Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Money/space/terrible computer issues aside, I'd totally rock a 20th Anniversary Mac given the opportunity.

That one always felt sort of 'wrong' to me (perhaps influenced by the fact it was one of the last Macs designed before Steve returned) - its performance was on par with other Macs and yet cost nearly $10,000 for some reason (including ridiculous concierge delivery), plus with the flat CD disc tray, tiny LCD and included speakers it looks more like a stereo from the Sharper Image than a personal computer.

Still, definitely a curiosity and worth snatching up if you can find for a reasonable price.

e: apparently it debuted at $7500, not $9000, but still.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Autism Monday posted:

Will Apple do anything about cracking and peeling plastic on a 3 year old white MacBook? I'm not sure whether it's a known defect like the rubber bottom peeling off, but is seems like it could be worth a call to Apple's tech support even though the laptop's out of warranty? These cases were very poorly made...

Sure, just that if it's any portion other than the keyboard/trackpad piece, you'll have to pay for it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
My MBA's magsafe charger has a short in the wire, looks like it's time for the little guy's first genius appointment. Seeing as I can interrupt charging just by wiggling the wire a bit, hopefully they won't give me much trouble with getting it replaced.

This is my first experience with the 'traffic light' magsafe cord - are they more incident prone than the previous kind, or did I just get a lemon?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Charles Martel posted:

or am I looking in the wrong place?

If you're okay with dropping $2200+ on a laptop and were mainly balking at the chipset... well, Razer's got you covered.

Gotta admit, that trackpad would be pretty sweet if developers support it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Kilometers Davis posted:

With all the reasonably decent laptops coming out, why would someone buy an apple product if they don't want OSX? I just don't understand it. It seems likena huge waste of money.

Well, if you're looking for an ultrabook-class laptop, perhaps not. That said, buying a Mac and not even wanting to give OS X a fair shake is ridiculous enough to push that post into 'probably trolling' territory.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Small White Dragon posted:

Sidenote: One of Apple's recent knowledge base articles makes reference to a late 2011 iMac.

After digging around the MacRumors thread for the TB display article, the 'late 2011' iMac is apparently just the education-only 21.5" iMac released last month. Then again, August doesn't' really seem like 'late 2011'...

e: googling 'late 2011 iMac' just takes you to the Apple tech specs for the education model, which is listed as 'late 2011'. I'm guessing its inclusion on the TB document was just an error.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 17, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

BrokenDynasty posted:

I've decided to pull the trigger on a 120GB SSD in my MBP. If I want to replace my current stock HD, is it just as simple as taking out the existing one and swapping in the SSD and then booting from the installation discs? That way I can use my current drive to replace the blackbook drive I was going to be replacing anyway.

Yep. Super easy.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Alternately, assuming it's a home/office environment and not a strictly enforced work area, you could try redoing the layout of the room to get the iMac facing away from light sources.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Binary Badger posted:

If you have a 2.2 GHz processor it's at least a late 2007 model and therefore can take up to 6 GB of RAM. I have that much in my mid-2009 MacBook at it runs much better than it ever did at just 2. 6 GB isn't supported by Apple though, so if you ever have to take it in for repair put the original 2 GB back in.

Just throwing my anecdote in here, but depending on the type of repair (or more likely the genius), they may not care. My Macbook 2,1 had 3GB of RAM when I took it in for top case replacement and no one even mentioned it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

illcendiary posted:

Does Amazon typically take extra time to process computer orders? I bought a 13" MBA last night along with some protein powder, and the powder shipped out today but the laptop is still listed as "shipping soon." I have Amazon Prime so both should have two-day shipping. The powder will be here Saturday, and the expected delivery date of the computer is Monday. It's not a huge deal, I'm just wondering if that's normal.

Depends on the location of the distribution center where the computer is currently at. I ordered my MBA a couple months ago on Amazon (also with Prime) on a Tuesday, with expected delivery on Thursday. It didn't ship until Wednesday, but the tracking info showed it originated only a couple states away and it arrived on time Thursday.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
If anyone's interested, I just put my iMac up for sale in SA Mart.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Want a crazy deal on an iMac? Today's your lucky day! :shobon:

(Sorry to link my SA mart thread twice, but wanted to get some extra visibility after the price cut)

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mu Zeta posted:

Faster processors. It's just going to be a small bump, no redesign or anything major.

