Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Fresh new OS, hardware, and new discussion threads to boot. Today is a good day. :)

Those new 11" Airs are sexy as hell. I wonder how well Lion would run on 2 GBs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Rabid Snake posted:

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A2063)

Wonder if this is tied into that 'any new Mini or Air purchased can restore Lion over the internet' feature.

Has anyone tried Lion on a 2 GB Air yet? I'd highly consider one as it'd be a secondary computer for me, mostly for typing notes and documents on, but if it's a dog even at basic usage that'd be a bummer.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bob Morales posted:

Apple has the previous model refurb 11" for $749

Hot drat. Hope those are still available come August/September.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

maduin posted:

I'd actually bet there is no 13" MBP in the next refresh.

I like how as soon as the whitebook gets axed, the "will it die?" speculation immediately shifts to the 13" MBP. :v:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just going to throw it out there that a 13" MBP with no optical drive, discrete GPU, higher-res screen and user-serviceable HDD and RAM bay would own and also very much maintain justification for 'pro' classification.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Binary Badger posted:

Oh yeah, the 15-17 inch Air Pro rumors..

Not to rumor monger too much, but when the revamped Airs were debuted last year, they were billed as the "next generation of MacBooks", for whatever that's worth.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Now that I'm back from my 10 day vacation: someone give me a reason not to stop at an Apple Store on the way into work and buy a new 13" Air. :ohdear:

Because you'd rather have the 11" as a secondary machine?

Or so goes my thinking. Besides, you already have that giant-rear end iMac screen. :v:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

ndrake posted:

Is anyone using this fancy hybrid HD/SSD, the seagate momentus XT? It sounds nice, but I'm not sure how much I trust it to "learn" my commonly used files. Does this work in real life? If you dual boot with windows does it just confuse the hell out of the drive? And can you (or do you need to) use the trim enabler with lion for the SSD partition? Similarly, does the phantom lion recovery partition work well with this drive (i.e. it won't accidentally partition off part of the SSD that would be used for speeding up the computer, right?). I'm going to pick up either this or the WD scorpio black to upgrade my 09 MBP.

I had a Momentus XT in my old Macbook for a few months. I did notice a few programs opening more quickly, but beyond that it really wasn't noticeable or worth the money in my experience. Especially in your case with dual-booting, I'd suspect you'd see negligible gains over a traditional HDD. Just go with the Scorpio Black and save some money.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Has anyone tried Lion on a base 2010 11" MBA? I'm eyeing the refurbs pretty heavily for a portable secondary machine this fall, but I'm hesitant to drop $750 + tax on one if it's going to be a dog out of the gate.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

movax posted:

2GB of RAM is unacceptable for Lion IMHO, get 4GB or don't bother.

Out of curiosity, in what sense? Sandboxing in Safari would eat it up too quickly? Any other real-world scenarios?

I'm not really needing a ton of performance out of the thing, it'd be a secondary computer to take to campus to type documents/spreadsheets, plus web browsing, email, the usual. Nothing really intensive, but ideally I'd want it to last at least 2-3 years if I'm going to drop that much money on it.

My original plan was just to get a ~$400 netbook, but the 11.6" Lenovo X120e my campus store has for sale is $469 for an AMD single core, or $529 for the dual-core model, both with 2 GB of RAM and a standard HDD - if I'd be paying that much, I'd really rather just drop the money on a MBA and stay with Apple (provided my fall budget can afford it).

I mean, sure, I could get a full-fledged PC notebook for that money, but the emphasis is on lightness and portability since this wouldn't be my primary machine.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SERIOUS posted:

:words:

I'm guessing you've figured this out by now, but you should really just call ahead next time. Never take the 'promise' of some dude in a call center as a guarantee that anything will in fact have occurred in a completely separate retail location.

e: if anything I'd guess that 'THEIR ORDERS' was just him sending an email to this retail location.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 3, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

echobucket posted:

I've inherited a 2008 whitebook that has a dead hard drive and a dead battery. Are there any brands of third party batteries that are trustworthy and cheaper than the Apple one? It's $129 which seems kind of expensive to me.

