Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mu Zeta posted:

Took it to an Apple Store today and they swapped me a Magic Trackpad :)

Is the Apple mouse really that bad?

My USB one is seriously old (mousewheel barely works), and I plan to get either a bluetooth mouse or trackpad for my Mini, to free up the port.

I just want something that scrolls well. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Or set up a BootCamp - Win 7 partition just for Steam, like I did.
Just make sure to upgrade the RAM, regardless of cpu. 4gb ain't enough.

The i5 Mini runs Valve games/Torchlight 2 just fine, which covers most of my :pcgaming: needs.
I generally only get what doesn't come out on console (cause I love my XBL bros :respek: ), so it's mostly casual/sim fare.
In Canada, the refurb mini's price was actually competitive with BB's AMD shitboxes, but obviously better build quality.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 19, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I wish they's included a drive in the current Mini.
I really want to rip all my DVDs and CDs for Plex/XBMC.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Does "CAS latency" and timing matter when upgrading RAM?
What about "matched pairs"?
What's the difference between CL9 and CL11?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 17, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Adding to what's been said, to try to give you a better idea of what these numbers mean, CAS latency refers to the number of memory clock cycles between the computer asking the RAM to read data from an open page, and the RAM actually beginning to clock out data. Smaller numbers are faster.

Although CAS latency is given in cycles, when operating RAM at a different frequency it's possible to adjust the CL setting to keep the true delay roughly constant. For example, if you install 1600 MHz CL12 memory in a computer which only supports 1333 MHz memory clocks, it can run at CL10 without exceeding its specifications since both configurations work out to a CL of 7.5 nanoseconds. The computer's firmware often makes this kind of adjustment for you (and in Macs, you have no choice but to rely on it doing so).

If you're worried about performance, match the memory speed to what your computer supports, choose better than bottom tier CAS latency, and install matched pairs. The returns for spending more money diminish rapidly.

My local stores are charging different prices for them, so I figured I'd get the cheapest. I'm just worried about compatibility mainly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I watch Twitch all the time using Chrome and everything is fine. I never hear my fans go up, though I'm on an iMac.

Yeah, Twitch keeps loving up in Safari on my Mini, so if I want to watch Salty Bet even at it's modest 480p I need to switch to Chrome.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Having an 8gb stick and a 2gb stick of RAM in my Mini isn't a big deal, is it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Which key is the Option Key on a normal keyboard?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Will I need a wired keyboard and mouse for when I attempt to use a USB key to install El Capitan, to a brand new, nothing on it HDD, to my Mac Mini (2012)?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, poo poo.

Will I need to format my brand new HDD beforehand too, or will it do that as part of the process?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The (fresh) El Capitan install on a new HDD went without a hitch.

Also, my Track Pad worked, so a USB mouse is unnecessary, and it saved my Wi-Fi settings. Didn't try my keyboard since I unplugged the dongle though.

How do I turn three finger dragging back on? I can't find it in the three trackpad tabs.

v - Thanks. I don't understand why it isn't in the Trackpad icon in System Preferences with the rest.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 6, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sorry I totally thought I summarized it but I must've deleted by mistake.

Well the problem isn't that, which is expected, it's the fact it seems to be hitting 100f temps and getting absolutely hosed by things that the i3 doesn't seem to have issues with during regular rear end day to day stuff. I rolled my eyes when he brings up some of his examples, and I'm certainly not going to run loving Chrome of all things (and 4K YouTube videos), but if I'm just siting there with a few Safari tabs open and dicking about I don't need my laptop to be reacting worse than one that was cheaper. But yes, it's a YT guy who wants to make $ off his videos, which is why I'm asking here as I know people have received their units now and most plumped for the upgrade.

And I've had MBPs and MBAs before, so I know the use cases for both and I really don't need a Pro these days. I do some Lightroom editing every so often, but nothing crazy and if I can edit on a 4GB/2011 MBA I can't see that changing with the 2020 even with the Retina screen.

