Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Oh man, probably going to get a MBA in the next couple weeks, just gotta decide between the 11" and the 13". It's a shame my iMac is the pre-thunderbolt one, so I won't be able to use it as a huge monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Man, I'm this close to getting a MBA. But occasionally I switch over to wanting an iPad, and with the spare money I could get a small netbook if I needed it. Goddamnit.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

Alternatively, I am fine with an MBA + external screen and iPad. I travel a lot more than I used to so having the ability to take my main computer everywhere is nice. The new MBAs are pretty powerful too.

Yeah, I seem to be in a similar situation to Star Wars Sex Parrot, but I'm not sure whether he's decided what to get yet!

Macbook Air would definitely make more sense for Uni, taking notes and doing work. I just know that I'll probably end up getting an iPad anyway, later on. This is going to cost, isn't it :(

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Am I right in thinking that the Educational Store gives you 3 years warranty for free?

When I'm looking on the site, it seems that the extras that you can buy are the extended telephone warranty, which I don't think I"m going to need as I have an Apple Store in my city. Is there anything else that this offers which I'm missing? Can't really find any terms and conditions anywhere.

Edit: In the UK.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Looking at buying a new laptop for uni work and stuff on the go, and the 13" air looks perfect for me. I have a 2007 Macbook Pro, but the logic board poo poo the bed last year and I never managed to get it fixed. Looks like I can get a new logic board for <£200 (and there's a place that will do it for £96 for a new one if I send them my broken one)...would that be a better option until the new Airs come out?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So I'm an idiot and didn't get around to getting the free HDD replacement for my 2010 iMac before it expired. It's hella slow when accessing the disk and the disk is pretty loud too. I wouldn't mind replacing it, partially for peace of mind and partially for speed and quietness. What are my options? I suppose i could do it myself but I think I'd rather pay someone else. Does anyone know what the Apple Store would charge for that kind of thing?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Can anyone help me identify why my iMac (27 inch, Mid 2010) running El Capitan is waking up from sleep every 2 minutes in the middle of the night?

code:
Jul  5 04:00:27 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:02:21 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:04:15 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:06:09 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:08:03 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:10:05 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:11:59 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:14:01 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:15:55 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:17:49 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:19:43 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:21:37 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:23:39 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:25:33 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:27:27 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul  5 04:29:29 iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Seems to be doing that between 2 and 4.30am every night. Outside of that, seems to be roughly every hour, which I think is normal-ish.

I wouldn't mind, but the HDD in my iMac is quite loud and it wake me up often.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm in the market for a new laptop, after getting sick of being tied to my desk with my iMac. I've been looking for a few months, but wanted to wait until the new MacBook pros came out. Unfortunately, they are a lot pricier in the UK than I was expecting.

How is the performance on the MacBook? I'll mainly be using it for web browsing, very occasional light photo and video editing, and the occasional game of Civ V or Kerbal Space Program.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So my mid 2010 iMac has started freezing shortly after boot, even in safe mode. The mouse cursor will continue to work, but all apps freeze, including Finder, and it needs a hard reset before I can do anything again. This is happening continually, only a few minutes after booting.

I've reset the SMC and PRAM, what else can I do to try and fix this?

Edit: problem doesn't seem to be happening in Boot Camp, I guess this needs a repair or clean install?

If it really is dead, I guess I'd better start looking at a replacement. Ideally I'd be spending closer to £1000 than £1500. Mainly web browsing, some light photo editing and (old) games (Civ V and Kerbal Space Progran). Some light dev work too, but nothing too involved. I love the portability of the Macbook, but should I really be looking at a Pro? I'm not averse to buying used/refurbed, but I also have access to the education store for that discount.

Pantsmaster Bill fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 8, 2017

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

[quote="“Pantsmaster Bill”" post="“477178159”"]
So my mid 2010 iMac has started freezing shortly after boot, even in safe mode. The mouse cursor will continue to work, but all apps freeze, including Finder, and it needs a hard reset before I can do anything again. This is happening continually, only a few minutes after booting.

I’ve reset the SMC and PRAM, what else can I do to try and fix this?

Edit: problem doesn’t seem to be happening in Boot Camp, I guess this needs a repair or clean install?

[/quote]

Used the hardware test utility, and looks like my hard drive is on its way out. My stuff is all backed up, but I might take this opportunity to sell/trade in while it's still mostly running and get something new.

How slow is the 2017 Macbook? I'm looking at that or the 13" Macbook Pro. I really like the portability of the Macbook, but I'm concerned it would be underpowered.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

If I'm looking at one of the non-touchbar macbook pros, I should probably at least upgrade to 16gb ram? It baffles me that that doesn't seem to be one of the popular configurations they keep in stock.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Is the 2015 version not thicker/heavier than the current MBP, or am I thinking of another model?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I took my broken mid 2010 iMac to a repair shop to look at, and the guy was amazed the hard drive even mounted given it was on 0% health in the diagnostics. He's installing a new SSD for me and cleaning out the dust.

I was cheap and decided against getting him to reinstall the OS, but now I'm looking it up I'm not 100% sure how to do it. What's my best option for a clean install? I think I have the original install CDs for it, but is there a better way?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I don't, but I can probably get hold of a download from a friend if needed. Is there any benefit to installing directly, rather than Snow Leopard->El Cap-->high Sierra? Other than the additional steps of course.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Dude just called me up and he's done it for free anyway, woo!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So looks like the dude didn't install the temperature sensor adapter, which is fine. I've installed a fan control app to bring the HDD fan speed down, but now my question is what should I be setting the temperature to at which it starts to speed the fan up? The default is 42C and I have no idea how high that is. It's quiet though!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

My mid-2010 iMac running High Sierra has recently stopped staying asleep. Looking at the syslog I get:

(AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: ?

There are two entries with that reason every minute or so. Any ideas what could be the cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm working from home for the foreseeable future but our IT won't let us take our monitors home, only our laptops. I've got a dell latitude 7490 with a USB-C output that usually connects to a dock, or an HDMI output.

My iMac is a mid-2010 27" model with a mini-DP input for target display mode. From what I've read, target display won't work with HDMI->miniDP, but it might with DP->miniDP. If I get something like this, do you think it'll work to allow the monitor output into the iMac in target display mode?