Also, is it safe to put a 7200 rpm drive into a whitebook? or will there be heat issues?

There are third-party batteries, but they can be pretty hit or miss as far as quality goes. $129 is high, but it'll be as good as the battery the machine originally came with and will last for years (if you're keeping the machine that long).

7200 rpm drives are completely safe.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Calling people out on their personal perception of portability is pretty ridiculous, as if Apple's own line of laptops were sold in varying sizes and configurations purely on a whim and for no other reason(s). The Macbook Air doesn't exist purely because Steve said it'd be cool (well, maybe), it's because lots of people want a barely-there highly portable machine with decent specs. Similarly, other people want or need a capable portable workstation even if overall portability needs to be sacrificed. It's not a big deal.

e:

Sinestro posted:

A 17" will fit in my Bag of Holding, and I take it with me everywhere, so is there any reason that I should skip the chance for glorious 1920x1200?

I usually recommend that (if nearby) you visit an Apple store and check out the 17" models in person. Make sure you're fine with carrying that thing around before committing $2500+ to it.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 4, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
The battery issue on your MBP is probably due more to age/use than anything. Go under system profiler and check your battery stats - how many cycles are there? If it's more than a few hundred then your battery is behaving as expected.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SERIOUS posted:

Just when I thought I was done with the Apple Store from Hell....

I was moving my iMac, and holding it from the bottom of the screen, and something poked my finger.

I feel around and, on the bottom of the aluminum shell for the screen, is a ding....as if it was banged against the edge of a table or something.

It's not noticeable unless you feel for it, (and frankly I doubt it's even less than a millimeter in length) and it doesn't effect my computer's performance at all....but it definitely wasn't there BEFORE I left it at the store. (and the sheet i have of my repair shows "cosmetic condition: normal" so that establishes it wasn't there prior to my taking it in...)

So, just when I thought I'd never have to deal with this hellhole of an Apple Store again, now I have to go down there and ask why the hell my iMac has a tiny ding on the bottom of the screen's aluminum casing, that really could only have gotten there if it'd have been dropped along the edge of something.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Maybe you should just let it go, dude. It's a millimeter-sized ding on the bottom of the case that you never look at anyway. You don't strike me as the calmest person, so do you really want to go back to that store just to huff and puff in the manager's face for... what exactly? A useless iPod touch like you mentioned?

Bob Morales posted:

Did Steve ever explain why Apple still sells keyboards with white keys?

To match the mouse they usually ship with?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
You're certainly entitled to be aggravated and pursue resolution however you see fit. I just find it annoying since this is the Mac Hardware thread, not the Complain About Apple Retail Stores thread. If you need to vent, there are other, more productive outlets - sjobs@apple.com, Yelp, etc.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Scissors posted:

I'm interested in the ongoing saga too. It's Mac Hardware, and this is the Mac Hardware thread. I'm not sure if you're pissy because you're a genius bar employee and feel personally attacked, or just an super "Apple can do no wrong" fanboy who's getting his panties in a wad.

But whatever it is, SERIOUS has a pretty distinctive avatar, so just skip his posts if you dislike them so much.

Sorry dude. Didn't realize you'd take offense to me expressing, well, offense. :shobon: I'm just not clear on the benefit of further updates (beyond info on final resolution of the situation) when it's been firmly established this was a subpar Apple store that SERIOUS went to.

Inside Outside posted:

I have a quick question that Google isn't really helping me with. I just got the base model iMac with a numeric keyboard. The function buttons, the ones that adjust things like volume and brightness, either don't do anything or do the wrong thing. For example, Volume Up launches the dashboard, Brightness up does nothing, etc. As long as I'm asking, I was supposed to get Lion with this too, wasn't I? It's a brand new iMac from the Apple Store and it came with Snow Leopard.

God everything else is great about it though.

Check keyboard settings under System Preferences. It's possible to disable the default key functions and remap them to other functions, but I'm guessing you'd remember something like that. Do all the other keys work properly? It's possible you could have just gotten a lemon keyboard.

