Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Speaking of RAM, what is the difference between DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) and DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)? Will my 2011 MBP recognize both? If so, is there any noticeable performance difference between the two or should I just go with whichever is cheapest at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
I can't believe I am even contemplating this, but I guess if there is anyone to ask this type of question, fellow goons would be it: I just bought a 15" MBP 3-4 weeks ago and now apparently Apple has tweaked the keyboard design for Lion. I would much rather have the Launchpad key instead of a Dashboard one. Should I try to see if they will swap mine out for the new design? If so, what would be the best approach? Call them? Make a Genius Bar appointment? Or should I just stop being such a goon and let it go?

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

SupahCoolX posted:

You could just remap the key to invoke Launchpad instead of Dashboard in System Preferences > Keyboard. That is reasonable. If you know that and just want the different icon printed on your key... well...

Thanks!

In case anyone else is interested, I did some googling and got this working by setting "Show Launchpad" to F4 in System Preferences, then used an app called FunctionFlip to swap the behavior of the F4 key so that pressing it activates a regular F4 keypress (and thus Launchpad) and Fn+F4 activates the built-in Dashboard function key.

It would be nice if they added a way to reassign this function key's behavior to Launchpad in a future update without having to rely on a third-party app.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

MrEnigma posted:

The G. Skill 2x4gb Laptop DDR3 1333 ram is available again.
$39.99 + 4gb flash drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

Thanks! I missed it by just a few minutes last time. Just placed my order but I didn't see anything about a flash drive.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
I am thinking about buying a used Mid-2009 13" MBP (MacBookPro5,5) for a family member. I was planning on putting the 4GB of DDR3 that came in my 2011 MBP into it. Will the 2009 model be able to recognize it and use it?

As a last minute aside, I am pretty new to the world of Macs; do you guys think $475 is a good price to pay for that old of a machine? Thanks!

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

Bob Morales posted:

That's a great price but the RAM probably won't work. In theory PC-10600 should be backwards compatible but for most people they need to get the PC3-8500 or whatever. You could always try, though.

Okay, thanks a lot for the quick response! I figured worst case scenarion, RAM is pretty cheap these days so if it doesn't work then no worries.

I assume it should have no problem running Lion? (especially if I upgrade the RAM to 4GB or 8GB)

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Hey guys, I have kind of an odd request and I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask. I'm trying to reduce the number of cables I have to plug/unplug each time I move my MacBook Pro to and from my desk. I have a set of Logitech speakers that connect via 3.5mm audio jack and would love to be able to plug them in via my USB hub instead. (So there is one less cable for me to connect each time.) Is there some type of adapter I could buy that would allow me to do this? I did some looking on Amazon and it seems the devices that do this are either specialized for smartphones or are full blown external sound cards. Will those work or is there a simpler device that will still use the MBP's internal sound card? Does what I am wanting exist? Is there a better thread for me to ask in? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

lord funk posted:

Any audio heading out the USB port would need a DAC to reconstruct it into an audio signal (and drivers to let the system know how to send audio out). That's why all you're finding are audio interfaces.

Ahh, that makes sense! So would something like this do what I am wanting? http://amzn.com/B001MSS6CS

Jolan posted:

Auriak: don't know about such adapters, but you could get a Bluetooth transmitter that you can plug your speakers in, and then use that as the audio-out device on your MacBook. I've got this and it's been working fine so far.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at similar devices, but they are a bit more expensive than what I'm willing to spend on something that is really only a minor inconvenience. Just out of curiosity (as a last resort), how well does Bluetooth stay connected to it? Do you have to tell it to find/reconnect to the device each time you get back in range?