Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Not really a hardware question but since I'm using it to buy apple hardware, how is their financing? I'm thinking about using that to buy the new air since I don't want to put it on my credit card but would like to hear from others before I commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So I figured out that it was the RAM that was causing my Mac Pro 1,1 problems. Or seems to be, although Tech Tool Deluxe didn't seem to have a problem with it. When I checked my computer yesterday AM it said I had 2GB RAM, then I shut down the machine and re-seated the RAM. Restarted it to see 6GB, worked fine for a few hours, then a kernel panic. I restarted, and it said I had 2GB again.

Tech Tool Deluxe keeps saying everything is fine, but I went ahead and ordered 4GB to replace this stuff with. Hopefully the existing stuff has a lifetime warranty so I can get that replaced and have 10GB, but is there a chance something else could be wrong? I'm in the middle of trying to turn over 2 film trailers and I can't even edit HD video anymore.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I've used Tech Tool Deluxe when I was a computer technician, and sometimes it just didn't catch bad ram. Most programs have a had time picking it up unless it's really hosed up.

I can a copy of memtest that runs on OSX I could send you. Send me a PM.

Just ran memtest and it couldn't detect any problems but the machine will sometimes register 2GB when i restart, sometimes 6. If it boots with 6, after 2 hours or so I have to reboot it because it keeps pausing when I'm trying to edit, playing about 4-8 frames (1/3 of a second) before stopping.

This is the last kernel panic I got which was while editing:

http://www.jasonboyce.com/download/kernelpanic.rtf

Dunno if it helps. memtest might not have seen anything because it couldn't lock the memory and i'm running it in regular mode, so wherever the bad ram is it just can't find it. I'm just hoping it's specifically the ram, otherwise it's probably a mobo issue and if that's the case then i'm truly hosed.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

japtor posted:

OWC says it can go to 8GB going by this page. I'm not sure there's anything to look out for, outside of searching for "mac" or "macbook" in the user reviews, that'll tend to be enough to tell you whether there's any problems with them.

Guess you can move the sticks around to check that right? Like just figure out which ones are filled then appear missing (TechTool or System Profiler should have that), then swap around and see if it happens to the same slots or if it follows the sticks.

And for the memory tests, I've heard it's best to run them off some special bootable disc, although I'm not sure of the reasoning. Either it can't test the full range or the system possibly taking up some of the bad memory.

Sometimes the memory shows up (it is showing up now) and sometimes it doesn't. But then doesn't the Mac Pro require that memory be installed to specific slots? There's a diagram showing that the first two sticks go in the front top two slots, then next two go in front bottom two, then back top, then back bottom. I can move it around and see if that causes fewer problems, but I don't know when. I'm finishing up one trailer now and am due to start working on a new project first thing in the AM which goes all weekend so I've got no idea when I can sit down and fart around with shutting it down, moving RAM, starting it up, running memtest, shutting down, moving RAM, starting it up, etc etc

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe it's a bad PRAM battery? Disconnect the network cable and reboot, if the time resets to Wed 7:00 you might want to get a new PRAM battery.

Also what video card is it using? Did you take it out and clean it if it has a fan?

Video card is a Radeon HD 4870, it has a fan but I cleaned it out only a couple months ago. I went over it again with the anti-dust spray yesterday as well, so I don't think that's the problem.

There's also a 7300GT in here but I don't think that has a fan. There's no network cable connected, I'm using airport for internet.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So I ran the whole memtest in single user mode and it didn't find any errors. I'll try pulling the 7300gt tonight since I don't use it anyways, otherwise it's looking like a mobo/memory slot problem. Thankfully I have the weekend off so I can spend some time doink doinking around with slot positions

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Welp, my new 4GB RAM arrived today, so I shut down the Mac Pro and added it. I restarted and it showed 10GB. Then I restarted into single-user mode and ran memtest. I went and cooked dinner, and when I came back, it had rebooted into the desktop and the fans were running full blast.

