Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Shaocaholica posted:

So the new keyboards are pretty unpopular for people who have to type a lot? I personally have only tried it in store. I don’t hate it but I don’t like it either.

Unpopular opinion: I love the new keyboard.

I have a 2017 13” rMBPT at work and a 2013 15” rMBP at home. I got so used to the 2017’s keyboard that using my home machine feels like a mushy mess. The speed of the short travel and general feel is great to me. Granted I haven’t gotten any crumbs in it yet but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t need the power or size of the 15” anymore, and I’m considering replacing it with the 12” MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

I have the chance to get my hands on one of these for super cheap or free: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-six-core-3.33-mid-2012-westmere-specs.html

I might have to replace the RAM. I’d be using it primarily as a Plex Server/VPN endpoint running macOS Server. If I wanted to upgrade/replace the hard drives for media, is it going to be a nightmare?

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

TACD posted:

Is it possible to download an album to your phone and explicitly tell it to stay downloaded? What immediately turned me off Apple Music during the free trial was trying to listen to albums I'd downloaded only to discover the phone had decided to erase half of the tracks while I was out somewhere with no signal.

Echoing the above posters. I have a smart playlist (remember those?) called “All Music” that automatically includes every music track in my library. Whenever I get a new device, the first thing I do is log in to Apple Music and download the All Music playlist, over 110GB worth. All new music added to my Library downloads automatically.

I’ve never been offline anywhere and unable to play a track... and I’m one of those idiots who pays for Apple Music and iTunes Match (again, remember that?).

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Because at the launch of Apple Music it wasn’t clear if, while it supported iTunes Match style uploading, there were limits on how much you could upload (there were limits on Spotify’s offering at the time). There was so much conflicting information and my library is big enough that I didn’t particularly want to risk it.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Apple Music includes Match and I think you can still buy Match by itself for $25/year.

I like Apple Music but the recommendation engine and curated playlists are nowhere near as good as spotify's. They also quietly added DJ mixes with from a company they bought out 4 years ago but it's so sparse and undeveloped, like so much of their other software.

That’s funny to me because Apple’s “similar artist” stations have helped me discover many new bands in weird genres. I like to call my taste in music “questionable at best” but thanks Apple for helping me find three more instrumental math-core bands today.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

I definitely impulse bought a spare Space Gray Magic Trackpad 2 the split second they announced they were discontinued. You know, just in case. :homebrew:

The only thing that will make me regret this purchase is if they release a trackpad (not keyboard) with Touch ID on it, which I will then also buy.

Make me regret this Apple!!!!!!

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, I've got a late 2013 rMBP as my main machine, and it runs fine. I'm looking forward to upgrading eventually, but I've been waiting to see what the 16" ARM ones are like to figure out if I do that this year or next. What's really amazing, though, is that I don't feel like I need to upgrade right now, even though this thing's eight years old.

I’m in the same boat. I want to upgrade my 2013 15” rMBP, and I love love love the 13” M1 MBP work gave me but… I just don’t feel I need to? The 2013 is still fine for my personal needs, aside from not getting new OS updates after Big Sur. And when I do upgrade it’ll probably be with an Mwhatever Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

trilobite terror posted:

I’m a computer

Stop all the downloading

help computer