Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I did some hardware upgrades to my early 2011 MBP this weekend and I never thought that adding an SSD would make that much of a difference but wow does it ever. It almost makes me wish I would have put it in my desktop instead.

One question I do have is does anyone know off hand why apple didn't roll out the firmware upgrade for power nap to the early 2011 models? Is it an Ivy bridge vs sandy bridge thing? Not that it really matters much its just something I'd like to have and can't see the reason why they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EtaBetaPi posted:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a rMBP? Assuming I'm okay (although not happy with) the cost.

Really only reason I can think of off the top of my head is that it's first gen hardware and V2.0 will no doubt be better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I moved from my early 2011 13 inch MBP (with 16 gigs of ram and an SSD) to the mid range (8/256) 13 inch rMBP and drat what a huge upgrade! My 2011 was no slouch by any means but this new machine is simply amazing. The battery life is insane and I love the screen. Also the new rMBP feels so much lighter then my old machine that I can't see any reason to go with the Air.

The 13 inch rMBP is so far an amazing piece of hardware.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I bought a new 15" rMBP from Bestbuy yesterday only to find out they dropped the price $250 today lol. Not a huge deal as they will price match it just a pain to go back to the store.

This makes the third time I went to that store though because the first rMBP had a faulty GPU it looked like. The first boot was just a garbled screen.

Coming from a early 2014 MBA this loving thing is nice. I'm still getting used to the keyboard but overall its really nice.

The touchbar is kinda nifty too I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think this might be the right place to ask but is there a quick way to switch to the Airpods on the Macbook? I know I can go into the sound settings and do it there but I feel like I'm missing an easier way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Go into bluetooth in system prefs and add the bluetooth menubar icon, you can pair from it.

Outstanding thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I swear this new MBP keyboard is going to be the death of me. Its just different enough where I'm making all kinds of mistakes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I got used to the keys, but I still dislike the Touch Bar. For me the Touch Bar is less convenient than the keys it replaced at its best, and just completely frustrating at its worst.

Also looks like I'm taking mine in for a new display when I find a few days that I can afford to be without it (read: Christmas). The display is starting to develop a distracting purple blotch.

Yeah I am still getting used to the touch bar and the keyboard. I am liking the touch bar so far though but I am by no means a power Mac user so the keys that it replaced I really didn't use much. So far though the touch bar is better for me but I can see how if you had been using the keys it replaced for years it would be frustrating to have lost that functionality.

The 15inch MBP is pretty loving nice though moving up from a 13 inch Air. I'm very happy with the move.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You could do a time machine back up to an external drive and just restore everything to the new SSD when you install it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah sorry maybe I’m confused as well I was reading it as you wanted to replace the mechanical drive with an SSD. I wouldn’t think that would be hard on a 2010.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Virtue posted:

Does apple run sales or deals near the end of the year on their laptops? Like a gift card or a free pair of headphones or something? Debating if I should buy now or wait a few weeks.

You’ll frequently get a better deal via third party sites like bestbuy, frys, or BHphoto.

Bestbuy had my MacBook $250 cheaper vs Apple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

Don’t get a mouse, MacBooks are insanely good to operate with the trackpad and carrying around a mouse is really not necessary.

Not empty quoting.

The trackpad IMO is the best on the market.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

brap posted:

Apple made a deal with the devil that let them make the best trackpads imaginable in exchange for being unable to ever make a good mouse.

Can’t speak for the new 15” touchpad though. It looks stupidly huge and I hear the palm rejection isn’t good enough.

Yeah I can speak to that. It’s great how big it is but yeah the palm rejection doesn’t work as good as it should. It’s not a deal breaker but it’s not perfect by any stretch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Any recs for a charger for the MacBook Air 13” (mid 2013)? Obviously the Apple charger is probably great, but it’s also fairly expensive and if I can get something that’ll last and offers the same performance I’d go for it.

I used this one for over a year with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EC1XZ2C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

Formatting the drive erases anything that could be tied to an Apple ID. There is no Activation Lock on Macs.

Do you think they will ever add that into Macs? I’m kinda surprised they haven’t done it yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My brand new 15 inch MB got some light scratches on it from the charging cable. It was on the under side but needless to say I don’t keep them in the same bag anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I only put on the top and bottom pieces, but I really like this on my MBP. In matte, you can't even see it.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/macbook-pro-15-inch-with-touch-bar

How much of a pain in the rear end was that to put on?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nervana posted:

If the charger is damaged, can it damage my MBP? I am going to assume the answer is yes, but I am going to the Apple Store now anyways. I have filed a report with TJ already. #prayforme

I would go for yes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tewdrig posted:

Any reason this can’t be a workhorse today? I imagine battery life won’t be what I expect on a new laptop, but I don’t need it to. It has a 2.5ghz chip (i7-2860QM), which benchmarks competitively to today’s chips. If I go from 4gb of ram to 8? 16? And replace the hard drive with an SSD (or replace the dvd with an SSD, seems like an option), then am I missing anything where this should still work like a champ for several years?