I restarted again, and it showed me only 6GB RAM. I shut it down, moved the 4GB that's on the bottom card (the one that's having the problems) to the other two slots and started it up again, still only showing 6GB RAM. At least the stuff on the top card is OK, but it looks like it needs to go to the Apple Store.

I'm hoping it's the card the RAM sits on and not the motherboard.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

I understand doing the basics, trying different slots and combinations of ram sticks and poo poo but the dude mail ordered some extra ram for something that was probably a logic board issue anyway.

Sorry dude, yeah I'm in the middle of working on two film trailers (one was due Thursday night) and a commercial, the Mac Pro is heavy as gently caress and I don't have a car so trying to finagle a ride is a big PITA. On the plus side, I moved the new 4GB and the old 4GB both to the top DIMM Riser which is good, so now it's reading 8GB RAM which is good enough to keep going.

I also don't have the money for a logic board replacement (MAYBE to replace the DIMM Riser if that's bad but certainly not the whole board) so my options and time are pretty limited.

The current bandaid seems to be holding okay, though, so hopefully once the summer is over and work slows down, then I can take it in for a thorough look. My backup computer is a 15" Powerbook so I really should have a better backup before I take this bad boy down either way.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I ran the "syslog |grep -i "Wake reason ="" to figure out why my mac keeps waking from sleep and it gave me : Wake reason = EHCI

I can only assume this means it's my magic mouse doing it - is there something I can do to stop this guy from waking my computer all the time?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

So long story short, I had to mess with the fans on a Mac Pro 1.1 due to a pysically failed temperature sensor. Everything seems to be fine now but I'm new to the OS X world of hardware tinkering.

What apps do you guys recommend to monitor CPU temp. I want to make sure my fix isn't going to ruin the system.

I use iStat Menus to monitor my heat levels.

As for graphics cards, I run a Radeon HD 4870 1GB and I flashed a PC version and it works just fine, been workin great for years. Playin all my games fine in OS X and Windows 7.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

On a Mac Pro 1.1? Will I need to hack any OS files to get it to work or will it work just like the factory card?

Yeah, my Mac Pro is a 1,1. I followed this site: http://web.me.com/jacobcroft/4870Flash/4870Flash.html

Worked without a hitch. Bought that exact card on eBay. You can probably find more options, but it can be done. I think the new Radeons have PC & Mac ROMs together but I'm not sure. Mine works fine.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sorry! This is more a software question.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 22, 2011

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

You can run Win 7 64bit on a Mac Pro 1,1. I'm running it. You have to jump through some hoops (creating a new installation DVD and such) but it can be done. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=815801

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Went to bed last night and put my Mac pro 1,1 to sleep, all was fine. Woke up this morning and the computer wouldn't wake up, instead the status light is blinking repeatedly. I unplugged it for a few minutes and re-seated the RAM and it's still doing it. Help?

One of the memory sliders already went bad but everything was working just fine 8 hours ago

EDIT: 2x2GB sticks went bad apparently, they're OWC so maybe I have a warranty on them, been using them for 3 or 4 years. I took out the bad slider, too, see if that has any effect. At least it's running now

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 11, 2011

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Does anyone know what the circuit boards that hold the memory on Mac Pros are called? The one on my Mac Pro 1,1 is bad (I'm pretty sure it is) but I don't know how to test it. If I put RAM on it and plug it in, it sometimes comes up and then has a kernel panic, or it just doesn't show up at all. If I put that same RAM on the other slider, it shows up in OS X just fine, no kernel panics.

So I imagine it's bad but A) I don't know how to prove it or B) how to replace it.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Cheers thanks for the link. Haven't tried the defective board in the first slot, I'm really kinda worried to. If it's a logic board problem that's even worse. OWC is RMAing 4GB of RAM for me so when that comes back through, I'll throw it on the bad board and swap them out see if it takes. I could swing replacing this riser, but I just can't see replacing the whole logic board, especially cos I'm hoping to sell it in a year or so.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

