Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

trilobite terror posted:

Apple had a choice between “enable the iPad to reach its full potential and risk making less money in the short term but possibly more/more stable money in the long term” and “make the iPad hobbled and awkward but shore up short-term platform control and earnings” and they chose the latter, which I don’t entirely blame them for as a business but it sure does suck as an end-user.

i think it’s a huge assumption to say that well ipad with macos would sell even better. i think a few loud hardcore users want it and nobody else cares, like with the iphone mini. if you think the ipad is awkward now…i think it would be more awkward actually running macos

anyway i also think it’s telling that this admittedly mac-focused thread is incapable of considering what other people might use a tablet for other than media consumption.

i think the ipads are really good internet-connected media devices, of course. but theyre also great for sketching with the stylus, giving a presentation, doing photo editing, writing, remoting in to check on other stuff, zoom, etc

Branch Nvidian posted:

Then maybe Apple should stop marketing it as a laptop replacement. Trying to use an iPad like a laptop is extremely frustrating and I'd rather just use a MacBook instead.

a lot would, but a lot would also do fine with it. if you’re not an office type, or even if you are but in something like sales or an exec the ipad is about all the computer you need.

like great it’s not the computer for you but that doesn’t mean it’s completely impossible to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there’s literally a post above you wanting that thing. this is a conversation with multiple people

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

For sure. My dad uses the hell out of his iPad Pro for all kinds of stuff, to the point that he tends to forget that he has a macbook he could be using for stuff. I know part of my frustration is decades of usage patterns designed around a "real" operating system, which is what makes the limitations of the iPad stick out to me so much when I'm just trying to do something that I feel is basic computer usage. I do find it somewhat misleading and/or ingenuous that Apple advertises the iPad as a laptop replacement generally though due to the limitations it has. The addition of the Files app and things like stage manager and having multiple apps on screen at the same time shows that it is getting closer to being a laptop replacement, but it's still not quite there yet.

sure i super feel you about overcoming decades of usage patterns - i wouldn’t want to go without a more traditional computer at this point in time

but i’m not sure that apples marketing of the ipad is all that deceitful; by your own post it seems like it works fine for your dad lol. i think outside of some specific use cases (like programming (lol at the ipad pro not having xcode); while you can remote in that feels like cheating) the ipad is more than enough computer for probably 90% of people

i bet people raised with ios and ipados (and aren’t pc gamers) couldn’t give a fig

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Warbird posted:

This isn't a Mac thing per se, but I figure someone here might have some insight. I'm visiting some family and they appear to have a cursed wall outlet. The trackpad on my mac is flakey when charging off of it on multiple cords and chargers and my Windows laptop's trackpad straight up stops working. My BiL confirms that he has similar issues on his MBP but had attributed it to age.

So that's fuckey wiring but does anyone suspect as to the nature of the fuckey-ness? Bad grounding?

i mean i’d be taking a multimeter to it

when you plug in your mac are you using a two- or three-prong plug? maybe this has changed but in my old condo the difference was very noticeable

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

did whatever outlet tester you used report that it was successfully grounded?

imo either it’s a whole house grounding issue or there’s some weird not quite sine wave thing happening

do the occupants report any other kind of electrical issues or things dying early

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

right i guess i didn’t know what exactly the outlet tester tests. i’ve never used one just a multimeter.

definitely sounds like either a house or neighbourhood thing tho

probably not worth it for a short trip but if this is somewhere you’ll visit often might consider a small ups to bring along next time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i feel like i have come across this issue in years past so i wonder if its less a tb dock thing and more some disconnecting displays bug deep in macOS

anyway this isn't an answer or anything, but i really like quickres (of course i bought it for $4 in 2014 and it's now $15 so less of a snap decision maybe) if you can't figure out a better solution

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it doesn’t seem like this is a wireless interference issue since it works fine in the beginning. wonder if there’s some bluetooth sleep function but going on

haven’t noticed but i’ve only used apple bluetooth accessories with it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Is this worth the asking price at this point in Early 2024? It's brand new, so that's nice. Sees to be a super good deal for someone like me, who isn't transcoding Hollywood films on his computer. I just want a solid Mac/solid deal to last me the next 6-7 yrs or so.

This it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386872420875?epid=3057321076&itmmeta=01HTTPZEQDAZ3KW69DR8C194JR&hash=item5a1364aa0b:g:SG4AAOSw3Udl-xJk

looks like a steal to me tbh. if the ram weren’t so high i’d say just buy a new m3 air but you can’t get 32gb and if you could it’d be like 600 bucks lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Cool, thanks. I HAVE to have those speakers in the 16", as silly as that may sound. They are so, so good. The extra screen space is also essentially required since I multi-task like a crack head.

