to seeing OS X at such absurdly small dimensions, honestly. Also, if the issue is with the machine at the maximum allowable resolution, why not keep it at defaults? Then it's like a normal MBP but with an outstandingly sharp display.