My magic mouse works great but lots of folks don't like theirs. Sucks for games, but great for After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Ableton Live, etc where I need to do long horizontal timeline scrolling. Wonderful for skipping back and forth over large chunks of time without having to zoom all the way out and back in. Smooth scrolling up and down, as well, but if you want to game then I would stick with a regular mouse, especially if you already have a trackpad.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I've had luck taking such drives to other computers, then mounting/first aid and then bringing it back to the main machine. I dunno why but sometimes when a disk that was usually mounted on the main computer would get disconnected, it just wouldn't re-mount until I took it to another machine and ran first aid, then brought it back.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I think if you hold down option+ delete that sends it right to the trash. It might be cmd+delete if option doesn't work.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Im having trouble getting my Mac pro 1,1 to start without the fans blasting all the time.

I just got my RMA ram from owc, I put it and the second memory riser back in, and now it starts up with fans at max every time I restart.

EDIT: I took out the new RAM, and it's running quiet again. Something must have been wrong with it, but I can't figure out what.

On the plus side, for anyone who remembers my earlier RAM problems, I've swapped all kinds of configurations to see if it was a bad board or a bad slot on the motherboard, and I'm currently running the 6GB that works on the "bad" board on the "bad" slot, so far everything fine. If I don't see any errors when I use After Effects and load up all the RAM, then I'll know it's just bad RAM.

Still don't know why that kept causing my fans to go to full.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 10, 2011

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Does anyone know why adding 4GB of RAM to my Mac Pro 1,1 would make all the fans turn on full-blast all the time as soon as it starts up? I just RMAd this RAM from OWC to replace the 4GB that went bad earlier, but every time I put it in the fans just clock up to full and won't quit. It's the same PC5300 667MHZ as what's in there now.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

With RAM in:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7872373/pix/WithRAM.jpg

Gonna take the RAM back out now and get another screen without the RAM in. It's really bizarre because the fans start speeding up as soon as the grey screen appears when I restart. CPU temp is also WAY up, 150 degrees when normally it hovers around 120º.

Here it is without the RAM:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7872373/pix/WithoutRAM.jpg

The biggest thing is that the CPU Fan & Exhaust Fan are at 500rpm whereas with the RAM in they're at 2800RPM.

Shaocaholica posted:

Do the fans stay at full blast when you get to the desktop? Are you sure its the memory thats causing it?

The fans rev up to full blast once the apple logo appears (it takes them about 30 seconds to hit full speed) and stay at full speed constantly until I shut the machine back down. Even if I let it sit at the desktop for a few minutes, there's no effect whatsoever on the fan speed. As soon as I turn the machine off and pull the RAM out, the machine starts back up and the fans are back to normal.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 12, 2011

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

How strong is the internal speaker on the mac pro? I'm using one at work to play music pretty softly, the tone & timbre are awful but it's enough to break up the sound of the fans. This won't damage the internal speaker will it?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So my Mac Pro is happily sleeping again. Bizarre, but I think it was changing from a dual-monitor setup to a single. Dunno if it was the video card or the cinema display or the Samsung monitor, but it hasn't fussed once since I disconnected the cinema display.

Terminal kept telling me it was a Bluetooth issue but my magic mouse being on or off had no effect. Hopefully this stays working as I'd be much happier sleeping it than shutting down every night.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Is the stock video card that game with a Mac Pro 1,1 (I think it's a 7300GT) worth anything? I just got evicted so I need to sell a lot of stuff real quick

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

flyboi posted:

Mac Pro HATES mixing nvidia and ati for some retarded reason.

I had this GeForce in the computer along with a PC Radeon 4870 I flashed, wound up taking the geforce out when Binary Badger suggested a number of months ago because the computer wouldn't sleep properly. Didn't affect anything but I never used the card anyway so I just left it out, but it wasn't giving me any issues when it was in there.

The machine eventually started sleeping fine when I went to using just one monitor instead of the two that I was running side-by-side before.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with an AMD Radeon HD 4870 that I flashed a few years ago, but the RAM on the card has gone bad, so I need to buy a new one. I'm willing to buy another 4870 and flash it again, but I'm wondering if there might be something easier now? I got the 4870 because I do a lot of graphics work in After Effects but also use boot camp to play some games like Bioshock and Batman Arkham City. Is there a cheap, quality video card I can buy that I can throw in my machine that'll work the same or is my best bet still to get another PC 4870 and flash it?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I'm having some major issues with my Mac Pro 1,1 and would love it if I could get some help figuring out some issues plaguing it.