Also, you should qualify for the Lion up to date program, check the linked page for details. Could be the store was just trying to clear out the old inventory with the Snow Leopard boxes/keyboards.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Okay, here's a dumb question: what's the difference between 'inactive' memory and 'free' memory? I'm guessing a difference of unallocated memory versus allocated but not currently in use, but just wondering if there's (likely) more to it than that.

e: Now that I think of it, I have no idea what 'wired' means either. :downs:

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 8, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Thanks. I'll just assume any basic computer questions I'll have can be answered by the Apple support page from now on.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Are the new Macbook Airs glossy or matte? They almost looked matte to me, compared to how glossy the MBPs I saw were. Maybe it was the lighting, I thought I read they were glossy.

They're the same 'glossy' as the old MacBooks - it's not a matte display and will reflect light, but it doesn't have a large, extra-glossy piece of glass over the bezel as on the MBPs and iMacs.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Dual 6-core Mac Pro with 27" Thunderbolt display. Definitely. :shepface:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

movax posted:

You're liking the C2D 11" over an i5 MBP eh? Portability must be a big factor for you.

I'm eyeing those myself. If all you need it for is on-the-go basic productivity and have a more powerful machine at home already, why the hell not?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

movax posted:

I guess I just have a mental block against paying a bunch for "older" generation tech, that's all. Don't the i5 MBAs deliver better battery life as well? I don't recall the Anand graphs off-hand. How much is a 11" C2D Air vs. the base $999 i5 Air?

The base model 11.6" 2010 refurb goes for $749. Considering I was originally only budgeting ~$500 for a Lenovo X120e, $749 is already a bit of a stretch, but doable. $999, not as much, unless I'd like to go another semester sans laptop and pick one up this spring.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
At least MS Office has been getting better (even if marginally). I remember on my old blackbook, just having Entourage '04 open would cause the fans to spin up.

e: now that I think about it, that was probably because it had to use Rosetta, but still.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I think I made a mistake. I went to Best Buy to look at laptops a little while ago and wound up playing with a base 11" i5 MBA. Man, that thing is a lot faster than the C2D model from last year. I'm not sure I can still buy the C2D refurb and still feel okay about it. :smith:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Ugh. A base 2011 11.6" MBA goes for $949 on Amazon, which of course has no tax. However, if I want to opt for 4 GB of RAM, I have to BTO which would include TN's godawful sales tax (~10%), resulting in about $1140 (after edu discount). I think I could justify the extra expense for longevity's sake, but that's a damned expensive extra 2 GB of RAM.

e: wait, never mind, I forgot there's a second tier for the 11.6" MBA. The 128 GB/4 GB RAM model goes for $1139 on Amazon as luck would have it. That's a much easier pill to swallow with the bigger SSD.

Hopefully the ship times will die down in a couple weeks when I can afford to pull the trigger.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 14, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Argyle posted:

Where are you seeing these prices? When I search for MBA's on amazon I only get last year's models (sold by amazon). I see this year's models but they're being sold by some third-party vendor at ~$200 markups.

Because Amazon's prices are below MSRP, they can't openly display them. Third party prices are displayed in search, but when you add the model of choice sold by Amazon (not a third party vendor) to your cart, then you'll see the price. Look for the link on the product page saying 'X new from...' and that'll take you to the list of vendors for the model you're looking at.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

mayodreams posted:

We just tried it and the Apple Remote does not work with the new MBA's. :(

Seeing as Front Row was nixed with Lion, is this really surprising to anyone? They haven't shipped computers with remotes for a while either, it doesn't make sense to keep a receiver for a (for all intents and purposes) defunct feature.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
In case anyone was waiting on Amazon to pull the trigger on a new 11" MBA, looks like they're back in stock. 13" models still seem to be out, however.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just pulled the trigger on a new 11.6" MBA (4GB/128GB model) from Amazon. :toot: It'll be good to have a touchpad again, not to mention a portable computer. :v:

For using my iMac's DVD drive to install programs on the MBA, is it as simple as checking the 'DVD/CD Drive' checkbox under sharing preferences, then inserting a disc in the iMac and opening Finder on the MBA, or is there more to it?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I backed up to disc. :downs:

Also, perhaps this should go in the software thread, but - can you install Win7 via disc sharing, or does it have to be done with a USB image?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Hamburglar posted:

Alright, you guys were correct, and I'm an idiot. My wife wants nothing to do with the MacBook Air (she thinks it's great, but she gets everything she needs done with her iPhone/iPad). This is especially so because we just had a huge vet bill and could really use the money towards that instead.