Here's a rebuttal video to Max Tech showing that yes, you can run a bunch of tabs while streaming video, writing emails, the calculator, etc. and using Chrome while not hitting 95C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abRJ_KzBeyE

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

Why is chrome so terrible anyway? you’d think they’d have their poo poo together by now.

Chrome. It's so... unpolished.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I caught this one last night too (ah the YouTube algorithm). I can see mixed reviews on MR of people who got theirs and love it, got theirs and don't like it, and so I cancelled my order. Only because I forgot my day to day credit card was the default in Apple Pay and it would've gone over the limit, doh. All sorted on the right card now, and looking forward so I can judge for myself before I give the old one away. Shame the i5 variant means I can't pick one up locally quicker, but I'm not really in a super rush or anything, it'll be something to look forward to.

It's currently my pick to replace my dual core 2012 Mini for basic home use. Benchmarks indicate double the performance in every category (more in graphics, fwiw) and it's SSD :toot:.

Though I have to admit I'm really curious to see what Apple's base model 13/14" Pro has, given the price of the spec I'm looking at (i5 + 16gb ram)...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

The mba would be leagues better if apple added a 1 inch heat pipe

Where's my aftermarket cooling scene gotta go fast :iiaca:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Tbh I bought the big trackpad and it’s great. I really hate using a mouse with macOS. Any mouse. Especially Apple mice, god I hate them most of all.

Also for anyone that needs to run Windows, if you don’t know, Microsoft makes freely available web browser test VMs available for dev work. Obviously they’re time limited in some respects, but like, they’re VMs that are always available, soooo

I love the trackpads 1 & 2 so much I haven't used a mouse since 2015.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The haptic "click" on the second one tricks me every time.

I kind of want to see a prototype keyboard with haptic divots for "keys".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Some dude on MR re-pasted his 2020 Air

:haw:

At least he took the heatsink off first, unlike Max Yuryev in his gimmick "water-cooling the 2020 Macbook Air" :airquote: "test".
He just slathers on the compound, then mashes the coldplate to the heatsink. :downs:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

pram posted:

this is also every MBP review since 2016. evergreen

This, but Blackberry and iPhones

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

Post your temperatures while:
1) YouTube
2) zoom video ON
3) outlook word and iTunes open/playing

For science

Also uh... Minecraft

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, my Mac Mini is almost 8 years old, and the only reason I'm upgrading is because it doesn't have hdmi 2/2.1 for 4k60 output, and that was a 3rd gen mobile dual core.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

Mac laptops haven't exactly been pinnacles of performance, even the 16" has already handily beaten by the new Ryzen laptops and it just came out.

Your Mac Mini doesn't have an integrated keyboard, and it doesn't have a laptop grade processor, it has a full on desktop CPU. Even when your Mac Mini was new, what kind of intensive workloads could it handle? It doesn't have a GPU.

The i5 3210m is a mobile series chip, actually.
HD 4000 (with 16gb ram for it to use full power) graphics can run unmodded Minecraft Java around 35fps at 720p.

But as I said, it doesn't have hdmi 2/2.1 for 4k streaming. Also I'd like a computer I can bring to the living room when I feel like poo poo posting.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 25, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

So let me make sure I have deduced the right ideas here.

Apple (thankfully) designed a MacBook Air without a heat pipe to help increase battery life because otherwise the battery would be used a lot more because the fans would spin more so it's a good thing the CPU gets limited.

Am I reading this right?

What would happen is this:
- cpu turbos up
- cpu backs down to hard coded wattage limit for sustained workloads*

* Even if you were water cooling it, it would still back down to 10/15 Watts, regardless of its temperature, so why engineer for 25 watts of cooling?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Speaking of bad YouTubers that don't do their research, I'm done with that Max Tech guy.

Dude doesn't know that the Air is constrained by its wattage limit (10w sustained) and not its thermal design.
Compares it to the XPS 13 and says, "Oh yeah, this does so much better because better cooling," :downswords:

No, you're comparing a 10 watt chip to a 15 watt chip. Performance is pretty directly correlated with the energy you can supply to it after the turbo winds down to the wattage limit.