IMO if you do this then yes it should still run like a champ.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anker makes a 30W one that is significantly cheaper and probably better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I gave up using chrome on my MacBook years ago. It felt like it was going to melt the drat machine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've had my 15 inch TB for a few months now and I can see why people don't like it but I love it.

The keyboard on the other hand I still haven't gotten 100% used to it and I still like my 2013 MBP at home much better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

iPad Pro is already the perfect Air replacement

:yeah:

It might be too large for some but I love my 12.9 iPad Pro so much. It’s nearly perfect.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I just bought an anker usb c carger and it works great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This one also works.

Anker USB Type-C with Power Delivery 30W USB Wall Charger, PowerPort Speed 1 for Nexus 5X / 6P, LG G5, Pixel C, Samsung W700, MacBook 2015 / 2016, Mate Book, Moto Z and more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y427WT7?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

:shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What you want does not exist

And yes, the keyboard is not great, but the TouchBar is really the worst thing about the laptop.

Keyboard is for sure a step backwards but having gone from a 13 inch pro and Air I really like the touchbar (sorry TouchBar) now. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

B&H is a legit seller. I’d assume the deal should last over the weekend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

You can buy electronics driver kits at any hardware store these days that even includes pentalobes of all sizes

Like this but I only paid 20 on sale

Truly are magical times

Everyone should have one of these.

Floureon 38-piece Precision Screwdriver Set Repair Tool Kit for iPad,iPhone,PC,Watch,Samsung and Other Smartphone Tablet Computer Electronic Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SURH7W4?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I have one at work and home and it’s a life saver.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’ll echo the Anker. I’ve got two one for work and one for home and they definitely are the only 3rd party brand I would trust for USB-C stuff.

Also very reasonably priced.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No new air or MacBooks?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

No but you can buy a crayon accessory for your iPad!

:(

I like crayons! Will it work with all existing pros?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy has the 8GB/128GB 13" Air for $649 with the EDU coupon

Yeah I just came to post this. I did this deal a few years back and it was a fantastic light work machine till I upgraded to my 15 late last year.

$649 is a no brainer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I planned to pick up a laptop next month, but that Air deal at Best Buy was too good to pass up. This is exactly what I needed.

It's going to be connected to an external monitor 90% of the time, and when it is on the road its sole use will be boring text stuff, so the non-IPS screen doesn't bother me at all. A great keyboard and battery life were my main concerns. It helps that I haven't owned a laptop since the white plastic MacBook (which I adored), so even if the MBA's design is dated it feels new to me.

Like I said before it’s a great laptop and one hell of a deal for $649. I would still be using mine if didn’t need the 15.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I'm thinking about purchasing a set of 5.1 speakers that would connect to my Mac via optical. I've noticed that a lot of the more recent Macs don't have this anymore, if I had to get an external sound card for my future Macs how annoying/expensive would it be?

Uh that kinda depends on how deep down that rabbit hole you want to go. They can get ridiculously expensive but I’d say you could get a decent one in the $50-$100 range.

Or something like this would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coa...TCE45T61QTBTCHJ

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 19, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

CF and XQD are ancient specifications at this point. Yes they're superior in terms of transfer speed but if they haven't trickled into the average joe space by now it's unlikely they ever will.

SD is not dead or even dying. It was premature for laptops to stop including SD readers. :colbert:

That’s all well and good but what % of people even use the SD slot anymore? Honestly I know you guys are salty about it (not wrong) but I’d guess that most people could care less :shrug:

Edit! And if you are already carrying around your camera and poo poo throwing a 1 inch little reader into the camera bag is like a non issue. I dunno it would be nice for it to be built in but I can absolutely see why they dropped it. I’m quite sure they have hard numbers on the % that even use the drat thing

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 4, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I don't understand this logic, because they gained nothing of value by eliminating it and pissing off the smallish % of people that do use it. I mean by this logic what percentage of people ever touch the 'option' key on their keyboard, but yet they continue to produce a dedicated key for it.

My car has rear window child locks on a dedicated button by the drivers side armrest. What % of people use it? When you factor in childless adults, old people, people with teenagers, people who just don't give a poo poo, it's probably a single digit percentage. I just hit it by accident all the time. Yet they continue to sell the car with the button there. I'm sure Toyota would love to save $3.57 in manufacturing and then sell it as a $199 option at purchase, but they aren't being unbelievable assholes like Apple is here.

Lotta salty SD card users ITT.

I dunno I’m just saying yeah you all use it but y’all be in the minority here.

Also gained nothing but making the portable computer lighter and thinner 🤔

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Just wait for the outcry when they eliminate the headphone jack in the name of lighter and thinner. :v:

Hey man that’s why I got AirPods!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Went to open up my 2013 today to see if I could take out the SSD only to find it uses the lovely star-headed screws. 😒

Everyone should have this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SURH7W4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12.99 for everything you could ever need.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What the hell is RDF ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Theophany posted:

Reality Distortion Field

Oh I was thinking it had something to do with the Dutch.