Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Any suggestions on what to spend the $100 gift card on? I'm not finding much I'm interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Apparently I have the slower SSD but I'm not sure how to check the display panel. Bummer Apple

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

lemmiwinks posted:

Maybe I'll give it a few more days to see if it's a spotlight indexing issue. Either way the monitor is native 1080p and the font is super tiny on a 47" at about 7 feet away, and when it's at 720p it performs better but there's some fuzziness which I assume is due to the non-native resolution.

What I'm wondering about, though, is why the resolution should hit performance on the mini if it's just a hard drive/indexing issue. There's 4gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card, I just don't know why these resolutions should cause a slow down. The refresh rate is also set at 60hz.

My new Air attached to a 42" TV playing Netflix showed significant slowdown which is weird because my Atom powered netbook can power the TV without any noticeable issues. Maybe an issue with Lion? However, I would think word would be out already if there was that big of a problem.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you have it plugged into power?

Yeah.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

amf5 posted:

So, basically, anyone who actually needs a properly calibrated display can't use it for free.

I think that's the point.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Any opinions on the 13" vs 11" Air?

I bought the base model 13" but for the same cost I can get an 11" with the 1.8Ghz i7. That combined with the faster SSD in the 11s (the benchmarks I've seen show a 25% increase in read speed for the Samsung SSD) it seems that the 11" could see some not-insignificant performance increase over the base 13. The extra portability is a big plus, however I enjoy the extra resolution on the 13 and the bigger battery. I imagine most of the time I'm at home, though, I'll be plugged into an external monitor so I'm unsure about the benefit of the bigger screen is kinda lost at that point. Decisions decisions.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

flyboi posted:

I just want to point out you need at least 7072x3978 to get 300 ppi on a 27" iMac. On top of that "retina" 300 dpi being so crisp you could lick some boobies and think they were real is based off being 6-12" from your face. The further you get from the screen, the more ppi necessary.

Isn't it the opposite?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Anyone have any luck with Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters? I have a cable from the Apple store that cost $45 but wouldn't mind grabbing something for $5-$10 off of Amazon if they actually work.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Pertplus posted:

They don't

I missed that part of the OP originally, but the monoprice link does mention that the mini DP to HDMI passes audio. This isn't the case, though?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

movax posted:

Very good review. This jumped out at me:

Interested to hear some reports from goons who've hooked up their Airs to an external display.

I've only attempted it a few times. Mirroring my desktop onto a 1080p 42" TV, it performed fine, but when running both displays separately I noticed some slow downs. This was on my i5 13".

One thing I'd be interested in that Anand didn't cover is the battery life hit you take on the 11" going from the i5 to the i7. I'm probably going to exchange my 13 for an 11 and the i7 looks like it provides enough of an increase to make it worth it.

jfreder fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 28, 2011

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

ndrake posted:

Is there a way to upgrade the hard drive in my 2009 MBP without voiding the warranty? It's 5400 rpm, would I notice a difference in overall speed if I upgraded to 7200? Or should I just go from 4 to 8 gb of RAM?I know a SSD would be a big upgrade but so expensive. I have a year and a half of apple care left, I'd prefer to keep that in tact.

Upgrading your hard drive and/or memory doesn't void the warranty.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

qbert posted:

So do all 13" MBAs use the Toshiba drive, and all 11" models use the Samsung? Or are both drives mixed into both models?

Mixed

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I've read quite a few reports of the 2011 Airs taking longer to boot up than the 2010 Airs. My 13" certainly seemed to boot slower than 'instant.' Most people seem to think it's a Lion thing like you guessed.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Anand did a review of the i7 in the 11" Air and concluded that the upgrade was worth it. You get an average of 22% performance increase with basically zero impact on battery life (unless you are running at 100% CPU for extended periods of time). He also threw in that there wasn't a noticeable difference between the LG and Samsung panels.

11" i7 Anandtech Update

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
You could return it.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just an update: Apple's USB to Ethernet adapter works just fine with the 2011 Air.

Was about to test it out since my new i7 11" just showed up. You had me worried for a bit.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I think it is fine as long as you aren't using an underpowered adapter for the machine. Airs can use the 85W power brick for example, but a 17" MBP can't use the 45W ones.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Still having a hard time deciding between the 11 & 13 MBA.

Battery life doesn't seem to be that big an issue (+- 30 minutes according to Anandtech) but my main concern is the screen size.

What do people who have them think? I'd mainly use it for casual web-browsing & emailing. I already have a desktop and an ipad but want something usable on a couch.

For your use, I'd say 11". I originally bought the base 13" but returned it for an i7 11". The 13" is great and I really liked it, but I use an external monitor when doing work at home so I went with the most portable solution. The 11" definitely feels big enough to me now that I've had some time to play with it, but I wasn't sure until I had one at home. Playing with them at the Apple Store couldn't convince me. Remember that you have 14 days to decide to return one if you decide you want something bigger.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
So the thunderbolt port on my new Air has been acting up. I have an HDMI adapter from monoprice to hook up to an external monitor and my TV which works fine most of the time. However, seemingly randomly, the Air won't recognize anything plugged into the thunderbolt port. Today, two restarts fixed the issue but I was wondering if there is any known fix or update I should use.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

vty posted:

Any else of you returning your i5 MBA for the i7? I only have two days left on my return, still trying to decide.

My big thing was hoping this didn't do some crazy fan RPM when watching basic videos/movies, which it does, so hell, I might as well have the i7.

I'm also SLIGHTLY considering going from the 11" to the 13". I wish the 13" was 16:10.

I returned an i5 13" for an i7 11" and don't really have any regrets. I'd definitely go for the i7 in the 11" as Anand showed you get an average of 22% increase in performance when bumping up the processor.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

hootimus posted:

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this but...

I picked up a new 13" Core i5 MBA about 2 weeks ago. It is actually the first Mac I've owned and I really like it so far. However I have noticed that if I leave the dongle for a wireless mouse plugged into the laptop while it's sleeping, it will completely drain the battery in pretty short order (12 hours or so?), almost as if the laptop is not fully sleeping or something.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? Or a more relevant place to discuss this kind of stuff?

I'm pretty sure if you have something plugged into the USB, the computer won't go into deep sleep or hibernate or whatever you call it. I think that means the RAM stays powered but 12 hours seems pretty short for your battery draining.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I'm somewhat worried that my 11" Air would get yanked right off the table before the MagSafe would disconnect. This thing is pretty light and the little rubber feet slide pretty easily on my desk.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

movax posted:

No idea. It wasn't a really big selling point for me, I kinda lumped in with "look at the sexy industrial design of this machine". That leads me to wonder how much money Apple could make licensing it out, though obviously their market researchers have determined that it's equally as good to just keep it within the family.

MagSafe connectors on iOS devices would be loving amazing too.

Ahem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

~80 Gigs. I dunno, I would just feel claustrophobic only 80 or 120GB with an SSD. :(

You might discover that you dont need 80GB of music on you at all times.

Edit: Not to say that is necessarily the case for you. I just think a lot of people end up coming to this realization.

jfreder fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 21, 2011