Probably going to bite before they are gone. I can't seem to find a hole in this theory and with 60-day returns, I might as well.

it’s not silly at all, i get the importance of good sound lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait you can bypass iCloud lock just by erasing the Mac in recovery mode? Isn’t the whole point of iCloud lock to prevent this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhj2zMFNshw

mdm provisioning (enterprise management), not icloud lock. you can’t really get past the latter without a password or showing apple a receipt

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

How do you check if a Mac has mdm enabled?

ask, or wait for it to show up and look

i mean there’s a more than good chance it’s fine since it was from a former employer and presumably works ok

it’s a friend right? this should be easy to handle in either outcome

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Long distance trusted goon. I’d rather they take care of it before sending to me

either way i’d expect it to be obvious

just have them reinstall the os or whatever if you want to be super sure. there are some steps you can take to check but that one seems the most complete

anyway here’s a good reddit post about it

https://old.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/10v8btl/how_to_know_if_your_mac_has_mdm_profile_installed/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

uh it sounds like it mostly works so i’d say no.

if you aren’t comfortable taking it apart and cleaning it, take it to a repair shop to do it or give it to someone willing to put in the work

it sounds like recycling it would be a waste

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

or send it to me, ill gladly pay shipping lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you can also buy something that has pass through power delivery. then you can just use an apple charger with your adapter. plug that into an anker hub or whatever, which plugs into your macbook. it’s what my spouse uses

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well why not posted:

pretty sure I want a midnight MBA. Any issues with that finish? It looks kinda fingerprinty, not sure I care though.

doesn’t seem to be much of an issue for the one my so uses

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

or just own it, that is going to look like poo poo on a blue air

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you’d need to wipe after every single use. even so if just take the wear. it’s fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TACD posted:

I just make sure I have clean hands when using my laptop and give the surfaces an occasional clean with a glasses wetwipe 🤷🏻

that’s great but just normal sebum and the like can cause this over time. it’s not about being clean or dirty.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Not me grumbling that the new iPad Pro out performs my 14" M3 Pro MacBook Pro for less money.

yeah i guess all those geekbench benchies you run on your mbp will look anemic in comparison

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

At least the MacBook has a calculator app.

but this fall!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah there’s the weird 13-inch mbp sku that’s historically been computationally more like an air than the rest of the pro lineup

iirc it was their most popular model (or nearly) because of university students buying it but i’d be surprised if that still holds true

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

agreed with the above post. plus imo there’s a real chance to make siri more capable in terms of responding to conversational commands and reading out facts

semirelatedly since they changed the keyword to just siri i’ve found that it is much less reliable at catching my voice commands

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TACD posted:

Lol getting a GPT to reliably output facts would be massive progress

agree, what i mean is to retrieve the facts and use the model to present them in a more user friendly manner. the model ideally wouldn’t be responsible for doing more than adding a conversational layer which is one of the things they actually excel at

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

One change is, the iPhone 15 has enough NPUs to let Siri do it's work locally. That means Siri can see your health data and answer questions about it. When it had to hit a cloud service for some of its processing, that was a major privacy issue.

yeah it’s nice to see more stuff done all on-device

i’m not going to have an iphone 15 for a long time tho lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

My shower thought of the day, apropos of nothing:

Outside of the "obviously they want you to buy an iPhone and tether" angle, I find it really weird that you can't get a MacBook with an eSIM cell upgrade. That would be an insta-add for just about every business user I can think of. I'm not sure there's really space constraints in a laptop case but what do I know.

i think it’s your first point really. now that you can just select your iphone from the wifi drop-down menu it’s pretty seamless most of the time.

there’s definitely room for it especially these days if they wanted to make it happen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t think premium has anything to do with it; they could just throw in unlocked esims but the cost to engineer it isn’t worth the few extra pickups they’d get since as discussed most people have no problem tethering with the buckets of data people finally get these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Wouldn't this be equally true of iPads? How often do people take their iPad somewhere while not carrying their phone?

well partially they've already done all the work so it's easy enough to just keep trucking (and certainly in the beginning the ipad and the iphone weren't that different). when ipads were introduced i think only one in five americans owned a smartphone, for example, and data plans weren't what they are today - the unlimited AT&T plan introduced with the first ipad was a powerful draw, imo

if ipads were introduced for the first time today i'd give it even odds on whether they'd bother putting a cellular modem as an option

these days the biggest reason i personally would consider a cellular ipad is that it has standalone GPS functionality independent of the availability of cellular networks, which makes it nice to use in the car when travelling (yes my iphone can do this but maps look so much nicer on a bigger screen :V)