I'm assuming there's no way to return this to Apple, correct? At least without getting a huge restocking fee?

I can't remember if you mentioned earlier if you're new to Apple or not, but if you're beyond the two week return period, you should have a very easy time selling the MBA for most of its original value. Check SA Mart and eBay to get an idea of typical selling prices.

e: Nevermind apparently, glad you weren't too late!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Hamburglar posted:

Not new to Apple products, just their desktops and laptops.

Interestingly, the order date WAS more than 2 weeks ago (just barely) but their website still took it. Great customer service by them is why I'll continue buying from them.

Awesome, glad it worked out. Anyway, Macs are essentially the Hondas of the computer resell market. :iiaca:

Question for multiple Mac owners: do you all do Time Machine backups via Time Capsule/Airport Extreme, or do you just worry about them for your primary computer? As is I have a USB external handling my backups on my iMac, with my MBA mostly working as a portable extension of the iMac with mostly the same files and the like. That said, I'm wondering for flexibility's sake if it'd be worth it to move the external to my AEBS and handle backups wirelessly for both computers, or if it'd be dog slow and not worth it as opposed to just copying important files over to the iMac for safe keeping.

Funny thing is, I suspect I have more to worry about failure-wise from my iMac's HDD than I do from the MBA's SSD.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Huh, I don't know why I didn't even consider that option. Obviously speed would be the same for the iMac, but how would it compare in the MBA's case to backing up via the AEBS? Any faster or slower?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

TheState posted:

Do they keep track of devices in terms of the people who own them? For instance, I had an iPad 2 with a display issue and now I have an iPhone 4 with a display issue. I'm just wondering if when I check in with an iPhone if they look at the history of all the other devices I've brought in and are like... this fuckin' guy again.

If this were the case, timb would have broken down long ago.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

h0bbes posted:

Cool, thanks. I haven't had a laptop before this but good to see it's not a big deal.

Contrary to what Bob Morales says, Apple does not recommend leaving your laptop plugged in at all times and says you should fully drain the battery at least once a month.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Having kind of an annoying problem with my new MBA. I don't use any bluetooth devices with this computer, so I'd like the bluetooth radio to default to off in order to save battery. However, despite repeatedly turning the radio off, it will often turn itself back on after waking from sleep, rebooting, etc. Is there any way to make the bluetooth radio stay off by default? Maybe this changed in Lion (or was something else hosed by my user migration from my iMac), but I seem to remember the bluetooth radio's state always being user-dependent on my blackbook running 10.4/10.6.

e: Nevermind, found a solution. Apparently there's a glitch in the bluetooth preference file.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 5, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

rear end Catchcum posted:

Can I run borderlands from the mac app store on my macbook air? i7 1.8 and 4gigs ram?

Probably, but you'll likely have to turn down some settings. The HD 3000 is slightly worse than last year's Nvidia 320M, but it does have more video memory, and the i7 won't hurt things a bit.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hot drat. There's a like new (new battery, new top case) black MacBook in SA-Mart. I want it. I miss mine.

Where were you 6 months ago when I sold mine? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SourKraut posted:

So are the other systems you pick up/show interest in mainly for collection purposes? I know I still sometimes go looking for older Macs solely so I can have them.

Every couple months I get the urge to pick up an iMac G3 on eBay just to gently caress around with - though by the time you throw in shipping, an Airport card and a copy of Puma or Jaguar, it gets less and less worth it. That said, they're kind of at a sweet spot right now where they're not old enough to be antiques, but they are old enough to be cheap as poo poo (at least for the iMac itself).

While we're at it, I'd also fancy a G4 Cube and a Newton someday.

Anyone else have any particular Macs they lust after?

(Also, in case anyone hasn't' seen it, this site is pretty awesome for nostalgia trips)