"They both say 'i5' so they must be the same!"

:ughh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 1, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i guess the question for me is, is

- two extra ports
- higher tdp cpu with double the base clock
- P3 coverage screen
- touch bar
- 500 nits vs 350 nits
- no gold option

worth USD ~$340 extra compared to an i5 16gb 512 Air.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 4, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Isn't the current rumor for 2021?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tasks that require sustained performance will see noticeable gains due to the significantly higher TDP limit of 25/28 watts versus 10w for the i5 in the new Air.

iirc the previous 13" Pro could still do Final Cut Pro X tasks in half the time or so.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also the Air is available in gold and the Pro is not. You forgot that, but it’s very important (make me a GoldBook Pro, Apple, Jesus! :argh: )

Seriously, the entry level 8th gen with 16gb is only CAD $130 more than an equivalent Air, with a brighter screen and wider colour gamut, but... it doesn't come in gold. :negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

The base 2020 Pro with the 2018 CPU seems like a much much much muuuuuch better buy, to say nothing of being a better computer, than the base 2020 Air TBH.

Yeah, as someone looking to get 8 or 9 years of life out of their next Mac, Paying an extra CAD ~$130 over the i5 w/16gb for the 8th gen w/16gb doesn't look too bad.
And you get the brighter screen, wider color gamut, a little more battery, higher tdp limit...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 7, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I know a lot of Apple techs hate them probably because some of them have been traps for an ungodly amount of dirt and food debris. Funny how Apple people are either super duper clean or absolute slobs.

Can't they just... I dunno, take them off and clean them occasionally? :confused:

Like, I work at a bakery, and flour gets everywhere, but I still find the time to take off my phone case and clean it...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The new crop of actually-hands-on Macbook Pro vids are coming out today.
The cpu designation of the 10th-gen i7 was leaked a couple weeks ago, but now we can see the i5, via Max Tech:

i5-1038NG7
i7-1068NG7

the G7 is the designation for 64 execute units for the Intel Iris Plus Graphics (940), though the i7 might have a 50Hz higher clock or so if the Y-series was any indication. The N means it's a customized order for Apple specifically.
And according to Apple's Tech Specs product page, the i5 has 6mb L3 cache vs the i7's 8mb, if that matters for your workload.

Both cpus are 28 watts TDP. In Max Tech's Cinebench test the sustained clocks on the i5 were roughly double the Air's.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 8, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

USB-C: The only thing we agreed on is the shape.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

While the 4TB3 13" MBP in the 16/512 looks like a nice middle ground between the Air and the 16" MBP on paper, my brain may have also decided to make the jump to the 16" MBP once I saw that base 16" MBPs can be had for a hair under $2K on Slickdeals

God drat it I really wish they shipped to Canada.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Unarchiver, VLC Player, Open Emu

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 11, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"It's okay, they use 100% recycled aluminum now."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ah yes, great thing apple is working with nonprofits to unlock laptops based on documentation of transfer of ownership? no wait, they aren't doing this.

it reeks of the thing where upscale retailers would cut up the clothes they were throwing out to make sure the homeless couldn't wear them because it would be bad for their brand

According to AlJazeera English, they just straight up burn them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

I haven't bought a new monitor since 2010.

What monitors are we recommending for use with our fancy new MacBook pros these days?

Anything on this page: :getin:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/mac/mac-accessories/displays-mounts

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

well why not posted:

Firefox is way lower RAM usage but if you've got a dual core or a low clocked chip I find that it's spikes can cause weird lags and delays. Safari seems more performant but doesn't have all the features you love. YMMV

I wouldn't have to use Firefox if Apple hadn't removed the ability to use Tampermonkey... :mad:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm using Tampermonkey right now. Latest Safari. Latest macOS.

What the Hell, the last time I updated Safari (mid September last year) it removed it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, I found Tampermonkey on the extension store and bought it in a heartbeat. I have Facebook Unsponsored and Classic Youtube again! :neckbeard: