Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

KidDynamite posted:

I have no idea every key but p repeats when held down. So I think it might be the p key is hosed.

If you're in Lion, they disabled key repeat in some/most apps, it seems

To restore the way it used to work, fire up terminal and type in
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false
then logout/login and it should be back to how you like it.

If you're still on SL, I have no idea, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I don't know how to check FPS in Starcraft II, but running the demo at 1900x1200 it looked great and performed as fast as I'd expect on the 2.5 mini.

I think if you mouseover the Menu button in the top left, it will pop up the frame rate. Failing that Ctrl-Alt-F on Windows gives FPS, so possible either Ctrl-Option F or Ctrl-Command F

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Having a few fun and games with this Mac Mini (Mid 2011) I picked up today.

First, bluetooth keyboard + trackpad wouldn't pair to it during setup assistant. I made sure they were unpaired from the Air, but they didn't register.Whipped out a USB keyb/mouse and did a migration from the Air.

After that finished, did a Software Update to pick up some Mini specific bits, rebooted, got a kernel panic :( but was fine after it rebooted. Bluetooth now also recognised the keyboard / trackpad so that's fine.

Migration really works nice - pretty much everything was setup how I had it on the Air, very pleased with that, which just leaves one small issue.

Every now and then, I've not been able to time it as it's only happened three times so far, there's a weirdly high pitched squealing that lasts 1 - 1.5 seconds then stops. I guess it's coming from the internal speaker, although I can't be sure. Disk Utility doesn't show any SMART issues with the disk - anyone familiar with this issue and know what causes it? Could Migration assistant have pulled over some Macbook Air driver by accident and its causing some kind of conflict?

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

andyf posted:

Every now and then, I've not been able to time it as it's only happened three times so far, there's a weirdly high pitched squealing that lasts 1 - 1.5 seconds then stops.

Seems I found a temporary fix for this so far by pulling out the USB dock connector cable for my iphone. Not made any noise since then. Most strange.

edit - gently caress it, the thing made noises again, including just now that scared the hell out of me like an old 28k modem mistraining. Gonna google a bit more and then I guess schedule a time at the nearby (50 miles :( ) apple store

andyf fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 30, 2011

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I managed to record the weird whine this Mini makes sometimes.
http://tindeck.com/listen/kqso

That's not healthy, right? :ohdear:

Should I book in at the Apple Store and take a copy of the sound on my phone (as the Mini probably won't do this on demand), is this generally the first stage of getting the problem rectified?

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Alright I've reserved a time on Monday to get this unhappy Mini looked at. Do I just need to take in the Mini and powersupply, or everything back in the original box? The Apple site seemed to suggest just the computer + power cable would be enough.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Well sorting out my troubled Mini has been nothing but positive.

Took it into the store, pretty busy but still got to talk to someone at the Bar almost spot-on at my appointment time. He'd never heard anything make the bleeps/whine before, nor had the senior guy he asked. Pretty much straight up offered to replace it.

The only snag was because I purchased through the online store, they couldn't replace it there and then, I'd have to go through the online returns system. So after a brief call with Applecare today, I have a replacement due *tomorrow* and have the current one all boxed up with its returns number.

Pretty amazed at the service, honestly.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

1997 posted:

Sounds good except that online purchases can be exchanged in store (unless it was custom to order).

That's what I thought, although maybe that's US only? The Genius Bar guy didn't mention anything about a custom build being an issue, just that the online and retail store methods are different. Either way, it was a tiny amount of extra effort, as I somehow remembered to keep all the packaging the Mini originally came in.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Wanted to give Facetime a test now I've got higher upload speed at home, but was presented with this rather unhappy looking mess when the built in camera (Retina Macbook 15) initialised itself:

I did a power off / cold boot and it was still doing this. I tried doing the hardware diagnostics by holding D when it booted up, but it ran through without a problem. It does also affect other apps, like Skype / Photo Booth too.

Anyone seen this / know what the fix is, or should I pretty much just get it booked in to the nearest Apple Store for a check?

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

What's the consensus on adding third-party ram to fill up empty ram slots in an iMac, e.g. a 2x4GB set of Crucial sticks to go alongside the 2x4GB from the factory. OK / not OK?

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Mac Pro's available to order from tomorrow
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/12/18All-New-Mac-Pro-Available-Starting-Tomorrow.html

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My 15" rMBP arrived yesterday, and I can't see any problems with the screen. Then again I'm not a MacRumors forums sperg.

I've got a 2012 rMBP 15" which I'm otherwise really happy with, but I grimaced a bit when I saw this earlier: (incoming lovely cameraphone image, sorry!)

There's textual and tweetbot showing through on the 1password grey lock screen. Tweetbot especially noticeable on the right side of the image, and textual's white window borders / scrollbars. I realise I hardly ever see it because it's just not that visible until something 50% grey pops up (so basically the 1PWD lock screen, and twitch.tv flash streams loading up before the video data comes through).

Is this considered 'bad' retention? If so, is it worth taking it to a fruit stand or is this just one of the risks of the first-gen retina screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Bob Morales posted:

If you can see it, it's bad. If it bothers you take it back.

I'd have to say it doesn't bother me. If it's not causing any permanent damage, I can happily live with it.