Pretty much this. Nothing big is going to happen until Ivy Bridge at the earliest.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Sang- posted:

Is it likely that the iMac will get a spec bump?

No one knows. That said, the MBP was previously updated in February, so a spec bump 8 months later isn't unexpected. The iMac, however, was updated in May, so I'd be surprised to see anything before early Spring, at which point Ivy Bridge will be on the horizon. In other words I wouldn't hold my breath.

quote:

Whats the maximum RAM a 27" iMac will take? Apple site suggests 16GB, but is that just limited by the stick size?

If you need more than 16GB, shouldn't you be looking at Mac Pros instead? :v:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

brc64 posted:

Every once in a while, my MacBook Air charges seems to decide it doesn't want to charge anymore. The orange light just goes off. Not green, just off. If I unplug it from the side and plug it back in, it turns green briefly, then back to orange, and starts charging again.

Is this something I should worry about?

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks after buying my MBA. Took it to the Apple store and it was replaced on the spot, smooth sailing since.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

brc64 posted:

It's not a problem that I can duplicate even though it's happened a few times now. Will the Apple Store people do anything if they can't duplicate it? I suppose I could try calling first and see what they tell me.

My problem, which sounds exactly like yours, was that there was a short in the magsafe cable such that when I wiggled the charging cable around, it would stop charging the macbook in certain positions. Just wiggle the cable around and keep an eye on the light to see if you can trigger it. Alternately, see if your backlight dims when playing with the cable, or just keep an eye on the battery icon in the menu bar.

When I took mine in, the genius mentioned that he had gone through four magsafe cables himself, so it seems a reasonably common problem and I doubt they'd give you much hassle.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hey guys, in case anyone's interested in a lightly-used 11" mid-2011 MBA, mine's for sale in SA Mart.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bob Morales posted:

Trying to beat the glut of MBA's for sale when new ones hit? I'm wondering if I should put my 2011 13" Air up right now...

Not exactly, but I figured it would be easier trying to sell before WWDC. Also willing to hear offers if anyone wants to haggle, but that's the last I'll mention it in this thread.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
And here I was thinking they'd just kill the 13" Pro altogether. One more generation, at least.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bob Morales posted:

It's their biggest selling computer isn't it?

I'm not sure. But I'm guessing it's their most profitable notebook, at least based on how long they've been using some of the components.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Well, I remember there being Air-only SSD options, but they're even more expensive than traditional SSDs. No idea how they fare quality wise.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I'd guess if they are debuting a new form factor, the 15" Pro will lead the charge with the 13" Pro catching up at the next revision (if not eventually axed in favor of promoting the 13" Air). Meanwhile the 13" Pro will continue to sell like crazy to college students using it as their sole computer.

If they are refreshing nearly 3/4 of the Mac line at once, changing the form factors for all of them as well would be a logistical nightmare.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Plus I don't think AirDrop would be supported on his old MBP (assuming it has Lion), but I could be wrong. In any case it'd probably be the slowest option, based on my experience with it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bob Morales posted:

So did I. Big deal. Chances are if you have the Air, you're not doing anything with it that's going to be greatly affected by upgrading.

Sold my 2011 Air two weeks ago. :cool:

And bought a Windows PC with the cash.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Watch the used market instead.

SA Mart at least, there have beeen several decent Macs lately.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

badjohny posted:

Store just came up and there is a big "new" above the mac pro. running slow so I can't load it up yet.

Mac Pro is a pretty incremental update, according to the Verge.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So how does the HD 4000 GPU compare to the HD 3000?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

jwoven posted:

It's too big and heavy. I'm coming from a 3 lb 13" laptop (The old Thinkpad X300), and the extra 1.5 pounds and extra size are a bit much. There's nothing wrong with it. It's thin, it's light for a laptop of the size, and it has the best screen around. If you're coming from a 14 or 15" laptop, it'll be a great change and a worthy upgrade. It's just not the ultraportable I'm looking for.

Gonna get a 13" Air.

Keep it for a year and then flip it for a retina MBA.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Any recommendations for the best bang-for-the-buck in a used Mac Mini? Not in any rush (especially since I'm guessing an update will come when ML releases) but I was thinking I'd like to eventually pick up one for around $300-$350, though I've never followed Minis that closely so I'm not as sure what to look for or avoid.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

FlashBangBob posted:

Well the $799 version of the Mini is a pretty nice bang, since it has the dedicated (albeit, 256MB) graphics card. However no bigger upgrade to the mini is possible unless you have an SSD in there. I bought the $599 version for $499 and put my own SSD, and 8 GB of RAM in it for a total cost of about $650, and this thing is the best machine for everything. This is, however, the minimum gaming or actual power-user machine.