It's been down for the last month because the main drive (a 180GB SSD) died right after a giant project, but at the same time when I went to restart the machine it would take over a minute before I got the chime. When I managed to boot the machine into windows, it showed that I only had 6GB of RAM instead of the normal 10.

I've pulled out all but the original 2GB of RAM that came with it and the SSD, and confirmed the SSD will not boot in other machines, so it looks like RAM and SSD died at the same time. But another issue is that whenever I unplug the machine, then plug it back in, it immediately starts up. I don't think it's the energy saver settings, since there hasn't been a mac OS in the hard drive for a month but it still does this anytime it's without power and plugged back in.

Could it be the power supply is failing as well? I reset the PRAM and SMC, but it still does it. However, without the bad RAM in the machine it will go to the chime in about 10 seconds, so it looks like that part is solved. I've ordered another SSD but I'm trying to figure out if I can save the machine by replacing that RAM/PSU or if I have to throw money in on a new machine.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Would flashing the firmware allow me to run Mavericks or a newer version of OS X? That's basically my only real complaint (assuming the rest of the hardware is still OK). I'll order a new backup battery, too. Thanks

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered the new drive so I'll have to find a Mavericks installer and get that ready for when the drive shows up early next week. I have a Radeon HD 4870 windows version that I flashed with a Mac BIOS so I think Mavericks should run fine, I was just concerned about just how difficult it would be to install, but since I have to reinstall everything from scratch anyways I guess I might as well go whole hog. I'll update when the drive arrives, thanks for the script and advice!

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

BobHoward posted:

To run it, plug in an 8GB USB key which you're okay with wiping completely, have the Mavericks installer app somewhere that Spotlight can see it, open Terminal, "cd" (change directory) to navigate wherever you put the script, then "sudo perl unsupported_mavs.pl". It will prompt you through the rest.

If you try it, let me know how it works out (this is the first I've published it, so fair warning there -- it has only ever been tested by me). Also, I recommend doing this on a spare drive first if you can. Mavericks does work nigh flawlessly on the MP1,1 (with 5770), but even with SFOTT or my script the install isn't quite as smooth. I think I remember having problems getting the firmware to even boot the USB key while a disk with a 10.6 install was attached; I may have had to pull out all the disk trays but the one I was going to do my install on.

Oh, and about your RAM troubles -- I had some disappearing RAM too, and it turned out that all my RAM was actually good, but some slots on my RAM riser cards have begun to not recognize specific modules. I was able to get them all recognized again by rearranging my DIMMs, and haven't seen any ECC errors logged, so the RAM seems to be fine. I found references on the net to other people having similar issues and apparently replacing the riser cards is the real fix.

FAKE EDIT: my script and SFOTT both automate the poo poo described in Bob Morales' link, including downloading the EFI32 bootloader from that very MacRumors forum thread.

Thanks for these links, unfortunately the perl script didn't work - it automated everything, but when I tried to boot using the drive, it failed and dumped me back to the OS. My only guess would be that the boot.efi didn't get changed somewhere, as the bob morales link did work. I got Mavericks up and running last night, now going to try to get it upgraded 10.9.4.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

You might want to install this script before you do that, as it will check at each boot and automatically copy back Tiamo's boot.efi if it gets replaced. With this installed I've taken a 2006 MP from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4 with no problems.

Thanks! This worked perfectly, I'm now on 10.9.4, up to 18GB RAM and installing FCP X (I know...).

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I have an old last-gen PowerBook with a busted DVD drive. Is it possible to install Ubuntu Linux onto this via target disk mode? Everything I've seen thus far requires a working DVD drive or a bootable USB drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Ihave a mac pro 1,1that is ready to be retired so i will be pulling the trigger on a new macbook pro as soon as they are available