Yeah, I already had a full-featured desktop PC for power use situations, I just wanted a cheap OS X device so I'm not cut off from that ecosystem.

After poking around a bit, it looks like the early 2009 Mac Mini may be the sweet spot, a few models are on eBay in the price range I mentioned and it will run Mountain Lion (though probably no further - here's hoping they ease off on the rapid updates!).

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

zinc68 posted:

Don't know if this is allowed, but I'm just about to post my 2011 mini on the marketplace since my new air just showed up. 350 is right around what I was looking for.

2011 mini
OSX 10.6
Superdrive
2.4 Core 2 Duo
2Gb 1067 DDr2
320Gb HD 5400 RPM

Hm, that's pretty tempting, but I'm really not in a position to pick one up until next month. I'll keep an eye out in SA Mart just in case anything changes, though.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're not following. Radios don't matter; if you don't have the horsepower to drive a fast WAN connection then it doesn't matter how many radios or simultaneous streams you support.

IIRC, it also doesn't support Gig-E, even though it does have an ethernet port.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So is there any way to use a Mac mini as a slave machine? It'd be really cool if my MBA could connect via Thunderbolt to a mini and use the mini's ports as its own. Ideally you'd even be able to use the mini's computing resources to run stuff on the MBA, though I'm not sure computers work exactly like that.

I was about to say you could share the Mini's disc drive for use with your Air, but if the Mini has a TB port then it doesn't have a disc drive. :downs:

FlashBangBob posted:

I'd like to just say that I am very jealous of your 100 Mb/s connection.

I was thinking the same thing. :v:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

FlashBangBob posted:

Anyone have had used the 2011 Air and the 2012 Air now and be willing to shed light on any major differences with performance, and if it's really at all noticeable?

This isn't scientific in the least, but a friend of mine picked up a 2012 13" MBA, and in general use I couldn't tell a difference between it and my (now sold) 2011 11" MBA. I didn't attempt anything that would tax the GPU, though, which is where the real difference would lie. Unless you're really hampered by the HD 3000 in the 2011 model, I wouldn't really see a point to upgrading, especially since I'd wager next year's update will have retina displays available.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So did it take anyone else forever to figure out that you could drag files by first clicking and holding down your left index finger, then using your right index finger to move the file around? For some reason I always attempted it with one hand until a few months ago.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

flyboi posted:

Mac2sell tried to tell me my 2011 15" mbp that I added a 128gb ssd to was worth $2400... I had to hold back my laughter.

That site also lowballed the poo poo out of my MBA when I was selling it a couple months ago. Never treat it as anything more than the absolute roughest of ballparks.

Ozmodiar, that MBP is not at all worth more than $200 given its shape, and you'd get much better value putting that money toward a newer Mac, hopefully one that could at least run Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Apologies if this post is deemed inappropriate for this thread - I figured the Mac hardware thread was more the domain of long time Apple nerds than, say, the iPhone thread.

Anyway, I know some people have mixed feelings on John Gruber and Daring Fireball, but is it just me or has his output dramatically slowed down in the past several months to year? I get that the appeal of being an independent blogger is not having any schedule you *have* to answer to, but it feels like the past few months have just been several days to nearly a full week of zero updates to his DF linked list - e.g. this week, besides his sponsorship post the last actual updates have been from last Friday up until his ‘iPhone announcement’ single sentence post that happened just a moment ago.

This applies to the podcast as well, too - he even had to rush a literal last moment Twitter Q&A episode in July to meet his sponsorship agreements. Given that he’s already having to make semi-regular posts about sponsorship slots for the DF RSS feed being wide open, you’d think he’d be encouraged to keep a regular stream of content going, but it just seems to be falling off rather dramatically. And it’s not as if there isn’t anything newsworthy - this week we even had Apple update the ancient Airport Express, something that would seem to at least merit a link and a quick blurb.

Obviously this isn’t anything important in any grand scheme, and the dude doesn’t owe anyone anything - but I’ve been reading his site for close to a decade so it’s disappointing to think he’s lost a step or is just phoning it in. Despite his obvious biases, he’s always had some pretty sharp insights about Apple and technology in general. That said, I’m just curious if it’s just me, or if other people are noticing it too.